Start by marking “Girl with a Gun (An Annie Oakley Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl with a Gun (An Annie Oakley Mystery #1)

Girl with a Gun

(An Annie Oakley Mystery #1)

When a series of crimes take place soon after fifteen-year-old Annie Oakley joins Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, including the mysterious death of her Indian assistant, Annie fears someone is out to get her. With the help of a sassy, blue-blooded reporter, Annie sets out to solve the crimes that threaten her good name.

Fifteen-year-old Annie Oakley is the sole supporter of
Published June 19th 2018 by SparkPress

To ask other readers questions about Girl with a Gun, please sign up.
John Not at all. I am only 1/4 way through and the book is quite good. Nothing so far is graphic.…moreNot at all. I am only 1/4 way through and the book is quite good. Nothing so far is graphic. (less)
Don't Call Me Cupcake by Tara SheetsRainbirds by Clarissa GoenawanEverything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. LeeThe Queen of Hearts by Kimmery MartinNever Dare a Wicked Earl by Renee Ann Miller
Authors18
124 books — 197 voters
A Treacherous Curse by Deanna RaybournA Brush with Shadows by Anna Lee HuberWhy Kill the Innocent by C.S. HarrisThe Prisoner in the Castle by Susan Elia MacNealTo Die But Once by Jacqueline Winspear
Historical Mystery 2018
126 books — 203 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Girl with a Gun (An Annie Oakley Mystery #1)
ABookwormWithWine
/ 5

I am going to say right off the bat that I was pleasantly surprised by Girl with a Gun: An Annie Oakley Mystery by Kari Bovee. I thought the premise sounded really good, but I still wasn't sure what to expect. This book exceeded my expectations and was so fun to read.

Girl with a Gun focuses on 15 year-old Annie Mosey who is the sole provider for her mother and 2 younger brothers. The book begins by Annie going to a competition where the prize is $200 if you can outshoot the great
Maranda
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sharp Shoot'n, 15 year old, trapper, Champion of women and Indians Annie Mosey wants to wrangle her man. Whether it is the murderer of Indian friend Kimi or Frank Butler the star of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Scoundrels appear in this 1885 telling of the adventures of Annie Oakley. Figuring out who is trying to do her wrong is complicated when her horse Buck is poisoned! Lots going on in Bovee's narrative that takes the reader back to the old west. Mosey on Back for a trip to the past. "A ...more
Randee Green
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

GIRL WITH A GUN is the first novel in the Annie Oakley Mystery Series by Kari Bovee. The historical mystery novel is Kari Bovee’s debut, and it will be published on June 19th 2018 by SparkPress.

Fifteen-year-old Annie Oakley has just joined Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show, and her budding career as a female sharpshooter is not getting off to a good start. Yes, Annie is excelling at her new career, the audience in St. Louis adores her, and she is
Kathy Martin
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel stars a young Annie Oakley when she first joins Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show as a fifteen-year-old sharpshooter. She needs to money to support her mother and two younger siblings since the mother seems to only make bad choices in men since she became a widow. The current candidate is a drinker who has brought the family home near foreclosure.

The Show is a hotbed of secrets and jealousies. Annie's new and sudden popularity with the public has made for former star Frank Butler jealous.
Jeri
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-books
I so wanted to love this mystery, but it fell a little flat for me.

We meet a young Annie who wins a shooting contest and is invited to join Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. She quickly accepts since she is the sole support for her mother and two younger siblings. Once Annie is on the road a young girl is found dead. This seems to bother Annie and sets her to investigating, even though others write the death off and Annie doesn't seem to have a real connection to the girl. With others coming to be
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I wanted to love this book. Annie Oakley is a fascinating woman in history with plenty of sass, strength, and tricks up her sleeve. The concept of this book, a mystery surrounding the legendary entertainer while traveling with the Wild West Show, is excellent but the execution fell completely flat.
There was zero character development, the feelings the characters expressed for one another had little meaning because the author never shared the character's inner motivations or thoughts.
Even the
Minerva Spencer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read a western, but a great story is a great story! Bovee has an engaging, fun style that drew me in to the story from the beginning. Annie Oakley is an iconic figure in American history and Bovee does an excellent job depicting a woman who is resilient and clever and worthy of her larger-than-life image.

This was a a page-turner of a book I recommend to people who love history and great character-rich novels.
Constance Maloney
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun idea - to have a mystery series with Annie Oakley a the main character! For the novelty alone, I give it 4 stars and I look forward to future books in the series. I have one complaint: this is a book that should have historical notes. When incorporating real life characters and events into a historical piece, many of us like having notes that explain what in the fiction was real and what was not, and on what information/events the characters and plots were based.

I appreciated seeing
The Irregular Reader
The concept of a mystery story featuring Annie Oakley and Frank Butler, with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show as a backdrop is phenomenal and deeply interesting. Annie Oakley is an American legend whose life and career bridged the time period between America as a frontier and as a developed nation.

Unfortunately,the execution of this story did not live up to the concept. I found the pacing and the writing to be uneven, and the plot not fully thought out. Character development is also lacking. Annie
Cheryl
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a fan of the Wild West. I can remember reading some stories about Annie Oakley. I used to pretend that I was her. Thus I was excited to read this book. After reading this book, I do have to comment and say that I thought this was a quick and nice read.

The author did a good job of stay true for the most part about Annie Oakley. She was a favorite for me in this book. Although, she was not the only one. There is Buffalo Bill and love interest Frank Butler. For the time period of this story
Tammy Buchli
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Too many unnecessary historical inaccuracies. Annie Oakley was a fascinating woman who led a fascinating life, but nothing in this book reflected her. It’s as if the author did no research at all.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a free ARC ebook in exchange for a review.
Vern
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed your book Kari, well told story. The characters were well developed, a great story line that kept me turning the pages. Very cool....
Ellen Notbohm
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I wanted it to be—an engaging page turner and a chance to learn more about an iconic American woman during a transitional time in history. Most interesting to me was how the very young Annie, just 15 and already responsible for the financial support of her mother and siblings, had to quickly reconcile her Quaker sensibilities with the realities of the performing life in a traveling Wild West show. That she had little choice but to relinquish some of those strictures in ...more
Laura Boss
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A true American romance with a polished mystery tucked inside - and with the added plus of learning about this time period in American history. What's not to love?
Angela
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book follows a young Annie Oakley when she joins Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show. Soon after, her assistant suddenly dies and Annie suspects foul play. From there, a series of mysterious crimes and illnesses start taking place. Fearing she might be the next victim, it’s up to Annie to turn detective and find the culprit in this delightful read.

The author does a wonderful job of blending history and fiction. This is a well-researched book from the historical figures, sharpshooting,
Cara Noyes
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I did not want to put down! The only drawback was that I was able to figure out who dunnit by mid book. It is not your typical mystery, nor your typical Western. It is historical fiction, with murder and mayhem thrown in.

The characters are flawed but the vulnerabilities make them more believable. While I do not necessarily envision Annie Oakley as a sleuth, her investigation demonstrated intuition.

One of my favorite characters was the reporter who helped Annie by getting a
Karol
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads and I really enjoyed it. It held my interest thought out the whole book enough to get upset when I had to put it down. Great job Kari Bovee
Denice Langley
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love westerns and mysteries so decided this would be a perfect pick for an afternoon's read. I was right. The ladies in Buffalo Bill's shows were always a huge draw and Annie Oakley was one of the best. This story centers on her life as a young woman trying to get ahead and take care of her family. Then her assistant is murdered and she takes on the role of detective. What follows is an enjoyable read that includes many of the biggest names in western history.
Katherine Cowley
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery, history
A great novel using the historical character, Annie Oakley, and her time in the Wild West Show as a backdrop for murder. A murder that she must solve.

I loved the setting, the engaging characters, and especially how Annie Oakley's perspective was represented. I guessed the culprit rather early on, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the storytelling as the tension ramped up.
Janet Smith
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The beloved Annie Oakley is the main character in this book. The author paid close attention to the historical facts while spinning a tale of intrigue, romance and the Wild West show. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot recommend it enough. I can't wait for her to write another!
Sara
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Enjoyable quick read with a relatable heroine. Nothing groundbreaking, more on the cozy scale.
John
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun mystery novel with good character development. Definitely worth reading.
Nancy Reynolds
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy and quick read. I quite enjoyed the Annie Oakley character and the entire story. I loved the atmospher and period of the story. I found it quite enjoyable.
James Tritten
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great light and fun read that will take you to the old West’s most noteworthy wild west show and meet its most famous historical figures. A whodunit mystery, Girl with a Gun doubles as historical fiction – the word fiction is emphasized. Not everything that happens in Kari Bovée’s debut novel actually happened as Annie Mosey from Ohio transitioned to “Little Miss Sure Shot” in Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. Readers looking for a factual account should peruse the non-fiction and biography ...more
Martha Foster
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I feel bad about having to leave a negative review for this book, as I was looking forward to an “Annie Oakley mystery”, but the book kept getting worse and worse. Here are some of the problems with the book that gradually brought its rating down to 1 star for me:

1. Historical inaccuracies, such as people referring to someone’s illness as being caused by “a virus” when viruses hadn’t been discovered yet, and the term wouldn’t come into common parlance for another 1/2 century (at the least). The
Arden Belrose
I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to SparkPress and NetGalley, in return for my honest opinion.

An okay story set in Wild West, it's more suited to readers who like reading about Annie Oakley. Although, I can't guarantee the accuracy of the historical elements.

THE MYSTERY was way too easy and convoluted. Easy because I sussed out the killer early on, and convoluted because it took Annie two milleniums to find the culprit and only after jumping to conclusions each step of the
Mary E Trimble
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Kari Bovee has fictionalized true characters in her lively mystery, Girl with a Gun. The story begins in St. Louis, Missouri, 1885.

Fifteen year-old Annie Oakley is the sole supporter of her mother and two younger siblings. Annie is an excellent marksman and sells game to the local markets to make ends meet. While in town one day, she competes in a shooting contest and is invited to become a part of the renowned Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show.

Annie meets her assistant, Kimi, a
Phaedra221
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun mystery that plays with some of the facts about Annie Oakley, but that does not detract from the book.
In this novel, Annie is in a shooting contest with Frank Butler, and based on her sharp-shooting ability, she's asked to join Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, which she does. Shortly thereafter, Annie finds her tent-mate, an American Indian named Kimi, dead. It's considered to be death by natural causes, but Annie thinks she's been murdered. Both Chief Sitting Bull and the show's manager,
Connie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’ve been a fan of Annie Oakley ever since my high school opportunity to be a part of a community production of the musical based on her life. This novel borrows extensively from the characterization and fictionalized timeline of that musical. So you’d think I would have liked it, but it wound up disappointing this Oakley fan.

There are some unfortunate modernizations that made the story unbelievable in many ways. Most of my other objections are subjective as this is not as squeaky clean as I
Nancy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Do not confuse this book with another one I previously read titled Girl Waits With A Gun! That one was also historical fiction, also based on a real female character,and also first in a series. But I thought the other was a much better one. So, what I found less appealing in Girl With A Gun was it seemed to be written in a very simplistic style, I would call it YA (there is only one subtle sex scene), and also bordered on the romance category, which I hate.
That being said, I did read this book
« previous 1 3 next »

• Moriarty Meets His Match (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #1)
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
  • Comanche Sunset: Western Box Set (The Law Wranglers, # 1-3)
  • A Letter From America
  • Lattes and Lies (Comics and Coffee Case Files Book 2)
  • The Kingdom of Nefertiti (The Desert Queen #3)
  • Beloved Mother
  • Servant of the Crown: A Two Book Set (Servant of the Crown Mysteries)
  • Dose Vidanya (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Orphan Train Escape (Hearts On The Rails, #1)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • Lucas's Lady (Sunset Valley, #1)
  • A Hopeless Murder (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 1)
  • This Daring Journey (Heart of the Mountains Book, #6)
  • A Relic to Die For (Books to Die For Book 5)
  • New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • Lady Rample Steps Out (Lady Rample Mysteries #1)
  • The Northminster Mysteries Box Set 1: Books 1-3 (The Northminster Mysteries Box Sets)
Winner of the 2019 Hillerman Southwest Fiction Award.

Empowered women in history, horses, unconventional characters, and real-life historical events fill the pages of award-winning writer Kari Bovee's historical mystery musings and manuscripts.

Born in northern New Mexico, Kari developed a love of reading, writing, and history early in life. Her most treasured Christmas gift as a young child was a

An Annie Oakley Mystery (2 books)
  • Peccadillo at the Palace (An Annie Oakley Mystery #2)