Start by marking “John Wick, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
John Wick, Vol. 1

John Wick, Vol. 1

(John Wick #1)

When a young John Wick embarks upon an epic vendetta, he comes up against a strange, powerful community of assassins and must learn how to master the rules that guide their lethal business. What are the Three Bills? Who is Calamity? And why is John Wick seeking vengeance?
Published April 10th 2019 by Dynamite Comics

To ask other readers questions about John Wick, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Wick, Vol. 1

Start your review of John Wick, Vol. 1
Khurram
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. All the action from movies, condensed into one book. The legend of John Wick begins here.

A young man soft spoken, but with deadly intention and even deadlier skills. He is looking for revenge but people are taking notice of this deadly new player. He has two choices join up or be wiped out.

I love everything about this book. The artwork is great, and looks exactly like the movies. The action is awsome, and a great story as well. If you are a fan prepare t
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Hmmm... I don’t know. I mean, it’s kinda good but I’m really underwhelmed. In all fairness I was probably expecting too much from this comic, it being the origin story of one of the greatest characters in film history.
The story is pretty good and there is quite a bit of bad-ass action throughout. The villain was a bit lame and stereotypical (“look at me because I’m evil and just fuck things up because evil”) and it is anti-climactic at times. The art is mixed, somet
Chad
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2019
Some early John Wick where we see how he got involved with the Russians and the Continental in general. The story was interesting, fast-moving, and fun. The art was just so-so, typical on Dynamite books. Fans of John Wick will dig this.
Logan
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The origin of Baba Yaga, a Man of Focus! So I am a huge fan of the John Wick films, the original was such a great film and its sequel was pretty good! When I saw Greg Pak was writing a comic based on one of my favourite action films I'd thought I'd give it a read.

So this comic tells us part of John Wick's origin, mainly how he joined the Continental and became such a feared and respected hitman. John was living in a village in Mexico as a kid and after he stole from a gang of mercenaries, they
Renata
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fine, enjoyable read but it did not really provide me the John Wick/Continental backstory that I crave. Perhaps that information is being saved for another movie or perhaps it is simply unknowable.

There is a full page spread devoted to John Wick feeding a stray cat that I enjoyed very much. The art is very good because it looks like Keanu Reeves and I like to look at that.
Heather
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Wick is a favorite movie of mine and this graphic novel was fantastic. I loved digging into John's past and going on another bloody, murder spree with him!
Václav
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: digital, 2019
John Wick. I love that movie. Both of them. So I was really excited about this miniseries. You can't go wrong with John Wick, can you? Well, you can. This is like the origin of John Wick, his way to work for Russians. And the story is simple - hard feelings, revenge, nemesis. Even the story in movies is quite simple, but it had its finesse. And on this side, Greg Pak didn't deliver. But neither the artist. It doesn't look very aesthetic, it's rather chaotic, the shooting guns look weird (for pis ...more
Roy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A prequel of how he came to be John Wick. Im a fanboy of the movies so this was good fun.
Quintin Zimmermann
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
John Wick #1 - #5

It's John Wick. John Wick is cool. John Wick is sick.

But this reads like a comic, and comics these days are cool and sick.

This is not.
Shaun Stanley
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A super fun read that went by extremly quick. I would love to see more comic adventures of John Wick and flesh out his story.
T.L. Hill
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars just because I can tell it's Keanu Reeves. Actually read all 5 books.
Luna✮MyOwnBookAdventures✮
It was fun, but nothing special, not even for a John Wick fan \_(ツ)_/
I guess this franchise works best on screen.
Christopher
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
For as much as the John Wick movies feel like live-action comic books (they are probably the closest thing we will ever get to an adaptation of 100 Bullets), the franchise doesn't seem to translate well to the page. Maybe it's just that a static medium like comics cannot capture the kineticism of the films, but I found this whole thing underwhelming. The art is fine but it fails to capture the brutal beauty on display in the films, all of which boast some of the most gorgeous cinematography of t ...more
Jordan Anderson
Good, not great. Mildly entertaining, but not life changing or even that memorable.

And that’s kind of a bummer since both the John Wick films are so much fun and Greg Pak has proven he’s a good comic book author.

Then again, there were some enjoyable moments. It’s well paced, and non stop. The action is decent and Pak does an excellent job nailing Keanu’s portrayal of the character.

Would have liked a slightly better artist, or even a more brutal style, but regardless, I’m cr
Ross
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's John Wick. If you don't like John Wick, then move along.
Jacob
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fine read for John Wick fans looking for something in between films. It's little more than mimicry, from the character design that is Keanu Reeves to the hyper focus on the Continental to Wick's speech patterns. If they had spent half the time on story development--and the effective communication of it--that they spent on trying to materialize Keanu Reeves on page, this could have been more than decent.

If we were to consider this story canon to the film character of Wick (i
47Time
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-fiction
John Wick is a man of few words, none of which are memorable. If I remember correctly, the movie was pretty much the same in terms of dialogue. Hn, hmm, huh, ukk. This is half the dialogue in the story and most of it is from John. The story tries to be cool and serious, but ultimately ends up making me laugh. Which might be a plus.

John has found the men who killed several innocents 12 years before. He intends to avenge the dead, even if he brings down the full force of an assassin or
Bailee
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first edition in the John Wick Series is a comic exploring the backstory to John Wick. When John gets out of prison his attempt at a quiet life is once again interrupted. John is faced with taking on a powerful group of assassins. It becomes a race against time to stop them before it’s too late.

The first thing that I really loved was being put into John Wick’s world again. The comic does a great job of setting up the world and explaining certain aspects we did not get to see within the movi
Kylie Combs
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this standing in a Barnes and Noble so I might need to go back and read it again lol. I adore John Wick. Probably more than I should for various reasons, but that’s not what we’re here to talk about. When I first saw the film, I thought for sure it was based on a graphic novel and I was really mad I hadn’t heard of it. Turns out it’s not, so I was very excited to see this, especially considering I was about to see the third chapter in mere hours. The art is incredible, especially consider ...more
Shell Hunt
John Wick was not what I expected or really wanted, but I guess that's ok?
The story goes back and forth between the present day and 12 years ago.
Johnny saw some pretty messed up stuff when he was a kid and some dudes from his past are hunting him. I think this is a potential beginning to John Wick with the Continental, but idk. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.
I really enjoyed the artwork, the colors and drawings were perfect for the character of John Wick, but I expected more
Brannigan
I consider myself a huge John Wick fan so right off I enjoyed the book. It gives me more backstory for the character. I was hoping for more than I got, but I still enjoyed myself. I was looking for a true origin tale that explains how he got in the life or how he learned his skills but instead we see how he went from being a freelance assassin to working officially with the Russians. All while hunting some guys he had issue with from his childhood. The art for these style books (hero’s appearanc ...more
Symmonz
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gets 4 stars for the quality of the artwork, but 0 stars for the cheesy writing. The story idea wasn't bad, it was just told so poorly. The character communications were almost adolescent. In the movies, we are expecting action over scripting. And it works because it's a movie with lights and sound and music and all the things that grab our attention. With a graphic novel you don't get the same thing as far as attention-keeping action and etc, and the script needs to pull you through. Fortunatel ...more
Tanja L
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was ok, but i was a little disappointed. I expected to learn more about the universe, but nothing new was revealed. The story was basic, there were a lot of shootouts, but it didn't translate as well in the comics as it did in the movies. The ending also didn't make sense(view spoiler) I think my expectations were too high because of the movies.
Dakota Morgan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
John Wick's sublime action scenes don't translate to the comic book medium. I mean, the artists sure as hell try here, but it's not the same. Greg Pak's story is only intermittently interesting and understandable - although, let's be honest, the John Wick movies were kind of the same. The on-screen action more than made up for the plot holes there. No chance for that here. One small good thing? The artists do a great job of accurately portraying Keanu Reeves.
T Berry
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a John Wick origin story/prequel. If you liked that movie, you'll probably enjoy this. Though comics, being still images, may not quite show you as much as the motion of a movie, if that's what you're drawn to John Wick for. Even so, it definitely captures the feeling of that world and it's not too terribly difficult to overlook the lack of motion, for what this is.
Sandra
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book captures John Wick perfectly. Young John Wick is seeking revenge against human monsters from his past. His training did not prepare him for organizations with rules. Or Calamity. Who is Calamity and what does she represent. This read is populated by a good plot and over the top action. In other words, John Wick at his best.
AN
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.7/5) Full disclosure, I adore the John Wick universe. This comic was a great bit of background into John Wick himself, without giving his entire history away. I found that the comic doesn't have the same magic as the movies (for lack of a better word) but is still perfectly enjoyable, in character and beautifully illustrated. Fun, if short and a little quick.
Patrick
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comic version of the movie series provided some curious background information as to how John Wick became part of the underground. However at times it was a little choppy. Overall, definitely entertaining and those who enjoy the movie series will enjoy the comic series as well.
Kirsten
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This shouldn't need any explanation.

• Keanu Reeves in illustrative form
• John Wick backstory that I had been craving so desperately
• Room for many, MANY more volumes
• Lots and lots of graphic (pun fully intended) violence
• Terrible one-liners

What a time to be alive.
Ryk Stanton
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just recently watched the first two movie and was happy to see a graphic novel available on Hoopla. This is background material on Wick becoming the assassin he did, and i thought it was well-done. There are many stories to be told. I wish there was a series of novels, to be honest.

• Prodigy Vol. 1: The Evil Earth
  • American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 32: Rest In Peace
  • Hit-Girl, Volume 4: In Hollywood
  • Stranger Things: The Other Side (Graphic Novel Volume 1)
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: Copycats
  • Cemetery Beach
  • Kick-Ass, The New Girl: Book One
  • Star Wars: Vader - Dark Visions
  • Godzilla: Aftershock
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Straight Out of Brooklyn
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Mech Cadet Yu" for BOOM and “Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Weapon X" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “Make Comics Like the Pro ...more