Start by marking “Celtic Myth & Magick: Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series)” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  938 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Tap into the mythic power of the Celtic goddesses, gods, heroes, and heroines to aid your spiritual quests and magickal goals. Human and divine energies complement each other; when joined, they become a potent catalyst for true magick and change. Celtic Myth & Magick describes the energies of over 300 cross-referenced Celtic deities and heroic figures so you can quickl ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Myth & Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celtic Myth & Magick

Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mythologists, celtic pagans
Some people don't like Edain McCoy's books, they relegate them to "fluffy-bunny" status. I personally despise that term and think that the ones who use it are self-important wanna be know-it-alls. There, I said it, LOL. Whatever level ANYONE is in their own search for faith and spirituality should never be demeaned and condescended to as these people who use such a term tend to do.

I liked this book, it was more of a dictionary for me of some of the lesser known (to me) deities and figures in ce
Ron Fitzwater
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another in the large number of books on God and Spirituality I have read in my search for answers. Nope, haven't found any yet.
Kathleen Garber
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
It has a great listing of Celtic deities and some interesting stories of Merlin and such but isn't what I was expecting and not much help otherwise.
Melissa H.S.
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I loved the idea of this book, but being an avid reader of actual Celtic mythology, I found the reference portions of this book to be inaccurate. It was still interesting to read parts of the book, but it was difficult to take it seriously considering the inaccuracies.
Nikki Ashendorf
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know the celtic path
When I first started the craft 14 yrs ago, I was very interested in the celtic path as I am Irish, this is a great book for celtic information. I go back to it often to learn about different celtic deities.
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paganism
This book is perfect for those who need a reference book about celtic deities and who are not knowledgeable about celtic mythology. It is my case indeed.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: old-ways-stuff
Meh. I mean it was really involved and had a ton going on, but this one wasn't for me.
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Though much of the ritual and main text I find to be on the "fluffier" side, I find the appendice very helpful and keep the book on my shelf for quick reference to various Celtic deities. I always recommend this book as a reference book over a "how to". One can never have too many reference books in their "crafty" library and this is a great addition for cross referencing other materials you have or find on the internet.
Wanda Paryla
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for anyone on a Celtic involving spiritual path, or if you're just looking to bush up on Celtic deity and lore. If you're on a "magickal" path and are new, this book is a great introduction to Celtic gods and goddesses with many extras thrown in that are quite helpful. I've had mind for about 14 years and I still consider it a fantastic reference.
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome! Seriously. My favorite bit was the extensive list of all of the gods, goddesses and other characters from the Mabinogion and other tales. I don't work with deities but it was a large resource in one place and for that alone I think it's worthwhile.
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Michelle. I whole heartedly agree. All of Edain's books approach Wittan with common sense and a dose of reality that is missing in the books favored by those self important folks to whom you refer.
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
I love this book, it was reccommended to me by a very good friend. I have yet to read it from cover to cover but have been through it all. So now I am actually trying to read it properly, front to back.
Dec 21, 2010 marked it as to-read
I want to read it first
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Great book of myth by a well-researched writer.
William Brook
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
Love this as a reference <3
Joshua Fruth
Oct 07, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: new-age
This book is so horrible, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Jan 24, 2009 added it
Hah, I was weaned on this book!
Tiffany Baker
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read, helpful and explains so much of magickal talents
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Very nice book, my first about Celtic tradition.
Kellyn Brooks
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-copy
Wonderfully ornate and spiritually-led book on Celtic mythology and tradition. It has a handy glossary of Celtic gods and goddesses in the back, too!
Lady Morganna
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! It is expecially perfect for anyone who is interested in Celtic Gods & Goddesses!!!
Tonni Korzac groves
May 29, 2014
Dec 22, 2008
Jun 12, 2008
May 29, 2015
rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2011
Jan 05, 2013
  • Celtic Magic
  • Scottish Witchcraft: The History and Magick of the Picts
  • Halloween!
  • Magical Herbalism: The Secret Craft of the Wise (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Witches' Goddess