Start by marking “History of the World Map by Map” as Want to Read:
History of the World Map by Map

History of the World Map by Map

Maps don't just show us where to go, but also where we've been. A stunning overview of all human history, side by side with 140 custom maps.

Learn how something like the printing press can define a time, or how the Allies in Europe could defeat the Nazis. There is so much to read about in this remarkable history book, and just as much to look at.

Maps are more than the topog
Published October 23rd 2018 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about History of the World Map by Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of the World Map by Map

Start your review of History of the World Map by Map
K. Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this as a Christmas present for my mom this year -- I know she's going to love it. She's obsessed with maps and this book has a fantastic layout; it is also incredibly interesting to read!
Anna Rose
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This books is great to get an overview of various things, but I was very disappointed when it had a double page spread on the space race and not a single separate page on suffragette movements. I have also been very disappointed that almost every quote in the several hundred page book thought worth highlighting from a contemporary individual or modern academic has been by a man - literally only one has been by a woman that I've seen so far.

Additionally, the authors do seem to have tried not to w
Nicola
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting overview of the globe and its history, but saddened that almost every map was about war. I'd love to see a companion volume about art, literature, science, discovery, music and so on that didn't have a single war reference in it. Given that we're human, though, that's unlikely to be possible. But for history beginners, or beginners in history of particular periods or regions, it's a good browse-through book. Could lead people on to much more in-depth reading on subjects that grab the ...more
Noreen
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book of historical maps makes reading history fun. Reading appropriate map as I read The Western Heritage by Kagan, Ozment, Turner. No need for a separate book on historical timelines. Each map has. Timeline for the focus and surrounding area. A well done map gives a “feel” for sense of place, geographic scope. A class in Political Geography was a liberal arts optional class in some colleges. Sadly, Political geography classes went the way of Field Pharmacology classes in pharmacy school.
Mike Parkes
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, history, own, maps
Awesome, sumptuous and gorgeous reference work that is just what the title describes. As usual, proportionately more space is devoted to European events and cultures, but this book still does a pretty good job of covering the rest of the world’s history, particularly Asia. My only complaint is that some of the maps try to pack in too much information – using multiple different colours or designs in the legend that end up being too similar to one another. But that’s a minor complaint – this book ...more
Christopher Lutz
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just like the WWII Map by Map book, this DK coffee table book provides a wealth of historical information in beautiful, easy to understand maps. It works best with the various military campaigns in history, but also makes for interesting breakdowns of eras in history such as the Industrial Revolution. I’ve really begun to expand my interesting world history beyond a few specific eras and this boo has been a big part of that. I especially enjoyed the breakdowns of the Ancient World.
Ele
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History lovers, authors of historical fiction
The maps are very interesting and useful, though it would have been nice for pre-Roman mainland Europe (for example the Celts) - though I do realize the Romans did destroy most of the evidence so that we will never know anything about the Celts. I also am unhappy that most of the maps are for the modern era, as I was mostly looking for ancient ones.

This is also very useful if writing about the past, or trying to figure out what countries they are today if you have modern maps at the side.
Sam
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-made book if you're looking for a general overview of most of the major points in history. Despite a few typos in the French version that I read, it's a good starting point to spark an interest to delve deeper into certain periods, with the beautiful maps included providing a spark of intrigue.
Alexandru
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine history book. The good part - it is quite recent - it mentions event up to 2018. The bad part - the format - it is trying to compress a lot of info on a limited amount of pages and as a result, it is hard to read it. The maps are beautiful, but containing a lot of info in a vast period pf time. Not the best format in my view.
Vivian Wiltshire
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very entertaining book...a great coffee table book. Loved the graphics, photos and brief explanation of each time period...learned a lot in this book....love the cover...any history bluff would love this book. Gave this book a 3.75 out of 5 stars!
Jeff
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing depth and detail. Simply a wonderful resource for any history buff or map enthusiast. Cannot offer enough praise for this.
Kirsty
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
this book is utterly fascinating and just brilliant. Loving it completely
Max Godin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love history! That's a fact and anyone else who has the same passion for the subject as I do should certainly purchase this book!! The amount of information in the pages is close to overflowing, not to mention the wonderful pictures and diagrams that go side by side with it. We have European, Asian, African, North American, Romans to the Cold War, this is the sort of history book that should be in classrooms!!!
Eva
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing read + images/maps were great! Is full of informative information. Would recommend to everyone interested in history.
Nick
Great book, everything you need to know on an army's movements and the conquered territories.
Descriptive information.

• Treasures from the Map Room: A Journey through the Bodleian Collections
  • The Sonic Boom: How Sound Transforms the Way We Think, Feel, and Buy
  • I Am Sonia Sotomayor
  • Homo Deus: The Future of Mankind
  • Super Rabbit Boy vs. Super Rabbit Boss! (Press Start! #4)
  • A Galactic Easter! (Galaxy Zack, #7)
  • Chomp of the Meat-Eating Vegetables (The Notebook of Doom, #4)
  • Attack of the Shadow Smashers (The Notebook of Doom, #3)
  • Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman (Captain Underpants, #5)
  • Super Rabbit Racers! (Press Start! #3)
  • Bitter Lemons of Cyprus
  • Daughters of Wild Rose Bay (Sandy Cove, #4)
  • Who Where The First People?
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • Heart and Brain: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Dreams of Willow House (Sandy Cove, #3)
  • Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis
  • Flowers/The Award-Winning Works of Maodun Literature Prize

Dorling Kindersley (DK) is a British multinational publishing company specializing in illustrated reference books for adults and children in 62 languages. It is part of Penguin Random House, a consumer publishing company jointly owned by Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA and Pearson PLC. Bertelsmann owns 53% of the company and Pearson owns 47%.

Established in 1974, DK publishes a range of titles in genres