Start by marking “How to Feed Your Parents” as Want to Read:
How to Feed Your Parents

How to Feed Your Parents

Matilda Macaroni loves to try new foods, whether it’s her grandma’s jambalaya or sushi at a sleepover. But in this picture book, it’s finicky mom and dad—not the child—who eat only pizza with pepperoni (delivered), burgers from a bag, or noodles from a box. Eager to experience new flavors, Matilda secretly sets out to learn how to cook, satisfy her hunger for something mor ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by Union Square Kids (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about How to Feed Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Feed Your Parents

Start your review of How to Feed Your Parents
Hannah Greendale
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Mom and Dad are the picky eaters in this playful tale about exploring fresh foods and discovering the joy of cooking.

Matilda Macaroni takes one bite of her grandmother's delicious jambalaya and falls in love with food. She samples strange new dishes, discovers surprising new flavors, and learns to cook. When she brings her newfound love of food to the dinner table, her finicky parents learn there's so much more to dinner than take-out meals and pre-packaged frozen foods.
"The fridge is empty!
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is fun and silly. I love the way it flips the picky eater idea on its head, making the parents the ones reluctant to try new foods. A sweet story, full of chuckle-worthy moments.
Baby Bookworm
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is How To Feed Your Parents, written by Ryan Miller and illustrated by Hatem Aly, a fun flip-flopped tale of a family learning to try new foods.

Matilda Macaroni absolutely loves to try new foods whenever she can, but it’s usually only ever at friends’ or family’s homes. That’s because her parents only eat the things they know they like: chicken nuggets, pizza, ham
Lindsey
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very cute story about trying new foods. Fun illustrations.
Jana
This fun picture book is a cute turnabout in the relationship between parents and kids, one it comes to new foods. Typically children are picky eaters and are reluctant to try new things. Matilda Macaroni's parents, however, are truly picky and will only eat fast food or packaged foods that they like. Matilda loves trying new things and decides to take matters into her own hands to get her folks to try new foods. This would be a fun book to help develop a growth mindset and to inspire kids to tr ...more
Alec Brown
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gut-busters
This was a really cute book about a little girl who has picky parents. What kid can't relate to that ;)
She cooks for them and encourages them to try new things, kind of like what most parents do to their kids. The role reversal was well played, Ryan Miller, well played.
Pearl Bass
Oct 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Everyday diversity, VOCABULARY
Joanna
Oct 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great story that flips the tables! Instead of the kiddo (Matilda) being the picky eater who doesn’t want to try anything new, it’s her parents! Matilda’s grandmother introduces her to jambalaya and from then on Matilda is determined to try new foods despite her parents’ reluctance. She learns to cook and makes dinner for her parents one night that changes their minds. Soon everyone is cooking and trying new foods together. I love the detail to all the things Matilda needs to do to learn to coo ...more
Brittany
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved it! It was fun because Matilda Macaroni had to convince her parents to try ethnic and delicious foods. It makes me want expand my cooking endeavors.
Sean Musselman
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sawyer
"I think it's so funny that the little girl feeds her parents. My favorite meal is the tortilla." -Sawyer ...more
Melissa Uchiyama
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"I liked this book and it inspired me to try new foods. It made me laugh at certain parts of the book like the part where she made the food and her dad said, "This is not the food that I usually eat" and just stares at it, and there were no leftovers.

There were funny words like jambalaya which made me want to dance. I feel inspired to try jambalaya and I've tried more food than I would before I read this book!"---an awesome 8-year-old in Japan
Hannah
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the main character in this book. She is spunky and more curious about food than her parents. It's interesting to read a book in which the "picky eaters" are the parents. I can see kiddos getting some laughs out of that. I like how the book teaches that trying new foods can lead to delicious discoveries! ...more
Joanne Roberts
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A why-didn't-I-think-of-this book, How To Feed Your Parents delights with it's kid-friendly premise and its energetic illustrations. The parents' reactions to food coupled with the art made me laugh aloud. The spunky heroine is adorable. A few of the plot points could have been finessed, but this hilarious book is still a winner. Recipe included. ...more
Mama Bearian
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Matilda loves to try new foods, but her parents will only eat a very specific list of foods, including chicken nuggets, hamburgers, and pepperoni pizza. So Matilda comes up with a plan to get her parents to branch out. It's a fun role-reversal story that will get giggles out of even the pickiest of eaters. ...more
Renee Edwards
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My third grade class thoroughly enjoyed this clever picture book about trying new things and conquering fears. There was a strong, relatable message delivered with humor. My students especially loved the alliterations.
Melanie Allen
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our whole school (640 students) enjoyed this book during Read Across America Day. The kids loved the reverse perspective and learning about new foods. We are anxiously awaiting a sequel!
danel harris
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for all ages! I enjoyed the message to try new things and the importance of family time. Looking forward to trying a new quiche recipe!
Amy
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun role-reversal story. For educators, this one could be used for either instructional writing or nutrition units.
Stacy Shaneyfelt
Aug 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Perfect for adults and kids alike, this is one of the most enjoyable and LOL books that we’ve read this year. My daughters are 4 and 6.5 and begged me to read it again and again!
Tonja Drecker
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a flip-flop of more traditional sides, this book launches into a humorous yet clever tale which tickles the taste buds as well as the funny bone.

After eating Grandma's amazing jambalaya, Matilda loves to eat new foods. Her parents—not so much. They swear on cereal, pizza, and burgers and refuse to sway away from their favorites even for one little taste. Matilda, however, is determined to lead them to the wonders of variety and comes up with a plan.

The title already caught my attention and th
Lilith Day
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We love reading together with the kids. This book, however, is not just great for kids, but parents will get a kick out of it as well.

This book is about Matilda. She wants to try new foods but her parents will not let her. They have a few favorites and will not eat anything else. On day Matilda decides to take matters into her own hand and cook supper. Will her parents try the food or will they stick with the foods they like?

I found this book address a real issue many kids face in a fun manner.
Beth
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Matilda Macaroni is an adventurous eater. But she certainly doesn't get that from her parents.

While her parents only eat things like chicken nuggets, pizza, mac and cheese, and sugary cereal, Matilda would much prefer to eat quiche, jambalaya, miso soup, and sushi. Since she can't get those things from her parents, she resorts to making meals for her more sophisticated palate with her grandmother and babysitter.

When Matilda offers to make her parents a very safe meal of hamburgers and fries fo
Hang
This is such a funny picture book that shows roles in reversal. In this book, a young girl shares delicious foods with her parents, who are extremely picky. Her parents are constantly denying her food, but when there is nothing else to eat, they discover that they actually enjoy these new food! I loved how the book shared foods from different cultures and how it showed picky eaters trying and loving new foods. The illustrations were so well done and the story itself was very lovable.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the message in this! A girl is breaking the generational cycle in her family by showing them how to eat REAL food (not cheap, processed food only for convenience). I love that the parents act like kids (only wanting sugary cereals, whining when they have to try something new, throwing tantrums). Not to mention, the pictures are really darling. <3 <3
Chrissie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

The tables turn in this story about finicky eaters. This time it's the parents who won't eat anything unusual or outside their comfort zone. The daughter learns how to cook (with adult supervision of course) so she can show her parents a world of different foods.

This was a cute story that may help kids try something new, something outside their taste buds preferences.
Wendy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love how Matilda gets her picky parents to eat new foods - the adult and kid roles are reversed in this story. I may have to try this on my son! The book even comes with it's own quiche recipe to try. ...more
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very silly book about a daughter to wants her family to try new foods. While the story is silly I kind of feel bad that the little girl had to take charge of her family's cooking. This would make a good read aloud for elementary children. ...more
Eleanor W
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
as a mom i am not a fan of any books or shows that make parents look like morons which seems to be the norm for most shows these days. However I did like the idea of a child being interested in sharing the passion to try new foods with their parents.
Caroline Herfindahl
The whimsical illustrations of this book add to the clever way this little adventurous eater and foodie in the making gets her parents to try new foods when all they want is Mac and cheese or chicken nuggets!
Pam
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever role reversal as the parents are the picky eaters. Kids will relate to the humor and fun as Matilda convinces her parents to try new foods.
Love the expressions on the characters throughout the book.
Goodreads Librari...: author confusion 4 32 Feb 15, 2018 09:28PM

• We Don't Eat Our Classmates (Penelope Rex, #1)
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • How to Make Friends with a Ghost
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Dot
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden
  • The Little Butterfly That Could (A Very Impatient Caterpillar Book)
  • First Day Critter Jitters
  • Are You Eating Candy Without Me?
  • Perfect
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Itty-Bitty Kitty-Corn
  • The Midnight Fair
See top shelves…
There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.