Start by marking “How To Feed Your Parents” as Want to Read:
How To Feed Your Parents

How To Feed Your Parents

Matilda Macaroni loves to try new foods, whether it’s her grandma’s jambalaya or sushi at a sleepover. But in this picture book, it’s finicky mom and dad—not the child—who eat only pizza with pepperoni (delivered), burgers from a bag, or noodles from a box. Eager to experience new flavors, Matilda secretly sets out to learn how to cook, satisfy her hunger for something mor ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about How To Feed Your Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Feed Your Parents

Start your review of How To Feed Your Parents
Hannah Greendale
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Mom and Dad are the picky eaters in this playful tale about exploring fresh foods and discovering the joy of cooking.

Matilda Macaroni takes one bite of her grandmother's delicious jambalaya and falls in love with food. She samples strange new dishes, discovers surprising new flavors, and learns to cook. When she brings her newfound love of food to the dinner table, her finicky parents learn there's so much more to dinner than take-out meals and pre-packaged frozen foods.
"The fridge is empty!
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is fun and silly. I love the way it flips the picky eater idea on its head, making the parents the ones reluctant to try new foods. A sweet story, full of chuckle-worthy moments.
Baby Bookworm
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is How To Feed Your Parents, written by Ryan Miller and illustrated by Hatem Aly, a fun flip-flopped tale of a family learning to try new foods.

Matilda Macaroni absolutely loves to try new foods whenever she can, but it’s usually only ever at friends’ or family’s homes. That’s because her parents only eat the things they know they like: chicken nuggets, pizza, ham
Lindsey
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very cute story about trying new foods. Fun illustrations.
Jana
This fun picture book is a cute turnabout in the relationship between parents and kids, one it comes to new foods. Typically children are picky eaters and are reluctant to try new things. Matilda Macaroni's parents, however, are truly picky and will only eat fast food or packaged foods that they like. Matilda loves trying new things and decides to take matters into her own hands to get her folks to try new foods. This would be a fun book to help develop a growth mindset and to inspire kids to tr ...more
Alec Brown
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gut-busters
This was a really cute book about a little girl who has picky parents. What kid can't relate to that ;)
She cooks for them and encourages them to try new things, kind of like what most parents do to their kids. The role reversal was well played, Ryan Miller, well played.
Brittany
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved it! It was fun because Matilda Macaroni had to convince her parents to try ethnic and delicious foods. It makes me want expand my cooking endeavors.
MusselmanBoys
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sawyer
"I think it's so funny that the little girl feeds her parents. My favorite meal is the tortilla." -Sawyer
Renee Edwards
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My third grade class thoroughly enjoyed this clever picture book about trying new things and conquering fears. There was a strong, relatable message delivered with humor. My students especially loved the alliterations.
Melanie Allen
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our whole school (640 students) enjoyed this book during Read Across America Day. The kids loved the reverse perspective and learning about new foods. We are anxiously awaiting a sequel!
danel harris
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for all ages! I enjoyed the message to try new things and the importance of family time. Looking forward to trying a new quiche recipe!
Tonja Drecker
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a flip-flop of more traditional sides, this book launches into a humorous yet clever tale which tickles the taste buds as well as the funny bone.

After eating Grandma's amazing jambalaya, Matilda loves to eat new foods. Her parents—not so much. They swear on cereal, pizza, and burgers and refuse to sway away from their favorites even for one little taste. Matilda, however, is determined to lead them to the wonders of variety and comes up with a plan.

The title already caught my attention and th
Lilith Day
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We love reading together with the kids. This book, however, is not just great for kids, but parents will get a kick out of it as well.

This book is about Matilda. She wants to try new foods but her parents will not let her. They have a few favorites and will not eat anything else. On day Matilda decides to take matters into her own hand and cook supper. Will her parents try the food or will they stick with the foods they like?

I found this book address a real issue many kids face in a fun manner.
Beth
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Matilda Macaroni is an adventurous eater. But she certainly doesn't get that from her parents.

While her parents only eat things like chicken nuggets, pizza, mac and cheese, and sugary cereal, Matilda would much prefer to eat quiche, jambalaya, miso soup, and sushi. Since she can't get those things from her parents, she resorts to making meals for her more sophisticated palate with her grandmother and babysitter.

When Matilda offers to make her parents a very safe meal of hamburgers and fries fo
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the message in this! A girl is breaking the generational cycle in her family by showing them how to eat REAL food (not cheap, processed food only for convenience). I love that the parents act like kids (only wanting sugary cereals, whining when they have to try something new, throwing tantrums). Not to mention, the pictures are really darling. <3 <3 ...more
Chrissie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

The tables turn in this story about finicky eaters. This time it's the parents who won't eat anything unusual or outside their comfort zone. The daughter learns how to cook (with adult supervision of course) so she can show her parents a world of different foods.

This was a cute story that may help kids try something new, something outside their taste buds preferences.
Hannah
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the main character in this book. She is spunky and more curious about food than her parents. It's interesting to read a book in which the "picky eaters" are the parents. I can see kiddos getting some laughs out of that. I like how the book teaches that trying new foods can lead to delicious discoveries!
Joanne Roberts
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A why-didn't-I-think-of-this book, How To Feed Your Parents delights with it's kid-friendly premise and its energetic illustrations. The parents' reactions to food coupled with the art made me laugh aloud. The spunky heroine is adorable. A few of the plot points could have been finessed, but this hilarious book is still a winner. Recipe included.
Wendy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love how Matilda gets her picky parents to eat new foods - the adult and kid roles are reversed in this story. I may have to try this on my son! The book even comes with it's own quiche recipe to try.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very silly book about a daughter to wants her family to try new foods. While the story is silly I kind of feel bad that the little girl had to take charge of her family's cooking. This would make a good read aloud for elementary children.
Eleanor W
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
as a mom i am not a fan of any books or shows that make parents look like morons which seems to be the norm for most shows these days. However I did like the idea of a child being interested in sharing the passion to try new foods with their parents.
Caroline Herfindahl
The whimsical illustrations of this book add to the clever way this little adventurous eater and foodie in the making gets her parents to try new foods when all they want is Mac and cheese or chicken nuggets!
Pam
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever role reversal as the parents are the picky eaters. Kids will relate to the humor and fun as Matilda convinces her parents to try new foods.
Love the expressions on the characters throughout the book.
April
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
a cute look at what it would be like to switch places with your child for a change!
Stacia Reichelt
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
Definitely cute and might work with some kids, but mine saw right through it and felt like it was manipulative
Steph
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just darling!
Krysta
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny, but perhaps a bit long for reading aloud to younger children or story times.
Kelly
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Typically, it's the parents who struggle to get the child to eat new foods. But it's the other way around in this picture book.
Tracy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kiddo
A little heavy-handed. I think kiddo would see right through it.
Goodreads Librari...: author confusion 4 31 Feb 15, 2018 09:28PM

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • High Five
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • The Wish Tree
  • Another
  • Hey, Water!
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Saturday
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Dandy
  • Perfect
  • Sophie Johnson, Unicorn Expert
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
When Ryan Miller was 4, he declared he wanted to be a writer and that he didn’t like onions, raw tomatoes, mushrooms, and most types of meat. Sixteen years later, in college, he began writing professionally and found that he actually enjoyed just about everything on his “will not eat” list. He has since worked as a columnist, reporter, newspaper editor, online marketer, and blogger, sometimes all ...more

News & Interviews