Start by marking “Vacation” as Want to Read:
Vacation

Vacation

Time moves slowly on vacation. And for someone who has spent a long time entertaining themselves and has had the garden, the kitchen, forest paths, the lake, and even Grandpa all to herself, it can be hard to invite another in on the fun. So when a young girl’s grandfather brings an elephant home to stay, she is not pleased at all. Nostalgic and often dreamlike, this wordl ...more
Published March 6th 2018 by Enchanted Lion Books

To ask other readers questions about Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vacation

Rachel
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art, but I found myself verrrry confused by the dreamlike story. I definitely enjoyed it regardless, but truly I have no idea what I just read.
Jason
I have no idea what to make of this. I need to read it again more carefully. I can see that it has substance, I have no idea whom its intended audience is. I feel like it will get lost in the comics section and it's not the right shape for picture books (and so will likely get lost there, too).
Elizabeth☮
Beautiful artwork in this one. A nice look at taking a vacation and entertaining yourself in a new place.
GraceAnne
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The art of this wordless story is soft and dreamlike, and I keep wanting to say nice as in neat, apt, elegant. One can look at the pictures for a long time, watching a girl, and her grandfather, and the countryside, and her dreams, and who interrupts all this. Surreal certainly, but also very real. First published in France.
Natalie Pietro
What a beautiful book. To start I loved the hardcover vintage look of this book. The pages felt amazingly like wallpaper. I kept making my sons touch the pages. I was fascinated with the texture. This wordless book left much to the imagination.
My son Nico was a bit confused. We have read graphic novels before but not many with no words. Nico kept asking "how can we read a book if there are no words?" "You use your imagination" I stated. "Then you can read the book over and over and the story wi
Rebecca
A wordless extended picture book that will invite close reading and interpretation to figure out what's going on. I was 100% confused until I read the sentence on the back, which only provided a small bit of direction. By French artist Blexbolex; reviews say the illustrations are silkscreens (!). Dreamy and different.
Cherry (_forevermint)
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story without words worth re-reading over and over. A bit melancholy though.
Jj
Huh. I can't say I liked or disliked it, it just left me confused.

The illustrations are magnificent--as always with Blexbolex--but honestly, reading this was kind of like being in a fugue state for awhile. Who am I? What is happening? Why am I not understanding anything that is going on here?

Ah well, no matter, it was an interesting foray into another world. Right? If nothing else, I very much enjoyed the baby elephant.
Earl
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quirky wordless picture book that recalls Wonderland fantasies and Studio Ghibli films. I'm not even quite sure I understood it completely.
Shilpa
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A picture says a thousand words.
But what does a book full of pictures say?

VACATION by Blexbolex is wordless story about uninterrupted solitude, learning to be together with another, and how the choices we make deeply affect our lives. A one-of-a-kind story that’s just as complex as it is simple.

A girl loves to spend time with her Grandpa. But then, there’s an elephant in the room. Literally. The small grey elephant is a new guest who acts like a child. The girl isn’t happy. She greets the eleph
Christy Baker
Nov 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A wordless children's picture book, that while the pictures are well done and the story clear, I absolutely disliked for the behavior of the young girl in the story acting out toward the elephant in mean, unkind and self absorbed ways. What I found worse was there was very little repercussion for her behavior. I understand children get jealous and act out, but the message here does not get clearly conveyed that while feeling something is fine and we can find ways to express that, hurting other b ...more
Krista
The artwork is gorgeous, and is what interested me in this in the first place. The story starts out easy to follow, even though it is wordless. Not sure about the ribbon and the place she finds.

Later there is a bit on a train and a journey with a little boy that made no sense. Maybe a dream?

Anyway, I ended with a feeling of having nonifea what I'd just read, but the art was still gorgeous so if nothing else, I loved looking at the images.
Rhica
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enticing wordless book that kind of forces you to look into the dots. I found this book hard to "read" because of the dot-like format of the printing. Hard on my eyes. If this book had words, I would've appreciated them, because I don't completely think I got all the plot points. Definitely worth a read, or a re-read if you don't get it all the first time.
Susie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm glad it wasn't just me! What fascinated me most was the texture of the paper! I did not read the sentence on the back of the book until I was finished. I always enjoy reading books that are on Travis Jonker's Most Astonishingly Unconventional Children's Books list for the year. I found it somewhat humorous that various translations are mentioned; there's only the one sentence that applies.
Diane
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
What do you do with a baby elephant who comes to stay with you for a vacation? A little girl, used to keeping herself company, at first doesn’t want to have anything to do with the little elephant. Wait! Did they just have a water fight? Was that fun? They had a moment, then the two go off by themselves. Can you have fun when you are trying so hard not to?
Kendall Ball
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I mean... the illustrations are gorgeous, but this is a great example of professional reviewers not considering the book's audience. I can't think of many children being interested in this, or being able to grasp the author's intention. On the other hand, the wordless-ness of the story does promote using one's imagination to fill in the gaps and that's good.
Coriander
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting delightful story about a little girl on vacation with her father and they make friends with a little elephant. The book itself is a piece of art, textured pages that hold such rich, dark and light colors unfold a tale created entirely without words.
Adrianna Ibrahim
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
What a strange little wordless book. The illustrations caught my eye, and though I loved the dreamlike, whimsical quality in the visual aspects, it was far too confusing for the story since it didn't have words to anchor you back into what was happening.
Heather
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Wordless graphic novel that’s very cute in a Scandinavian way about a little girl and her elephant relative (cousin) who comes to visit. Silly and quite fantastical towards the end, ultimately has more style than substance. Recommended grades 1-3.
Lobstergirl
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Antipapa Gregorius octavus
Shelves: kid-books

The wordless story was confusing, in part because the girl's behavior was unexpected (who doesn't want a baby elephant in their life?). It seemed like the artwork was trying desperately hard, but ultimately it was charmless and looked cheap on the page (lots of visible dots).
Lian
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
A huge Blexbolex fan, Vacation left me addled and unfulfilled. Near impossible to follow the narrative thread. Small snippets of story appear but the confusion neutralises them, alas. Divine artwork saves things. Kind of.
Stephanie
Cute picture book! Leave it to your own imagination to tell the story how you see it!
Theresa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: child
Colorful pictures. Ending was just a little confusing.
Joe
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better wordless books I’ve found. Exceptional art and design.
Kevin Hodgson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful wordless book, with lush illustrations and overlapping narratives, and imagination all over the place
Emily
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Mal says "that was weird, but a fast read, because it has no words"
Angie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No words but amazing pictures
Robin
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This could be magic for the right kid at the right time, but most will just be confused.
Lexi Wright
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A joyful, imaginative sojourn—for the little girl, the elephant, the reader.
Lindsay Ross
I have no idea what this is about.
Blexbolex (born 1966) is a French comics artist and illustrator. Born Bernard Granger in Douai, he studied screen printing (sérigraphie) at the School of Fine Arts (L’école européenne supérieure de l'image) in Angoulême. His first works were self-published, and later he contributed to Popo Color, Fusée, and Ferraille. His highly stylized, ligne claire illustration, inspired by the films of Jacques ...more