Start by marking “The Wall in the Middle of the Book” as Want to Read:
The Wall in the Middle of the Book

The Wall in the Middle of the Book

A foolish knight is certain that his side of the wall is the safe side in this meta picture book.

There's a wall in the middle of the book, and our hero--a young knight--is sure that the wall protects his side of the book from the dangers of the other side--like an angry tiger and giant rhino, and worst of all, an ogre who would gobble him up in a second! But our knight doe
Published October 2nd 2018 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wall in the Middle of the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wall in the Middle of the Book

Garrett
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
It's a metaphor. About morons and their damn walls.
Denia  Books & Baubles
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good. If you ever want to read a children's book that is political but without giving too much away, then read this one. It's pretty much trashing Donald Trump's wall and I love it!
Richie Partington
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: THE WALL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK by Jon Agee, Dial, October 2018, 48p., ISBN: 978-0-525-55545-2

“You got to look outside your eyes
You got to think outside your brain
You got to walk outside your life
To where the neighborhood changes”
-- Ani DiFranco (1993)

“Mr. Gorbachev. Tear down this wall”
-- Ronald Reagan, speaking at the Berlin Wall (1987)

“I’m talking about precast going up probably thirty-five to forty feet up in the the air. That’s high. That’s a real wall.”
-- Donald Trump (
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

This book really surprised me. I have read many, many Jon Agee books over the years. The Wall in the Middle of the Book, in my opinion, stands out from the pack with power and truth for all ages.

Watch, read, or listen to the news and then read this book. It says it all in a simple, straight forward way. Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Highly recommended.

Abigail
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jon Agee Fans / Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Fear of the Unknown
A tiny knight celebrates the existence of the wall that stands in the middle of this new picture-book from author/illustrator Jon Agee, convinced that it is protecting him from the dangerous creatures on the other side. Little does he realize that the rising water on his own side, and the dangerous creature it brings, pose more of a threat. Fortunately, those on the other side of the wall are not as ungenerous as the knight...

As a long-time fan of Agee's picture-books, I was quite excited to see
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, cybils
A knight finds comfort in a wall that separates his side of the book from the other, more dangerous side. Until his side becomes not-so-good....

A funny, kid-friendly little story full of what’s-going-to-happen-nexts.
Ricki
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Sometimes, the invisible generates a fear that becomes greater than us. We focus so much on Othering that we neglect to recognize that the other side of that wall might offer something safe and good... something magnificent. Worse, we focus so intently on our fear of what might exist in the other side of the wall that we fail to see the very real danger we face. This book is extraordinarily well-written. It can be read as a fantastical story, or it can be imagined in beautifully metaphorical way ...more
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah! I thought I was kind of over the meta picture books, but this one does a really good job with the "book as object" approach. The gutter contains a brick wall, and the little knight who narrates is on the "right" side. Or is he?? Lots of humorous details will clue in alert readers and may spark a discussion about judging what we don't know.

For another book that uses the gutter to great effect, try "This book just ate my dog."
Emily Scheinman
Love it!
Mary Lee
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More #kidlit commentary on our political climate. We let assumptions blind us and divide us.
Shaye Miller
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book showcasing two stories going on at once — one on each side of the book. At first, the narrator (who looks to be a young boy in armor), is so happy to be protected on the left side of the book. On the right side are scary wild animals and a dangerous ogre. But before too long, the narrator is trapped on the left side of the book and he needs rescuing. How oh how will he survive?! I love this one — it’s always fun for young readers to discover a big secret even before the narrator ...more
Becky
First sentence: There's a wall in the middle of the book. And it's a good thing. The wall protects this side of the book...from the other side of the book. This side of the book is safe. The other side is not.

Premise/plot: A knight is convinced that his side of the wall is safe...but is it really? Could the knights have his facts wrong?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It is a quirky--but fun--read. Adults may enjoy this one just as much--if not more--than children. I loved seeing the acti
Kate
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Vicki
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Walls to divide people and things are just never a good idea. Jon Agee does a great job with simple text and simple illustrations with a strong message. I think kids will enjoy shouting out the “dangers” that are happening on the left side of the wall.
Lindsey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple and sweet. Inspired the continuing "grass is greener" conversation. Would be fun for storytime.
KC
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book with a very necessary underlining message. Excellent.
Effie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Jon Agee is spot on!
Lesley
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I have to admit it. I was at the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) conference, and my friend was standing in line to get this book and have it signed by the author-illustrator Jon Agee, and I was meeting her. As I stood there keeping her company, I thought “Why not? This is a picture book. It’s free. I have grandsons and work at a K-8 school, and Mr. Agee looks pleasant” and—yes, technically, I cut in line—I got a signed book.
What a find! The Wall in the Middle of the Book is
Sarah Davis
Clever, funny, meta without being obnoxious. I know Trump doesn’t read, but hopefully he can manage this picture book about a Wall. I think he could learn a lot from it.
Kellee
Fear can lead us to shutting ourselves out of some amazing experiences as the knight in this book learns first hand. Just because you've heard a certain thing or a person looks a certain way, you cannot make assumptions. What a great lesson, and I truly loved how it was implemented!
Edward Sullivan
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A clever, amusing work of metafiction.
Alison
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Brilliant messages are delivered in a well written and charmingly illustrated way. Love the subplot. Good for preschoolers to adult.
Barbara
Ah, yes, those assumptions we make about others and that others make about us! How they divide us and keep us from seeing the truth. This picture book can be read as it is but also can be read as an allegory or statement on the current conditions in our own country. As the text and illustrations show, there is a wall right in the middle of the book. A brave knight is sure that the wall exists to keep him and others on his side safe from whatever is on the other side. He's fearful of what lies on ...more
Dov Zeller
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, kids, picture-book
Some very meaningful commentary in this book. It's actually quite deep. And interestingly constructed with the wall standing at the crease of each page and an inch or so on either side, splitting the book so that the left page is one side of the wall and the right page the other. Definitely a contemporary cousin of The Monster at the End of This Book. (And maybe having a non-human protagonist would have been a bit better in terms of message? Because right now I'm finding it hard to process the f ...more
Jackie Ostrowicki
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
A muted, yet clear, lesson on what we think safety is and what it actually might be. A wall separates a book--one side has a small knight, the other side has an ogre. The knight thinks the ogre will eat him. As water rises behind him, the knight revels in his safety. Halfway through the book, he's caught up in the water--whereupon the ogre rescues him, reaching over the wall, and then showing him the other side of the wall.

Is the book a social lesson or just one on perception? Either way, it wo
Pauline
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Creative usage of the format with the wall existing in the gutter of the pages; beyond the visual lies an effective allegory of our country today...i.e., silly knight fears the unknown on the other side of the wall...tries to convince the reader that he's safer on that side of the wall...sound familiar?
Michelle
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
OMG! This is so cute. But also, what do you know? Walls only keep us apart and the other side of that wall isn't so scary after all. So lets take it down and make a better world together!

This is such a great message for kids especially in this political climate.
Heather
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Does a wall solve your problems? Does it keep the "bad guys" out? Does a wall keep you safe? All these questions are answered in this timely picture book. Thumbs up, and please pass it around to all the people who think a wall is the best way to solve a problem.
Hannah Farmer
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This would be a great storytime book for a number of themes: knights, ogres, walls, building, and—of course—tolerance.
Wendy Garland
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perspective! Fans of Sam & Dave Dig a Hole will love the story that happens in the text while another unfolds in the illustrations.
  • Baabwaa and Wooliam: A Tale of Literacy, Dental Hygiene, and Friendship
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Dreamers
  • Potato Pants!
  • The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet!
  • Lyric McKerrigan, Secret Librarian
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Hotel Bruce
  • People Don't Bite People
  • My Friends Make Me Happy! (The Giggle Gang, #3)
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • A Perfect Day
  • I Have A Balloon
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Claymates