Start by marking “Modern HERstory: Stories of Women and Nonbinary People Rewriting History” as Want to Read:
Modern HERstory: Stories of Women and Nonbinary People Rewriting History

Modern HERstory: Stories of Women and Nonbinary People Rewriting History

An inspiring and radical celebration of 70 women, girls, and gender nonbinary people who have changed--and are still changing--the world, from the Civil Rights Movement and Stonewall riots through Black Lives Matter and beyond.

With a radical and inclusive approach to history, Modern HERstory profiles and celebrates seventy women and nonbinary champions of progressive socia
Published October 16th 2018 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Modern HERstory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern HERstory

Allison
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
This was such a treat to read! Over 60 badass women & nonbinary people (predominately of color) who have made an impact on the world - past and present - are profiled with beautiful illustrations and so much intentional intersectionality. This would be an inspiring gift for a young person especially, though as a someone in my mid-twenties, I learned a lot about important women missing from my history classes, as well as about ways that my generation (and younger!) are making a difference in ...more
KC
Just another great book profiling women who made a difference historically!
Miss Susan
May 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
things that make me happy: the fact that blair imani is out here living her best life and contributing excellence to the world on the daily <3 can't wait to read this!
Malak
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
The people mentioned in the book are an inspiration. i'm so happy more books are being written about the people that history book usually leave out.

description
Melissa Lynn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must-read!
Daria Marshall

This was such a fun read and I really appreciated that the focus was on WOC, LGBTQ, and non-binary people, especially given that most of the "women who history never writes about" books focus on white, straight ladies. The illustrations were fantastic as well.
emma
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I didn’t read all of it, I truly enjoyed what I did. Compiled female centered biographies are very popular right now, but Modern Herstory makes a point to include nonbinary folks and predominantly woc. I really loved the diversity, colorful art, and way the bios were divided up, including chapters like Laying the Groundwork and Mastering Modern Media. It also includes organizations, hashtags, and more helpful glossaries. I dig this.
ItsNasB
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good intro to SJW topics that highlights women, girls and non-binary people who played and/or continue to play a role in positively and progressively changing the narrative and revolutionizing how we view and navigate the world. An inclusive message was present in all the biographies, that I appreciated.
Julia
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
y'all are gonna be shook by this review but whatevs

i wish i could have given this book a higher rating because the illustrations were gorgeous and the people in the book were interesting BUT i had some issues with it. idk i didn't feel that the content of the book actualy matched the title and book description. my impression of this book was women and nonbinary folks that were "rewriting history" all across the globe. what i got was only activists from mainly the u.s.a with maybe 5-10% outside
Niamh
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Another iteration of lists of amazing women that takes you right up to the present day, but this time focusing on women of colour, LGBTQIA+ women and non-binary people who have contributed to the changing history of equality and activism in all areas of the world. These are very short introductions, which is often the downfall of these kinds of books, and I kind of want to know more rather than cram more people into each section. It's interesting and a necessary book.
Cindy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Filled with biographies of LGBTQ and non binary women who are making a difference in the world. Some are historic figures from the past, but most are modern day heroes, fighting for the rights of women, the disabled, the LGBTQI community, and most marginalized populations.

So far, none of these ladies have made the tea list, but I'm going to look further into this book for future names later this summer.
Jessica
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic resource that is PERFECT for schools! Definitely wish I had this book growing up.
Jen
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful!
Kathleen H.
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was such a pleasure to read. Being an engineer, the only way to learn about modern sociology is through reading via books or the internet. I learned so much with this book. There were a few people I was like 'huh?' Mostly I believe I say that because I see some of these 'youngsters' and haven't heard of them. But now I do! (I'm such a Grandma. Not really. But you get the picture.) But overall, this was amazing. First, I did not know about the term 'intersectionality.' Yes, I feel silly sayi ...more
Kend
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is very definitely a coffee table book, in that in its physical form it's odd-sized and beautifully illustrated by Monique Le. As such, some people will buy into the format, and others will not. The book is packed with great and intersectional representation, framed in careful and thoughtful language, although I would note that the first time a nonbinary person is profiled is on p. 88 (Amandla Stenberg), five sections into an eight-section book. Nonbinary representation does become more com ...more
Erin Gunderson
I love how inclusive this book is! Black women, indigenous women, other various women of color, disabled women, LGBTQ women, nonbinary people... so cool! Plus, it's GORGEOUS and well crafted. I just love Monique Le's illustrations.

The book covers activists and change makers from the 1960s beginning with Sylvia Rivera & Marsha P. Johnson (Stonewall Riots) and queer civil rights author Lorraine Hansberry (A Raisin in the Sun) through modern mainstream media figures like Oprah, Ellen, and Solan
Danni Green
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genderawesome
I liked this a lot! It did a lot of things really well: highlighting stories that are well-known alongside stories that are less well-known, focusing primarily on women of color, including subjects of different ages and across different time periods, and offering strong representation of trans women. The title confused me as to whether to expect nonbinary representation or not, and I was disappointed (though not particularly surprised) that there wasn't very much of this. It's a great book and s ...more
Bethany M. Edwards
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
MODERN HERSTORY  is a compilation of 60 incredible girls, women & nonbinary people (predominately of color) who should be highlighted in our history books, however whom most will unfortunately be passed over. These girls and womxn who have made an impact on the world, both past and present, are each profiled with a beautiful comic-style illustration that gives each a superhero vibe.
This is a jam packed book, so it will be best enjoyed as a coffee table book for adults to peruse one story at
Julia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad but nothing super special. It differentiates its self from other short-women-bio books by being mostly about modern women (hence the title) and mostly includes WOC. I also liked that these bios were more than a blurb; I felt like I learned something. In the back there is a glossary defining some terms which makes this more accessible than other works (it was a little pedantic, but eh).
The art is ok. The artist captured a good likeness of the women (that even my face-blind ass could recog
Emily
Modern HERstory is a collection of 68 mini-bios of recent, current, and up-and-coming activists and trailblazers. Out of the 68 (70 if you include the author and illustrator) women and nonbinary people included, only 6 are white people-- the rest are WOC including Native American, Black, Asian, Latinx, Middle Eastern, and multiracial. There's so much intersectional representation, too, including queer, disabled, religious, and non-American/Western. All of the bios present an inclusive, justice-o ...more
Faith A.
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
4/10
This is akin to reading a stack of well worded resumes from interesting people.
I'm so sad to give this a bad review but I would never consider this a book of 'Stories' as the name states.

This book gave me a lot of people to research and see if I can find out about but it did not give me a window into anyone's life. I don't consider myself closer to the women/people who's resume I read. I didn't walk away feeling empowered. I finished the book going 'I'd hire her/them' or 'I wish I knew her/
Nikki (bythebooks)
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Right off the bat, the design of this book is lovely. The colors and illustrations are beautiful and engaging. The pretty factor brought me in but I really enjoyed reading these stories and doing extra research about each person. It’s nice to read something more than a tweet - especially about people who are generally erased by mainstream media. The new wave of non-fiction books celebrating the diversity of women and non-binary people is amazing and I’m excited for the young people growing up wi ...more
Serena Nicole
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: listen
This book was just ok. Many of the women and the facts in this book were not new to me. I think someone young or new to great females would genuinely benefit from this book. What truly lacked in this book was personal accounts or interviews of the women, everything in this book can be found on the internet. However, I would buy a physical copy to use as a reference guide and a list of extraordinary women.
Reena Dixit
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I love how the author gives the spotlight not only to women but also those who are nonbinary. We need books and people to give a chance to these folk so that their work is told to everyone. I was aware of who some of these people were but not all of them and that needs to change. It was a learning experience and I would love to see what they do in the future. Everyone should read this 10/10
Parker
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up from the library on a whim. As a Museum Educator specilising in the history of everday, ordinary people (i.e., not rich white men), I'm always searching for those kinds of stories. This is a treasure trove.

My only nitpick is that it was too short. And that Emma Gonzales was left out.

I particularly found the glossary to be helpful, and I love that various organisations were highlighted.

Blair Imani, I'm eagerly awaiting your next book!!
Marie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
"Making a difference can be as simple as fighting for what you believe in, apologetically living in your truth, or taking steps to improve the lives of others."

"Everyone of us has the potential to make an indelible mark on our world."

"Herstory deliberately prioritizes the stories of women and people of color."
Miriam
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, biography
an interesting series of biographical sketches of women and non-binary people who have played a role in progressive social issues. Many of the women are African-American, others are immigrants, marginalized people, and teens. You'll learn lots of new terminology for identifying oneself.

For a review of this wonderfully narrated performance, see AudioFile Magazine http://www.audiofilemagazine.com
Len
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous! There are so many women and nonbinary people that I've never heard anything about and it's shocking because they are working everyday to better the world for us. This book focuses on women and nonbinary people of colour, lgbtq people and disabled people, which is in itself revolutionary. I'm very grateful for everything this book has taught me.
Katelyn Alderidge
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall I think that this is a great intro for the new, modern feminist. It's a starting point, a place to go to find those who are actively working in what you are focused on. I know this is to reach a larger audience, but I'd love a version that focused on a few specific women and fully gave a micro-history of their lives so far.
Derek Lynch
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blair Imani puts a really important spotlight on women of color and non-binary folks throughout history. I’m so glad I read this book! While I recognized a lot of the individuals in the book, there were some that really inspired me & made me want to get more involved in different movements and organizations.
« previous 1 3 next »

• And the Spirit Moved Them: The Lost Radical History of America's First Feminists
  • She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History
  • My Body Politic: A Memoir
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams
  • Women: Body-Positive Art to Inspire and Empower
  • Medical Bondage: Race, Gender, and the Origins of American Gynecology
  • No Truth Without Ruth: The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • The Trouble Between Us: An Uneasy History of White and Black Women in the Feminist Movement
  • Remember the Ladies: Celebrating Those Who Fought for Freedom at the Ballot Box
  • I Am a Bacha Posh: My Life as a Woman Living as a Man in Afghanistan
  • The Big Feminist BUT: Comics about Women, Men, and the IFs, ANDs & BUTs of Feminism
  • Building Houses Out of Chicken Legs: Black Women, Food, and Power
  • Trap Door: Trans Cultural Production and the Politics of Visibility
  • The Norton Book of Women's Lives
  • Queer Indigenous Studies: Critical Interventions in Theory, Politics, and Literature
  • Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution