Start by marking “The Liar's Room” as Want to Read:
The Liar's Room

The Liar's Room

ONE ROOM. TWO LIARS. NO WAY OUT...

Susanna Fenton has a secret. Fourteen years ago she left her identity behind, reinventing herself as a counsellor and starting a new life. It was the only way to keep her daughter safe.

But everything changes when Adam Geraghty walks into her office. She's never met this young man before - so why does she feel like she knows him?

Then Adam

Published July 27th 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Liar's Room, please sign up.
Cavak If I were to guess: to make a reasonable profit. It's easy to complain about the increasing prices as a consumer, but self-publishing on Amazon isn't …moreIf I were to guess: to make a reasonable profit. It's easy to complain about the increasing prices as a consumer, but self-publishing on Amazon isn't always that easy or foolproof. Writers set their own prices, but that doesn't mean they keep that same amount.

Here's a brief glimpse into that:

And that's not even considering the different currencies, since Lelic is not American. He is likely getting his payments in Euro, which means he could be getting less of a cut within his own country. Not to mention Amazon often does sales or gives ebooks out for free often enough to not guarantee generating a large profit from them.

Charging more than the printed version would have been a scummier move. But the same price? Makes sense.(less)

Start your review of The Liar's Room
Susanne  Strong
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

One Heck of a Nail-Biter!

Susanna is an overprotective mother to 14 year old Emily. More than anything Emily just wants a little freedom. Yet, all they have is each other. Susanna however, has her reasons for keeping tabs on her daughter - Emily just doesn’t know what they are.

When Emily meets Adam - an older guy who pays attention to her, she is immediately interested. Who can blame her? Little does she know, Adam’s interest is not in her. It’s in her mother.

When Susanna’s patient arri
Berit☀️✨
This was a highly addictive intense read that made my heart race and my mind spin!

Wow! This was one thrilling verbal ping-pong match! An intense game full of thrills, chills, secrets, and lies! I felt as though I was on high alert this entire book, there is a definite sense of impending doom throughout this entire story... two liars, one room, and one fantastically disturbing tale!

Susanna is a counselor, and the book starts out with Adam a new patient entering her office for the first time... t
Kaceey
4.5*
Wow! Suspense on steroids!

Susanna has managed to rebuild her life. She’s a counselor now, raising her 14 year old daughter Emily, on her own. She has finally left her past...far, far behind. At least that’s sure what she believed.

That’s precisely the moment a new client showed up at her office. Adam.
He demands the truth from Susanna or promises to hurt the one person Susanna loves the most...Emily. So who is this maniacal new client? And why is he bent on destroying Susanna?

This is the secon
Norma
Gripping, suspenseful & an extremely relishing read!

THE LIAR’S ROOM by SIMON LELIC is an engaging, intense, mysterious and haunting psychological thriller novel that was quite the immersive and thrilling book to read. Right from the very beginning this book had me stumped and wondering who’s the liar here and what secrets are going to be uncovered, making this quite the compulsive page-turner.

SIMON LELIC delivers an excellent, thought-provoking, entertaining and well-written read here with an i
Kylie D
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"No matter how hard you try to escape it, the past has a way of catching up".

A compelling thriller that sees Susanna, a therapist, take on a new teenage client. It soon becomes apparent, however, that Adam knows her, knows all her dark secrets, things she's been running from for years. But how? He is a complete stranger to her. Yet he has a photo of her daughter...And a knife...

As Susanna tries to figure out what it is that Adam wants from her, he becomes increasingly erratic and angry. Clearly
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 dark and chilling stars to The Liar’s Room! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Several years ago, Susanna was in danger, and she had to leave her old life behind to keep her daughter, Emily, safe. She becomes a therapist and starts over.

A new client, Adam, comes to his first session with Susanna and begins asking questions that instantly make her uneasy. He says he is a danger to others, and he needs her help. Then, he begins to act aggressive and irrational, and I could feel Susanna’s heartrate rise. She is trappe
—ReadAlongWithSue—
I loved, loved, LOVED IT.
I was as trapped in the story as Susanna was in her Consultantancy room with Adam. I didn’t even want to get out unlike her!

I read The House by this author and loved it.

I’ve now read this and am going to follow him on social media so I won’t miss out each time he produces a book.

Talk about “edge of your seat”. I was on the edge I almost fell off.

This is a verbal cat and mouse that will have you turning your head to Susanna, to Adam, back to Susanna, just like watching a
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

A counselor's new client seems to know everything about her, but who is he?

Susanna must be thinking at this point that this appointment is turning into an utter nightmare and fast. Adam is a new patient and he has lied and turned the tables on her fast. Can Susanna depend on her training to get her out of this?

A perfect, edge-of-your seat beginning with a intriguing story line that promises some bits and pieces from their past.  Adam knows things about her that he shouldn't, but ho
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As dark and twisted as it is suspenseful, The Liar’s Room by Simon Lelic is filled with long buried secrets and worst case scenarios.

I wondered how it would feel to be in this position! Though nearly the entire book takes place in either flashbacks or a single room, the plot moved lightening fast as Susanna’s entire life and past unraveled before our eyes. With two incredible books by him that were top reads for me, Simon Lelic is officially a favorite author for me. I’m looking forward to more
Nazanin
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

That’s the way it is for everyone. Where we come from, our secret pasts—we can’t escape them. They define us. Control us. Trap us even, sometimes.

Susanna is a counselor and Adam is her new client. It’s his first session with her. He’s a bit strange. He said he needs help but he frightened her from the beginning.

There’s something I want to do.
Something… bad.

He gave her a picture and she saw her daughter looking back at her in the photograph…

Who is Adam, really? What does he want? What ar
Diana | Book of Secrets
THE LIAR'S ROOM is a dark and unsettling thriller about a woman's secret past that returns to haunt her.

Susanna is a therapist and mother to 14-year old Emily. Years ago she ran away from her old life after a devastating incident, hoping no one would find out. For 14 years her old identity stayed hidden, until a session with a new client named Adam threatens to destroy everything.

This was a fast-paced, enjoyable (yet disturbing) book that put me on edge. Who is Adam really? What is Susanna is hi
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
One room, Two Liars, No escape till someone starts telling the truth. Are you intrigued yet?

What happens when you put two liars in a room together especially when they might be lying to themselves. Well, that made for an intense fast-past story here with our liars. I love the dialogue here that seemed like they were sparring with each other. I thought this lead to some very interesting dynamics between the characters. I was entertained yet pleasingly disturbed as the lies and secrets are reveale
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading The Liar’s Room on 11/4/2018 and finished it on 11/21/2018. This book is an interesting read. I like the different ways the story is told. I enjoy reading Emily’s diary. From Susanna’s perspective, I like the reminders about the consequences to teens when they grow up without the attention and care of their parents. I also like the reminder of how vulnerable those teens can be to friends’ influences. I don’t think Adam’s approach to punishing irresponsible parents is great, thr ...more
Gary
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book I have read by author Simon Lelic having already enjoyed the very good 'The House'.
This is a page turning thriller that is predominantly set in one room, the consulting room. Consultant Susanna and Adam are trapped together in the room trying to outsmart each other. Susanna is worried because her teenage daughter Emily is not where she said she would be and isn't answering her mobile. Susanna has always gone to extreme lengths to protect Emily including fourteen years ago, d
Liz Barnsley
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really REALLY enjoyed “The House” by Simon Lelic last year so was a right eager beaver when I got hold of a copy of “The Liars Room” and if I really enjoyed “The House” it has to be said that I LOVED this.

The Liars Room is a considered, intelligent and claustrophobic thriller set for the most part in a single room where two people face off in a psychological battle of wills heading inexorably towards their own hidden truths…

When Susanna welcomes new client Adam into her office it isn’t long be
Kendall
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Liar's Room is an intense game of cat and mouse!

Susanna is raising her 14 year old daughter Emily on her own. She is a counselor and has left her past behind her.... or she wants to believe.

Susanna has a new client Adam that shows up for therapy. Adam starts disclosing things to Susanna that are about her own life. How does he know all this and how does he know about her daughter Emily? Talk about creeeeepyyyy!!

Adam starts become a bit manic and demands the truth from Susanna and threatens
Darinda
Susanna's new patient, Adam, starts to ask her questions during his therapy session. Questions that indicate he knows the secrets in her past and what she has been running from for years. As the questions continue, Susanna's world starts to unravel.

This story unfolds during the course of a day. When Adam arrives to Susanna's office, she begins the session as she normally would with a new patient, but things soon change. It is clear Adam has another reason for being in Susanna's office, and his t
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Susanna Fenton has secrets that she keeps hidden from her co-workers and her fourteen-year-old daughter. After a tragic event, she re-started her life in a new town and tried to move forward. She currently works as a therapist seeing private clients while raising her teen daughter.

She meets a new teenage patient named Adam who comes to her seeking help. It becomes apparent that the appointment is a ruse and he is there to uncover Susanna’s past. She struggles to keep her composure as he bombard
Katie B

I like Simon Lelic's creativity in how he chooses to tell his stories. They're a bit different, tension-filled, and definitely page-turners. I might have had a few problems with the story but overall it was a good read.

Susanna Fenton wanted to move on from her past and keep her daughter safe so she got a new identity and found work as a therapist. She has an appointment with a new patient, a young man named Adam Geraghty, but this isn't going to be your typical therapy session. While it
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

The Liar's Room by Simon Lelic takes place in really just the course of a few hours, but this book still managed to blow me away!

What it's about: Susanna Fenton is a counselor, but that's not what she always was, and she is running from a past she wishes she could forget. Enter Adam, who makes an appointment with her to help himself, but really only wants to talk about Susanna's past. What exactly does Adam want from her? I guess we are about to find out....

The Liar's Room ended up
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
We start this amazing book with someone held captive, she can remember a man hurting her but she does not know where she is.

Susannah a counsellor has a new client, he is called Adam and is a teenager. Susannah thinks he looks vaguely familiar. Adam talks about wanting to hurt a girl and shows Susannah a photo of the girl, but the photo is of Emily her 14 year old daughter. How does he know her and why would he want to hurt her?

This book is brilliant. What happens next is a cat and mouse game bet
Ken
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Lelic has somehow managed to top last years brilliant ‘The House’ with an even better psychological thriller, I couldn’t put this powerfully tense thriller down.

The main story takes place over the course of five hours with just two people mainly in one room.
Susanna has started a new life for herself as a counsellor, she glad to leave the past behind until the day that Adam walks into her office.
Adam knows her secret.

I loved how enclosed and tense this story was, aside from a few flashbacks
Lou
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Liar's Room" is the follow-up to Simon Lelic's fantastic debut entitled "The House". Again, Lelic has taken a unique concept and setting and created a truly chilling read. How fortunate as that happens to be my favourite type of thriller - disturbing and claustrophobic in nature. Kudos, Mr Lelic!

This book is literally chock-full of lies, manipulation and misdirection which added to the tension and kept the suspense building steadily throughout the story. Well written, accessible and easy to
Faith
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, publisher
Susanna Fenton has a new client, but in her first therapy session with Adam Geraghty it appears that he may have hidden reasons for seeking out her help. They find themselves alone in a room digging through layers of shared secrets. This book was just ok psychological suspense, and it certainly wasn’t “spine-tingling”. Maybe it would have had more impact as a straightforward family drama, without the melodramatic, contrived therapy session. Facts are dribbled out very slowly, in a convoluted man ...more
Gabby
Well this was quite an intense book! It follows this woman named Susanna who is a psychologist and she’s taking on a new patient named Adam and the entire story mostly takes place in one day.

There were two good plot twists that I didn’t see coming, some of the ending got to be a bit predictable though but overall I thought this was a very well-written thriller. This is my first time reading this author but I’ve seen his books around and I’m definitely interested in reading more from him
Julie (JuJu)
Short Summary:
3 ⭐️’s for this thriller that wasn’t as thrilling as I’d hoped.

My thoughts:
I read this book as my first Buddy Read...which I really enjoyed (the BR)! The book—not so much. I didn’t consider it real thrilling. It was well-written and kept my attention, but wasn’t as good as I expected.

I didn’t identify with most of the characters, which makes for a slower read. Some of their actions were appalling—and some were just confusing. A lot of the book wasn’t very realistic or believable,
Rottgrl88
*** TRIGGER WARNING: Animal Abuse/Animal Cruelty and Rape ***

Let me first say that I was anticipating this to be a great thriller. The reviews hyped it up, the synopsis was very intriguing and that cover is eye-catching (Yes, I am that person that judges a book by its cover and that's okay). I was also very excited because this book was my very first buddy read. The buddy read experience was great and I am so excited to mark it off of my bucket list. (Haha!)

However, the reading experience wasn'
Nicki
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONE ROOM.

TWO LIARS.

NO WAY OUT

Misconceptions - This is a twisty,gripping story about misconceptions,secrets,lies,redemption and forgiveness.There is a hell of a lot more to this book than the synopsis leads you to believe.Yes,the main story is Susanna and Adam`s intense battle of wits as they try to outsmart each other during the hours that they are trapped together in Susanna`s tiny,claustrophobic consulting room.Who is Adam? why does Susanna feel like she knows him even though she has never set
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
A story that crosses the span of only a few hours. Susanna, a counselor, has no idea that new patient Adam has quite the issues to bring up with her. Very quickly this escalates into a what the actual hell is going on here type of read.

Flashing back and forth to Susanna's past, Adam and Susanna's lives intertwine together in a way that surprises us all. There's a tension that is built from the first page throughout the read that is palpitating. It's truly hard to discuss much of anything withou
Dita
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Susanna is a therapist and she has an appointment with a new client, Adam, on a Friday afternoon. Almost immediately Adam confesses that he's there because he would very much like to hurt a particular teenage girl. Susanna soon realizes the girl is her daughter but she cannot fathom why this stranger would want to hurt her child.

As the story unfolds, we learn that neither Susanna nor Adam are who they seem to be; both harbor dangerous secrets and the twists and turns unfold deliciously as we lea

• Do Not Disturb
  • One Fatal Mistake
  • The Dead Ex
  • The Temp
  • The Good Sister
  • The Roommates
  • Open Your Eyes
  • The Chosen Ones (DC Ian Bradshaw #4)
  • Those People
  • Rewind
  • Stop At Nothing
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • One More Lie
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • The Rumour
  • I Never Lie
  • I Know Who You Are
Simon Lelic was born in 1976 and has worked as a journalist in the UK and currently runs his own business in Brighton, England, where he lives with his wife and two sons.