Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

(Doctor Who: Target Collection)

Discover the new Doctor Who classics.

When the entire universe is at stake, three different Doctors will unite to save it.

The Tenth Doctor is hunting shape-shifting Zygons in Elizabethan England. The Eleventh is investigating a rift in space-time in the present day. And one other the man they used to be but never speak of is fighting the Daleks in the darkest days of the
Published April 5th 2018 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
Jonathan
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chapter nine was instantly forgettable.
Cory Eadson
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A magical, alternate take on the 50th anniversary special. Rather than translating what happened on-screen, Moffat shows us the things we didn't see on television, and tweaks the things we did see to make the piece more suitable for prose. As a result, the Day of the Doctor novel stands apart from the TV version, becoming a totally separate and wonderful entity of its own.
Rachael
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so much more than the Day of the Doctor episode that was shown on TV. It's a chance for Steven Moffat to expand his ideas with plenty of throwbacks to all Doctor Who eras.
This was an enjoyable yet wibbly wobbly timey wimey romp that was so witty at times. It worked well that the story was non-linear as it really reflected the nature of the Doctor.
There were inconsistent switches between first person and third person which I'm not sure were deliberate and that made it a tiny bit
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most extraordinarily brilliant Doctor Who novel Ive ever read. An absolute masterpiece. ...more
Ashley Stangl
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I love Steven Moffat's writing, and "The Day of the Doctor" is objectively a masterpiece of story construction. So a Moffat-written novelization was an automatic purchase for me, but it exceeded even my high expectations.

This book is brilliant. It's wild and mad and clever and funny and terrifying and maybe trying a bit too hard to dazzle, yet you can't help loving it anyway as it sweeps you along and doesn't let you go. If the Doctor wrote a book, this is exactly what it would look like. There
Derek
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, nostagia-fuel
Quite a contrast to the workmanlike Terrance Dicks novelizations from back in the day. It continues and culminates the excesses that marked Moffat's tenure in the program. The Doctor is tortured and haunted, the Doctor is some sort of magical Chosen One, and everything has deep backstory and connections to everything else. The overall effect is overwhelming and just this side of twee, sometimes spilling over to the other side.

The most curious thing--in this book of many curious things--is the
Chris Wing
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
Anyone reading this review will already know what this book, and the range of books it is part of, is all about.
Of the four New Series novelisations, I was the most excited to read this one first and, flicking through the books when I got them, it did look like something... unconventional was going on in the pages.

And it was!

Stephen Moffat has taken an episode that is, arguably, one of the most (if not *the* most) famous Doctor Who episodes ever, and rather than give it a straight conversion
Laura P.
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Liked it but some scenes were out of place and nonsense (like the bathtub one...WTF!)
Some stuff didn't really work out and/or made sense with what has been shown in the TV show and its timeline (I can't picture the Tenth doctor having fun at a picnic with River between the Journey's end and the End of time. It was really puzzling. All in all, I think Moffat didn't get Tenth doctor quite right but alas--). Plus I don't like to be force-fed Clara's greatness in whatever format being it a book or
Katherine Sas
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, doctor-who
Oh, go on then, give this one 5 stars. A few rookie mistakes mostly some repetitive sections, although under the circumstances that might be entirely intentional but jeez, its the guys first novel. I hope its the first of many more, both Who and not. Im tempted to blog about the wonderful book, though I cant decide to focus on comparisons to The Princess Bride or NK Jemisens Broken Earth trilogy. No really. ...more
Stephen Robert Collins
Finally after lot looking I found the right Amazon Kindle a deluxe £186 one with large print audio so listen to Who plays too White paper waterproof Cat proof. So I had . To start it right I chose this book.
The new Three other Doctors, Queen Elizabeth I Zygons.
The book starts at chapter 8 which funny way to go is it not?
Alex Sarll
Moffat revisits one of the gems of his uneven era, the 50th anniversary special, and freed of the constraints of making it vaguely appealing to the general public, turns it into something even better. Well, I say that, because I'm a dick, but maybe think of this more like the 12" 80s compilation: it's great that you have these perfect pop singles, for entryist purposes and as an art form in their own right but every so often the weirder extended mix really takes them to the next level. The ...more
Tony
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
This is a superb novelisation. It manages to tell the story of the television episode with style, wit and a no lack of skill. Steven Moffat does a stonkingly good job of telling the story from multiple points of view making you understand the timey-wimey stuff. For example when we get the account of the Doctor's trip to the Tower from the point of view of all three versions of the Doctor. We get an idea of what it is like to be a time traveller.

He also does a fine job of telling Osgood's (or
Lori S.
This was a great joy to read. Though the set up is very different from the show upon which it is based, the story really does reflect the way several time lines converge and separate to cover the whole of the story. What's more Moffat has proven himself to be capable of a great deal of humor, creative ideas (where have those been the in the past few years?), and to be the Whovian I've missed since he became show runner (that this book was influenced by the books and audios of the so called ...more
Rachel Redhead
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, lots of little flourishes here and there to cater for the prose format, Chapter 9 was my favourite, and I liked the subtle little coda at the end a lot too :)
Y.I. Washington
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10 Stars!

I became a fan of Doctor Who as a child when Four and Sarah Jane Smith materialized on my television set on PBS. I've never stopped.

The 50th Anniversary tv movie was spectacular in my mind. I own the Blu-Ray and watch it repeatedly. Having this novelization only added to the top-notch storytelling and increased my enjoyment and love of the franchise immensely. I will re-read this novel with great pleasure over the years to come.
Nicholas Whyte
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Of course, I really enjoyed the 2013 50th anniversary special, which in retrospect we now see as a last salute to the Tennant era from almost the end of the Smith era. And I am glad to report that this is by far the best of the four new Doctor Who novels published last month. Moffat has veered further from the script than any of the other writers; the chapters are told by alternating narrators, in non-sequential numbers, interspersed with reports from
Ellen Schoener
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer- I really love Stephen Moffats work. And I just waited for him to write a book. And what can I say?
Amazing.
What a great read. This book is funny, witty and timey-wimey and shows all the best qualities of Moffat as a writer.
If you expect a simple re-telling of the TV episode, this is NOT it.
The text and scenes are different in parts and the point of view is unique in that the book is supposedly written by the Doctor- SPOILER !- in real time. There are many narrative and perspective
James
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard not to get swept up in the pure joy of this. Fleshed out from the TV version, with plenty of humour that nearly always hits the mark (though occasionally overshoots), and a real sense of the glorious majesty that Moffat always tried to imbue his Doctor with, that somehow works better on the page than he ever pulled off onscreen.
The relationship between the Doctor(s) is masterfully executed, and there are a lot of lovely touches. The final resolution of the Zygon crisis is very satisfying,
Blaine Tiu
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is worth it for Chapter 9 alone.

Other than that, if you love Steven Moffat's style (like I do), this is the book for you. This is what I hoped Doctor Who books were always like: fast, brilliant, witty, introspective, confusing, and tear-jerking.

It also affords itself as being concrete evidence that Mr. Moffat can write a novel and I hope he writes another, whatever the subject maybe.
Tim Trewartha
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent little novelization of the 50th anniversary special. Moffat has out-Moffatted himself in terms of timey-whimeyness, with chapters being out of order (but not really). Chapter 9 was a real highlight. What, you don't remember it? Wasn't that the bit where, um, er, all that, um...my point is this is well worth a read.
Irredeemable Shag
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a surprisingly entertaining read! Im predisposed to liking it as I love the episode, but Moffat put extras in the book and the narration/descriptions are a thing of brilliance! Highly recommended! ...more
Hannah Vestal
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Day of the Doctor is the novelization of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode by the same name. If you havent watched the episode, I would strongly suggest doing so before reading this book. This is a Doctor Who anniversary special, and what anniversary special would be complete without multiple versions of the Doctor running about?

That being said, the writing is specifically written ambiguous about which version of the Doctor is being discussed. After all, they are all the same person.
Allegra Rosenberg
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
85% delightful, crazy, brilliant romp that turns one of my favorite DW episodes inside-out, reinvents it, and gives it engaging and quick-witted new scenes and contexts.
15% idiotic Moffatisms that make me roll my eyes and wish some of the memory-erasing plot devices from the story really existed.
Simon Harper
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written - (fittingly) told by shifting between multiple perspectives and cleverly plays with the story to fit prose form. A superb companion piece to probably my favourite episode of the TV show.
Crisan Paul
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The structure of the story and the narrating style won for me these 5 stars. It's exactly as an actual time traveler would write. Chapter 9 introduced some new and very important information!
Esmė
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I went back and forth on whether I liked the way this was written and to be honest I'm still not sure but hey great episode.
Ashley
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I wasn't expecting it to vary much from the tv special but it was a pleasant surprise.
Runalong
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
A lot of fun but very very much Moffat making every character sound like Moffat
Peter
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Clever but annoying and with too many pointless extra scenes.

Mmmmmmm.
Brayden Raymond
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
The episode is simply not enough. This Target novel is what all Target novels aspire to be. All the best and then some more Moffat delivers the same story in an absolutely incredible and hilarious way. Why isn't there a 10 star option?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Doctor Who: The Many Lives of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • Doctor Who: Engines of War
  • Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
Steven Moffat is a Scottish television writer and producer.

Moffat's first television work was the teen drama series Press Gang. His first sitcom, Joking Apart, was inspired by the breakdown of his first marriage; conversely, his later sitcom Coupling was based upon the development of his relationship with television producer Sue Vertue. In between the two relationship-centred shows, he wrote

Doctor Who: Target Collection (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Doctor Who: City of Death
  • Doctor Who: Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion
  • Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time
  • Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (Target Collection)
  • Doctor Who: The Novel of the Film
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • Doctor Who: The Witchfinders (Target Collection)
  • Doctor Who: Dalek (Target Collection)