Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion

Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion

(Doctor Who: Target Collection)

Discover the new Doctor Who classics.

Earth is under attack by power-hungry aliens. This is no time for the Doctor to be out of action.

When a British space probe is intercepted by a sinister alien vessel on the eve of Christmas, it marks the beginning of an audacious invasion of the Earth by the Sycorax horrifying marauders from beyond the stars. Within hours, a third of
Published April 5th 2018 by BBC Books (first published April 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion
Nicholas Whyte
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

As with Russell T. Davies' novelisation of Rose, Rose Tyler is the central character here - partly because, as you may remember, the new Tenth Doctor spends about half of the story asleep in post-regenerative repose. We long-term fans can get rather blasé about regeneration, but Colgan really brings us inside the head of Rose who has just seen her best friend's body explode and burn, to be replaced by a total stranger who knows far too much about her -
Adam Stone
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A delightfully cheap, easy read. I could never get into the Target books by Terrance Dicks that served as screenplays with occasional attribution, but a few months ago, we ordered some of the new Target books for subscriber at the store I work at. That person never picked them up.

Jenny Colgan's prose is breezy and well-constructed, and perfectly brings to mind The Christmas Invasion episode while adding just enough to the narrative to make it feel like a book and not an adapted screenplay
Katherine Sas
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, doctor-who
A far more literal adaptation than Rose or Day of the Doctor (but then I suspect it's easier to rip into your own work than someone else's). However, I suspect that if you put this side by side with the episode and compared them beat for beat, you'd find more subtle little changes, additions, and bits of commentary than might first appear.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing novelisation - the passion is clear from page one all the way through to the brilliant afterword. Desperate to re-watch the episode now!
Hobart
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Back in High School, I remember attending an author event -- some SF author that I'd never heard of (you probably haven't either), but what did I care? He was an actual SF/Fantasy/Horror writer visiting Idaho (it happens a little more now, but back then I hadn't thought it was possible). He discussed getting to write a novelization of a major Horror film thinking, "How hard can it be? Take the script, throw in some
Michael Cook
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
(3.5/5)

Jenny T. Colgan had the hardest job of any of the four authors who novelized an episode for this first wave of new Target books: she had to take an episode that I really didn't care for and make it a good novel. I just really didn't care for the televised version of The Christmas Invasion. The Doctor's asleep for nearly 3/4 of the story and I never much cared for Rose and Mickey, so it's near the bottom of my list of favorite Christmas specials. I say this to explain why I didn't adore
Agnesxnitt
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A pleasing ramble of the first episode of the second series of the revamped and relaunched Dr Who, when the delicious David Tennant took over the TARDIS from the strangly pleasing Christopher Ecclestone.
Rose and the Dr have travelled the universe together, but in their last trip, the Dr told her that Time Lords have a little trick to cheat death - and then was engulfed in a blazing golden light. When that light faded, the clothes remain, but the man inside them has changed. Rose is horrified -
Tony
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
I've been impressed with all these 'New Who' Target novelisations (and I'm about to start Steven Moffat's 'The Day of the Doctor') so far. I notice though that those not written by their TV writer's - this one and Paul Cornell's 'Twice Upon A Time' - feel more Terrance Dicks novelising other people's scripts than they feel like the later Sylvester McCoy era ones, which were often used by their TV writer's to add additional depth to the story - see Ben Aaronovitch's 'Remembrance of The Daleks' or ...more
Michaela Aisling
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved this! Obviously I've seen this episode before, a thousand times over, and I know it like the back of my hand, but the book still had things to offer that you wouldn't necessarily get from the show, which was great! Tiny little glimpses of backstory and hidden dynamics between background characters. We got brief insights into dynamics between different UNIT and Government operatives that the show doesn't quite offer, even gaining insight into the minds of Mickey and Jackie that we ...more
Alan
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating - between 3 and 3.5

a nice easy read, as is usual with the Target novelizations both old and new.
as with the title 'Rose' which was published at the same time, the additions to the characters story line generally worked well.
however i didn't enjoy it quite as much as 'Rose' and i'm not sure why so will have to think about it. perhaps the original author completing the adaptation allows the 'new' or 'revised' parts to complete the whole better than if done by a different writer?

so overall a
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I want to establish first that I did think that this was a well written book, and I liked the details Colgan added to the main plot, which is always one of the pluses of novelisations. As a book, I don't have any problems with it. It's just that I've never really connected with RTD's era of the show as much as other parts of it, and the Tenth is my least favourite Doctor. The Christmas Invasion comes before my dislike of him really started to manifest itself but there were still moments
Hannah Robinson
my favourite of the new doctor who target novels so far. it was so warm and perfect and fun and nostalgic, like getting a hug from the tv show that has defined my childhood. reminded me of just how much I love this stupid romantic amazing show and the companion (rose) that will always define it for me. maybe Im bias because nine/tens era of the show will always be my favourite, but I honestly thought this was brilliant. I hope theres more new who target novels on the horizon soon because I miss ...more
Ariel
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Babies were abandoned by the side of the road or, if screaming to reach one direction, picked up and carried along with everyone else. The mothers were frantic."

Wow.. this part had be just sitting there with my mouth open.
The book was terrific I almost like it better than the TV special. I haven't decided on what I like better but I don't know maybe...

I'm just happy I finish this before midnight lol
Adam James
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, 2018
Of all the four new Doctor Who "Target" novelizations, none hit the mark more directly than Jenny T Colgan's The Christmas Invasion. Anyone who has read enough of the original Target line of books knows that these stories need to be fun, but efficient.

And while Steven Moffat's Day of the Doctor was incredibly entertaining, Colgan's novelization is far more of an accurate recreation of an original Target novel.
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Jenny Colgan, like Paul Cornell, makes her new series novelization a tribute to the style of Terrance Dicks at his height, as opposed to Russell Davies & Steven Moffat, who owe more to authors such as Malcolm Hulke, Ian Marter & Donald Cotton. That certainly isn't a criticism: this is an efficient, rollicking adaptation, with expanded material in judicious locations, and a great deal of cheeky fun. Very enjoyable all around.
Sarah Baines
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

For some reason I was beyond excited when I found out there was a novelization of The Christmas Invasion and largely, it didn't disappoint. It seemed to take a while to get started - hence the 4.5 stars - but after that fantastic stuff!! I'm hoping one day to see novelizations of Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday then I'd be deliriously happy!!
Natalie  D
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a really fun/easy novelisation of one of the most iconic episodes of Doctor Who as the introduction to David Tennant's tenth time lord. All the moments from the show are here, pretty much verbatim which makes it really easy to see the plot and characters play out in your head.

Nice reading experience, and a speedy read.
Livia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Its a good book. Not nearly as good as the Rose novelization but nice.
While the Rose novelization explored the characters we had, giving a lot new depth to Mickey and Jackie, this one simply is a more direct adaptation of the episode with some new details.
Its diverting, but I think it could have been a lot better.
Kris
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
This is the last of the 4 new target novels for me to read and the one I knew least of what to expect. It follows the original script fairly closely (just a couple of extra scenes and removing some problematic language) but what it plays with is perspective by really exploring what it would feel like to have this situation occur.

These were all great books and I hope for more soon.
Sean
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, target
Like all great Target novels, this breathes fresh life into the Doctor Who story being novelised. It's great being able to dive into Rose's inner thoughts when facing this fresh-faced new Doctor, and really get to grips with the Doctor's anger at Harriet Jones for destroying the fleeing Sycorax ship.
Thomas Swift
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Meredith
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

Jenny Colgan is amazing and brought a new level of depth to characters I have already seen on television. It is just as exciting to read, which will be repeated over and over agin. Just Fantastic!
Helen Hnin
4 stars.

I love Jenny's writing but the sad thing is that the Doctor didn't do anything until the last 30% so it was just not as interesting as it could've been. And not just this novelization, I also didn't enjoy the episode for the same reason.
Martin
An excellent novelisation. It sticks closely to what was seen on TV but expands on some things, particularly Rose's confusion at losing "her" Doctor and having to deal with what seems to be a complete stranger when the Doctor regenerates into his new body.
N
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, doctor-who
This is everything a Target book should be. Just wonderful. There's a couple of iffy bits in the way a wheelchair user is described at times, but I'm rounding up to 5/5 because everything else is just so good.
Shawn McLain
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent adaptation of the original show. Lots of fun.
Karoliina
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish this book was more original but I still loved it.
KP
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love DT's version of the Doctor...in any form of media.
Stephen Theaker
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great fun. Hope Jenny Colgan does more of these.
Tim Drury
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read, brought back memories of seeing the story on television.

• Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • Doctor Who: Combat Magicks
  • Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen
  • Doctor Who: The Target Storybook
  • Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (Target Collection)
  • Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
  • Doctor Who: Infamy of the Zaross (The Tenth Doctor Adventures, #2.1)
Jenny T. Colgan is a pseudonym of author Jenny Colgan.

Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie

Doctor Who: Target Collection (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Doctor Who: City of Death
  • Doctor Who: Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
  • Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time
  • Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Revelation of the Daleks (Target Collection)
  • Doctor Who: The Novel of the Film
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • Doctor Who: The Witchfinders (Target Collection)
  • Doctor Who: Dalek (Target Collection)