Start by marking “In Pieces” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  21,569 ratings  ·  2,787 reviews
10 hours, 41 minutes

One of the most celebrated, beloved, and enduring actors of our time, Sally Field has an infectious charm that has captivated the nation for more than five decades, beginning with her first TV role at the age of seventeen.

With raw honesty and with all the humility and authenticity her fans have come to expect, Field brings readers behind-the-scenes for
Audiobook, Unabridged, 11 pages
Published September 18th 2018 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about In Pieces, please sign up.
Mel Interesting question as it feels almost like negating any answer when you are dealing with a successful adult woman in an ego-driven industry…moreInteresting question as it feels almost like negating any answer when you are dealing with a successful adult woman in an ego-driven industry reviewing her life and the process she went through. When anyone goes through the kind of childhood abuse/neglect Field tactfully confesses it sets up a myriad of feelings, of self-doubt, being self-critical, low self-esteem. etc ad infinitum. Your accomplishments, the praise and adulation mean very little when you don't believe you areworthy of it. Each case is personal, as are the experiences in the person's journey to heal. The best answer I can give is that she is honest and feels sincere. I had a model that was molested by her stepfather and she thought she was ugly in spite of her success. Her reasoning was very convoluted; she blamed an eating disorder that led to her thin physique for her success, an eating disorder she used to have control over a life she felt she had no control over because of the molestations. She was a stunning woman that went on to marry the singer of a popular rock band. She heard repeatedly that she was beautiful and even took on the mannerisms of a beautiful woman, but never truly believed it. Point is, this is Sally's story and what the public saw was not the person but a persona. As I said in my review, I never felt Field was whining or pitying herself, but rather took responsibility for many events. Eventually, it is a story of strength and on healing. It was very profound and I have respect for her candor and tenacity. I have recommended the book to many different people for different reasons, and gave it 5*'s (something I don't do often).(less)
Lorraine0528 I'm 20% through it and it's a rough book so far. Had to put it down and take some deep breaths and find something positive to focus my attention on.

·  21,569 ratings  ·  2,787 reviews

Start your review of In Pieces
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 stars! This was unexpected. I thought I “knew” Sally Field from her movies, but it turns out she has a far-reaching, honest story to tell, and I took my time with it- some parts difficult, but all of it memorable.

Sally Field…My first introduction being either Steel Magnolias or Forrest Gump? I had heard of Gidget, the happy-go-lucky, girl-next-door, cute, charming, all smiles.

Sally Field has a story to tell. It took her seven years to write it and a lifetime to live and process it. She
Katie B
Sally Field's memoir has been out for awhile now and I just assumed all the rave reviews were because she's a likable person. (Don't worry, I will restrain myself from dropping her famous Oscar quote in this review.) But honestly the main reason people are giving it high marks is because it is so raw and honest. This isn't some fluffy autobiography churned out by a ghostwriter with the sole purpose of raking in the money by selling a ton of copies. It's actually quite powerful and moving and I ...more
Elyse  Walters
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I grew up watching Sally field along with many other people in my age group. I liked her the same way many others did.

While visiting my mom in Arizona,
she and her neighbor were both talking about Sally.
I was pretty surprised to hear them call her a “cold fish”.
Sally Field, was my
Mother’s neighbor in their small private golf
community at that time.
I had met Sally once - years prior when I was a young teen, in Oakland, California. She was “Giget”, to me then: a cute perky ‘star’. It was
Cheri
”I wait for my mother to haunt me as she promised she would; long to wake in the night with the familiar sight of her sitting at the end of my bed, to talk to her one more time, to feel that all the pieces have been put into place, the puzzle is solved, and I can rest.”

Margaret Morlan, Sally Field’s mother, was discovered by a talent scout sitting in the audience at a Pasadena Playhouse, and she almost instantly had an acting career. She was 23 when her career began, and was modestly
Lisa
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An astounding revelation of a life in pieces by an Academy Award winning American icon.

SUMMARY
Academy Award winning actress Sally Field, tells her story about a challenging and lonely childhood, the career that helped her find her voice, and her journey as an actress, daughter and a mother. She has captivated the nation for more than five decades beginning with her first TV role at the age of seventeen. From her early roles as Gidget, and The Flying Nun to the complexity of Sybil, Norma Rae and
Jonetta
I thought I knew Sally Field. To me, she was the Flying Nun, Sister Bertrille. All those other roles that followed...Norma Rae, Sybil, Mary Todd Lincoln...were departures or outliers from the perky and adorable actress I’ve known most of my life. So I believed.

If Ms. Fields accomplished nothing else with her story, she’s forever convinced people like me that she’s never been Sister Bertrille. She’s always been the actress who’s a two-time Oscar winner and a three-time Emmy winner. And, we now
JanB
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, book-club
Sally Field is a favorite actress of mine, and we now know her persona as happy and bubbly was a façade to cover deep pain. The pain she tapped to portray such characters as Sybil, Norma Rae, and Mary Todd Lincoln. All those pieces, as painful as they were, came together to form Sally Field, the serious, accomplished actress we all know today.

I appreciated her sharing her life with her fans, as well as the honesty and openness with which she shared the most painful parts of her past. She
Barbara
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

Sally Field

Sally Field, born in 1946, is well known for her extraordinary body of work in television and movies - including two Academy Awards for the films 'Norma Rae' and 'Places in the Heart.' Sally had to struggle to be taken seriously as an actress, however, because her early television roles as 'Gidget' - a surfing, boy-crazy teenager and 'The Flying Nun' - a petite novice who's airborne by her cornette, labeled her as a Hollywood lightweight.

Thus young Sally wasn't offered the dramatic
Mel
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Anytime an author writes their story I want to hear them tell it to me if it's an option. Void of gestures, eye movements, and other body language components, it's the voice that often gives the color of the story that you don't see in black and white text or hear from a narrator interpreting another's story. A trained actress on the level of Field could probably convince us the sky is really falling, but Voice and all of its inflections can mutiny when speaking from the place of a wounded ...more
Moonkiszt
In Pieces

I read somewhere in GRs that a reader had established a rule for themselves that they would never “review” memoirs as it was the sharing of a person’s memories of their life. That hit me as a true and correct way to operate, so I’m going to adopt that mode of response to memoirs. In Pieces is just that. . . by that darling person, Sally Field.

I’ve loved her since I could recognize her, and I loved the Flying Nun, and Gidget. As years went by, I looked for her, like you look for a
Marialyce
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
All that glitters is not gold came to mind so often while reading this autobiography. Indeed, Sally Field seemed to me as a happy go lucky girl, one to be envied for she was famous and adorable.

However, the truth was she never really was happy, searching for that illusive star called fame. Even with achievements that many a Hollywood Star would want for themselves, Sally’s life was fraught with unhappiness in her childhood. She was sexually abused by her stepfather and had a somewhat tenuous
Martie Nees Record
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Genre: Autobiography
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Pub. Date: September 18, 2018

If booksellers need to call this autobiography a memoir for sales purposes then it should be labeled a literary memoir. The first thing the reader needs to know is that this is not a kiss-and-tell book. If that is what you are looking for, search somewhere else. I’m sure there are a few promiscuous celebs out there with juicy memoirs currently on the bestseller list. This life story “isn’t about Hollywood or
Chrissie
I sat glued as I approached the end of this book; I did not want to put it down. It completely absorbed me. This is not your typical actress memoir. It has a message. It speaks of communication and the absence of communication within a family. It speaks of the bond between mother and daughter. Even if you do not have a strong bond between your own mother or daughter, I recommend reading this.

We all know of the famed American actress Sally Field, the recipient of two Academy awards, two Golden
Valerity (Val)
In Pieces

I found this to be a very engaging and poignant memoir by one of my favorite actresses. I thought it was beautifully and intelligently expressed and really enjoyed listening to her reading of the audiobook. This was the 2nd night in a row I’d be staying up to listen to another book, and I’m sure I nodded off in a couple of places being so tired. So I plan to listen to it again to find any parts I may have missed.

I’ve always been aware that she is brave, but I’m really blown away by
MissBecka
It's got everything you would expect from an actress in a memoir...sad and slightly bitter childhood memories, name dropping and sparks of happiness sprinkled throughout.
The big difference for me was the writing. Sally Field has a way with words.
She relays her memories with such picturesque beauty you really do feel like you're there.
She manages the timeline of the book beautifully despite the content not being very exciting.
I really admired how she wasn't afraid to reveal unflattering pieces
Myrna
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a linear memoir but the majority focuses on her early years. After talking about the film Norma Rae she speeds right through the rest of the years. Maybe she only shared the “pieces” she says had the greatest impact on the woman she is today. I’m not sure. Also, in this memoir, you will not find the perky Sally she’s personified but more of a people pleaser but not a total push over with some deeeeeep revelations. After listening to her memoir (read and written by Sally), I liked it and ...more
Nancee
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like Sally Field. I really like her.
Unfortunately, I did not like her memoir. I found it slow moving and dull. Ultimately, it was the story of her relationship with her mother through the years. And it felt like it took years to read about it. Sorry Sal.
Laura Noggle
*Honest, raw, soulful: This is not your run-of-the-mill celebrity memoir—Field goes DEEP!*

Wow! What an amazing book! Definitely my favorite memoir of 2019 so far.
Tear jerker of an ending.

"Like flipping a switch, I began to bubble" ... Sally Field gives us all her walled off sections, slowly building from her childhood on.

I came into this book knowing almost nothing about Sally Field, other than she was in Forest Gump, Mrs Doubtfire, and maybe I'd heard of The Flying Nun.

This book is an IN DEPTH
StMargarets
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A harrowing read in some ways. Sally Field did not have an easy life - growing up or in her career or in her relationships with men.

She was neglected as a small child and sexually abused by her stepfather. Those pieces followed her around for most of her life as she used acting as a way to get in touch with the scary emotions dwelling inside her.

The narrative is in chronological order, but there are a great gaps in time and SF has no conclusions to make. She's still a work in progress and I
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and brave human being Sally Field is. In this book she reveals painful and honest truths of her past and how they laid the foundation for the person she is today.
The audiobook is read by the author, which makes the book so much more personable and compelling. Highly recommended!
Carole P. Roman
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Raw and gritty, this is an insider's look to a dysfunctional Hollywood family. Not what I was expecting, Sally Field draws back a curtain and vividly exposes her hard-scrabble childhood with an abusive step-father and an emotionally absent (perhaps drunk) mother. Through the carnage, she stumbles into her acting career in a haze of drugs and emotional eating, marries her childhood sweetheart and survives by enabling gross bad behavior from everyone she knows except perhaps her brother. (who ...more
Maureen
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
I feel as if I grew up with Sally Field, as a teenager I loved to watch Gidget and then the Flying Nun and then Sybil. I never know what a terrible childhood Sally had. Sally took seven years to write this memoir. She was neglected as a child and abused by her stepfather. This is a raw look at her life and how she used acting to escape reality. It is beautifully written with pictures. Sally Field gave her all to this book. I think everyone should read it.
Suzanne
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely intimate and candid. This autobiography leaves readers shocked and emotionally moved. I have read many autobiographies and appreciate them a great deal when they are not sugar coated or paint a completely pretty picture since most of us are very aware of how messy but beautiful life truly is.

My quick and simple overall: extremely incredible. Highly recommend this autobiography when you reach for your next nonfiction read.
Wendy'sThoughts
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sally Field Fans, Biography
2018 Best Memoir & Autobiography
Semifinal Round Nominees

Sally Field has been in my life from the beginning.
She was the cute Gidget...
The Unbelievable Flying Nun...
The woman in Smokey and the Bandit...
She broke her typecasting with Stay Hungry...

And then she Leaped to the Next Level with Norma Rae...
Causing the Oscar Moment none of us will ever forget...

"You Like me, You Really Like Me..."

And We Loved her, We Really Have for So Many Years...
Now This is Her Time... Breaking It All Down ...
Michael
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I have been a huge fan of Sally field for a number of reasons: Versatile as an actress, as a kind individual and the roles she played has sparked a great interest in me. My favorite movie is Ms Doubtfire,she plays the dutiful wife that is stuck in a marriage that is not going anywhere..Then she hires a 'nanny' to care of her life but there is more to the story that I don't want to spoil for the people who have not watched it. It is something about her as a person that inspires me, and reading ...more
Constantine
Rating: 3.5/5.0

I like Sally Field as an actress. She is not a favorite of mine but definitely a very good actress. This book was good to read. It has lots of the troubles she went through in life be it her struggle as an actress or the hardships that she faced as a human being. Of course, the highlight of the book as many readers say is she revealing being abused by her stepfather in her childhood. One has to be really brave to tell the world that.

As a book, the writing though is not
Tooter
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. If Sally Field actually wrote this (and not a ghostwriter), she's extremely articulate and talented.
Debbie Zapata
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019sundaze
I am amazed at this woman's strength of character.

She survived events that would have destroyed most people.

We always think we know actors, simply because we see them so much.

But you won't know Sally Field until you read this book.

At the end you will understand her, respect her, and love her more than ever.

Thank you, Sally for your courage in sharing so much of yourself in these pages.
☮Karen

Back in the day, way back, I watched Gidget and some of The Flying Nun, so I knew of Sally Field from the start of her acting career. Sybil is what made me and many others sit up and take notice of her acting talent. After that, I liked her in Forrest Gump and Places in the Heart. I envied her relationship with Burt Reynolds. And her hair! I loved her hair in those Smoky and the Bandit films.

She wasn't just a hairdo or Burt's girlfriend. Burt didn't exactly treat her well, which came
Wendy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019, dec-19
One of my favourite actresses Sally Field gives us a honest, raw and extremely intimate look at her life.
Not knowing much about her personal life I was shocked at some of the things she revealed such as her dysfunctional family, years of abuse, etc.
Listening to Sally tell her story with so much emotion I felt I was experiencing her life with her.
I was deeply moved!
Play Book Tag: In Pieces by Sally Field 5 stars 4 15 Jul 31, 2019 01:37PM
Play Book Tag: In Pieces by Sally Field 4 stars 8 27 Feb 09, 2019 01:49PM

• Inside Out
  • Becoming
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, & Baking Biscuits
  • Small Fry
  • Robin
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Summer of '69
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
Sally Field is an American actress and director. Her acting career began in 1965, when she landed the role of Frances Elizabeth 'Gidget' Lawrence in Gidget. Since then she has appeared and directed TV movies and miniseries. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for both Norma Rae in 1979 and Places in the Heart in 1984. Field also won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for ...more
“All of them with wounds that wouldn’t heal because no one acknowledged they were bleeding, and yet each of them needing the other to be near. And that—I realize—is how this story fits into my life. These generations of women, weaving a pattern into a lifelong garment, unconsciously handed down from mother to daughter to granddaughter to me.” 13 likes
“How can you change who you are and learn what it takes to get up, over and over, if you can’t allow yourself to feel how much it hurts to be knocked down?” 6 likes