Start by marking “Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy” as Want to Read:
Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy

Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy

Roderick hates going to bed, and the young boy has become quite resourceful in coming up with ways to delay the dreaded hour when the lights must go out. Roderick's loving parents--fed up with the distractions and demands that have become his anti-bedtime ritual--decide to get him a stuffed animal to cuddle with and help him wind down. However, Sleepy quickly proves to be ...more
Published September 11th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy, please sign up.
Danica Midlil Our four-year-old thought it was pretty funny, but we did have to explain quite a bit, so maybe five would be better.

Abigail
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Entertaining New Bedtime Stories
Drew Daywalt and Scott Campbell - the author behind the hilarious The Day the Crayons Quit , and the author/illustrator of the amusing Hug Machine , respectively - join forces in this entertaining new bedtime tale. When Roderick has trouble going to sleep, his parents give him Sleepy, a little stuffed animal meant to help him go to bed. Instead, Sleepy is every bit as resistant to bedtime as Roderick. Will he keep Roderick up indefinitely, or is there a method to his madness...?

I greatly enjoy
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roderick hates to go to bed, and he uses stall tactics to avoid going. One day his parents buy him Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy, in hopes that he will be able to go to sleep more easily.

Sleepy is a very funny story with lots of kid appeal. The ending is very satisfying.
Garrett
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
I wish I had a goodnight buddy--but not Sleepy. What a little shi--
Alex Ward
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
1) This was kind of funny but I did not LOL. 2) The part where he reads a book aloud was really confusing until I realized he was reading "The Day the Crayons Quit," Drew Daywalt's other book. A very obscure easter egg that I don't think any kid (or most adults) will pick up on, especially with a different illustrator.
Chance Lee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
This is one of those books that hinges on the dramatic irony of a child having to deal with something that is just as annoying as the child is. The main character of this one doesn't quite realize that, making it hard to tell if the book is making fun of this sort of behavior or asking the child to empathize with it and mature.
Michele Knott
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This will be a great read aloud!
Kristina Jean Lareau

Funny, and a great read aloud.
Melissa
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious and brilliant. I love Drew Daywalt.
Angela
Dec 31, 2018 added it
Shelves: funny, picture-book
Oh the irony! Daywalt sure knows how to get kids chuckling. This would make a funny read-aloud for a school visit, especially for kindergarten and up, as story includes the phrase "witch's butt." Made me laugh. Geared toward older kids and adults, the latter most of all I believe. Scott Campbell illustrations are delightful as ever and those that loved Zombie in Love (DiPucchio & Campbell) and The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors (Daywalt & Rex) will get a big kick out of it.
Danica Midlil
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very glad I listened to my husband reading this one to our children. If I had done it, it would have been creepy, but he gave the weird stuffed animal the perfect mix of innocence and obnoxious toddlerness. Ended up being quite funny.
Denise
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Love, love this and so did the Kindergarten classes at Bridgman Elementary School!!
Jason
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Totally predictable, but also really fun and funny. Great writer/illustrator combo!
Tasha
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Roderick hated to go to bed, so he would make all sorts of requests and excuses to delay bedtime. Then his parents got him Sleepy, a toy that would help Roderick fall asleep. At first, no matter where Roderick put Sleepy in his bedroom, he could feel Sleepy’s staring eyes on him. Roderick tried to tell Sleepy that it was his job to help Roderick sleep, but Sleepy asked for a drink of water, then to use the bathroom, then to brush his teeth, and on and on. Until finally, Roderick loses his temper ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy by Drew Daywalt, illustrated by Scott Campbell. PICTURE BOOK. Disney Hyperion, 2018. $17. 9781484789698

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

In an effort to get young Roderick to fall asleep on his own, his parents buy him a goodnight buddy - a stuffed animal that looks a little like a bear and a little like a moose. This stuffed animal has a hard time falling asleep himself and wears Roderick out with his requests and questions.

I have seen th
Becky B
Roderick doesn't like going to bed. He uses all the tricks in the book to stay up a little bit longer. That is until his parents give him Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy. Sleepy is supposed to help him sleep, but Sleepy turns out to be a bit of a handful.

Roderick gets a huge, whopping taste of his own medicine in this story. Sleepy pulls all the stay up a little longer trips on Roderick until he's about to lose it. This idea has been done a few times before in kids lit, the only thing that makes thi
Kelsey
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool+
Toys: Stuffed Animal

Roderick loves playing the question game with his parents so he can stay up as long as humanly possible, taking advantage of his parents penchant for over-explaining things. When presented with a sleeping buddy, Roderick is bothered by its large, "freaky" eyes and tosses him away only to find out that Sleepy is alive. Sleepy proceeds to drag Roderick through the same drawn-out bedtime production that Roderick just did to his parents, until he is as worn out as
Kate
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Drew Daywalt is becoming a major player in children's literature since his playful and popular The Day the Crayons Quit. It's hard to follow-up something as successful and whimsical and this one isn't quite on the same level but it's still very good. I used it as a read-aloud for my story time and it was a big hit with the parents as well as the kids.
Bethany
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doesn't every parent want their refuses-to-go-to-sleep child to get a taste of their own medicine? Because, of course, there's nothing wrong with wanting a sip of water or needing to talk about Big Questions, but it's exhausting to be on the receiving end of the endless, stalling, feet-dragging requests.

And, just like Roderick, who discovers that Sleepy simply cannot go to the bathroom alone or attempt to sleep without a snack or then go to bed without brushing his teeth or ... or ... or ...

I th
Aaron Loeffelbein
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who's ever had a kid who just would NOT go to sleep at night (or, in my case, anyone who's ever BEEN that kid), will probably wet their pants laughing while trying to read this book. I almost did! Thankfully, that didn't happen. I did snort-laugh, though, and I laugh-farted once. (It happens). Okay, twice. But anyway, this book comes highly recommended, and I hope that this author/illustrator team decides to pursue a sequel (which is hinted at in the back of the book--also Drew Daywalt ha ...more
Michelle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kids (ages 7 and 9) and I just picked up this brand new hilarious book “Sleepy the Goodnight Buddy” by Drew Daywalk and Scott Campbell (the author/illustrator of “The Day the Crayons Quit” series). Oh my goodness did we laugh so hard reading about a boy who receives a goodnight buddy to help him go to sleep. Let’s just say it doesn’t go as planned! 🤣 We give this book two thumps up! A perfect holiday gift for kids age 4+!
Cindy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has done the nightime routine runaround.

This book cracked me up. A little kid is given a sleepy time buddy, but when it turns out the buddy can talk, we are sent down an endless cycle of him doing everything he can to prolong going to bed. Maybe I found this so hilarious because I am currently many years removed from these antics, but it reminded me vividly of those day.

That, and I envision our children's librarians playing this out during storytime--I can't wait.
Christy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parents. You are going to love this book as much as (if not more than) your children. When Roderick uses every excuse in the book to stay up late, his parents get him a goodnight buddy. Roderick finds out what it is like to have a "buddy" who refuses to go to sleep!
I really got a good chuckle out of this book. Been there, done that, right? I definitely recommend this one. It's a great story to read before bed!
Thanks, Disney, for providing me with a review copy.
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Roderick makes too many goodnight excuses, his parents buy him a "goodnight" buddy that turns the tables on Roderick. I love the humor that will likely be over kid's heads, but also the story will be entertaining for kids. I am also interested to see how many kids get that the Goodnight buddy did the same thing as Roderick and that the Goodnight Buddy worked. Don't miss: in the end-pages there's a hint of what Roderick will be needing next...a wake up buddy.
The Library Lady
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Funny, but not as funny as the author thinks it is. Note the plug for The Day the Crayons Quit. I far prefer the art in that book, the art here is awkward and ugly.
Note for the faint hearted
The following words appear in this book: "pee" and "butt."
Nicole
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The little guy in the story has a TON of excuses why he doesn't need to go to sleep yet. Then his parents get him a "goodnight buddy". The buddy ends up having the same sleeping problems as the kid (hilarious)!! Parents will get a kick out of this story and maybe they will want to get a "goodnight buddy" for their own child. Really good bedtime story!
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I absolutely love this picture book! It is about a boy who does not want to go to bed, and about his Goodnight Buddy (who may be a moose or a bear, he’s not too sure) who helps him fall asleep by exasperating him into exhaustion. This book has wonderful humor and cliché excuses galore! Please, give this one a try. It will put a smile on your face, guaranteed!

- Miss Emily
Katrina Pieri
Roderick hates going to bed, and always finds excuses to stay up longer, so his parents give him “Sleepy,” a stuffed animal, to help him sleep, turns out, sleepy has the same problem, and now Roderick must deal with all of Sleepy’s pre-sleep requests! Hilarious (especially reading it as an adult). 38 pages.
Anthony
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roderick hated going to bed, and used every excuse to stay up longer, a drink of water, a story, asking for a pony, etc. Finally his parents gave him a goodnight buddy to help him sleep. Turns out Sleepy, the goodnight buddy, hated going to bed even more than Roderick. Humorous bed time story where the tables are turned.
Margaret Boling
1/3/2019 ~ Leave it to Drew Daywalt to write a slightly subversive good-night book. So, did the parents know that Sleepy, the goodnight buddy could talk? The buddy did it's job: exhausted Roderick to the point that he finally fell asleep. Meanwhile, I'm sure the folks could do their own relaxing.

What I really missed? Some sort of conspiratorial glimpse of the parents on the final end papers.
Peacegal
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A hip update on the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..." plotline. Kids and adults will laugh out loud as the tables are turned on a kid who constantly tries to weasel out of bedtime. Odd, funny character and some truly humorous situations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • I Just Want to Say Good Night
  • Playtime?
  • Sheep 101
  • Sir Simon: Super Scarer
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • What This Story Needs Is a Hush and a Shush
  • I Dare You Not to Yawn
  • Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise
  • Go to Sleep, Monster!
  • Penguin & Tiny Shrimp Don’t Do Bedtime!
  • Goodnight, Good Dog
  • Go Sleep in Your Own Bed!
  • Good Night, Sleep Tight
  • Hooray for Today!
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • Goodnight Mr Panda
  • Mama's Kisses
  • Caring for Your Lion
Ever since his childhood in one of Ohio’s most haunted houses, writer director Drew Daywalt has been writing escapist fantasy and building worlds of his own. With a degree in Creative Writing, and a concentration in Children’s Literature from Emerson College in Boston, Daywalt set off to Hollywood where he spent years writing for Disney and Universal on such beloved shows as Timon & Pumba, Buz ...more