Start by marking “Rx” as Want to Read:
Rx

Rx

A graphic memoir about the treatment of mental illness, treating mental illness as a commodity, and the often unavoidable choice between sanity and happiness.

In her early twenties in New York City, diagnosed with bipolar disorder, Rachel Lindsay takes a job in advertising in order to secure healthcare coverage for her treatment. But work takes a strange turn when she is p
Published September 4th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rx, please sign up.
Hillary There is some language in this book that you might want to be aware of. There is a lot of discussion about how she reconciles the life she lives to st…moreThere is some language in this book that you might want to be aware of. There is a lot of discussion about how she reconciles the life she lives to stay healthy and how it creates a "triggering environment" leading to a manic episode. Also, I think that having a background understanding of what bipolar disorder is would make it easier to understand for a teenager.(less)

Start your review of Rx
Cristina Monica
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading a memoir—whether in prose or graphic novel format—, it's hard not to start caring about the author, and usually very much, especially if you enjoyed their thoughts and empathize with them.

This is definitely one of those books. Because I care for Rachel Lindsay, I’m saddened by the fact that this work has been out for ten days already, and yet it doesn’t even have 30 ratings. That’s a real tragedy because this is worth it, oh so worth it.

Rachel Lindsay is mentally ill. She is bipola
David Schaafsma
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are many graphic memoirs out now about mental illness, but few are as clear-eyed, sharp and articulately honest. Lindsey is bipolar, but manages to graduate from Columbia University, and gets into a fine advertising firm, but gets transferred to the Pfizer account, a promotion. The complication is that she is taking medication from places like Pfizer. At some point she begins to really unravel, and she documents this decline with efficiency and clarity, which is to say we get to hear every ...more
Stewart Tame
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good and all, but figuring out how to begin this review was a challenge.

There are tons of autobiographical graphic novels out there. There are even lots of them that are specifically medical in theme, to the point where my local library even has its own dedicated set of shelves labelled “Medical Graphic Novels.” Back in the 80's, when the term was first coming into widespread use, who even knew that would be a thing?

So RX is very similar to many other books out there, hardly a rin
Jon Nakapalau
Rachel Lindsey works for an add agency that comes up with ways to 'spin' the very medications she must take to help her deal with her bipolar disorder! She must hold down this job to afford the very medications she needs to try to live a normal life. Excellent look at the state of mental health in todays climate of conflicting social narratives.
Matthew Noe
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A searing look into bipolar, the drug marketing industry, and American healthcare's toll on us all, this is a must-read addition to the graphic medicine canon. I purposely chose the word searing because there are a few pages that feel burned into my mind after reading. These pages are ones that push back against the hierarchical structure of "sanity" and the systems erected to defend it. They are pages that ask us to reframe - literally using panels to do so - conversations about illness, wellne ...more
vanessa
On the surface, this is a simple graphic memoir about mental health: woman is caught in a cycle that's hard to come out of until she gets help. But Rx is fantastic. Rx is special because of the illustrations - I truly felt "there" during Lindsay's manic episode: the anger, the incredulity she felt at people telling her she's not making good choices. The "EAT SHIT!" mentality felt so real and understandable and that's what completely captivated me while reading this. It's high-energy, loud, and f ...more
Rod Brown
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sick day! Chest cold and laryngitis. Time to rest, read, and review.

Rachel Lindsay offers a disturbing look into her involuntary commitment for mental illness in 2011. Despite working within the system by having a job that provided health insurance, seeing a psychiatrist, and taking her medications for her bipolar disorder, Lindsay is forced into hospitalization when her parents and doctors suspect her abrupt decision to quit her job and move out of state is a manic episode. The humor of her exa
Vicki Crosson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-physical
I received an ARC intended for review, and I'm so glad that I ended up with this book! As a fellow bipolar-haver trying to get by in the corporate world, everything in the author's story really spoke to me. I can't speak to the average reader's experience with this book, nor how relatable it would be to neurotypical folks...but for a fellow broken type, this book was the perfect amount of honest, thoughtful, and introspective. I could see myself in the protagonist throughout the whole book, even ...more
KC
An incredible look at one women's journey with her discovery and commitment to bettering her mental health through illustration and candid text. This inspiring, creative and emotional graphic novel reminds us all of the tremendous hurdles and struggles of those with mental health issues face daily.
Brittany
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The energy in this book is astounding. Lindsay's art sort of sweeps you up and takes you along for the ride, and you'll finish feeling a little bit rattled and a little bit more knowledgeable. It's a great look at the pharmaceutical industry from a perspective we don't often get, and a glimpse into family dynamics and self-awareness under the lens of bipolar. Highly recommended.
Kate
The hardcover edition of this book is sturdy and has a nice heft in the hand. I intend to fling a copy at the head of the next person who says "Oh, I don't like to take medication" (as though anyone does)(as though we would be flooding our systems with drugs if we had any alternative)(as though the side effects and expense are something we enjoy)(as though—

Anyway, this is good
Michael Schwartz
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a must read for anyone struggling with mental illness and the “rightness” of where they are in live. This memoir makes it clear that there is always a tomorrow and that perspective means a lot in getting to a happy place.
Barbara McEwen
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A graphic memoir about struggling with mental illness. Rings true for me as I see similarities to my mom who has schizophrenia. You can feel the anguish and frustration of not having control over your own life and being in committed in a psych ward.
Travis Duke
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A very personal story about mental illness and recovery. Rachel has a corporate job that triggers her mental illness into a downward spiral and she chronicles her steps to recovery. The book was written as therapy and the starting point for the authors recovery. As sensitive of a subject matter as mental health is Rachel Lindsay takes a quick and dirty approach to writing this, its a very fast read but its also very in your face. I wish she was maybe a little more creative in the panel process a ...more
Jeanne
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read graphic novels. This one is different. It is a biography about mental illness. It captured me and I read it in one sitting. It was fantastic. I will recommend it to everyone.
Karen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I felt like the majority of the book was about how terrible it is to take meds and how terrible it is to see a doctor and how awful it is to get acute care. These things have saved lives. I say that as someone who lives with bipolar and experiences literally all of these things. However in the plus column her representation of mania is VERY accurate. I didn't like the talk about how life ruining (in what I perceived to be her opinion) living with bipolar is. How it holds her back. If you're look ...more
Patb
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A poignant look at how a young woman lives her life being bipolar.

Read Harder Challenge - read a graphic memoir.
Rich
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Maybe this is biased because I attended a talk Lindsay gave about her graphic memoir. But...I think she’s brilliant and authentic, and those qualities shine in her work. RX hasn’t been given the platform it deserves.
Kelly Hager
On the surface, this is a very simple story. Rachel is institutionalized against her will after she spirals during a manic episode. The text and drawings are both incredibly large.

Take a closer look, though. While Rachel is what the eye is drawn to (we're in her head, after all, and we see her thoughts), we also can see the stricken expressions of the people who are watching her slide ever further out of control.

There's also the fact that she works for an advertising agency and that her job is t
Cynthia Nicola
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It felt authentic which is not surprising since it is her story!
Cy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
a raw and real memoir of the author's struggle living with bipolar disorder, being hospitalized against her will during a bad manic episode, and being trapped in the tangle of the mental health system. i've read similar memoirs before, but this one raised a lot of questions that the others avoided, especially regarding the flaws of the system and how it so often fails the people it's meant to help.

the book is a very fast read, with big, expressive pictures and little dialogue. i'd love to read
Aylssa Cowell
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously sweary account of a woman's manic episode which leads to hospitalization, brought on by working on anti-depressant adverts. I'm tempted to pull some of the pages out & get them framed.
Disclaimer: I was PMSing quite bad when I read it so may have identified with the main character a bit too much, hah.
Ron Turner
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
An honest look at what it's like to be diagnosed with a mental illness. The feeling of hopelessness and frustration that you're trapped in a system that wants you to mindlessly conform. Take the pills, keep your head down, OBEY. It's sad. You know there's something wrong but at the same time you feel manipulated.
Sheila
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting take on mental health and pharma
Jamie Olson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Jamie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first graphic memoir or graphic anything. So good. Darkly funny, deeply moving.
Hannah
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much complaining and bashing on medicine for mental illness for my taste. Also, pristiq saved my life and I hated how it was represented. Medicine for mental health isn't bad k?
Amy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh...I don’t mind graphic novels but this has no depth. The drawings were good. I was expecting more after reading the EW review and the high ratings here.
Dakota Morgan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Rx is a darkly comic whirlwind through the author's manic breakdown and partial recovery. The art and high-speed storytelling accurately reflect a manic episode, but clinical understanding and third-party voices get lost in the weeds. I'm not saying Rx needed several text-heavy pages explaining "here's what bipolar disorder is", just that it would have benefited from a perspective not so deeply embedded in Lindsay's head. That style of storytelling certainly works here - Rx is powerful in how pe ...more
Mid-Continent Public Library
Though I'm not a big reader of graphic novels, I tore through this book in one sitting. Author Rachel Lindsay's memoir shares her story of unraveling into a manic bipolar episode, its drop into a deep depression (rapid cycling), and how she pulls back the pieces of her life to heal.
Punchy black and white graphics that cleverly intensifies her emotional state, she depicts her story with a raw and powerful voice that leaves the reader experiencing exactly how she felt. Powerful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lady Doctor
  • Mom's Cancer
  • Minding the Store: A Big Story about a Small Business
  • A Fire Story
Rachel Lindsay is a cartoonist based in Burlington, VT.

She is a graduate of Columbia University, where she created the first graphic novel thesis in any undergraduate or graduate program.

News & Interviews