Start by marking “Feminasty: The Complicated Woman's Guide to Surviving the Patriarchy Without Drinking Herself to Death” as Want to Read:

From the wickedly funny and feminist creator and host of the "Throwing Shade" podcast, a collection of hilarious personal essays and political commentary perfect for fans of Lindy West and Roxane Gay.

Since women earned the right to vote a little under one hundred years ago, our progress hasn't been the Olympic sprint toward gender equality first wave feminists hoped for,
Published September 4th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Feminasty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminasty

Johann (jobis89)
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Too bad I don't give a fuck about what the patriarchy wants."

I've been listening to the Throwing Shade podcast since I began even listening to podcasts - it was one of my first discoveries and I still listen religiously every week. Erin Gibson co-hosts the show with the just as amazing Bryan Safi, and together they tackle all LGBTQ+ issues, as well as feminist ones too. So when I heard Erin was releasing a book I knew I needed it yesterday. And let me tell you, it was every bit as honest, scath
Kylie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The perfect audiobook to listen to while walking around in Whole Foods eating cotton candy grapes
Lauren
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've been reading a lot of feminist essays lately (I wonder why?), and I was super excited to read Erin Gibson's book. I finished it in two days and loved it - I deal with bad situations using humor, so I loved her writing style, but I also learned quite a bit. Highly recommend for anyone who needs to laugh while being angry (my default state).
Kate
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
One day read. I started crying at the dedication ("To women. You are not my competition."), and the rest of my day has been a rage/delight sandwich. Loved it to bits.
Aline Alves
May 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
"Expected publication: September 4th 2018" NOPE, TOO FAR, I NEED IT NOW
Carey Gibbons
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Both funny and deadly serious. And honest and angry. I recommend this to every woman out there who thinks she can't go another day in this dumpster fire world.

I wish I knew Erin in real life. I also love Drag Race, pizza, and crotch kicking. And we we born only 4 days apart. #vaaaaaaaanjie
Denise
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have already dubbed Erin Gibson my inner nasty feminist icon. I usually try to be level headed and polite when it comes to debates about women's issues, so Erin's way of vocalizing the anger and frustration is like the devil on my shoulder being handed a megaphone. The creativity and lengths she goes to spotlight the ridiculous hypocrisy, irony and absurdity of our current political and social environment never ceased to amaze me. She can get a bit heavy-handed sometimes, but her arguments are ...more
Bonnie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
If I could gift this book to every woman or at least every woman in the western world, I would. This is something special. This book will make you cry with laughter, this book will make you proud to be a woman, it will also make you angry af about how women are still treated in society today. This book will inspire you to become a better woman and open your eyes to how things are really being run. This book will also give you hope because there is a change in the air. It may not be in one fell s ...more
Bonnie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cbr-10
I'm a huge Throwing Shade fan, so an Erin Gibson book promised a real treat. And it is more than that: it is a tour de force of rage, humor, and absurdity over feminist issues that do not receive enough attention. I laughed and raged at the same time, and I left a little more educated. I hope there is a sequel, as well as companion books by Bryan and Sam, named Homosensual and Heterosensitive, respectively. Long live Lady Attorney!
Nikki
Sep 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, feminism
i'm in a special kind of hell where other women think they're giving worthwhile commentary on feminism by talking about giving blowjobs while wearing their invisalign retainers.
Rebecca Jonas
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How do you deal with the gross misogyny making up much of the shitscape of 2018 Trump Nation? Knowledge. And humor. Read this book. Learn you’re not alone in your rage. Find solace, power, empathy, and a lot of laughs, and walk away inspired and with some practical knowledge to make small every day changes. (The essay on makeup will change who you buy from). Seriously. Read this.
Jessica
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I love Erin Gibson but I couldn’t get through this book without feeling supremely depressed. At this point in history I don’t need to be reminded about how shitty things are. I’ve listened to her podcast and watched her show and get her whole vibe, and I like it. But this book is long extended metaphors designed for shock value and gross-out factor.
Nils
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook-only
This. Book. Is. Amazing.
It is educational, infuriating, hilarious and so important. So many topics are covered here and everyone can learn something. Read this book NOW!
Kendall
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
This book is not for beginner 'feminists'. There's language and deep thoughts and I love it.

My biggest/easiest takeaway is how insane and dumb it is that medicine knows next-to-nothing about female anatomy, menstruation, and general female physiology. It is WILD how half of the population's regular physical happenings are just "mysterious" and unknowable. And mayyyybe it's that this book wasn't well researched but based on my own interactions with medicine, it seems pretty accurate. And strange.
Ofilia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gloria Steinem said "the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off" and that is exactly what this book is plus lots of laughs. Gibson does a great job of infusing humor into topics you would never have thought could be funny. She does not hold back and that's what makes this book so enjoyable.
Kelly Hager
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is literally laugh out loud funny. This is a good thing because, to quote Carrie Fisher, "If it weren't funny, it would just be true and that is unacceptable."

So yes, this is really required reading for women. It's all things you already know, but phrased in a way that will make you feel much better about how needlessly hard things can be.

In a perfect world, Erin Gibson would be my friend. Unfortunately, as this book proves, we aren't in that world. But we are in a world where she cal
Anna
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Hilarious. Fantastic. Frightening. Fucking laugh-out-loud funny. Feminasty was sent to me by a very good and perceptive friend, and I started reading it the week I needed it most. Gibson dismantles topics like anti-abortion crusaders and abstinence-only education and Mike Pence with a perfect blend of rage, humour, and information. Like Sex Object, but so funny that I wept real laugh-tears on the subway more than once. Highly recommend for any woman who's pissed off at the state of the ...more
Jeremy Hurd-McKenney
Feminasty is more of a bellow than a call to arms--Gibson's style of humor is very unapologetically blunt and her prose is peppered liberally with stomach-churning visuals, graphically descriptive metaphors, and swear words you've probably never even heard before (all accentuated by the awesome PowerPoint presentation she did at her reading in Seattle). Even at her grossest, though, she stays on message, and discusses feminism in a way that doesn't make you feel stupid or excluded. I love all th ...more
Mackie Welch
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5. I..... have thoughts. Did I learn anything? Not really. Did I laugh? A few times. I found this to be a little crass...which is saying something because I in no way talk or joke conservatively. But...I dunno it was a bit much. Especially about other women...in a book about feminism. I dunno, it wasn't entirely my cup of tea. But I also didn't hate it. I really enjoyed the tips on buying products from female-run cosmetic companies.
Brandon Ulman
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vital reading in 2018. Brutal and brutally honest, told with pitch-perfect, hilarious vulgarity. And in this day and age, you have to laugh to keep from crying.
MomIsReading
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I burned through this audiobook this week during my commute. Loved it - it’s funny, timely, and educational. I’m off to subscribe to her podcast now.
Judie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nothing I didn't already know, but the audio book read by Erin Gibson, is fucking hilarious and wouldn't have the same effect by simply reading.
Dana
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, nonfiction
This is exactly as mediocre as I expected it to be. The audiobook experience was grating, and that's coming from a huge Throwing Shade fan.
Anna Lawrence
This book was hilarious, informative, and made me so happy I'm a lesbian.
Jennifer Ciaccio
Funny, smart, inspiring

If you are a woman, read this book. If you are a feminist, read this book. If you are NOT a feminist, read this book. Erin is a perfect voice for us. We're angry, we're frustrated, and we're fed up. She puts it in a way that will (hopefully) make you understand why. There are not enough stars in the world for this one.
Diana
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously funny!
Martha
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exuberantly over the top, vulgar, and mostly hilarious.
Elizabeth
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, but it's not for everyone. I decided to get the audiobook when I saw the author narrated and it was an excellent decision. She's very animated and I got more out of it read in her voice.

I'm tempted to give this a 5 because I appreciated the research that went into this. I loved how often she cited facts, figures, and studies. Additionally, I kind of hate B or C-list comedienne memoirs because they can feel slapped together, but Erin and her editor did a great job struct
Angie
This is a quickly-read collection of humorous essays on many social topics - feminism, the hell spawn that is Mike Pence, #metoo, lady bits, and much more. It’s very current and very 2018. This works well if you read it when it’s released but it’s not a book that is going to age well since it’s packed full of pop culture references that will fade from memory with in a few years time. Overall, Gibson addresses many important subjects and brings humor to each of them with expertise and style. Ther ...more
Renee
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book in general, but especially in audiobook format. Erin Gibson's delivery is an absolute delight. In fact, I would say if you already read it in book form, it's worth buying in audiobook form just for a few moments I won't spoil here, one of which made me have to take a break from running on the treadmill at the gym so I could catch my breath from laughing so much.

This book has it all. It's hilarious, educational, distressing, disgusting, and therapeutic all at the same
POBL Nonfiction B...: April Book Discussion - Feminasty 1 1 Jan 03, 2019 02:26PM
“But no woman, no matter how terrible, despicable, and hypocritical, deserves to be called a whore for what she’s wearing.” 0 likes