Start by marking “The Dark Vault: Unlock the Archive (The Archived, #1-2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Vault: Unlock the Archive (The Archived, #1-2.5)

The Dark Vault: Unlock the Archive

(The Archived #1-2.5)

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.
Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.
Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and
Published August 14th 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

Start your review of The Dark Vault: Unlock the Archive (The Archived, #1-2.5)
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 starsmy full review is now up on my blog!

“Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell …”

There is a reason why V.E. Schwab is so hugely successful, has earned herself such a loyal fanbase, and has taken not only the Young Adult, but also the Adult Fantasy genre by a storm—and that is her innate ability to create worlds, characters, and storylines that draw you in, mind and heart, and refuse to let you go.

The Dark Vault is, as expected,
Kai
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The reason I'm rating this book before its release is that I have read this series before. And if you have not, make sure you do.
Amelia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Archived: 4.5 stars
The Unbound: 5 stars
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Earlier on in the year, if I had to list authors who just didn’t agree with me, V. E. Schwab woulda been one of them. I read A Darker Shade of Magic and the Monsters of Verity series and, while I didn’t dislike them, I wasn’t blown away.

I am now, as they say, eating humble pie because latest books of hers that I’ve read have been fire. I adored Vengeful, but The Vault has stolen my heart.

This book contains both books in The Archived series, plus a short story from Wesley’s point of view (I AM
Marie
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases, arcs
Schwab never ever disappoints with her books and she builds amazing worlds, I am amazed every single time. The Dark Vault was everything I wanted it to be, mysterious, a little creepy at times, filled with suspense and twists and gripping from page one. A wonderful series! :)

Read my full review of The Dark Vault on the blog.

Thank you to Titan Books for sending me a review copy of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books -
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
> 4 stars!

Given this is a bind-up of two books, it’s slightly hard to review errr book one was a 3.5 for me, but book 2 was a steady 4! So I guess I’ll round it up and stick with a 4 overall because I’m a diehard Schwab stan

- honestly I really enjoyed this, Schwab creates really memorable worlds and I’m glad this omnibus edition got released because otherwise I probably would not have read this series :(( (I was too lazy to get my hands on it before, SORRY)

The Dark Vault is a bind up that contains all three stories in Victoria Schwab's Archived series together in print for the first time. I'm going to review each of the stories separately but this has been a really fun series to read so it's one I'd definitely recommend trying.

The Archived:

Imagine a world where after you die a kind of copy of your soul is taken to the Archive to be kept as part of the world history. These copies, also known as “Histories”, contain all of your memories and
Sabrina Ye
wtf why I didn't know this until now????? ...more
Chanel
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Closer to 3.5 or 3.75 but I’m rounding up because I liked it The Unbound better the The Archived. Though I could’ve done without the cheesy love story at the end...

Wouldn’t call this my favorite Schwab work, but I liked it better than Monsters of Verity.
Laura (crofteereader)
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by VE Schwab that I've read that I didn't get bored reading. Unlike in Shades of Magic and Villains, there is no point in which the plot stops or we follow a character who isn't doing anything (I never thought I'd really appreciate first person narrators but in this case I do).

Mackenzie Bishop has an interesting and slightly unbelievable life: she works for a mysterious supernatural organization called The Archive, wrangling Histories (kind of like ghosts but not) that
Angelique Simonsen
The best Y/A fantasy I have read all year!! So believable and the storyline was fascinating. I kinda ate this book up lol
Hannah
The Archived - 4 stars
The Unbound - 4.5 stars

What can I say? I simply love Schwabs writing style.
This story was unexpected and original. I loved the characters - especially Wes and Mac have won my heart. They’re just so pure and ugh I just wanna hug them.
At the first half of the first book I struggled to fully get into the story. This quickly changed as soon as I understood the world and their characters and it then turned into a lot of fun.
I only had some minor issues throughout the series,
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
The Archived
I have to admit, I found this a little confusing at first. It took me nearly 60 pages to get certain characters straight in my head. However, I was certainly intrigued! The story was quite sad and a lot darker than I expected, with lots of tugging on the heartstrings.

Mackenzie was a likeable protagonist (though sometimes I was unsure of her exact age). And Wesley was certainly book boyfriend material. One of my favourite characters, though, was Roland. He was a precious Hufflepuff
Kelly
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full RTC.

The Archived- 4.5 stars.
The Unbound- 4 stars. Also, the extra short story from Wes's POV was really sweet. :)
Overall rating- 4.25 stars.
Do
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3,5 stars!
Romana
If had read this series a few years ago, before reading everything else Victoria has written, I'd probably have rated it higher. But it's very clearly one of her earlier works. It's still good and I loved the concept and the mystery. But the writing and the characters are not up to her usual standard. Not bad by any means, but they can't really compare.

Full review
Steff
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Archive, the dead rest on the shelves like books. Sometimes they wake up and it is Mackenzie Bishop’s job to return the Histories before they slip into madness. As a strange boy appears in Mackenzie’s territory, the Archive is plunged into unrest and Mackenzie uncovers a murder that does not let her go...

I have set myself a challenge this year: to review every book I read. It is only appropriate that I should start with a series written by one of my favorite authors. After Shades of Magic
Paige Green
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I bought this on my own for my book club!

Book Series: The Archieved 1-2.5

Rating: 3/5

Publication Date: August 14, 2018

Genre: YA Paranormal

Recommended Age: 15+ (language, some gore, some violence, some mature scenes involving what can be seen as sex)

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Pages: 704

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.
Lorna (lornaslibrary)
It pains me to DNF V.E. Schwab, it really, really does, but if I have to read one more page of Mackenzie Bishop's dumb choices I'm going to start pulling my own hair out. I don't usually write full reviews for DNFs but since I only had 100 pages left of The Unbound I think I've read enough to form a valid opinion.

Plus
-Wesley Ayers
-The Archive itself is a really interesting concept with a lot of potential

Minus
-Mackenzie makes the stupidest life choices I've
Stacie Boren
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book from Amazon to read with my bestie @mycornerforbooksand and @popthebutterfly readalong. All opinions are my own. The Dark Vault: The Archived by Victoria Schwab. Mackenzie Bishop's family is moving into an old hotel to open a new coffee shop but the secrets she keeps may be her undoing. New friends in a new place make for a busy transition and History should just be left alone. Once you unwrap one piece the rest comes unraveling quickly. This book in the beginning was ...more
Marta
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult
I am going to say right away, I have a lot of respect for V.E.Schwab. She is an amazing Writer and she always tells us great stories (Monsters of Verity is one of my fave series ever - I swear).

However, I am always scared of her fans, so if I now say that I really disliked this book and I couldn't wait to be over, I am super worried fans are going to troll me.

I picked this book as Christmas break read, but it totally killed the vibe. The beginning completely threw me off, it was so confusing
Marie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vo
To this day, there is not one book by V.E Schwab that I did not love. She's an enchantress, I don't know how she does it ! Her books are always so unique and never disappoint, you know you're in for a treat !
This one didn't break the rule, it was fantastic and I got so attached to the characters, that it broke my heart to end the book...
A must read !
Bea Harvie
Enjoyed well enough, but didn't love it.
Mollie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ugh, so good. I love Victoria Schwab.
Ashley Timberlake
The Unbound 4 stars
Cami Go
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The unbound 4.75
I loved it loved it loved it. I loved how we see Mac develop and how Victoria tackled on trauma and despersonalization.
This was awesome. I cant say much more. Im in awe.
Nicole Phoebe
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I‘m so happy that this series gets another edition! I love it soo much, 10/10 do recommend!!
Runalong
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this is fantastic - two novels within one volume

Full review https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Ran
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
• There were quite a lot of printing errors in this version as in a unnecessary use of a hyphen
• Page 9: Two people mill by a front window, seemingly oblivious to the haze of dust they’re standing in.
?? Who are these people? Are they Histories or living humans? And, if they are humans, why don’t they say hello to Mackenzie and her parents? They are not mentioned again and this seems to be a random sentence. Pagefilling maybe?
• Ms. Angelli. Her behavior is strange, she’s suspicious of Mackenzie
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince
  • The Archived
  • The Steel Prince #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • The Steel Prince #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Steel Prince #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Orphanage of Gods
  • Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
“Waiting for something to start is always worse than when it does.” 0 likes