Start by marking “Part of Your World (Twisted Tales, #5)” as Want to Read:
Part of Your World (Twisted Tales, #5)

Part of Your World

(Twisted Tales #5)

What if Ariel had never defeated Ursula? Five years after the (twisted) events of the film, Ariel is now the queen of Atlantica, and Ursula is running Eric's kingdom on land. But when the sea witch threatens Atlantica once more, Ariel finds herself returning to a world (and a prince) she thought she'd left behind forever.
Published September 4th 2018 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Part of Your World, please sign up.
Michelle I saw it as a gift to the girl who thought she was always forgotten. It sounds like Vareet was with Ursula/Vanessa from the very beginning, forced to…moreI saw it as a gift to the girl who thought she was always forgotten. It sounds like Vareet was with Ursula/Vanessa from the very beginning, forced to endure the abuse for the last five years; that can do a number on one's self esteem. Now, everyone has their happily ever after, but she goes back to being somewhat alone: Eric and Ariel are lost in each other, so despite all Vareet did for them, she's alone; Jona comes to visit and sit with her, but they really can't communicate. The whelk shell with the sounds of a mermaid inside are meant to acknowledge her, and let her know they will never forget what Vareet did to help with their "happily ever afters."(less)
brooke It really depends how you want to see and feel towards her. If you want a backstory or to feel sympathetic for her I would suggest reading “The Sea…moreIt really depends how you want to see and feel towards her. If you want a backstory or to feel sympathetic for her I would suggest reading “The Sea Witch” which is amazing. But if you truly want her as she is in the disney movie I think this is a fabulous interpretation. she is very manipulative and deliciously evil in this story. I think if you’re seeking for Ursula and her defeat this is definitely the book for you!(less)

megs_bookrack
**2.5-stars**

Well, that was a book.

I wasn't crazy about this one, guys.
I just never felt connected to it.

It's possibly my fault. I finished the lastest edition to the Twisted Tales line-up, Mirror, Mirror, last month and really enjoyed it. Compared to that one, which does have a new author to the series, this one felt very flat and forced.

The format of this one worked against it, IMO. The other books I have read in this series follow the events of the Disney movies fairly closely in the beginn
Tucker
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, owned-physical

I have not seen The Little Mermaid. Partly because I wasn't alive when it was in theaters. Mainly, because my parents didn't want me seeing it for two reasons. 1) Ariel was sassy and disobeyed her parent(s). They didn't want me getting any ideas. (That plan backfired on them horribly.) 2) They deemed Ariel's outfit too inappropriate. At five, I didn't really care because I had no idea what it was. (I also didn't know there was still slavery, what the internet was, etc).

Somehow, I managed to se
Kat
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-1
I’ve been all about the mermaids lately! Can’t get enough of variations on this great fairy tale. In this “Little Mermaid” retelling, author Liz Braswell sticks to the Disney movie version of events with one exception—rather than Ariel defeating the Sea Witch at the end, Ursula wins, Ariel is turned back into a mermaid only because Tritan sacrifices himself for her, and now Ursula rule the human kingdom as a cruel princess. Awesome, right? I liked the way the author kept true to the Disney tradi ...more
Jennie Damron
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
So I liked this book, but I didn't love it. Now the Little Mermaid is one of my favorite princesses. I adore her. The movie was incredible and magical. This book was good, but it was missing heart and that spark of magic. I don't know it just fell flat with me. I loved Ariel and Eric but parts just felt so incredibly cheesy. At least with the movie the cheesy factor is charming this was just ridiculous. And Ursula is my favorite villain, but in this book she wasn't anywhere near as awesome as th ...more
Jenn
I'm sorry to all the Little Mermaid fans who read this. This was absolutely dreadful. And honestly, it's my fault. I've pretty much hated everything Braswell has written for this series yet I keep coming back to see if maybe it gets better.

It doesn't.

So that's on me. And I'm pretty sure I'm done.

Also, if you're going to write this type of book, maybe rewatch the film you're basing this on because based on this book, I'm convinced you've never actually seen the movie.

Anyway, this work of Disney
Alaina
A RETELLING ABOUT THE LITTLE MERMAID?? SIGN ME TF UP!

Not gonna lie, Ursula slays guys. Well, until she died in the movie.. but that's "details" for another time. Even before diving into this book, I've been wanting to dive back into Disney movies. However, after diving into this.. I was kind of hoping that it was going to be a bit better than it was. I mean, I liked it.. but I didn't really love the book.

Ursula is such a freaking good villain. Pretty sure I realized this when I was little girl
Kat Royale
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney
This is the first of Disney's Twisted Tales I've read and I'll be seeking out the others as soon as I have the munz. Even if you skipped Liz Braswell's heartfelt introduction to the novel (it's really sweet, seriously read it) you can tell she's a serious fan of The Little Mermaid. She captures everyone's favorite redheaded mermaid to a tea and gives some much needed depth to the character of Prince Eric. Best of all, since this is an alternative ending to the original tale, there is plenty of U ...more
Kiana Cook
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one particularly attached to "The Little Mermaid"
As a Disney junkie and retellings fanatic, the “Twisted Tale” series has been on my radar for a while, but the terrible premises, poor reviews, and previous bad experience with Disney YA cautioned me to stay the hell away. I’ve already been burned by Serena Valentino’s villain stories, and had no desire to read more Disney publications that at worst slaughtered the source material and at best fell short of it.

But Part of Your World finally made me cave. Not because I thought it would be good. O
Kaitlin
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Did you ever read something and think, “This is the biggest load of garbage I’ve ever had the misfortune to read?”
Sam
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
And they lived happily ever after.

4/5. Will definitely look out for other Liz Braswell retellings.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from a blogger friend in a fair trade. My review is completely honest and voluntary; I was in no way compensated for this review.

Liz Braswell has done it again! She’s taken a favorite Disney movie of mine and gave it a nice good twist to see what could’ve happened had things gone wrong in The Little Mermaid. In Part of Your World, we learn how things would’ve been had Ursula won and Ariel lost everything. What’s so fun with these stories is how much could’ve changed with one
Nasty Lady MJ
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
To see review with gifs click here.

Liz Braswell is far batting 2-0 for me in her Twisted Tale series (otherwise known as Disney sanctioned fan fiction). To the point, where I was at the point of not even bothering with these books anymore. Because they’re all sort of pathetic.

Only thing is, I really was obsessed with The Little Mermaid when I was a kid and as I grew up I couldn’t help but realize how stupid and incredibly lucky Ariel was. This premises sort of was like my ideal fan fiction BUT L
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
I don’t know why I keep trying with this series.
Jaye Berry
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, audiobook
Okay... so. After I read and hated A Whole New World - A Twisted Tale, I figured I could give this series another shot. Because they aren't related to each other I also figured I could jump into this Little Mermaid one, which is a movie I love so much more than Aladdin so maybe I would like this twisted tales more, right??? Wrong. Oh man. If the Aladdin one was bad, this was even worse.

Part of Your World didn't even start like the Aladdin one did which was the first 25% of the book being all lin
TJ
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a huuuuuge Little Mermaid fan, so I HAD to read this one! It’s the first Twisted Tale book that sounded interesting to me, so it’s also the first I’ve read. It was definitely a slowly paced story, but it was a very quick read. There were three or four memorable scenes, and it was great to revisit the world and characters. That said, casual fans probably won’t be as into this one, and I wasn’t too keen on the writing style itself. I loved the overall plot and Ariel’s depiction, but there were ...more
Fifi
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, disney
This was definitely one of the weakest in the series. I get that it’s supposed to be a spin-off so there’s gonna be some level of suspension of disbelief, but this was like reading a whole new character. 5 years later or not, Ariel is NOTHING like this nor do I think she’ll ever be anything like the way she was written in this. The author basically invented her own version of Ariel who’s nothing like the dreamy, impulsive mermaid we know. This isn’t the Ariel we know and love, and honestly, I di ...more
D.J.
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
You might as well give these characters different names because they're nothing like the characters we all know and love from the film. With an odd inclusion of Greek mythology along with awful dialogue and a slow plot, this was a major disappointment.
Rebecca Akins
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This wasn’t good. The writing wasn’t up to parr. And the story lacked maturity that is expected in YA novels.
Bean
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little mermaid has always been one of my favorites. I liked the story in this though the dialogue can be a bit cheesy.
Gabi Eisenberg
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was way better than I expected!! I thought it would be middle grade because of the plot, but it was definitely YA and I absolutely loved the twist on the traditional little mermaid story.
Natalie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Cortney Walton
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first Twisted Tale. I’m a huge fan of fairy tales and anything Disney. I felt this was a solid book. It was definitely interesting. I just felt it was a little long, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Kait
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF around 200 pages. I hate giving up on books, but this one is basically overstuffed AU fan fiction and it doesn't work for me on any level.
The Basic Bookworm
I'm going to be 100% honest: I went into this book with really low expectations, especially after reading Once Upon A Dream. Having finally finished this novel, I should say that I have mixed feelings about it. In my opinion, it was better than Once Upon A Dream, but I still had issues with it. Let's get into this review.

We'll start with the flaws, and Lord knows there were a few! The writing was the BIGGEST issue for me. I was hoping it had improved since the last one I read but it hadn't. Arie
Kyle
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lives up to the premise, and then some

An alt-reality sequel to The Little Mermaid in which Ursula wins, and Ariel is forced to grow from a naive princess into a strong and mature queen without her happy ending. The book not only meets expectations, it surpasses them. All the characters from the film get additional layers, but the qualities which made fans love them are not sacrificed. The shortcomings of the movie are addressed by giving both Ariel and Eric equally strong roles to play in a far
Bailey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Twisted Tales book is a twist on the classic Disney film, "The Little Mermaid". The book is based on the question, "What if Ariel never defeated Ursula?". After watching the movies, most people, including me, wonder what would it be like if the villain had won, if they hadn't been defeated. The author, Liz Braswell, does an exceptional job of telling the story of what would happen if Ursula had won. The story starts a few years after the final battle that we see in movies and books between ...more
Sara Eames
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good "twisted tale" from the pen of Liz Braswell. This one imagines what could have happened if Ariel had never defeated Ursula. The characters are well written and the plot moves at a steady pace (although it does occasionally get slightly bogged down with extra detail). I also, at times, found Eric a bit slow on the uptake and somewhat annoying. All-in-all, however, this is still a good read.
Laura Mauro
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
* I got this book for the publisher for my honest thoughts, I also give it 3.5 stars for my review*

I really enjoyed this twisted tale. I loved the premise of this book. It was super fun and interesting to be in all the characters heads throughout this novel. It def made me understand all these characters and see them more as 3D character. I thought Ariel the character had such a unique arc in this novel and it def let it open for a sequel. I just found this be a super fun read and hope to read m
Kayla Kushner
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Little Mermaid obsessed... the little girl in me to the grown up me appreciated this book and I’m not afraid to admit it. Reading it my brain went from Animation to real life and back as I went through this journey with Ariel.
Gabby
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My only complaint I ever have about any of these books is that I want another in that series. They always leave me with a question that I can't answer. Another hit in this series, though I have to say I was expecting Ursula to be a bit more intimidating, she did give me nightmares as a kid. And the evolution of Ariel and Eric's relationship made me happy.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5

• Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales, #6)
  • Reflection (Twisted Tales, #4)
  • Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch
  • Twin Roses (Beau Rivage, #1.6)
  • The Flight of Swans
  • The Sea Witch  (The Era of Villains, #1)
  • The Little Mermaid (Faerie Tale Collection, #11)
  • Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker
  • Escape from the Isle of the Lost (Isle of the Lost #4)
  • The Navigator's Touch (The Seafarer's Kiss, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Library: A Collection of Literary Quotes and Inspirational Musings
  • Once Upon a Beanstalk
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Untitled (Untitled, #1)
  • Pretty in Pearls (Fins, #3.1)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths & Legends, Volume 2
  • Aurora Abroad
  • Happy Valentine's Slay (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10.5)
After the sort of introverted childhood you would expect from a writer, Liz earned a degree in Egyptology at Brown University and then promptly spent the next ten years producing video games. Finally she caved into fate and wrote Snow and Rx under the name Tracy Lynn, followed by The Nine Lives of Chloe King series under her real name, because by then the assassins hunting her were all dead. She a ...more

Twisted Tales (8 books)
  • A Whole New World (Twisted Tales, #1)
  • Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales, #2)
  • As Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3)
  • Reflection (Twisted Tales, #4)
  • Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales, #6)
  • Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)
  • Straight On Till Morning (Twisted Tales #8)
“She sang.
Wordless hymns of the sea: immediate, extemporized passages about waves and sunlight and tides and the constant, beautiful pressure of water on everything. The glory of seaweed slowly swaying, the delicious feeling that foretold a storm in the Dry World and turbulence below.
The music came out of her without pause, driven by years of observing, seeing, listening, enjoying, experiencing the world and unable to express it. The wonder and sadness of being alive. The joy of being a mermaid; the pain of being the only one like herself- the only mermaid who had been mortal, temporarily, and then lost everything.”
2 likes
“Then she bit into the pie.
It was all those tastes she remembered from before. Fatty, doughy flour crust. Cheese. Spices and flavors that spoke of foreign Dry World places. And, she supposed, the overwhelming taste of onion. Green, and not unlike certain seaweeds. But stronger.
The baker just watched her as she chewed and enjoyed.
Ariel stopped. Didn't people eat the things they paid for?
She looked around and saw that no one else was gulping down their treats immediately. There went the old Ariel again. Impulsive.”
2 likes