Start by marking “Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)

Shadow and Ice

(Gods of War #1)

Knox of Iviland, the most ruthless warrior in All War history, has spent his life fighting others to the death, winning new realms for his king. Now the stakes are higher than ever. If he prevails in the battle for Earth, his slave bands will be removed. Victory is his sole focus…until he meets her.

On an arctic getaway with her foster sister, street tough but vulnerable Va
Mass Market Paperback, 490 pages
Published October 23rd 2018 by HQN

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
DNF at 55%

Le. Sigh.

This is a first. I adore all things Gena Showalter and have loved practically her entire backlist. I was so excited for a brand new series from the PNR queen. And while I'm curious enough about this series to want to read the next books, I couldn't connect with this one for the life of me.

If Thor, Hunger Games, and Vikings had an extremely confused baby, this book would be it. There's so much that's happening here, that I still couldn't wrap my mind around anything halfway thr
Kat Valentine
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love this new series from gena showalter. In her Gods of War we have both male and female warriors who fight in the All War and it's a fight to the death. I love the sci-fi feel to this,it's new compared to gena's usually paranormal feel. The world building is very good too . Their are many warrior's with a little backstory to each to get us interested and I like that,I'm all about wanting to know all the players!! I didn't like Knox at first,but as he told his story I fell in love with ...more
Kat Valentine
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
DNF - NO RATING

What an information dump and so confusing at that. The world building was out of control,and details were hazy. I couldn't get a grasp on the universe at all. There was a lot of death and sex, the relationship between hero and heroine not organic. This was unexpectedly disappointing.
◊♦ Naomi
Being a long time reader of Gena and a big fan of her Lords of the Underworld series, I was looking forward to read Shadow and Ice, the first book in Showalter's brand new paranormal series, Gods of War.

Gena ventured into something a little different and she rocked it. While still being a paranormal book, Shadow and Ice is not like her other series at all. Think hardcore Hunger Games with blood thirsty immortals from different planets, killing each other to conquer Earth. This book was freaking
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
Meeeeeeeh. The world seemed kind of haphazardly thrown together and the rules were all over the place. 'We're vikings! No wait, futuristic space vikings! Just kidding, this is actually 1300 years in the past.' It was an attempt at a different take on lore/mythos that already exists by creating Vikings who travel using bifrost and fight in an All War to gain control of Midgard, so sounds a little Thor/Avengers-esque yes?

Sorry, don't get excited. Vikings is actually a general term to mean 'not na
Beth
Showalter masterfully made a world come alive with words. Her writing translated into something utterly visual.

This story is completely original and not a concept that I've come across before.

That being said, Shadow and Ice really wasn't my normal cup of tea. It is very dark, it is very bloody and it has an abundance of sex. And yet, something kept me wanting to read on. Kind of like knowing something bad is coming but you just can't look away... you cringe and think you are going to look away
Sophia Triad
Wow..I am drooling now...
Kate's Corner
I think this is my first DNF of 2018. Not too shabby if I do say so.
DNF @ 24 % because reasons.

Amanda
Nov 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
What even is this? I can’t believe I had to DNF a Gena Showalter book. I’ve been a Showalter fan for about 10 years now and the thought of me ever wanting to DNF any of her books is ridiculous to me. However, Shadow and Ice is such a dumpster fire of epic proportions and I cannot feasibly believe it’s going to get any better if I continue on. I’ll explain…

The basic premise goes like this: There’s this girl, Vale, and she's wandering around the Arctic Circle with her sister who’s addicted to opio
Rachel Annie
This one wavered anywhere from not quite a three to a low four. There were things I really liked and others I just didn't. I was going to put it on my Cotton Candy Reads Shelf for the sheer PNR-goodness factor, but there's so much going on in this book I don't think it's fair to describe it as "light and fluffy".

I simply LOVED the concept, but it was some of the stylistic choices that didn't work for me. Specifically, the heroine's voice. At first I thought her internal narrative tics were a bit
Stacie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3+ "All War" Stars!

This was on the plus side of ok for me. It was, The Hunger Games, the Immortals Edition with a "must learn to trust another" romance and a lot more sexy times.

I know a lot of PNR lovers are going to like this a lot. There is a lot of fighting action, a big cast of varying species with various paranormal abilities/ weapons. There is potential for the series. It seems the overall series arc will be ongoing; with a conclusion for each couple. I personally never got very vested
Deborah Obida
The worst by Gena Showalter in my opinion. It hurts to say it. The worst by Gena Showalter in my opinion. It hurts to say it. But I won't lie to myself, I hated this book.

I've read 13 books by this author all in the same series, so when I found out about this series I was so excited, but I was beyond disappointed after reading this.

This book is like a bad combination of the hunger games, lords of the underworld and all cringy romance, do not even get me started on the writing, what was that.

The
melissafandomworld
I've had to ponder a bit about how to best go about writing down this review.

It's so hard to put a book into words that had you feeling so many contradictory feelings. You don't want to let down the author, knowing they all put their heart into their work. But you also want to be honest. It's tough finding the right words to talk about of which you don't only have positive things to say, you know? Let's give it a go!

- I have to be honest here and say that overall, the story line is quite predic
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
DNF

I’m so sad :( I had high expectations for this one and even though I find it interesting I couldn’t feel connected a lot and it took me a lot to read the half and then I couldn’t continue! Hope the next is much better!

description

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

There’s a new PNR series in town and it’s a hot one by Gena Showalter! If you’re like me and have been reading books when PNR was a hot topic, then you’ve probably noticed that good PNR series are rare these days. That was why I was very excited to see Gena Showalter coming out with a new PNR series.

The concept of this series is unique. It has a bit of an IAD feel to it because it involves these war gods competing against each other. So you can expect a lot of alpha males and females duking it
Julia's Book Haven
I absolutely loved this one!! It’s been a long time since I’ve been so excited for a new series. I can’t wait for the next book. Highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a good PNR/Fantasy book.
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Shadow and Ice was a book I was SUPER stoked to read. After listening to an interview with Gena Showalter about this upcoming series, I just was really eager to grab this up. So I jumped over to B&N and bought this one in print. I did have this on my nightstand for quite a while before actually grabbing it up. I think I was really NERVOUS, because of how many mixed reviews of this book that there is out there and I just was not wanting
Somia
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This new series by Showalter has started overall wonderfully, I was absorbed from the get go, finding it very difficult to put the book down until I had finished. In this book we get some good worldbuilding by Showalter and secondary characters with interesting backstories – I can see each of them having their own book.

This book is in some ways darker and bloodier than the authors previous work, but it overall works. Bad boy warrior/immortal Knox and sassy strong human Vale were well rounded cha
Zoe
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fierce, seductive, and savagely action packed!

Shadow and Ice is a riveting, at times shocking tale that introduces us to Vale London and her sister, Nola, two young women stranded in the Arctic who inadvertently stumble upon warriors from the fight-until-death, All War battle who have been frozen for 1,400 years, until now.

The prose is intense and intricate. The characters are unique, remorseless, and scarred. And the plot is an imaginative, compelling tale of supernatural abilities, magnificent
Under the Covers Book Blog
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it

The concept of this series is unique. It has a
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Apr 11, 2018 marked it as çıksada-okusam  ·  review of another edition
Expected publication: October 23rd 2018

Bu kitabı eklemeyi unutmak ne demek ya!
TheEuphoricZat
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF !!!!
Ashley Gallegos
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The publisher gave me this book in exchange for an honest review and I’m honestly going to use it for kindling in my fire this winter. Not joking. I never DNF a book this is a major DNF. Who the heck edited this? Why would you write this? It’s the worst book I’ve ever attempted to read.

Let’s start with the prologue. It made ZERO sense. And when we talked about the planets(?) or lands(?) or whatever these guys came from, it was like the author literally just slammed down on the keyboard and was l
 Reading In Pajamas
✦Blog Tour, Review & Excerpt: SHADOW AND ICE (Gods of War) by Gena Showalter https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-aV3
Publication Date: October 23, 2018
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Cori
Rated: 5 Stars

I am so excited about this new series! I’m obsessed with Gena Showalter’s new world of immortals after devouring SHADOW AND ICE. I fell in love with Knox and was cheering for Val. Gena Showalter always creates such great female characters. I want stories for all the characters now. It
Beneath The Covers Blog
Full review can be found HERE --> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

*ARC provided for a voluntary honest review.* ~Sonal
Caitlin Audet
It's been quite a while since I read a Gena Showalter book and even longer that I have dipped back into the paranormal genre. When I first heard about Shadow and Ice I was completely intrigued, especially knowing this was a start of a new series. Such a unique storyline with immortal beings, an all out bloody war to the death, and a love so wrong you know it's just right.

When new realms are discovered a warrior is chosen to fight in the All War to win that land for their own people to rule. Shad
Bookgasms Book Blog
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ratula
I loveeeeeed Shadow and Ice as it was an amazing start to the Gods of War series. I don't even know how to describe it other than being an epic story filled with romance, adventure and adrenaline rushes galore. Think the Hunger Games but so much better. I loved Knox and Vale as they were sexy, strong and fantastic together. I loved their chemistry and how they were strong and independent on their own but together formed an amazing partnership.

Without giving away any spoilers, Valerina "Vale" Lo

I really enjoyed Gena Showalter's YA White Rabbit Chronicles series but it's been a long time since I've read any of her adult books. As a HUGE paranormal romance fan I had high expectations for Shadow and Ice though and was really looking forward to starting this new series. I hate to say it but unfortunately I ended up feeling a little disappointed, this wasn't the worst series opener I've ever read but it definitely didn't wow me and to be honest I'm not sure if I have any interest i
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: https://romancingthereaders.blogspot....

I totally love Gena Showalter's writing so when I saw that she was starting a new series I knew I had to jump on it. How could I not try a book where the men and women from different worlds fighting a war in our world!

Doesn't it sound like a great idea? I thought so which is why I had to read it.

The story starts out very well. You find yourself wanting to know more and more. Who are these people and why are they d
  • The Cecilian Swan (Silent Swans #1)
  • Munro (Immortals After Dark, #19)
  • Dining with Angels: Bits & Bites from the Demonica Universe(Demonica Underworld #7; Demonica #18)
  • Ten Thousand Lies (Ten Thousand, #2)
  • Unlovable (The Case Files of Dr. Matilda Schmidt, Paranormal Psychologist, #1)
  • Incandescent
  • Lionheart (Moonshadow, #3)
  • Between a Highlander and a Hard Place (Highland Weddings, #5)
  • 'Til Fear Do Us Part (A Grim Awakening, #1)
  • The Highlander Who Loved Me (The McKennas, #1)
  • Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland, #1)
  • Hitman Wedding (Bad Boy Inc., #4)
  • The Wrong Highlander (Highland Brides, #7)
  • Toxic Game (GhostWalkers, #15)
  • Born of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #1)
  • Soul Kissed (Shadow Kissed, #2)
  • For Adriano (Chicago Syndicate, #3)
  • Damned  (The Pirate, #1)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl

Gods of War (2 books)
  • Frost and Flame (Gods of War, #2)
“I’m living my happily-ever-after already,” he replied, and she smiled. “In shadow, you are my light.” With their foreheads pressed together, she responded in kind. “In ice, you are my warmth.” “In life and in death, your love guides me home.” He kissed her. “In war, you are my prize. In darkness, you are my sun.” 0 likes
“There is only one thing you need to know about me," he finally said. "I will protect you as long as you are necessary, and as long as you do not seek my downfall."
- Knox”