Start by marking “The Secret Language of Cats: How to Understand Your Cat for a Better, Happier Relationship” as Want to Read:

Have you ever wondered what your cat is saying?

Cats do not meow randomly, nor do they growl or hiss because they have nothing better to do. Cat sounds have a purpose, and they can carry important messages, whether for us or other cats.

Susanne Schötz is hard at work on breaking the cat code. She is a professor at Lund University in Sweden, where a long-standing research pr
Published November 6th 2018 by Hanover Square Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Language of Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Language of Cats

Cat
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and informative book! I was kind of hoping there was a chapter on cats who actually say human words in context! Mine calls me "ma" or "mami"(he was a kitten in a Spanish speaking neighborhood, so I assume he's heard some Spanish!), he says "Yeah!" very enthusiastically when you ask him if he wants something , and his ever popular "HELP!!" when getting a bath- even pronounces the "P"! He's a polyglot in Cat, English, Spanish, German, and a bit of Italian and French. Ah, well, I love cats and ...more
Janice Lombardo
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant use of language and phonetics to describe cat sounds. I have had the pleasure of living with cats for most of my adult years. I have heard MANY sounds and agree with the author on what they mean. Now, Dusty, Bernadette and Holly grace me with their voices, antics and love. This book, while intense, is a 5 star winner for all cat fanciers!
Literary Soirée
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author breaks the kitty communication code for the millions of us who live happily with feline companions. Now, we know precisely why our cats meow or growl or hiss or trill. A compelling and instructive read.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin - Trade Publishing (U.S. & Canada) for the early read. Opinions are fully mine.

#TheSecretLanguageOfCats #NetGalley
Harlequin Books
Categories
Nature, Cats
David
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book free through a Goodreads giveaway.

I requested this book because we have had 2 or more cats in the house for almost 30 years and I felt it would be interesting to learn more about the way they communicate. Our current cats, Angelo and Sandstorm, both "talk" frequently and very differently. This book improved my understanding of the vocalizations and prepared me to pay more attention to not only the sound, but the visual communication as well. Although written by a phonetician
Hildegart
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a fun look at how cats communicate (with each other and with humans). It was fun comparing sounds to those that my cat makes. It also made me more conscious about how I interact with my cat (watching for his reaction and response).

The copy I received from a goodreads giveaway was an uncorrected proof.
Tammy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book free through the Goodreads giveaway. My son really enjoyed this book. He now feels like he knows his cat better. Thanks
Rebecca F. (Nightengale)
Shelves: 2018-new
SM
Karen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book spoke to my nerdy side along with my cat loving soul. While the text may prove a bit dry for some, I found it interesting to read about all the research that went into this book, especially with my most recent adoption of a cat with more vocal range of chirps, squeaks grunts and meows than any other I've ever lived with. Not only does the author cover the range of vocalizations, but I also enjoyed the stories about her own cats. I don't think this book is a perfect fit for everyone, bu ...more
penny shima glanz
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drawing upon her phonetician toolbox, in The Secret Language of Cats, Schötz explores and explains her scientific analysis of the noises her favoured felines make. Are these sounds considered language? Can we develop a sound-based dictionary and grammar to help derive meaning for what a cat may be attempting to convey? The answers to these questions and more are found inside the delightful read.

I enjoyed Dr Schötz's ingenuity combining her academic research with her other interests. Her dedicat
Stephanie Beck
Dec 26, 2018
Ali
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is really fascinating. The idea of analyzing cat speech with phonetics is so interesting. Reading about the difference in tone and inflection, I’m really noticing the correlation with my own cats’ behavior. I also really love that links to the recordings the author used are available so you can really hear the things she discusses. I don’t know that the book has changed my communication with my own kitties, but it has certainly given me food for thought!
Dec 27, 2018
Kristine
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
The Secret Language of Cats by Susanne Schotz is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early November.

Schotz is very elaborative about her relationship with her 5 cats and, oftentimes, the conversations they share with her. Reading this book is quite a lot like speaking with my catlady coworker, who dresses up her cats for holidays and speaks of them as members of the family with their own rich inner history. Not to say that I don’t love my own two cats dearly and am endeared by their quirks, bu
Alex
Nov 01, 2018
Janet
rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2018
Steve Suzana
Nov 15, 2018
Stephanie Rowsey
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Net Galley for a free eARC in exchange for an honest review. Initially, I did not know what to expect from this book. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the author leverages her knowledge as a phonetician to decipher cat language. I was truly fascinated with the book. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a scientific approach to how and why their cat acts/ talks and not just anecdotally.
Bookclubbish
Categories
Nature, Cats
Carol Custer
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and well-researched book though perhaps a bit more serious than many would expect from the title. Schotz really DOES try to decipher the secret language of cats. Alas, my cat is aggravatingly silent though he definitely has his way of communicating with me without sounds. I guess that's his own 'secret language'.
Gina
Nov 22, 2018
Hillary Slawson
Jan 22, 2019
Marie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have three cats and of course I want to know what they are saying. The author is a phonetician which is a study of the sounds of human language. She has applied this study to cats and what their sounds mean. Whether the cat is meowing for food, pain or to say hello. Different cat sounds like chirping, moaning and chattering are only a small amount of vocalizations that cats can produce.. I really enjoyed reading this book and maybe I can find out what my cats are saying. I received this book f ...more
Cori Nichols
Nov 26, 2018
Melissa Cheresnick
Jan 05, 2019
  • Strays: A Lost Cat, a Homeless Man, and Their Journey Across America
  • Life on Mars: What to Know Before We Go
  • The Ring Of Bright Water Trilogy (Ring of Bright Water, #1-3)
  • Einstein's Monsters: The Life and Times of Black Holes
  • Notes from a Dog Rescue in Progress
  • My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines
  • How to Speak Cat: A Guide to Decoding Cat Language
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
  • Dinosaurs Without Bones: Dinosaur Lives Revealed by their Trace Fossils
  • Curiosity: The Story of a Mars Rover
  • Dog Whisperer
  • Catify to Satisfy
  • Twice Told Tail (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Adventures of a Female Medical Detective: In Pursuit of Smallpox and AIDS
  • Quantum Physics for Poets
  • The Incurable Romantic and Other Tales of Madness and Desire
  • Don't Call Me Cupcake (The Holloway Girls, #1)
  • Rescued: What Second-Chance Dogs Teach Us about Living with Purpose, Loving with Abandon, and Finding Joy in the Little Things