Start by marking “Jump” as Want to Read:
Jump

Jump

A funny story with charming illustrations--about friendship, animals, and jumping!--simple enough for the youngest readers to read on their own. Guided Reading Level A.

I can jump. She can jump.

A bug, a cow (over the moon, of course) . . . even a hippo can jump.

Kids and animals leap into the air in this sweet, simple book by beloved children's author-illustr
Published July 17th 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump

Start your review of Jump
KC
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beginner book about jumping
Teresa Bateman
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Three or four word sentences are found on each double-page spread. Each sentence talks about jumping. "I can jump." "We can jump." "A hippo can jump." Happy pastel illustrations show a lot of jumping. Is this inspired writing that will live on in memory? No. However, it IS a level A guided reading book. One of the biggest complaints primary teachers have is that there are few library books for their very very very beginning readers. This, and other books in the series, may lack inspiration but t ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jump by David McPhail PICTURE BOOK Holiday House, 2018. $15. 823438899

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE K -, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Who can jump? I can, she can, we can! Rabbits and hippos and a bug and a cow. You can jump too! David McPhail has made a wonderful beginning reader!

The pictures are perfect, the text is simple and predictable - I love everything about this picture book.

Lisa Librarian
Barbara
There might be nothing more pleasurable for youngsters than learning how to jump in the air. Two youngsters and various farm animals and exotic species, some of them quite unexpected, jump for joy in this slim volume perfect for helping youngsters practice their reading skills and gain confidence in reading. The illustrations, created with pen and ink and watercolor, are delicate yet humorous. I'm thinking that just about anyone who reads this book will fill the urge to get up and JUMP!
Pat
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This introductory reader has three or four word sentences on a page with a colorful drawing illustrating the sentence on the opposite page. All of the pictures show children or animals jumping. Young children will be able to figure out the words easily after the book has been read to them a few times. (I can jump. She can jump. We can jump. A bug can jump.)
Alicia Evans
I read this in preparation for my Music and Movement storytime this week, but I decided not to use it. The book was cute and simple, but I have found other books that are more engaging on this topic.

For: young readers looking for a short book featuring movement.

Red flags: some may consider this too simple--readers may move on quickly.
Jillian
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Very, VERY simple. This book is intended for the earliest of readers, and so it's very repetitive. The illustrations are charming, and it's kind of fun to see what bigger and better creature will jump onto the scene next.
Lori
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute book for story hour!
No plot or storyline, but lots of "I can jump." and "You can jump." etc. etc. Good for baby or toddler story times.
Robin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: er
Super simple and pleasant very early reader. This publisher has my eternal gratitude for making books at this level that are pleasant and interesting. Highly recommended for very beginning readers.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this picture book. For my full review, visit http://kissthebookjr.blogspot.com
Edward Sullivan
Animals and friends jumping.
Heather
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations! Beginning reading level!
Vicki
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Early readers will enjoy this short repetitive book.
DaNae
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Yep, we all jump. Not much here to bring a reader back for a second time.
Adrienne
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My daughter's comment after reading this book: "I want to make a book just like this." She said she likes that it has animals, it's colorful, and she can read it herself.
Lisa
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very nice story. Simple. True. Nice pictures.
Charity
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
With this book, children can practice conjugating verbs (well, one verb) while enjoying sweet illustrations.
Miss Sarah
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A simple toddler and up book featuring animals and people jumping.
Ashlin Edmisten
Dec 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • See Me Run
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Waiting is Not Easy! (Elephant & Piggie, #22)
  • When Spring Comes
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Rude Cakes
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • Hide!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity (Knuffle Bunny, #2)
  • Dreamers
  • What If Everybody Understood Child Development?: Straight Talk About Bettering Education and Children's Lives
  • Pinkalicious and the Pirates
  • Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Trouble in the Tunnel (Thomas & Friends)
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more