Start by marking “Crash, Splash, or Moo!” as Want to Read:
Crash, Splash, or Moo!

Crash, Splash, or Moo!

Calling all daredevils! It's time to play CRASH, SPLASH, OR MOO!

Mr. McMonkey is your host, and your contestants are America's favorite stunt clam, Action Clam...and a cow! These unlikely daredevils face off in a sequence of challenges--and readers get to guess the outcome of all the wacky stunts. The winner gets a Golden Banana!
Published September 18th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Crash, Splash, or Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crash, Splash, or Moo!

Rebecca
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hilarious winner from Bob Shea. I need to find some kids to read this to ASAP. If you can do a game-show voice at storytime, you will be the hit of the year with this.

Includes an Action Clam holding up a flag that says "Frenetic Applause." Because, you know, clams can't actually clap.
Becky
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
First sentence: How to Play: Fearless daredevils perform amazing stunts, and YOU guess what happens. Will they crash? Will they splash? Or will they moo? Guess right, and win a delicious banana! Guess all the stunts right, and you win the best prize in the world...the secret prize!

Premise/plot: CLAM and COW are performing stunts. It's up to YOU the reader to guess if the stunt will end in a crash, end in a splash, or end in a moo. For example,

Stunt 1: If ACTION CLAM...drives this speedy race ca
MaryLibrarianOH
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grab this to read aloud to school age kids. The participatory and funny plot will keep them entertained.
Yentl ♥
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny and cute :) Moo!
Jesse
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Berry had fun with this one! An entertaining game show-style picture book with lots of shenanigans. The only drawback with this one is limited rereads without knowing the outcome.
Colleen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun!
Emily
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
good for school visits, interactive and fun
Lucy
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really great storytime potential here!
Garrett
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
I like this book because I am very good at being a game show host.
Meg
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
An absolute slam dunk of a read-aloud (thank you Bob Shea!). In a pinch for a storytime geared toward 5-to-9-year-olds, I grabbed this book based on my previous experience with Bob Shea books (fun to read aloud, arresting illustrations, a good measure of humor). This book did not disappoint!

My "co-host" (another librarian) and I made printed small photographs of bananas and laminated them to distribute throughout the book for each Stunt. At the end, there's a giant golden banana (which we made o
Katie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime, childrens
A monkey narrator gives different scenarios and asks readers to guess what will happen-will there is a crash, a splash, or a moo? No tricks here, if you would expect a crash, there is a crash, if you would expect a splash, there is one. Each time you guess correctly (and the books assumes you do) you win a banana.
If you read with great enthusiasm and have your readers actually guess what will happen, I can see children enjoy this book, and it would work well for groups. The colors are very brig
Susan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, storybook
I get what this book is trying to do, and suspect it would even work with the right audience (and no, I am not part of the target audience). But, this one is just not my cup of tea. It is too noisy and chaotic visually for me. And, now, as I would have been as a child, it bothers me that there are no real bananas, as well as the assumption that I would even want any bananas. I do not particularly like them...
Cory
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! It would make the most amazing storytime (truth be told, I sat alone in my apartment and read it a second time, aloud, just for the joy of hearing the words spoken). I'm a little jealous of all my friends who still do storytimes, as this would be so perfect. And little phrases and touches throughout killed me. Calling someone "Frankie Two Bananas?" Or "Smarty Banana Pants?"
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Mr. McMonkey is your game show host for the evening and you're the lucky participant! There will be five stunts and before each stunt you need to vote what will happen: Will it crash, splash, or moo?

The hilarious banana-obsessed monkey host, the call to participate, and the thrill of each stunt will quickly put this book into the coveted "class favorite" spot.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Patrick
A great addition to "interactive" books. As a cow and a clam compete in various stunts, readers guess whether they will crash, splash, or moo. Perfect for storytimes where you want your audience to shout out the answers. The bold colors of within the illustrations helps to make the action really pop and draws your attention as well; even those who would be in the back row.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade

The hilarious banana-obsessed monkey host, the call to participate, and the thrill of each stunt will quickly fit this book into the coveted "class favorite" spot.
Tracey
children's picture book (preschool - 2nd grade)
This is probably hilarious when read out loud (I would use a deadpan cow voice--moo) but I haven't tried it with an audience yet. Could be a great one for sharing on class visits, especially great for kinder preschool/kinder kids who are learning to raise their hands before speaking.
Peacegal
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars -- All the LOLz are on display on this kinetically fun book that is redolent of the manic, silly energy of classic Warner Bros. cartoons. This book is set up like the world's weirdest game show and just begs for interaction from young readers. If I have to buy any kiddie gifts this holiday season I know this one will be high on my list.
B.A. Wilson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This cracked me up. I like the prediction element. That makes it a good book for reading with a group. I also liked that it is an interactive book but doesn't require any kids to actually touch the book---so it would work well for an interactive book to use with a class or storytime group without it being complete chaos.
Lauren
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading it to my older storytime kids. There are a lot of opportunities built into the book for interaction between the reader and the audience, which I really like. Overall this is a superb book. I look forward to looking for ways in which to incorporate movement and activities with this book in storytime.
Krissy Neddo
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars for me. Preschoolers listening to a parent/teacher read with enthusiasm and silly voices will giggle and ask for a re-read. First few pages, exciting. Loved audience participation(raise your hand if...), but it just keeps going with same characters different stunts. Just didn't appeal to me.
Heather Erickson
Bob Shea makes me laugh. I am an Elementary school librarian, even fifth graders were laughing, raising their hands, feet and clapping. Why would you not love a read aloud that makes kids roll with laughter? No reason!
Pam
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Join the game show and make your guess - will the result be crash, splash or moo.
Use to teach about making predictions for young readers.
Humorous character take on daring stunts. Readers are the audience participants who win bananas for correct guesses.
Lynn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's time to play Crash, Splash or Moo! And the winner is...the reader! Yay! Wild clapping!

Oh Bob Shea, you've done it again. Colorful wacky silliness abounds on every page. My grandsons adore Bob Shea's books and they are going to be over the mooooon about this one.

Read in F&G
Katrina Clohessy
This is a great interactive book for storytime! The story is told in the style of a game show, and kids have to guess whether crazy stunts performed by a clam or a cow will result in a crash, a splash, or a moo. 41 pages
Bmack
This would be a great interactive story for a read-aloud. McMonkey is the host of a game show you participate in as a reader/listener. You guess if the stunt will end in a "crash", a "splash" or a "moo". It is a cute book and kids will love to guess what they think will happen.
Alisha
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it is fun, interactive, works well for many different age groups and always makes the kids laugh. Only downside is that it might lose some of it's shine after the kids know the answers.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Hooray, another fun interactive book to add to my shelf! In this book, characters do silly stunts, and you have to guess what the result will be ("crash," "splash," or "moo"). Very easy to incorporate into storytime.
Vicki
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Oh my Oh my! What a silly, crazy, funny book! This book should totally work for the elementary student (they'll get the humor).

Illustrators are fun and eye catching.

Look for the hidden cover and catch the endpapers.
Amanda
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 next »
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.