Start by marking “Estrogen Matters: Why Taking Hormones in Menopause Can Improve Women's Well-Being and Lengthen Their Lives -- Without Raising the Risk of Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:

A compelling defense of hormone replacement therapy, exposing the faulty science behind its fall from prominence and empowering women to make informed decisions about their health.

For years, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) was hailed as a miracle. Study after study showed that HRT, if initiated at the onset of menopause, could ease symptoms ranging from hot flashes to m
Published September 4th 2018 by Little, Brown Spark

To ask other readers questions about Estrogen Matters, please sign up.
Sue If you have a uterus, you must take a progestin or progesterone alongside oestrogen. If you still have periods you take the progestin for 2 weeks of e…moreIf you have a uterus, you must take a progestin or progesterone alongside oestrogen. If you still have periods you take the progestin for 2 weeks of every month. If you no longer have periods because you are menopausal, you take the progestogen every day.

It stops the proliferation of uterus lining building up, which protects against womb cancer. (less)

Start your review of Estrogen Matters: Why Taking Hormones in Menopause Can Improve Women's Well-Being and Lengthen Their Lives -- Without Raising the Risk of Breast Cancer
Ryan Stevens
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book after hearing the authors on Peter Attia's podcast. The book did a great job of continuing the conversation i heard on the show.

It appears that HRT is essential to the long term health of women and I have already started conversations with the women in my life. The book lays out in detail the shortcomings of the Women's Health Initiative study and why HRT actually works for most women.

This book is not just for women. Men also would benefit from learning about HRT so that they
Lynda
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I’d like to read some more reviews especially ones by medical professionals. The benefits of HRT presented seem to outweigh minimal risks. If the basis of this book is true, shame on the WHI doctor’s for robbing so many women of better, stronger later years.
Richard
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book for all women over the age of 40.

I read this book after hearing an interview with the authors on Dr. Peter Attia's The Drive podcast. Check that out as well, but the book is more linear in its presentation of the information.
Yycdaisy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This is an important book for women with menopausal symptoms. Takeaways are that the WHI overstated the dangers of HRT, there can be serious health consequences for women who do not use HRT, and that women could continue to take estrogen longer than the standard 10 years. Less important but good to know was the information that none of the over-the-counter solutions for menopausal symptoms do anything. It was also quite interesting to read about all the medical world arguments over this subject, ...more
Lisa Hunt
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting book - pretty much the first book I've read on the subject matter, so I have a LOT to learn. The information was presented in a straight forward, factual way, but also very readable to a non-science person like me. I also appreciated finding the hidden bits of humor along the way! It definitely gives lots of info on both sides of the debate and it thoroughly researched. I do wish there was just a definitive answer, but that is probably too much to hope for. They do lay ou ...more
Eileen Margaret
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish this book had been available ten years ago so I could have advised my mother and other beloved women in my life to not fear hormone replacement therapy. This is an important deconstruction of how medicine gets dispersed through bad science and popular media. The messsge is presented clearly and makes the issue understandable. Highly recommend for anyone approaching menopause or cares about other women in that position. Everyone can learn something.
Ekaterina  Miroshnichenko
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Started to educate myself on the women’s health matters and had lots of cross references to this book, was shocked by the data which authors presented. A must read to anyone who has loved ones coming close to menopause or is experiencing it herself.
Stephany Wilkes
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If I could, I would send a copy of this book to every woman over the age of 30, and pay her to read it. I consider it on the order of books like Good Calories, Bad Calories. As Gary Taubes thoroughly debunked decades of nutrition recommendations like carb-heavy diets and commonly held, wrong beliefs like "fat makes you fat," so Bluming and Tavris methodically examine and deflate commonly held, wrong beliefs like "Estrogen causes cancer," which it does not.

This is an important book, because it i
Patricia Burgess
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The authors, oncologist and psychologist, tackle the Women’s Health Initiative which in 2002 advised that HRT and ERT were detrimental to women, a factor in increased breast cancer, heart disease, blood clots. In fact, the study was flawed and the results highly distorted. Estrogen is critical to women’s health, maybe even more after menopause, with studies finding its efficacy in helping prevent osteoporosis, protection against dementia, important for brain health, not increased risk of breast ...more
Jess Dollar
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful information as I begin to research his topic for myself as a 45 year old. Heard the authors on Peter Attia’s podcast. I’m not sure I’ve made up my mind about bioidenticals versus traditional prescription HRT meds but I am sure some kind of hormone therapy is in my future.
Sebastian
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a competent review of the benefits and risks of hormone replacement therapy (should we just call it hormone therapy?).

The authors' conclusion is that the benefits (menopause symptoms like hot flashes and depression; cardiovascular disease risk; Alzhiemer's disease risk) far outweigh the risks (purportedly, breast cancer risk). The CVD and Alzheimer's piece only works for women who start therapy within 10 years of menopause and stay on HRT. Little utility if you start e.g. in your 60s or
Sue
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women over 35.
A good, well written and understandable look at the fear and misinformation surrounding menopause and oestrogen replacement.

The author is a expert oncologist with a lifetime of experience. He lifts the lid on how clinical trials are run and manipulated. He shows us the links to corporate connections that form bias and mislead people.

Probably the best book I've read about HRT and in particular, the vital importance of oestrogen to the body.
Joanne
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, library-book
Excellent summary of why the scare about HRT and breast cancer is unfounded. Women should know that HRT at the time of menopause can be life changing. Not only will it provide relief from menopausal symptoms, but can increase life span and protect against dementia, heart disease and osteoporosis.
Johanne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detailed analysis mostly countering the narrative of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) study claiming Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) increased the risk of getting breast cancer. I was particularly interested in the views of Bluming, an oncologist. I appreciated having so many referenced studies I could read at a later date.

I would've liked to have some information on the effects of estrogen on mood, but could not find any. Maybe in a further edition. I think it's a very important component
Christina
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very important and informative book! I read it after hearing the authors speak onPeter Attia’s ‘The Drive’ podcast. I wish all women knew about the information in this book; the health care system is doing women a disservice by not offering current HRT information, that is free of the scary data-mined statistics compiled in the 2002 WHI. I took a star away not because the book was lacking in any way, but because the information was dry and presented in a manner that was a bit inaccessi ...more
Ladonda
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by my OB/GYN. It was super informative with lots of science and facts but still very easy to read. I did get bogged down from time to time because there were so many studies and facts presented but overall it was a very helpful tool as I did personal research to determine whether or not HRT is something I should pursue for myself. I highly recommend it for anyone who is at that cross roads.
Farzana Friars
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this - especially those prior to the onset of menopause. Being proactive rather than reactive is obviously way more beneficial. If I had read this in my early forties, I would be my happier self, still be married, and more steady in my career!

I attributed majority of my symptoms to the natural aging process and bad genes. Do not make that mistake - regardless of whether you take HRT or not. It is not natural...
Patty Pacelli
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The book makes a good argument and disputes a common thinking, which I have heard from my MD. It was recommended by my naturopath. It convinced me to go back to taking hormones, but the book is fairly repetitive and a lot of the studies and statistics get boring for a non-medical professional. It needs to be in there though, to prove the points, which it does.
Terri Trujillo dunlap
The question of choosing HRT or not can be so difficult. And now I understand why...we have been given a lot of mixed messages regarding their safety. This book does a great job explaining why that happened and why they are both safe and beneficial.
Tina
Oct 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: health, 2019, cancer
This book may be an illustration of how you can find a study to prove anything or a lot of people are terribly wrong. Be sure that you do your own research and ask your doctor about important matters concerning your health.
Alison Spinney
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most enlightening and infuriating that I, along with millions of other women, were duped into stopping our HRT back in 2002-3, as a result of that bogus WHI study!!! now... I'm too old and way too many years past menopause to reap the benefits -- brains/bones/heart/SLEEP! -- of HRT.
Emma Campbell
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read as lots of study quotations to follow but definitely worth a read if interested in women’s health and want to understand more about the women’s health initiative. Certainly aided my understanding but won’t change my practice.
Chiarra Banque welsh
I'm perplexed after reading this book. Why would Women's health Initiative claimed that estrogen is carcinogenic?
Meggins Scheel
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent treatment of the subject.
Timc
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent analysis of the importance of this hormone and the impacts of faulty studies conducted in the early 2000s. I believe it is an excellent read for women of all ages.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little deep but very informative. I get the scary feeling that results can be interpreted in multiple ways to indicate the results the researcher wants to come out.
Anne
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Good information. Recommended reading for all women.
Mickie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent and important book that was recommended by an ob-gyn doc. Should be read by every female over the age of 40.
Elaine Lewis
Jun 24, 2020
Sonya
Mar 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love and Marriage at Harpers (Harpers Emporium #2)
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Harpers Emporium #3)
  • Revolution (The History of England, #4)
  • Henry VIII: The King and His Court
  • The Estrogen Window: The Breakthrough Guide to Being Healthy, Energized, and Hormonally Balanced--Through Perimenopause, Menopause, and Beyond
  • The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
  • The Full Plate: Flavor-Filled, Easy Recipes for Families with No Time and a Lot to Do
  • Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
  • Accidental Medical Discoveries: How Tenacity and Pure Dumb Luck Changed the World
  • When We Were Vikings
  • Menopause: Your Management Your Way ... Now and for the Rest of Your Life
  • The Shop Girls of Harpers (Harpers Emporium #1)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out
  • Lost