Start by marking “Catholic for a Reason II: Scripture and the Mystery of the Mother of God” as Want to Read:
Catholic for a Reason II: Scripture and the Mystery of the Mother of God

Catholic for a Reason II: Scripture and the Mystery of the Mother of God (Catholic for a Reason #2)

Catholic for a Reason II, Second Edition will introduce you more deeply to Mary, the Mother of God, as your mother. Nine well-known Catholics, including Scott and Kimberly Hahn, Jeff Cavins, Tim Gray, and Leon Suprenant-open the pages of God's family album (the Bible) to provide compelling explanations of Mary's role in salvation history and in our daily lives as Christian ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 248 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Emmaus Road Publishing (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Catholic for a Reason II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholic for a Reason II

Andrew
Jun 30, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
The most interesting aspect of this book for me was the biblical citations, particularly the places where they tied Old Testament prophesy to the new Testament regarding Mary.

The intended audience?? Probably not Protestants, as for every citation which Catholics (in particular the authors; each chapter has a different writer) point to regarding Marian dogma will be refuted with a different verse. And devout Catholics won't need justification, although it might allow some the opportunity to conte
Kristen
Jun 23, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, religious
I liked some of the essays here more than others (to the point of eyes glazing over for a couple, and deciding that life is too short). However! I have a feeling that I may give those eye-glazers another chance at some point in the future.

I hadn't read Scott Hahn before. He and his wife, Kimberly Hahn, are former evangelicals converted to Catholicism, and in the first essay in the book, Scott Hahn describes how Mary was a stumbling block for him in becoming Catholic, and how he overcame that in
James
Jun 30, 2012 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: firstreads
This book might be interesting to Protestants, our that very rare animal, the Catholic theology nerd.For me it was tedious and wordy. It was overly technical and needlessly referenced.

This book was about Mary, and answers to common misconceptions and criticisms of her in Catholic teaching. With a subject that could be so interesting and filled with such love, I was fortified to find instead the same annoying religious buzzwords and archaic speech that makes me roll my eyes at evangelicals being
Bert
Jul 12, 2012 Bert rated it it was ok
Won this off Goodreads. Raised a Baptist, and now a Catholic convert, this book, and I believe no book, will ever be able to justify the reason to pray to Mary for intercession, or raise her to the hieghts that Catholics do. The book posed great protestant questions but failed to ,ultimately, answer equally those questions with scripture and sound reason. Telling me a treatise from a Saint or what the Pope says etc.. is not sound reason to win me over to the Marian sewing circle.
Steve
Oct 31, 2009 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Of the 11 chapters in this book I would only recommend 3 or 4. If one already holds the Catholic view of Mary maybe the other 7-8 chapters will increase ones understanding of who Mary is in the grand scheme of things, but I do not think they are convincing reasons to hold the Catholic position on Mary. I read this book previously and had a similar response, but thought that now that I was looking at it from a new perspective things might have been better, but they were not.
Meg
Jun 12, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

This book had great mini-essays. Some of them were great and had engaging explanations about Marian devotion, while others seemed to stray off a bit and made me wonder why they were in a book about Mary. Overall, I think it gave a good look at why we as Catholics refer to Mary as our Mother and the Mother of God.
Mark Kuberski
Feb 11, 2013 Mark Kuberski rated it liked it
Good book great content
Erik
Dec 25, 2009 Erik marked it as to-read
Listed by Patrick Madrid in the Reading Plan of Search and Rescue in Phase 2 (Intermediate).
Malory
Malory rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2008
Scott Hostetler
Scott Hostetler rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2016
Brace1737
Brace1737 rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2017
Drew Castel
Drew Castel rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Meghan
Meghan rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2012
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Prabowo Shakti
Prabowo Shakti rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Erin
Jun 27, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
In progress...
Clara Citraningtyas
Clara Citraningtyas rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Pecoemla
Pecoemla rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Keith Abell
Keith Abell rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Indra Setiadi
Indra Setiadi rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Mary Kendall
Mary Kendall rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
Cici
Cici rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Theresa Smith
Theresa Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Jude
Jude rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Matthew Maggio
Matthew Maggio rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2017
Philip
Philip rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Joshua Johnson
Joshua Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2008
Majah Anjelah Ty
Majah Anjelah Ty rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Leon Suprenant is the former president of Catholics United for the Faith. He now works for My Catholic Faith Delivered, a comprehensive, authentically Catholic, interactive online learning center based in the Kansas City area.
More about Leon J. Suprenant Jr....

Catholic for a Reason (4 books)
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • Catholic for a Reason III:  Scripture and the Mystery of the Mass
  • Catholic for a Reason IV: Scripture and the Mystery of Marriage and Family Life