Start by marking “Ogre Enchanted” as Want to Read:
Ogre Enchanted

Ogre Enchanted

(Ella Enchanted 0.5)

Based on a traditional, little known gender-reversed version of "Beauty and the Beast."
Published October 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Ogre Enchanted, please sign up.

Zazu
This one is hard to judge because I am so attached to Ella Enchanted that I kept constantly comparing it and trying to figure out who Evie was in relation to Ella. Which may be slightly unfair, but then again, there's no way GCL didn't think that's what we were all going to do! We grew up with Ella! We love her! (And if anyone dares mention the movie, I will gut you faster than an ogre.)

We DO get some more backstory on Ella's fam, but, without spoiling anything, I can definitely say that Evie is
Jessica
Evie has a one-track mind: healing. She lives to heal people, to diagnose, to create remedies. When a friend shocks her with a proposal, though they are very young and she has never thought of him (or anyone!) romantically, she immediately refuses, to the disgust of the Fairy Lucinda. Cursed to be an ogre until someone proposes to her, Evie embarks on a series of adventures, trying to find a cure or come to terms with her new nature- because who would propose to a beast?

I loved how Evie was just
Iris
Okay Evie and Eleanor should have gotten married, I don't make the rules.

Aside from the fact that my sapphic ship didn't sail though, this book was a lot of fun! It wasn't as amazing as Ella Enchanted, but I enjoyed myself, and it made me sooo nostalgic.

***Pre-review, April 25, 2018***

A prequel to Ella Enchanted? That book practically WAS my childhood. I don't even know how many times I read it! So obviously I need this in my life.
Kate Willis
First off, I have been waiting for this book!!! I found it at the unlikeliest of libraries and immediately snatched it up to bring it home. (Look at the shiny cover. :D )

I can always count on Gail Carson Levine to write a love story I can get behind wholeheartedly. She has a message of true, respect- and friendship-based love that is so rare in fiction. And I love how her romantic characters’ personalities always complement each to make them a great team. <3 I really appreciated that about th
Jen
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, buddy-reads, bea-2018
Not to be rude, but I just can’t read this book straight through. I jumped around enough to get the picture and I’m done.

This breaks my heart, because I LOVED Ella Enchanted, but this is nothing like it at all.

Don’t let my negativity affect your enjoyment of the book. The cover is GOEGEOUS and the writing isn’t bad, it’s just not in line with what I was expecting. I think dashed expectations are what is really filling me with such unhappiness regarding this book. If no Ella Enchanted, this boo
Robin (Bridge Four)
I was afraid that Ogre Enchanted would feel a little like Shrek but it didn’t. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad one.

Evie and Wormy have been friends forever but they are at an age where maybe one of them is starting to feel a little more for the other. When Lucinda shows up and Evie doesn’t accept a proposal from Wormy she is ‘punished’ for her own good and turned into an Ogre with only two months to find someone to fall in love with her and propose.

This is difficult for Evie becaus
McKenna
Oct 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tingling.
I do not think I ever want to read the word tingling again. Probably because I kept reading it as a euphemism for hormones - which maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. But the point is, it firmly coincided with the heroine's search for love and self-discovery and whatnot.
And I'm just not down with tingling in my middle school fiction.
This book felt very middle school. And kind of pointless. And rambling. And yet on-the-nose. And...
Oh gosh, I wanted so badly to like it!
I mean, an Ella Enc
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Evie is a healer. She and her best friend Wormy live in Jenn. They are happy there until the day that Wormy proposes to Evie. Evie, having not thought much of marriage yet, turns him down. Unfortunately, Lucinda, the most irresponsible fairy godmother ever, was watching. Lucinda turns Evie into an ogre with just two months to find someone to marry her in order for her to be changed back. Evie sets out on a quest to see about finding someone to love her.

This is a prequel to Ella Enchanted, which
☼Shannon☼
This is not about Ella. This is about Evie and the story has little to nothing to do with Ella.

I was excited to get more Ella when I first heard about this but lowered my expectation on what I was getting. I knew this wasn't going to be about Ella and would probably be a different kind of story than Ella was and I was right. Its a good story on its own.

This one's a bit more Lucinda heavy and we get to see more of Lucinda's exploits. I didn't realize how much Lucinda did and its almost like a dy
Jen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read. I loved Ella Enchanted, and loved the world that Gail Carson Levine has created, but this one had some problematic messages, that I felt would deter me from handing to a child. This book felt older than the 8-12 age range as well, as it is about a teen being forced to marry, or else remain an ogre forever (she rejected a proposal and is being punished by the fairy, Lucinda). The main character goes through the book thinking that every person she meets could be the love of ...more
Valerie Cotnoir
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to this Beauty and the Beast retelling easily for 4 years. And I was not disappointed. Heartfelt, earnest and hilarious, this book kept me guessing until the end. I loved how simple Evie's desires were and how relatable her struggles were. I also loved the depictions of the different suitors and their strengths and weaknesses and how there is someone just right for everybody. I read the last third today...couldn't read fast enough. 😍
Kate Buechler
Ella Enchanted is very, very dear to me and reading this didn't ruin my fondness for that book, which is about as high of praise as I can bestow on this one.
Leah
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books, fantasy
I don't give out one stars lightly, and I suppose half of this should be on me, for expecting things I knew I would not get out of this book.

But god, did this book suck.

I am absolutely one of those people who grew up with Ella Enchanted, who consumed every single one of Levine's books with great excitement, seeking out everything she had ever written as a little ten-twelve year old. I even liked the movie adaptation of Ella. So when I saw this book show up in the new stack at the library and I r
Molly
I'm a huge fan of Gail Carson Levine and, unfortunately, this book did absolutely nothing for me. The pacing was too fast, the character development was almost non-existent, the writing was sloppy for the first half of the book, and the message I took away after finishing this story is all sorts of problematic. I wasn't a fan of the romance either. I almost DNF'd this but I decided to give it a chance and it did get slightly better just past the halfway mark, it just wasn't enough to cleanse me ...more
Elley Murray
First of all, HOW IS THERE NOT MORE HYPE OUT THERE ABOUT THIS?! Gail Carson Levine does it again. This is another amazing installment in the world of Ella Enchanted, Fairest, and Ever. Lucinda is at it again with her "gifts," and they're just as terrible as ever. This book takes place before the events of Ella Enchanted, and you might even recognize some of the characters (like Ella's mother and fairy godmother!)

This is such a fun fantasy with some romantic elements. It's written for middle-gra
Brandy Painter
Ogre Enchanted is a prequel to Ella Enchanted. It follows a young healer named Evie who is turned into an Ogre by Lucinda. This is Evie's punishment for refusing a marriage proposal from her best friend Wormie. Honestly, I found the story to be rather slow in many places, and it was hard to not roll my eyes frequently at both the way Evie talked and at her antics as she believes herself to be in love with a person she meets as an ogre. I admit it didn't help knowing who that person was. I do won ...more
Vicky Who Reads
3 stars

It felt underdeveloped. Not as endearing as A Tale as Two Castles, not as addictive as Fairest or Ever, and not as fresh as Ella Enchanted. Somewhat underwhelming--I wish Levine did a little more with the ogre element rather than just "i'm hangry boo hoo"
Juny
This book kind of disappointed me because of my expectations. I mean it's set in Ella Enchanted's world so of course it was interesting and good but just didn't enthrall me like Ella Enchanted did :( But what book can?

SPOILERS

I fan girled out whenever they mentioned a character from Ella Enchanted. I really liked that Lady Elenor was in this and we kind of got to know her and sort of compare her to Ella. At the same time getting to know Sir Peter more was just sadder. It made me dislike him even
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
I loved this book! Ella Enchanted was my favorite book for maybe five years of my life, so I was SO excited to find out a prequel was being written. It didn't disappoint! It took me way longer than it should have to realize Sir Peter and Lady Eleanor were Ella's future parents. It was wonderful learning more about them. As usual, the characters, plot, prose, and world were excellent.
Yvonne Olson
I think this is one of my least favorite Gail Carson Levine titles.
While I still enjoyed it, and her, it wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be.

When I had heard this book was coming out, I went to my boss and started screaming about how I needed it. It seemed so cute and Ella enchanted is a book I will forever love.

Ogre Enchanted just seemed a little trivial - not enough character growth, too much sporaticity in the plot, and too much making fun of tropes, I feel.

I found myself confused about whe
Stephanie Neuerburg
This companion novel to 1997's classic ELLA ENCHANTED is more a prequel than a sequel, but I'll try not to say much more than that in order not to give away any of the truly DELIGHTFUL tie-ins to the original novel. Evie is a charming, hardworking, sensible heroine with a huge heart - her adventure to break Lucinda's curse recalls Ella's, with its own originality. I love Levine's feminist takes on classic fairytales because she allows space for all of her heroines to choose love and romance when ...more
Natalie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Set in the world of Ella Enchanted (one of my favorite books of all time!) I was super excited to read this novel set in the same universe.

However, I didn’t like Evie anywhere near as much as I liked Ella. Ella is vivacious and fun; Evie is dull and obsessed with people’s posture. She has none of the quick wit of Ella. Also, the fact that she has two months to make someone fall in love with her made the whole thing instalove-y.

Gail Carson Levine is a great writer and definitely has a way with
Madison
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ogre Enchanted is as enchanting and humorous as its predecessor Ella Enchanted, and will delight old fans and new readers alike. Ogre Enchanted is a modern-day fairytale, with a strong and independent lead character, and threads of friendship and romance. Simple and unique, this twist on a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast will delight (and possibly disgust) young readers.

Evie, though only fifteen, is a gifted healer. Her passions are herbs, healing tonics and devoted attention to her pati
Allie Grace
This is a sweet love story about respect and friendship and finding looking beyond the surface of somebody. I didn't compare it to Ella enchanted as I was reading (I had forgotten most of the names of the minor characters and Ella's family and I'd more recently read different GCL books) so I can't comment on the people who said this book is a disappointment when compared to that one. But I enjoyed it, it made for a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
Una Carter
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-2019
I picked up this book because it looked interesting, but it really wasn’t. Most of the time, I was bored and the book was too long. It’s about a healer who has an apprentice healer, who is also her best friend, proposes to her, but when she refuses, a fairy turns her into an ogre, and she has to accept a marriage within 62 days, or she would stay an ogre forever.
Mary Ellen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was cute, silly, fun and romantic. It is definitely everything I'm looking for in a middle grade book. But huge Plus for having romance in it. Their love was so cute and innocent and they even admit that they are too young but because it's in a fantasy setting it's that much better. It was fun to go back into the Ella Enchanted world.
Bitchin' Reads
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have thoroughly enjoyed this one. Definitely hate Sir Peter even more.
Emily Polson
I mean, nothing can top Ella Enchanted, but going in with that mindset, I did enjoy this book a lot. Love the idea of a reverse gender beauty and the beast tale. Gail's writing has a certain magical quality to it, and her fantasy world has existed in my head for so long that it was lovely to slip back into it for a while. So many fascinating moments with characters from Ella making an appearance! I found that most of the "reveals" about those characters near the end illuminated my understanding ...more
Meg
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disjointedly written, it’s difficult to track movement of characters. Message is really off-putting. Accept a proposal given, even against your will, even when you think you’re too young. It will all work out in the end. I don’t understand this book at all! Not the ogre/human dynamic, not the weird sub plots, nothing really felt right. I loved Ella Enchanted, but this one was not good.

• Beauty and the Beast
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known as De Fawg Pin
  • The Cottage in the Woods
  • Out of the Wild
  • Untitled Maura of Dunlath Book
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Happily Ever After Collection
  • Oddly Normal, Book 1
  • The Wolf Hour
  • The Flight of Swans
  • The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
  • Grayling's Song
  • The Princess Curse
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo

Ella Enchanted (2 books)
  • Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1)