Start by marking “Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)

Kill the Queen

(Crown of Shards #1)

13 Hours and 4 Minutes

Gladiator meets Game of Thrones: a royal woman becomes a skilled warrior to destroy her murderous cousin, avenge her family, and save her kingdom in this first entry in a dazzling fantasy epic from the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Elemental Assassin series—an enthralling tale that combines magic, murder, intrigue, adventure,
Audiobook
Published October 2nd 2018 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about Kill the Queen, please sign up.
Jamie No, you don't need to read any other books. This is a completely different, brand new world.
Deb Evie is 28 years old and has been at the palace since she was orphaned 15 years previously.

Katerina
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
❝ Summer queens are fine and fair, with pretty ribbons and flowers in their hair. Winter queens are cold and hard, with frosted crowns made of icy shards.❞

Hooking. Engaging. Gripping. Encompassing.
I can cite the entire thesaurus, and the conclusion will still be the same: Jennifer Estep 's new high fantasy novel is wonderful!

There is a nation founded on gladiator tradition. A ruthless heir who does not hesitate to plunge her country in bloodshed and mayhem to pursue her megalomania. Schemin
Bibi
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were jarring

The setting is unmistakably medieval yet the atmosphere is an anachronistic interplay of 18th-century fixtures alongside present-day vocabulary.

Despite that, I found myself completely hooked by the characters, the plot, and everything that led up to that climactic, very satisfying ending. Waiting impatiently for the next book.
Beth
Breath-taking! White Knuckle Reading! Epic Fantasy at its finest! Estep rocks the epic fantasy genre with Kill the Queen and I can't wait for PROTECT THE PRINCE!

I'm sure I'll want to re-read it at least once more before then...It is that AMAZING! This is going to the top of my list of favorite fantasy reads 2018.

I received this ARC copy of Kill the Queen from HarperCollins - Harper Voyager. This is my honest and voluntary review. Kill the Queen is set for publication October 2, 2018.

My Rating:
Holly

Before I talk about why I liked this book, and I did like it, I first need to get off my chest the one thing I really didn't like: the trope of 'main character is told to say/do something specific and then spends the majority of the book NOT doing that thing because of stupid reasons just to drag the plot out more'. Why do authors do this? The reader spends a lot of the time frustrated thinking 'are they going to say/do it NOW? No? How about now? No? Ok, now?' But maybe that's just me.

I
❆Francesca (Mother of Cats) Selina❆
*Thanks to Edelweiss and Harper Voyager(Harper Collins) for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Sadly, this book didn’t work for me (despite the amazing premise) for multiple reasons.
I thought the world building was poorly flashed out (with bits of infos sprinkled in without a logic), the blurb describes it as “Game of Thrones meets Gladiator” but in reality the gladiators are used as plot device while the plot doesn’t have a smudge of the treachery and cruelty of GoT.
The divide b
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

A first in a new Fantasy series always has that unwelcome potential to be an information dump. When that happens the story seems to drag on and you don't seem to make much progress. Now Kill the Queen is a completely different caliber. It's addictive, fast paced and captivating. There is another thing that can slow a fantasy story down and that's archaic language. Jennifer Estep's first in this epic fantasy reads like a modern fantasy novel which is a welcome change.

Ev
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A beach book type of fantasy, pretty standard YA-type fantasy with a romance interest, except the language and violence are adult-level. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Lady Everleigh Saffira Winter Blair is a member of the royal family (seventeenth in line for the throne of Bellona, to be precise) and has lived in the royal palace for fifteen years, since her parents were murdered when she was twelve. But this position of access hasn’t exactly translated into a life of privilege for E
Maria V. Snyder
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much! The characters and world were very engaging and I want to read the next book. My only complaint was the fact that the back cover copy pretty much gives away what happens in the first third of the book. Even Part 1 is titled "The Royal Massacre" so this isn't a spoiler. And knowing what was going to happen made the first third anticlimactic with no surprises so all the clues that "something isn't quite right" didn't increase the tension for me. Parts 2 and 3 were wo ...more
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Kill the Queen by Jennifer Estep

Fantastic. Engaging.
Women gladiators and magic.
Fantasy that once it got going, didn’t stop until the very end. Loved it.
A little slow to start. First in a series. If I could, I would immediately start the second which is very out of the norm for me.
Yes, lots of battles and killing which is also typically a negative for me. And the villain has no remorse as she slaughtered dozens. The heroine kills as well (certainly not as many) but is full of remorse and disgust
Nenia Campbell
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I have a lot of favorite genres to read, but one I find myself coming back to again and again is fantasy. You could argue that any fictional book is escapist, but fantasy (and science-fiction, to a lesser extent) is the genre that involves literally escaping to another world, and I find it so amazing that we as humans can actually dream up entire alternate universes, populate them with living things, and then put all of that imagination to
Brittany
5 Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was my very first Jennifer Estep book- But it will not be my last! I'm a FAN! I don't know what I was expecting with this book. I knew the Game of Thrones Comparison was a reach...and other than that, I had no idea what this book was about other than seeing it around on Goodreads. So- if you haven't read it- go into it b
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/18/...

I’d never read Jennifer Estep before Kill the Queen, though I’ve often seen her name spoken of highly among readers in urban fantasy and paranormal romance circles. As a result, I’d long been curious about her work, so when I first learned that she was venturing into epic fantasy with a new book described as a royal revenge story about a female gladiator, I was instantly intrigued.

Kill the Queen follows Everleigh (who pref
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It truly is hard to put down any book Estep writes but I have to say, Kill The Queen is one that was impossible to put down. From the very first few bloody chapters right up until the spectacular ending, I knew that this was going to be a series I wanted, no, needed, more of.

Right from the beginning this screams Estep with the classic allure of both food references and bloody fight scenes along with a strong female MC that you just know is going to kick butt and take names along the way.

I abso
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

When I first heard about this series, I was very excited about it. I find that this entire concept in intriguing not to mention that the title of this book captures your attention very well.

Jennifer Estep excels at writing strong heroines and Lady Everleigh is no exception. This series is marketed as Gladiator meets Game of Thrones and I can definitely sense that here. It has a ton of emotion to it, most of it negative as it deals with revenge and anger. However, Estep’s writing style keeps it
Lady Heather
 photo Kill the Queen Blog Tour Banner.1.jpg

Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Crown of Shards epic fantasy series. Kill the Queen, book #1, will be released on Oct. 2.

The Crown of Shards series focuses on Everleigh Blair, a member of the royal family who is distantly in line for the throne of Bellona, a kingdom steeped in gladiator tradition. But when the unthinkable happens, Evie finds herself
Stacey is Sassy
Ummm...where's the romance???

Kill the Queen has been on my radar for a wee while. Sure, the title is interesting and I've heard about Jennifer Estep and her talent with Para-Fantasy, but that wasn't the drawcard. The heroine on the cover is wearing black leather pants. I'M A SUCKER FOR BLACK LEATHER PANTS!! I think they look so cool. I WANT TO BE COOL!! I have some leather-look ones, which I think look pretty amazing, but you can't compare to the real deal. I want to look as BADA$$ as Evie...but
Ian
This book is Jennifer Estep at her most "Jennifer Estep-iest".

An orphan with a rare type of magic does battle with an evil queen to save the kingdom and prevent a war. If that doesn't sound familiar my question is, where have you been?

So yeah. It's pretty much every Jennifer Estep book but I don't think that's a problem. Most of those books were pretty damned entertaining and Kill the Queen is up there with the best of them.

5 Stars because it's great, minus 1 Star because it really is just li
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a fantastic story! As soon as I saw this book online, I knew that I wanted to read it. Since this book is the beginning of a brand new series, I was really excited to give it a try. I did have a bit of a slow start with this book but that had everything to do with me and nothing to do with the book because the book was great. Once I had some time to dedicate to reading, I ended up devouring the bulk of this book in a single
Mei
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first book I read from this author because I think the others were NA/YA and that's not for me.
Also, I'm not overly fond of 1st person narrative, but in this case it worked very, very well!
Anyhow, I liked it very much!

The action is logical and the heroine, Evie, is excellent! She's intelligent.

At the beginning she's repressing her nature because she knows that if she doesn't she'll be putting herself in harm's way.

But, when all hell's been loosen, and she's left alone and without a
Sunny

With a beginning reminiscent of The Red Wedding episode from Game of Thrones, Jennifer Estep starts her new series off with an unforgettable beginning. I was quickly drawn into the intrigue as I dropped into the life of the royal court of Bellona. Having grown up as the "throw away" cousin because of her lack of powers and her status in the progression to the throne, Evie is overlooked (unless she is needed to attend to a minor event that no other royals wants to attend).

I am impresse
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
WOW, what a fabulous start to a new series by Jennifer Estep. When I first heard about this series I was very excited. I had just discovered Estep, Elemental Assassins series, and feel in love, so finding out a new series was coming I couldn’t pass it up.

Everything about this book captured me. We’ve got a spoiled villain, gladiators, magic, and a young women who must accept who she is, transform to save herself, and her kingdom.

Bellona is a kingdom steeped in gladiator tradition and history. Lad
Geri Reads
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The day of the royal massacre started out like any other. With me doing something completely utterly useless.”

All it took was that line and I was instantly hooked.

Kill the Queen is a fast paced, exhilarating new fantasy series from Jennifer Estep. Filled with magic and intrigue, Kill the Queen will leave you breathless with excitement as you follow Evie’s journey from a meek orphan girl to a force to be reckoned with.

Part Gladiator, part Game of Thrones, Kill the Queen is about Evie’s journey
Jeffe Kennedy
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just thrilled to welcome Jennifer Estep to the Fantasy Romance Dark Side. She brought the BEST FREAKING COOKIES! She's calling it epic fantasy, but I think the romance - a sizzling, very slow burn, as in, you don't even get a kiss, people - is too delicious not to mention.

Her heroine is awesome, storytelling flawless. Great characters and conflict. I devoured it over the weekend which I now bitterly regret because I wish I could be still reading it.

Cannot wait to get my mitts on the sequel:
Emma
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone always wanted to kill the queen.

This was great! I’ve only read Estep’s Elemental Assassin books, not any of her other UF tales, but as soon as I saw this, even before its release, I knew I’d be excited to see Estep writing something different. I loved it. This is a more traditional style fantasy, a historical medieval vibe. There are gargoyle and ogre shifters, and magic of different kinds, although not any that Evie possesses. Evie transitions from something of a weakling with no friend
Angela
I've been a fan of Jennifer Estep since the first Elemental Assassin book came out back in 2010. When I heard she was writing a straight-up fantasy series I was literally clamoring for it. I could not wait to get my hands on it. Life got in the way a bit and I ended up reading this a lot later than I'd initially intended. Lucky for me that means that book 2 is already out.

Crown of Shards takes place in an interesting fantasy world. There's magic, shifters (known as morphs), and royalty. There ar
☕️Kimberly
Caffeinated Reasons to Grab Kill the Queen

Gladiators, a treacherous, spoiled villain, magic and a young lady who must transform herself to save them all!
Lady Everleigh, whose parents were killed and whose lack of magical ability keeps her to the shadows of the royal court.  Bellona is a kingdom steeped in gladiator tradition.
Lady Evie has a secret. A magical gift she never shares. Vasilia, the crown princess, assassinates her mother the queen taking the throne by force. As she dies she whi
Douglas Meeks
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts in the middle of a big palace event and gives you a taste of palace intrigue and some slow moving parts for a chapter or so and then everything erupts into chaos. Since I can't tell you what occurs over the next few scenes it was shocking and surprising since I am used to anything calling itself "epic fantasy" moving at the speed of mud. This story grabs you and really never lets go, if something is not happening, she/he/they are planning on something happening. The other thing ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
So much to say.

First, the positive. I love this author and her imagination. She is a one click author for me. (that hasn't changed). The premise of this book is promising, but failed for me. Why? See below.

SPOILER ALERT - please note I listened to audiobook. spellings of names and places may not be correct.

Everleigh (Evie) is Gin 2.0.
Gin - Stone magic to harden skin to protect against magic. Evie - Null magic she summons through her to protect against magic attacks.
Gin & Evie - parents die
Kira
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fantasy, edelweiss

The blurb states that this is “Gladiator meets Game of Thrones” but only on the surface of things. It was only like Gladiator in the sense that it had gladiators. Although it has family treachery, it doesn’t even compare to the level of deception and cruelty of GOT. This greatly differs from GOT because the bad guys are obvious and only certain characters are likely to die. This had a massacre, but it was no red wedding.

The royal family was brutally murdered except for Evie. The massac
Grüffeline
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was getting tired of people laughing at me, but I tightened my grip on the pillow. I had stolen it fair and square and I wasn't giving it up.

This was amazing! Jennifer Estep once again proves that she deserves her spot among my favorite authors. She herself called this book an epic fantasy and I have to say... I agree!
Once I got over the fact that Evie was complaining about having to make a pie (with me literally going: C'mon, I'd love to bake a pie right now!), I came to love her and the
Girls, Guns and G...: Kill The Queen - January 2019 BotM 41 37 Jun 22, 2019 10:01PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Kill the Queen [June 2019] 8 4 Jun 22, 2019 10:46AM

• Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland, #1)
  • The Arrows of the Heart (The Uncharted Realms #4)
  • Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Love and Other Wild Things (Mystic Bayou, #2)
  • Falling (Falling Angels Saga, #4)
  • Stray Magic (Strays, #1)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
  • Lionheart (Moonshadow, #3)
  • The Black Tide (Outcast, #3)
  • Ascension (The Demon Hunters, #1)
  • The Incubus Job (Mission: Magic #1)
  • Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Crown of Shards (3 books)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
“Summer queens are fine and fair, with pretty ribbons and flowers in their hair. Winter queens are cold and hard, with frosted crowns made of icy shards.” 6 likes
“You have to survive, no matter what you have to do, no matter who you have to cheat and hurt and kill, no matter what the cost is to your heart and soul. Do you hear me, Everleigh? You have to live.” 3 likes