Start by marking “Into the Bright Unknown” as Want to Read:
Into the Bright Unknown

Into the Bright Unknown

(The Gold Seer Trilogy #3)

The stunning conclusion to Rae Carson’s New York Times–bestselling Gold Seer trilogy

Leah Westfall’s journey has been one of ever-present peril, hidden magic, harsh realities, loss, life, determination, and love. She has searched for a place to belong and a place to call home, and people who can accept a girl with magical powers that prove to be both blessing and curse.

Rae
Published October 9th 2018 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Bright Unknown, please sign up.
Steven I understand how you feel. Although, it does fit the pattern of the other titles; you may already know this, but each book's title is a lyric from a…moreI understand how you feel. Although, it does fit the pattern of the other titles; you may already know this, but each book's title is a lyric from a Christian hymn. "Walk on Earth a Stranger" is from a version of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" by Robert Robinson. "Like a River Glorious" is from the hymn of the same name by Frances Ridley Havergal. "Into the Bright Unknown" is from "O Sleepless Nights, O Cheerless Days" by Helen Smith Arnold.(less)

Suzanne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANFREAKINGTASTIC! Clapping Smiley

I have loved this series way more than I thought I would. I am kind of glad I waited for the final book to come out so I could read all three this past week. I loved the plot, characters, and well, everything about this series! This trilogy has been a great reading experience!
Trina (Between Chapters)
2.5 stars. I found this pretty meh, though not necessarily bad. I was just bored, which is pretty much the opposite of what a heist story should ever make you feel. Yes, it's a Wild West heist story, but I found some parts predictable, and I wasn't wowed by the reveal of how they pulled it off. The group of characters was nice to spend more time with though!

Audiobook - The narration was good and is probably half the reason I got through this once I realized I was bored.
Erin
If Ocean's Eleven took place in the Old West and had parts for actual fully formed woman it would be this book.

I'm not usually into Westerns. I don't watch movies or tv shows that take place in The Western Frontier. Its not my thing, but I discovered The Gold Seer trilogy by accident and I've found the entire series to be fun and unique. I couldn't have asked for a more suitable ending to this series. The writing was stellar and the plot was complex. So complex that at times I lost the thread of
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I adore this series as a whole and this was a great ending I think, fitting to the rest of the story.
Full review and rating to come.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
I loved the first books in this series but I think it should have been a doulogy. I actually thought the second book wrapped up very well, though after reading this I realize there were a handful of loose ends still (Becky's house, Hampton's wife, Free Jim, Lee's real parentage - not that it mattered).

Uncle Hiram was a compelling antagonist, but James Henry Hardwick just isn't.

*minor spoilers ahead*

I thought Mrs. Joiner discussed in the last book how she could not claim her house without her h
Kristy K
I found the beginning slow and was concerned I wouldn't like this last book in the trilogy, but thankfully it picks up a little after half-way and goes back to the action and adventure I remember and enjoyed so much from the first book. A satisfying, albeit overly perfect, conclusion.
Justine
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
A great conclusion to a really terrific series. This final book had a bit less eminent danger than the previous two, and entailed more of a complicated advance plan than Leah and her companions have previously had in order to deal with their problems. The outcome therefore had a more permanent feel to it, giving a true sense of real peace and safety for the community of Glory, California in the future.

This is a series I enjoyed from start to finish. Maybe I like western historical fiction more t
Into the Bright Unknown is the third and final installment in Rae Carson's young-adult historical fiction trilogy titled The Gold Seer. Set in the gold rush era, Ms. Carson puts her spin on history by adding a bit of magical realism which added some interest. Topics related to gender, race/slavery, the treatment of Native Americans, and corruption are brilliantly showcased in my opinion and added a depth that many YA authors could learn from. Overall, my investment in this trilogy as a whole ebb ...more
Kate ♚
Mar 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. You know you love an author when you mark a third book in the series to be published in a year as to-read even before reading #2.
nick
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical

This was a lovely end to the series. It's not as exciting as the previous books, actually it's a little mellow, but it works for a finale. And as always I adored the cast here.

RTC
Hollis
"I don't see many prospectors of the female persuasion. It's too hard a life for the weaker sex."
"I'll hear no more from you about the weaker sex until you've birthed three babes."

The final book in Carson's The Gold Seer Trilogy might not have been my favourite of the three but it still gave me almost everything I had hoped for after starting this series. We get more of Lee being a little hotheaded but learning to temper herself and rely on Jefferson as opposed to going off half-cocked. We have
B.A. Wilson
This was disappointing and unnecessary. The plot was thin. The storyline was boring. It’s also a bit preachy, which I wasn’t in the mood for. I don't mind when books have lessons or make a good point, but I hate that feeling like it is forced upon me...like the author is hitting me over the head with it. When that happens, it disrupts the story more than it helps or makes a point.

I gave this 3 stars, because I still love the characters and setting (and typically love everything Rae Carson). In
JoAnna
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well what can I say.... It took over a month to finish this.... It was predictable and a tad stale compared to the first two books.... BUT!!! I ended up enjoying it:) I hope there isn't a fourth book. Lets just stop at three please:)
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
A Lovely ending for a cast of wonderful characters.
Kayla
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so my enjoyment of this installment was slightly less than the other books, I can't pinpoint what was exactly wrong with it but I do know that the romance was just not good.
Emma
A fabulous end to this gold rush story! This has a very colourful cast of prospectors, who have set out to make a life for themselves. With Hiram out of the way, Leah and the others now find themselves in San Francisco and up against Harwood, the power and finance behind Hiram’s scheme. How can they get the better of the man who rules the city? This is a powerful heist style adventure, where the sights, sounds, smells, lifestyle of San Francisco painted brightly by Rae Carson. I am a fan of hist ...more
Tara
This book was one of my most highly anticipated reads of 2017, and now that I've finished it I just feel.. Meh.

And I'm so disappointed! The first two books were so strong, and I was so excited to finally wrap up this story! Usually the sequel is the weakest link in a trilogy, but in this case it was definitely the third one..

Now, don't get me wrong; I did enjoy this story. 'What?' I hear you ask. 'Your first half of this review doesn't give that impression at all.'

That's fair. BUT.

The majority o
Natalie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This cover is even better than the last one.

Look at it.

Behold its glory.

And the title!!!

When I first saw this I was literally going to cry

Travis
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was a fitting conclusion to the Gold Seer trilogy and I really liked how it all wrapped up however the series as a whole was a bumpy ride. This specific book took on a heist type story line and I wasn't impressed or excited with it at all. Another thing this book suffered from was the magic system. Truly from my perspective, this book would have been just as good without the magic system. It was that blase. The author also tried to incorporate more to the magic system and for me it was t ...more
Vanessa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion to a great series!
Dragana
Into the Bright Unknown was for me a weakest part of the series and a lukewarm ending to it. While everything is resolved I wish it ended with bigger impact.
Runell
Actual Rating: 3.5

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless.
Tricia Levenseller
Another fantastic conclusion to a trilogy by Rae Carson. She’s one of my favorite authors and an auto-buy for me. Love how clever this series is!
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Hmmm... What to say about this. The conclusion of Rae Carson's Gold Seer trilogy, I had Into the Bright Unknown pre-ordered pretty much the moment it became available. I loved Leah and her friends, and was eager to see the conclusion of her story, especially since the evil Uncle Hiram seemed to be out of the picture.

With Hiram being out of the picture, Carson had to make a sort of strange pivot for Leah & Co. in Into the Bright Unkno
Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^
Lexi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not sure if anything actually happened in this book. Simply put, definitely a complete let down after the previous two books.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This is such a fantastic series, but this book is my least favorite out of the series. The way the book ended was kind of a let down because Lee had to explain to everyone (and us) what exactly went on during the book, which just felt like a long (and confusing) info-dump. Overall, though, this is a fantastic book series, I was just a bit let-down by this one.
Saniya
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Trigger warnings: racism, microaggressions, slavery and kidnapping, sex work mention, blood and gore, misogyny, sexual harassment,

This was fine. The story was fine. The plot was fine. The twists were interesting. The magic was intriguing if underdeveloped. I don’t know what she imagined would happen with only two characters with power in a three book series. Not to mention the second one only appears in this book. The romance was cute and healthy and feminist blah blah.

I hate Becky she’s every
Cassie O. | Lost In Tomes

I am not entirely sure what I expected going into this but I know a revenge/heist plot was NOT it. I was intrigued at first by this sudden plot change however the more I read, the more disappointed I was. The first mistake was that we have a new (less interesting) villain in this one. Uncle Hiram was so hate-able! And while James Hardwick is still a bad guy, he’s just not as compelling. A heist story needs a strong, despicable villain that everyone can hate. Hardwick just didn't do it for me. It
Lucie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this one so much, which shouldn't come as surprise considering how I adored Walk on Earth a Stranger and Like a River Glorious, but I've had such bad luck with book finales.

Each book in this trilogy really feels like one arc of the overall story and I think that Rae Carson built that so well and it's also cleverly reflected in the book titles. I didn't really know what to expect with this one, but I loved the (light) heist feel this last book had, as well as the fact that it was se
  • Buried Heart (Court of Fives, #3)
  • Freedom's Slave (Dark Caravan Cycle, #3)
  • A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, #2)
  • The Cursed Queen (The Impostor Queen, #2)
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen, #3)
  • The Cursed Heir (Spirits and Thieves, #3)
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • Untitled (The Bone Season, #4)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame
  • The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #2)
  • To Win Her Smile (Players, #5)
  • Those Who Lived (Fallen World, #3.5)
  • Wild Rover No More: Being the Last Recorded Account of the Life & Times of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #12)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

The Gold Seer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
“As we crowd together toward a ladder, Becky leans over and whispers, “You handled that very well.”

“I did?”

“Once you started giving orders, he never once looked to any of the men for confirmation.” She squeezes my arm.

Jefferson comes up on the other side. “Don’t let it go to your head.”

“Huh?”

He nods at my right hand. “You’re the only one holding a gun, which kinda demands attention. And you tend to jab with it emphatically whenever you’re making a point.”

“I do not jab.”

“You jab.”

He points again. My arm is tensed and I’m thrusting the barrel of the gun at his feet while I talk.

“Huh. I never noticed that before.”
1 likes