Start by marking “American Survivor (American Apocalypse #1)” as Want to Read:
American Survivor (American Apocalypse #1)

American Survivor

(American Apocalypse #1)

American Apocalypse: American Survivor
This is Book I in the American Apocalypse series.
The North Koreans launch a surprise Nuclear EMP attack on the USA. Our hero, Joe doesn’t care about politics or what happened, he just knows his world went to Hell. Planes fell out of the sky, people went nuts looting and killing as he scrambled to hide from all of the craziness. Joe
Published January 14th 2018 by Newalk LLC

To ask other readers questions about American Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Survivor

Start your review of American Survivor (American Apocalypse #1)
Patiscynical
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well, this was a waste of time..

This book was dreadful. I'm sorry, but it really was. It's filled with sentimental claptrap, excruciating dialog, and ridiculous situations. The way the female characters were depicted was reminiscent of stories written by middle school students. Actually, the whole book could have been written by a middle school student.
Results: if you like prepper fiction, run away from this book now. I hate being so harsh, but this should not have been foisted onto an
Mysti
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I made it to page 40 & stopped reading-

I’m sorry but I cannot finish the book and I am so glad it was on KU and I didn’t spend my money on it!
This book could have used a professional editor. Even beta readers would have picked up on the long, long list of issues.
I felt as though I was reading something a teen wrote never intending to publish.
Hopefully the author’s writing improves and he invests in editorial services.
The subject matter was intriguing but it failed to deliver on so many
david wright
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Poor prose

Oh dear,
not for me. I'm afraid i couldn't finish it. I thought the "fat mechanic" in a post apocalyptic tale would be a great twist, but turned out to be a fat mechanic already with all the skills and opportunities for survival. Dreadfully unnatural prose.
Jeff Fuentes
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
So much potential but failed to deliver

The writing is very amateurish. The storyline is scattered and jumps around going to very random conversations and interactions. It feels like so much is missing.
Pam Shelton-Anderson
I was interested in this story because the main character is not a prepper or an ex-Navy seal etc. However, this "regular guy", ended up with a sweet already-prepped set up from his grandmother. Joe is mostly likable though and willing to help strangers. However, one friend is kidnapped, and though he is initially concerned and wants to try to find her, he never does anything and she is kind of just forgotten other than to give her clothes to someone else (Just wow, Joe). Most of the women say ...more
Ann E Brantley
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story, but needs work

This is a good story line with an evolving cast of characters. The conversations are stilted and the male/female relationships are clumsy, however. I think this author will improve as he continues. A good proofreader wouldn’t be amiss. In all, it’s still a good story and I plan to continue reading this series.
Philip D. Winningham
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Well done. I was raised in Rogue River valley,so this book became pretty personal. I am pleased that a story staged in my old stomping grounds was so well done. Kudos!
RJ
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the debut novel of a new apocalyptic survival series narrated by the talented, and my favorite, Kevin Pierce. The relationship between the characters and their individual growing pains are a large part of the story. Joe had been raised to protect women and children. He found that in this new world his sometimes overbearing protection was not always appreciated. Joe was a good man, but he had a few things to learn which he had never considered. Another sub-plot involves what appear to be ...more
Claire
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was really nice to find a book featuring an average person, well supposedly, with a head start from his prepper grandmother and years of experience hunting and trapping it feels like he's quite well prepared.

Joe turned out to go a genuinely likeable guy although I was a bit disappointed that he didn't end up going after the semi-girlfriend that was abducted. He helped so many people during the story, and he really didn't have to, in fact most people wouldn't so this seemed out of character.

Robert Rangel
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book. I’ve read (listened because I do Audible) a few apocalypse genre books and a couple I’ve gotten only as far as chapter one before realizing it wasn’t for me. This one is a good read. Interesting story about a average Joe (literally) who has some hunting, camping experience who gets caught up in post apocalyptic rural Oregon learning to adapt and survive in the new order. Kill or be killed. No military experience and living on land willed to him by his grandma who has written some post ...more
Jeff
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's so frustrating and disappointing when a potentially great story ends in a cliffhanger, especially when doing so is so unnecessary.

The author asks, "How does a regular guy survive the apocalypse?" But Joe isn't exactly a "regular guy" and he has help from his grandmother. The main characters are well-drawn and compelling. The story is realistic. However, I cannot in good conscience give a top rating to a story that ends in a cliffhanger.

As expected, Kevin Pierce delivers an outstanding
Shanna Tidwell
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joe is just a regular guy who happen to end up knowing more about survival that he even realized.
He turns in to a bad ass and helps save a lot of people. He’s a recluse and just wants to be alone but ends up realizing he needs people. His grandmother taught him a lot about survival and continues to do so from the grave... via letters she left him to read. When the book ended I was so mad & then the audio continued with a clip from the next book. Can’t wait to get more of this story. It’s
Nicholas Robinson
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book all in all when compared to other SHTF series that have become popular over the last couple of years but I won’t give it a perfect score. In comparison to other post apocalyptic novels like The Stand by King or the Passage trilogy it can’t be held in the same category. I listened to the audio book and Kevin Pierce was the narrator and did a great job as always. He has a matter of fact detached way of speaking which is great for the third person narrative.

I received a free copy of this
Mickenzie Jensen
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a really good read

I enjoyed a lot of things about this book and actually give it 3.5 stars. I liked the characters and storyline quite a bit. The reason I only gave it three stars is due to numerous editing issues and the way the characters often communicated. The way they talk is just too awkward. They are far too technical and stiff. I think if the author could work on making their communication more fluid and natural, it would improve the book greatly.
Benita M. Williams
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
fine read

I enjoyed this book in the way it started out and how the story developed from there. I wish there had been more letters from the grandmother though and the explanation for the "treasures" buried so maybe more about the treasure hunts and the letters in book 2. before it spends in another direction. Enjoying the story so far.
Lori Spier
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was rather pleasantly surprised. The synopsis read as an "every man" surviving, but then in the first chapter, he inherits land, cabins, money, etc which put him far ahead of every day Joe. But the book didn't turn into the unrealistic tale I expected. Instead, it stayed humble and homey in a way. Got me interested enough to read the second book.
Lisa Harnish
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Steven  Bouchard
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent beginning book series.

This book is very well written and lets the reader enjoy the personalities of the characters. And all characters are well done!

The story is intriguing and follows a smooth course of true potential events. You won't be sorry you got this book! The author is very accomplished!
Brad T.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book although at times I found the prose to be lacking in maturity. You have to be able to get past a lot of third person narrative in the beginning. Once you do though, I found the characters to be likeable. I'll read book 2.
Preston  Dannelley
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dang good story

Can't wait to start one the next book. This story not only has the actions of the characters but reveals deep thoughts and feelings as they go from one crisis to the next. This is heads and shoulders above the best stories I have read so far.
Deedra
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good,despite the stereotypes proliferated in it.I would like to find out what hppens to the families in the story,but could do without the 'Ali Ackbar's.Kevin Pierce was an excellent narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Blair Stackhouse
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Goes downhill

The book starts fairly interesting. Opens with an intro of or main character as not a bad ass military man. It randomly uses abbreviations without telling us what they mean (and they are not common ones). The characters are inconsistent and not interesting.
Brycep
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story line. It seems the author has an agenda about preppers. This is at best a 9th Grade novel about Apocalyptic times. I was interested that it's set in Medford, Oregon and it got me thinking if I really am prepared for such an attack. However likely or unlikely.
Cherye Elliott
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joe

Be like Joe. I wish I had his Grandmother. Life would be so much easier.

Enjoying the series. Looking forward to reading the next book.
shellie Everhart
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great author

I love the way AJ makes his characters real. And adds in survival techniques. Joe's grandmom is the best! Thanks
shirley j kidd
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
American Survivor # 1

I really like this writer. He Mac's
you feel like you have known these characters for ever. Just like someone you know.

Bryan Tucker
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good read

This is one of those books that makes my kindle membership the best money spent. Now I have to sit and wait for book 2 please hurry up and get it out on kindle.
Rita
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good start. Heading to #2.
Cheri
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
The writing is a little too perfect as in, very formal writing, it is also a serial so it ends in a cliffhanger, not my type of book.
Kathy Folmar
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Needs editing, badly!

• Rogues Origin (Rogues Apocalypse #1)
  • Rogues Rising (Rogues Apocalypse #2)
  • 300 Miles (Perilous Miles #0.5)
  • 15 Miles From Home (Perilous Miles #1)
  • Rogues Journey (Rogues Apocalypse #3)
  • The Hidden Survivor: An EMP survival story
  • Brace for Impact (Nuclear Survival Saga #1; Nuclear Survival: Southern Grit #1)
  • Blackout: Still Surviving (Still Surviving #1)
  • Breakdown (Dark Road Book 1)
  • Solar Plexus: (A Dystopian EMP Post-Apocalyptic Fiction Novel)
  • Unlawful Restraint: An EMP survival story (The Hidden Survivor #2)
  • Axis of Evil (Lone Star #1)
  • The Ranch: A Legacy of Violence (The Legacy Series Book 2)
  • Escape: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 2)
  • Another 20 Miles (Perilous Miles Book 3)
  • Premonitions: Book 1: The Farm
  • Beyond Borders (Lone Star #2)
  • Prepper Mountain (The Bushwhackers, #1)

A.J. Newman is the author of over 22 novels that have been published on Amazon. He was born and raised in a small town in the western part of Kentucky. His Dad taught him how to handle guns very early in life, and he and his best friend Mike spent summers shooting .22 rifles and fishing.
He read every book he

American Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Descent Into Darkness (American Apocalypse #2)
  • Reign of Darkness (American Apocalypse #3)
  • Rising from the Darkness: American Apocalypse