Start by marking “A Better Place to Be: Based on the Harry Chapin Song” as Want to Read:
A Better Place to Be: Based on the Harry Chapin Song

A Better Place to Be: Based on the Harry Chapin Song

A story about life, though perhaps not the one you would choose to live.
inspired by the characters from the Harry Chapin song of the same name, 'A Better Place To Be' is a story of love, loss, and the ability to overcome the worst that life can throw at someone and come out the other side.
Published (first published December 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Better Place to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Better Place to Be

Beth
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a huge Harry Chapin fan and now I am a David Wind fan, as well!

A great story told in song by Harry Chapin and retold in book form by David Wind. I love how he fills in the missing pieces of Harry's story. The characters come alive. The main character is well written and the supporting characters, do just that, support the story and main character.

If you are unfamiliar with Harry Chapin, you might still enjoy this book, but my suggestion is to download a copy of this song and t
Al
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2018
As the description and cover make clear, this book is based on the Harry Chapin song of the same name. Yeah, you know, Harry Chapin. The guy who wrote Taxi (no, not the TV thing with Danny DeVito, the song). Don’t know that song? How about Cat’s in the Cradle? I guess mentioning 30,000 Pounds of Bananas or W.O.L.D would be pointless. Potential readers of this book are going to fall into two camps. The kids (okay, middle-aged adults) who have no clue who Harry Chapin is and are clueless about the ...more
Bronwyn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Wind is an author I’ve read before, in other genres – fantasy sci-fi, and thrillers. This one is contemporary, literary – a very human and moving story of a man trying to cope with one of the worst tests that life can throw at you.
The central character is very well drawn, and the facts well informed.
The writing is fluent, intelligent, not overdone. I recommend it to all who are interested in the human condition and reading about the pathways we take through life.
Steph Warren
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free ARC of this book with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

This story is inspired by and based on the Harry Chapin song of the same name, but where the song focuses on the everyday loneliness of average people this story is about the loneliness and grief that comes when great love is lost.

Most of the plot follows the main character, John, as he first has to come to terms with his beloved wife’s illness and then self-destructs in her absence
PelicanFreak
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
That word just comes to mind over and over, in regards to this book, along with the phrase, heart-wrenching. It’s good though - incredibly, in a makes-you-feel-things-and-think-things brilliantly good.
Upon first meeting John, he’s likable enough. He soon turns out to be sweet and the reader would have to be dead to not feel his love for Claire - and it is mutual. So the two of them have this great, comfortable thing…until tragedy strikes. Then the reader is treated to a gut-wrenching, realis
PelicanFreak
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

Nicholas Rossis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading Wind's book, I had never heard Chapin's song. So, for me, the book was judged on its own merits. And what merits it has: it takes the reader on a rollercoaster of emotions, from despair to hope and back again. While its hero's life crashes and burns following his beloved wife's illness, we can't help but hope for his redemption. Instead, we watch him descend ever deeper into a hell of his own making.

Beautifully written, the book pulls no punches when Wind describes the hero's dep
Piper Templeton
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Better Place to Be by David Wind takes the reader on lead character John Edghes’ journey after life deals him a devastating blow. Inspired by the Harry Chapin song of the same name, this exquisitely-written novel pays homage to the song while creating a detailed back story and character study.

The author gets deep inside the mind and soul of John as he paints a realistic portrait of a man’s descent into despair and his struggle to reclaim functionality in the real world. It’s a long, agonizing
Mitzi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John is a lonely man who lost his wife to cancer 12 years ago. He’s been through a lot, but has his life on a track with which he is now comfortable. He meets a woman in a diner, and has one night of holding someone again. She leaves while he is out getting breakfast for them. But, he now remembers how nice it is to be with someone. Is he open to letting someone else in? A lovely story based on a classic story-song.
Patsy Kietzman
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional read. The emotions were full on. Not a tearjerker but I would feel tears streaming down my cheeks.. we have all been sad and unhappy and lost,this book puts the words inside you as you read. Well written and paced. I felt as if I were a partner in this book. Well done. I will looking into more of your books..Thanks for a great read.
Debbi Smith
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a rabid Harry Chapin fan, I'm at a loss in what to say about this book. A little happy, a lot sad, and true to the song.
A good book and recommended to those of you that know there's not always a happy ending.
Bella
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A moving story that is thoughtfully composed and beautifully written. Worth reading for the poetic nature of the author's prose alone, but the story will not disappoint either.

I received this book as a gift, and have decided to leave a review.
Ann Keeran
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story of love, disease, death, despair and recovery. After hitting bottom, our hero finds A Better Place To Be. A definite must read for every human.
Indiebrag
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that A BETTER PLACE TO BE: Based on the Harry Chapin Song by David Wind is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Nancy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book however I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Beth
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am huge Harry Chapin fan and now I am a David Wind fan too!
Christopher Thelen
Jesse Jackson
Mar 28, 2018
Bev York
Jun 10, 2018
David Wind has published thirty-nine novels, including science fiction & Fantasy, mystery, thriller, noir, and suspense novels. He lives and writes in Boynton Beach, Florida, and shares his home with his wife, Bonnie, and dog Alfie, a sub-standard poodle (email David for an explanation).
His newest novel is A Better Place To Be based on the Harry Chapin song of the same name. Not his usual gen