Start by marking “Love, Iris” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Love, Iris

Elizabeth Noble

Love, Iris

Did you ever have a secret you knew would change everything?

Tess's happy childhood memories are mostly of the grandmother who helped raise her. And now she has a secret to tell Iris - one which will turn so many lives upside down.

But how can you confide your future in someone who barely remembers her past?

Tess knows everything is about to change. What she doesn't know is
Paperback
Published December 27th 2018 by Penguin (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Iris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Iris

Paromjit
Elizabeth Noble writes a beautiful and glorious novel of a contemporary family and friends drama of hope, loss, family secrets, unexpected surprises, rifts and relationships. Tess is in a relationship with her boyfriend, Sean, when she learns of her unplanned for pregnancy. It takes her a while to come to terms with this, and in the meantime, her beloved grandmother, Iris's health has steadily declined, suffering from dementia, unable to look after herself as she is taken to hospital. Tess has b ...more
Zoe Mann
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Letters to Iris" by Elizabeth Noble left me crying like a baby and smiling ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat. The emotional journey Tess, Donna, Gigi and most importantly Iris take you on is so real and raw and undeniably beautiful and devastating.

I wondered how Noble could make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside one minute and then totally break my heart the next and it's because this book is so relatable and true it hurts. It's exactly what life is about. Love, family, heartbreak, struggles, life
Louise Wilson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tess has a secret, one which is going to turn her life upside down. In just nine months time. The only person she can confide in is her beloved Grandmother. But Iris is slipping further away each day. Then chance brings a stranger into Tess's life. Gigi's heart goes out to Tess, knowing what it's like to feel alone.

This book revolves round two families who met when they were visiting elderly relatives in a nursing home. Tess's relationship with her Grandmother had been a strong one, but with her
Dale Harcombe
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tess has discovered that her life is about to change in ways she did not expect. She cannot tell her mother, Donna, as they don’t get along. She can tell her grandmother, Iris. But Iris may not even remember what she is told, as Iris has dementia. Sometimes she doesn’t even know who her beloved granddaughter is. And yet they have shared much of their lives together. In many way Iris has been more of a mother to Tess than Donna has. A suitcase filled with letters helps Tess understand more of her ...more
Aoife
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When Tess finds herself unexpectantly pregnant and single, she feels very much alone until she meets Gigi, a relative of a man in the same nursing home as Tess’s grandmother. As Tess continues her pregnancy, the two women battle their own personal troubles but also end up becoming unlikely friends.

This was a lovely read, and one I would definitely recommend to anyone l
Anni
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As one life comes to its end, another one begins - and the generations move on. What may seem like an ordinary story of the mother-daughter bond takes on an extra poignancy with the detailing of every stage of a baby's growth in the womb, as a pregnant mum addresses letters to her unborn child. Elizabeth Noble has written a very moving paean to the maternal instinct and a reminder of the precarious everyday miracle of birth.
Mystica
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb spoke about love in all its forms and this is perfectly true of this story. The main thread is the immense affection and love that Tess has for her grandmother Iris who was the mainstay of her life in the absence of her mother and father and they were a mutual admiration society for each other. Until now. Iris has early onset dementia and moving her into a home is the only option available.

On top of it all Tess's own relationship with Sean is on the rocks with an unexpected pregnancy a
Caitlin Rushby
What's it about?

Tess has a secret, a baby-shaped secret that will be making its entrance in nine short months. But that isn't the only thing keeping her awake at night; her beloved grandmother Iris is slipping away just when Tess needs her most. Unexpectedly alone, Tess strikes up a friendship with Gigi, a friendly face from Iris's nursing home.

Then Tess discovers Iris had a secret of her own. Did she really know her grandmother at all?

My thoughts

If there was a phrase to sum up this book, it wo
Karen Whittard
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply beautiful and I loved every moment of it. For someone who has just lost their grandmother. This book was exactly what I needed at the moment. It had me reaching for the tissues on multiple occasions and I absolutely loved it. Elizabeth is a master crafts woman and she has wrote one heck of a beautiful novel. 😍😍❤❤ ...more
Julie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was left completely in tears by this book. From the start, I was drawn into Tess's life as she watches her grandmother's decline. Then I was intrigued by Gigi's story wondering how the two would intertwine. Their stories will touch you on every level as between them they deal with facing pregnancy alone, dementia, motherhood and the relationship between mother and child, marriage and what happens when you realise you are only living a half-life? I found I could relate to all of these but found ...more
Cal
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel incredibly lucky to have been given the opportunity to read this beautiful book. It’s one of those books that simply gets under your skin, that you can’t stop thinking about even when you’ve put it down at the end of the day.

It’s a story of love, friendship, family and motherhood. Of four women who are at very different stages of their lives, but who I found I could relate to on a personal level I would not have expected. From Tess who is at the very beginning of her journey, to Donna wh
Mary
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4.5*

Dear Reader,

I absolutely adored this multi layered,family centred tale and was totally enthralled by the vivid,three dimensional characters,the myriad challenges that life has a habit of posing and how they dealt with them in a realistic and apt way.

Focusing initially on Tess,her partner,Sean, her quasi relationship with a largely absentee mother, Donna,and Iris,an ailing grandmother,lost in the fog of Alzheimer's, we are soon enraptured with how they confront the slings and arrows of outrag
Jeanniehay64
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful gentle book revolves around two families who meet while visiting their elderly relatives in a nursing home.

Tess is visiting her beloved grandmother Iris. Her relationship with her grandmother is strong and her discovery of her old letters with secrets unfolded is central to the story. Tess is somewhat estranged from her mother and although in a relationship things change with her discovery of her unplanned pregnancy.

Gigi is married to Richard and a loving mother to three grown up
michelle
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letter to Iris is a powerful story about Life, love, relationships and even death. The story is telling about 2 families. Gigi and Richard and their grown up children and Tess, her Grandmother Iris and her Mother Donna.
Gigi is separated from her husband Richard as their ‘spark’ in their marriage has gone and she works in the hospital where Tess grandmother is. Their children are not really happy with the arrangement except for her son Olly.
Tess is single and pregnant from her boyfriend who didn’
Natalie Mullan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family-drama/romance
Think Danielle Steel with a bit more story. A beautiful, at time heart-breaking, story of love, loss, family, secrets, promises and most importantly hope. A little slow to start but by halfway I could not put it down (despite the predictability). An amazing cast of female characters. A memorable read (great for a holiday read too). Lovely.
Claire Watson
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters to Iris is billed as a gloriously uplifting story about love in all its forms and I couldn’t agree more. It follows the story of Tess and her beloved grandmother Iris. Add in the fabulous Gigi and you’re in for a corker of a book.

This novel is well written, the characters stories flow well and you’re taken on a rollercoaster of emotions through this heartwarming book.

I enjoyed every page and can definitely recommend this book. Thank you to NetGalley, Penguin UK Michael Joseph and the aut
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
"I suppose none of us lives a life without regret, or without buggering something up."

This is such a well written story, which deals with sensitive subjects such as dementia and grief. Elizabeth Noble is very good at engaging readers, even when it comes to dealing with these difficult issues, this is what makes her writing so exceptional and read worthy. This book is emotional, moving and cleverly crafted, with some very loveable characters. It was very charming and a complete joy to read.
Sue Frances
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Elizabeth Noble I've read and I will be looking out for more of her novels now. A lovely story and beautifully written.
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Tess thinks she is happy in her relationship; she goes along with whatever he says; moves into his flat, goes to dreary functions where she is decoration; and one day she realises this. She also realises she is pregnant. Unsure of how she feels she hesitates before confiding in anyone and stops to take stock. What does she want – not sure; and the weeks pass? Then he springs two surprises on her over Christmas – the first he has been offered promotion (in New York) and the second is his proposal ...more
Nicki Southwell
Shelves: my-reviews
I did so enjoy this book. Gigi and Richard have been married for a long time and their three children have now grown up. Tess, 35, discovers that she is pregnant but stalls telling her boyfriend as she is unsure what his reaction will be. She and Sean have been together for over 2 years but starting a family is not something that they had planned.

Out of the blue, he is offered a job in New York and has no qualms about accepting it. He and everyone else assumes that she will go with him.

This enth
Breakaway Reviewers
The twists and turns of fate

Tess has a successful job in Human Resources at a City firm but is finding it difficult to focus, because her ninety-five-year-old grandmother, Iris, is in the hospital; Tess feels responsible for taking care of her, as Iris looked after Tess when her mother, Donna, was distracted and distant. She has also just found out that she is pregnant which definitely wasn’t planned and hasn’t gone down well with her boyfriend, Sean.

Gigi is an empty nester with a boring husband
Susan Foulkes
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is wonderful to have a new book by Elizabeth Noble!

Letters to Iris is about modern day life, with all its stresses, strains, expectations, and "doing the right thing".

The narrative weaves together the lives of two very different families interspersed with letters to an unborn child. We see love in all its forms, and complications, yet the story questions whether love needs to be complicated.

The characters are all fully fleshed with backstories detailing how they came to this stage in their li
Priya Bhowal
I expected something and it turned out to be something else. And I can't decide whether it's a good thing or bad.
Often the prologue is a part from the later part of the story, But we didn't come to that part. Also, since the title is Letters to Iris, I think the spotlight on senior Iris was not as much as it I was expecting. Gigi's part, though a good read but was not required, the senior and junior Iris would do. I wanted more on Iris and Tom since Tom seemed to be playing a role in the prolog
Sally Coles
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tess is definitely at a crossroads in her life, she is pregnant a not sure about the baby's father and so hasn't told him, the only person she had ever been able to confide in is her beloved grandmother Iris but Iris now has dementia. Gigi has been married for years and has grown up children but she is now not sure about her future path. When these two ladies meet there is an immediate bond but will they be able to help each other out of their difficulties?

A lovely book I really liked the main c
Maddy Cordell
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tess was brought up by her Grandmother and loves her unconditionally, however ends up having to put her in a home when she becomes so confused she can’t look after herself.

Gigi was married for many years and has 3 children, and goes to the same home to visit her father in law.

The two meet and become friends, and Tess needs all the friends she can get when she finds herself pregnant and the father ‘isn’t ready’.

A lovely, sweet story, well told.
Karen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear. Another book that I had to read for book group. We were all unanimous in our opinion of it. TRASH! It wasn't so much about letters to Iris but about a blow by blow mushy account of a pregnancy and impausible and cringy family relationships. Yuk.
Daphne Sharpe
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very moving account of love and life, with all the unpredictability that modern times entail. Iris is the central character here,she is the grandmother of Tess,and she is deeply loved. Iris brought Tess up in the absence of Donna,her mother,and now Iris has early onset Dementia and has to go into care.
Tess is pregnant . This doesn't chime well with Sean her boyfriend,and when he implies that she should get rid of IT, they break up. Tess has to move in with Donna,and gradually secrets o
Heather Temple
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story of life. Was a little slow to begin with but glad I stuck with it until the end. Very nicely written and the story very relatable 5 stars
Patricia Moren
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely story, Tess and Gigi were easy to identify with and the story, both funny and sad, was captivating.
Mrs
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters to Iris is a wonderful story of love, relationships but basically life with its ups and downs.
It concerns Tess whose love for her grandmother Iris shines off the page, her relationship with her 'flakey' mother and her partner who on learning Tess is pregnant wants her to have a termination as a baby would not fit into his plans having just been offered relocation to New York with his work. Tess decides to continue the pregnancy alone.
Gigi is a mother of three and a grandmother. Tess and
  • Every Woman Knows a Secret
  • The Last Garden
  • Fall in Sweetwater County (Sweetwater County, #4)
  • Can Jane Eyre Be Happy?: More Puzzles in Classic Fiction
  • The Secret Books
  • Keeping Up with Magda
  • The Secret Hen House Theatre (The Secret Hen House Theatre, #1)
  • The Spice Box (The Spice Box, #1)
  • The Crying Place
  • The Little Bookshop Of Promises
  • The Child Inside
  • Learning To Swim
(1)literature & fiction

Elizabeth Noble was born in High Wycombe, Bucks, and now lives in New York with her husband and two daughters. She studied English at Oxford University and after graduating embarked on a career in publishing before taking up writing full time. She is the author of seven novels, The Rea