Start by marking “Yes, You Are Trans Enough: My Transition from Self-Loathing to Self-Love” as Want to Read:
Yes, You Are Trans Enough: My Transition from Self-Loathing to Self-Love

Yes, You Are Trans Enough: My Transition from Self-Loathing to Self-Love

This is the deeply personal and witty account of growing up as the kid who never fitted in. Transgender blogger Mia Violet reflects on her life and how at 26 she came to finally realise she was 'trans enough' to be transgender, after years of knowing she was different but without the language to understand why.

From bullying, heartache and a botched coming out attempt,
Paperback, 1st edition, 352 pages
Published June 21st 2018 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Yes, You Are Trans Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes, You Are Trans Enough

Start your review of Yes, You Are Trans Enough: My Transition from Self-Loathing to Self-Love
Avery Delany
When I first came across Yes, You are Trans Enough, I knew that it was going to stand out in the busy crowd of transgender memoirs as something different and special. The colorful cover was not only bright, bold and charismatic, just like it’s author Mia Violet, but it reached out a welcoming hand with its affirmative declaration that, yes, you are trans enough.

The overwhelming anxiety over whether you are “trans enough” to be transgender is a far more common concern than many of us realize and
C.L. Ogilvie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, memoir
Insightful, informative and deeply affecting. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to read this. Written with warm and humor, a very moving read. Highly recommended!
Sam Alexander-Eames
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Mia's matter-of-fact writing style, and her ability to form a coherent narrative out of several decades of incredibly detailed personal history.

For me, a lot of the more general messages in the book were already very familiar. I took away two things:

1. It can be really important as a trans person living in a hateful world to find some confidence and positivity in your own identity, and to remember to take happiness from that.
2. A lot of her experiences were more familiar than I expected.
Isaac R. Fellman
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely memoir. Sometimes the level of detail leans towards the exhaustive, but detail is reassuring when you’re anxious, and Violet’s project is obviously very self-aware about the prospect of anxious just-out trans people being among her readership! I’m so happy she’s around.
Fairy from Space
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mia's so lovely.

Great book. Great message to it.
Sharon
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This might be my new favorite book about gender. Mia Violet writes an incredibly engaging narrative, weaving together her own life story and basic information about transition to create an educational memoir. I found it especially harrowing to read about her childhood experiences of being bullied by boys. On the educational front, I learned about the UK's awful gatekeeping approach to trans healthcare and how it threw a bunch of unnecessary barriers in front of her transition. I love the overall ...more
Christine Burns
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honest, raw, moving: This intimate blow by blow account of a young trans woman’s odyssey to personal acceptance and authenticity really ought to be compulsory reading for anyone who ever thought in ignorance that a change of gender was a whimsical adventure.
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started following Mia Violet on Twitter (@OhMiaGod) once I started being more active on Twitter a year or two ago and she consistently posts good stuff, mostly on trans topics but also on mental health and other subjects.

This book is a memoir of Mia’s life from her childhood in a brutal British boarding school to her life as an out trans person working in a white-collar job. It explains her experience of being trans: what it feels like to be trans, how she knew she was trans, how dysphoria
Grady
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Transphobia is still epidemic in the media and in our society’

British author Mia Violet is a bisexual trans woman who turned her love of oversharing and analysing everything to death into fuel for her writing career. She uses her sense of humour and passion for helping others to write about queer issues and positive thinking. She also draws deeply from her own experiences of going from a miserable grump to an excitable ball of glitter.

The pleasure of reading Mia’s book is her warmly insightful
Rachel
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Mia Violet's story is interesting and is an excellent addition to the trans-person story genre. I particularly like how she stresses that each person is an individual, and there is no one (or dozen) way to be trans. And that not all trans people have the goal of passing a cis person of their gender.

But parts of the book drag on. I can't say what could have been cut, but something should have been. I got used to the way she would end a chapter about her personal life with
Ash Campo
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brooke
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Shelves: ebook-owned
So deeply personal but also so very relatable. I wish I had had this book years ago, or even just earlier on in my transition - because it is filled with great information and reassurance that there really is no one right way to be trans.

Mia is also from Britain, so while I knew there were countless roadblocks and gatekeeping for trans people there looking for HRT, reading about first hand experience was really eye opening. I am glad that there are places in the US that have informed consent
Hazel
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, queer
Mia puts her heart on the line, as she tells us what it was like growing up trans. This is a story of bullying, mental illness, denial, failed coming outs. It is also a story of acceptance, of love, of success and transition.

I'd certainly recommend this to anyone struggling with their identity, anyone who has come out as trans, and to cis people who want to know more about what it is like to be trans.

The book is well written, and is in no way dry or boring. It is quite entertaining throughout.
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An urgent read for both those whose experiences align with the author's, and those who need to learn from them. Equally unsettling and uplifting, Violet's memoir both identifies and begins to fill a notable vacancy in literature on the experiences of trans people in the UK, with the market often being dominated by an American context, which doesn't always apply. To learn more about Mia Violet and to continue following her journey, I recommend following her on twitter, where, as she describes, ...more
Jenny Stevens
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Author goes over her struggles with gender and eventual transition. Its refreshing to hear a story in which breaks from the normal narrative of wanting to play with dolls and where her mother's clothes. She still is a very much femme trans woman and you get to read an honest story of how she gets there.

She also does an appropriate and nice job of trying to explain what other trans ppl go through, while simultaneously reminding the reader she only speaks for herself and humbles
Monical
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Personal story on transitioning from the author, with a bit of explanation of the environment, her schooling, and all the abbreviations. Its good for the author that she lives in Great Britain, where the medical portion (or at least part of it) is supported by the NHS. The author never really discloses the extent of her transition other than estrogen-- so I'm not certain that NHS will pay for surgery should that be selected. Nevertheless, it was a good educational book, more on the psychology ...more
Clarissa
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, nonfiction
It was a bit of a slow read for me but I don't think that's at the fault of the book. I had to read it slow. Despite being cis (or maaaaybe nonbinary?????) it was pretty triggering for me, the way Mia's parents reacted.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this book. Not in a "oh it was a nice light read, very enjoyable" way but in understanding one trans woman's perspective and learning about it. That's all I really have to say, tbh lol It's worth a read if you can handle possible triggers.
Jane
I first came across this last year when I was challenging myself to read books outside my usual genres. Last month I walked into my library and saw it prominently displayed on the "Transgender day of visibility" support and awareness stand. So I thought it was obviously time. It's a beautiful read. Well written. Carefully exploring the difficulties, and challenges she has faced but in a way that is mostly positive and growth focused.
James
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's weird reading a book by someone you know, especially such a personal story! Mia writes honestly and clearly about her trans experience. As a cisgender (gay) man, I learned a lot about the lived reality of being a trans woman, and I also identified with some of the mental and emotional stresses that being queer can have on a person.
Rachel Marie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mia's autobiographical tale of slowly accepting herself as a trans woman is inspiring beyond words. From chapter to chapter, her words made me feel as if I were sitting with a close friend talking about our pasts together. Her words are relatable, honest, and soul-touching.
Erik
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, transgender, lgbtq
One of my new favorite trans-related books. I enjoyed how Mia wove general bits of transgender information within her own personal story. The writing was clear and easy to read - I tended to feel more like I was reading a novel than a work of non-fiction.
KL Baudelaire
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warm, welcoming, informative and entertaining - an enjoyable read, very much worthwhile for cis and trans readers to get an insight into some of the experiences of many trans people in the UK.
Friedrich Sarah E. Thompson
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This memoir was the exact thing I needed to see. Maybe I'll eventually figure out how to articulate how much this book meant to me, but for now, all I can say is thank you, Mia.
theStorykeeper
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, queer
CW: bullying, self-harm, narcissistic parents
Jaime Walker
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed reading this book, Mia takes the reader in such a personal journey which is both witty and at times heart wrenching.

Highly recommend this book!
Sue Summerill
Boring

This book just drags on and on and on. I have read several transgender books and this has to be the worst that I have read. Sorry but thumbs down for this book.
Rachel
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle
While everybody’s experiences of being trans is different, there seems to be a bunch of common truths too. Mia’s experiences are different to mine but still this book was very powerful to me. If you’re trans, know someone who’s trans or just curious about another facet of the human experience you should read this book.
Max
Nov 23, 2018
Rachael
rated it did not like it
Jul 10, 2019

• Trans Power: Own Your Gender
  • Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout
  • Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
  • Tomorrow Will Be Different: Love, Loss, and the Fight for Trans Equality
  • Queer Sex: A Trans and Non-Binary Guide to Intimacy, Pleasure and Relationships
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • Queer: A Graphic History
  • The Gender Games: The Problem with Men and Women, from Someone Who Has Been Both
  • Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • If I Was Your Girl
  • Trans Britain: Our Journey from the Shadows
  • Real Queer America: LGBT Stories from Red States
  • Transgender History
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
Mia Violet is a queer writer with a passion for exploring how to live a life of self-love and positivity. She also dabbles in public speaking, podcasting, and modelling. Her main drive is to help people feel better about themselves and their bodies, especially fellow trans people,

As a queer woman who suffers from body dysmorphic disorder, with a history of anxiety and self-loathing, she knows how
“from the outside we looked like a stereotypical heteronormative nuclear family. Later I ruined this image and queered everything to pieces” 0 likes
“A common effect of dysphoria is that it places a cap on your emotions and tricks you into confusing contentedness for happiness. It tells you that being numb and dissatisfied with everything is the normal way to be.” 0 likes