Start by marking “I Got the Christmas Spirit” as Want to Read:
I Got the Christmas Spirit

I Got the Christmas Spirit

In the same feel-good style of I Got the Rhythm, this exuberant picture book explores the joys of the holiday season, once again illustrated by award-winning artist Frank Morrison.

It's the most wonderful time of the year, and a mother and daughter are enjoying the sights and sounds of the holiday season. The little girl hears sleigh bells ringing and carolers singing. She
Published September 4th 2018 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about I Got the Christmas Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Got the Christmas Spirit

Abigail
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About the Christimas Spirit
A young girl and her mother enjoy the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of the holiday season in this exuberant Christmas picture-book. They join a chorus singing carols, eat some tasty roasted nuts, and visit Santa Claus. They also encounter the needy, something that clearly influences the girl, who arranges for a lovely surprise for a poor street family. In the end, the girl and her parents have the Christmas spirit, and will keep it in their hearts all year...

The second picture-book from auth
Jana
This time of year, it's not hard to find the spirit of Christmas in your daily round. The little girl finds it in the ringing of bells on the street, singing Christmas carols, eating roasted nuts, ice skating with her mother, and the tug at her heartstrings when she sees those that are less fortunate. The paintings that accompany the beautifully descriptive text are gorgeous. Young readers will be able to relate to the building excitement this little girl experiences and will enjoy sharing their ...more
Angie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
My Review: I picked this one up for Munchkin this year in hopes of conveying that Christmas is not all about getting gifts. Unfortunately, the subtle way the message is conveyed went right over Munchkin's head. We did talk about how helping others and enjoying the free parts of Christmas give us that special feeling but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. The colors and illustrations in this one are really bright and will keep young kids engaged and the story is short for this busy time of ye ...more
Jillian Heise
I am always in awe of Frank Morrison's illustrations. They are so celebratory and sweet, and this story brings to life the real spirit of giving we should all have during the holiday season.
Akoss
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
@Kidlitexchange #partner - I received a copy of this book from the Kidlitexchange network in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Releases 9/04/18

I often told my husband I wished we could celebrate Christmas all year. Of course he would roll his eyes because I'm always so extra about Christmas. So, imagine my joy when I read this picture and it made me feel like it was written especially for people like me?
The sentences are short and to the point. They are but full of life and
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to #kidlitexchange for sharing a review copy of this book!

I Got The Christmas Spirit is about a girl who has been keeping her spirit alive all year! She finally lets it out and goes out to share it with the world.

The use of senses to capture the Christmas spirit is a lot of fun. On the side of the main text there are words to describe the senses she is using to feel like spirit. My kids loved repeating the words like- Yum Yum! Ding Dong!

The illiustrations are beautiful! The details on eve
Christina Carter
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-excursion
Connie Schofield-Morrison and Frank Morrison make an incredible team and I am thrilled to have the chance to read another story featuring their infectiously exuberant little girl from their book, I Got the Rhythm. This time around she experiences the sensations of the Christmas spirit felt all around her in their family’s neighborhood. She can see it in the snow that falls and the sparkle of the beautiful lights. She can hear it in the ringing of the church bells, and the joyful sounds of the ca ...more
Margie
Outside early this morning, it's like the whole world is holding its breath. The dark and silence wrap around you like a comforting blanket. You wait. Anticipation is building. (For some it's been mounting for months.)

As the sky lightens, chickadees burst into song, flitting from branch to branch. For most days of the year, this is what these feathered friends do but today, Christmas Day 2018, their notes seem a bit higher and louder. They know. I Got the Christmas Spirit (Bloomsbury Children's
Tracy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the Kid Lit Exchange Network for the review copy. All opinions are my own.

This. Is. Adorable. A girl and her mother catch the Christmas spirit through the sights and sounds they encounter around town ("Ding, Dong Ding!" "Jingle, Jingle!" "Fa La La La La!"). Kids will love to chant and sing along with this merry book! Breathtaking illustrations bring the holiday season to life. It almost makes me ready in September. And for friends in search of more picture books featuring Black dads--t
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner – all opinions are my own.
Bright, vivid illustrations and lots of familiar sounds will draw young readers and storytime listeners into the story. Sparse, rhythmic text keeps us moving through the story of an exuberant, generous girl who ultimately leads others to help a family in need during the holiday season. This book will be great for storytime with young children – add some body percussion for active participation!
JennE
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the author of "I Got the Rhythm" is her newest rhythmic and beautifully illustrated Christmas book with incredible artwork of real people ( not just Caucasians). The little girl spreads the spirit of Christmas as she experiences the sights and sounds of the holiday; in the bells, the singing, the ice skating and in the end asks for "peace for all, good tidings and cheer; let's live the spirit of Christmas every day of the year."
Margie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple, heart-warming picture book about the true spirit of Christmas. This title shows an African-American girl with her mother in their neighborhood participating in different activities which show the spirit of Christmas. They put money in a kettle while the bell is rung, they hear carolers and sing along, they skate, visit with Santa Claus and bring that spirit to a poor family. The feel-good feelings permeate the story through the simple words and bright illustrations.
Robin
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Frank Morrison is one of my favorite illustrators and his painterly illustrations in this book are full of joy and life. The text is simple and easy to read aloud, but something doesn't quite click when the two are combined- maybe the words and sounds are too simple for the story they are trying to tell? Why is Santa mad? [Also- total missed opportunity for a picture book with a black Santa]. Ages 2-5.
Anthony
A young girl wakes up to the spirit of the season. As she goes about her day she sees, hears, feels, and shares her spirit of the season in everything she does,and every one she sees. She wishes the spirit of the season and peace to all and that the spirit of the season is lived everyday of the year.
Mely
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautifully illustrated book. Big, bright and vibrant pictures accompany this Christmas spirit-filled story. The story itself is fairly average. But I think if you're looking for a short, simple, and sweet book to read with the littles, this one will fit the bill just right. Love the racial diversity of the characters.
Jillian
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A really sweet (and beautifully illustrated) story about the "Spirit of Christmas" that more people need to catch.

(Also reminds me VERY much of the way my mum explained Santa Claus to me when the time came. Not as a person, but as the literal "spirit" of Christmas that makes you want to do nice things for people.)
Margaret Boling
1/1/2019 ~ I wanted to like this one more, I really did. I just never felt the vibrancy that I felt from the original. However, I did appreciate the cute girl in the story. :) I also enjoyed the sentiment that Christmas is more about giving to others than getting things for ourselves.
Ann Haefele
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations and simple text convey the true meaning of the Christmas season. Young readers might need an adult to help understand the message, but it is a joyful book that would make a great family read aloud.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
The little girl in these books is just so darling! I don't know if it would work for a storytime in my area since "the spirit" means something very specific in Utah Valley culture and they might get confused, haha, but I love this one for myself!
Megan
A little girl has the Christmas spirit on a beautiful snowy day.
Lupine
Super cute Christmas book == perfect for a toddler holiday story time.
Gwen Ayler
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Short and simple to share all the things that make up the Christmas Spirit.
Lynn
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read in F&G. LOVED this story that made me want to dance. Illustrations are adorable!
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-at-heart
LOVED the oil on canvas paintings. The spirit of Christmas is throughout the book.
Kary
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the illustrations!
Kevin Summers
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sample quote: "Peace for all, good tidings,and cheer--let's live the spirit every day of the year."
Kelly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely Christmas time book.
Raven Black
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the illustrations, the wording can be a smidgen awkward. The true meaning of Christmas is told by a spunky little narrator.
Lisa
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The short text compliments the bright illustrations, large enough to read to a class. For my full review, visit http://kissthebookjr.blogspot.com
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Connie Schofield-Morrison is a mother, author, and entrepreneur. She spent most of her childhood reading and writing poetry, songs, and fairy tales.

At the age of 19, Connie married her high school sweetheart Frank D. Morrison, a professional dancer. In 1999 Frank & Connie started their online art gallery, Morrison Graphics, which opened as a physical gallery in 2005 in the Old Fourth Ward of A