Start by marking “The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt: A Tyranny of Truth” as Want to Read:
The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt: A Tyranny of Truth

The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt: A Tyranny of Truth

For Persepolis and Logicomix fans, a New Yorker cartoonist's page-turning graphic biography of the fascinating Hannah Arendt, the most prominent philosopher of the twentieth century.

One of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century and a hero of political thought, the largely unsung and often misunderstood Hannah Arendt is best known for her landmark 1951 book on
Published September 25th 2018 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt

Start your review of The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt: A Tyranny of Truth
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
I received the Advance Reading Copy in the mail from the publisher....
Many thanks to Nicole at Bloomsbury Publishing. I requested a physical copy rather than an ebook given that it’s a graphic biography.
It’s fascinating....and ‘for me’....the best part of this book is how much it opened my eyes to Hannah Arendt. I admit not knowing much about her, and this book was the perfect introduction. But besides learning a great deal, and being really enriching...its chirpy & perky, too. Incredible
David Schaafsma
“Whatever I do, I am unable to avert my eyes from the reality of the world around me”—Hannah Arendt

“As fire lives on oxygen, so the fire of totalitarianism lives on untruth”—Hannah Arendt

I absolutely love this comics biography of Arendt, a philosopher who called herself a political theorist, a writer whose work doesn’t fit easily into categories, an activist, and who is/was perhaps best known for her relationship with one of the great philosophers of the twentieth century, Martin Heidegger. As
emma
I WISH MY FEELINGS ON THIS WEREN'T SO MIXED.

what i was hoping to get out of this, and what it seemed like i would get out of this, was a half biography/half philosophical summary/all graphic novel fun bonanza. in some ways, i did get that. but also what i got was way more biography than philosophy, to the point that the philosophy explanations felt rushed and crammed in, and also so so so so many footnotes with tiny text and weird grammar.

it made my head hurt. (both trying to understand huge
Rod Brown
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
OMG, the name dropping! The first half of the book is less a story of Arendt than a list of every famous person she ever met. Talk about defining a woman by the men in her life! During the second half this slows down a little bit, but the author still seems pretty intent on mentioning every famous person of Jewish descent who lived during the twentieth century, shoehorning in Lou Reed and Jerry Lewis among others in footnotes and cameos, and, sure, I'd read that book if he cared to go all in on ...more
Julie Ehlers
As hard as I try, I cannot see a monster in the glass booth. I see a bore, a careerist former vacuum cleaner salesman spouting empty sales pitches. He's ordinary, which makes his crimes even more horrible than a Frankenstein fantasy.

Arendt was really onto something with the whole "banality of evil" thing.

As far as I can recall, I have no experience with Hannah Arendt's actual writing, and before reading Three Escapes I knew very little about her life, so I can't offer a good opinion on whether
Colin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this very disappointing. Its badly drawn and badly put-together with not enough substance. Her thoughts are given hardly any airing compared to her chain-smoking and sex with Heidegger. Most annoying of all, it's overloaded with footnotes explaining each person or word mentioned. OK, maybe that's helpful when you're introducing some little-known philosopher or painter, but at one point, in 1939, when Poland is invaded, he mentions Hitler and there's a footnote explaining that this is ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
“Arguably the greatest philosopher of the 20th century,” the author suggests, “who renounced philosophy.” So she was like the Bobby Fischer of philosophy hehe.

Hannah Arendt, like the German philosopher Immanuel Kant, was from Koenigsberg, East Prussia. As a child she was precocious. She wanted to “understand everything” so she read all of Kant’s books, as he was “the smartest man ever” and not only the books Kant wrote, but also the books Kant had read. She also became obsessed with the Greek
Emily
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was... interesting.

I enjoyed the art style quite a bit. I read the ARC, which was entirely in black and white, but the final version still takes a fairly minimalist approach to color (some images have splashes of green and brown, but otherwise the book is still B&W). I liked the sketches, the smudges, the messiness of the art.

I have a basic understanding of 20th Century European philosophy, but oh man so much of this still went over my head. And mY GOODNESS the name dropping. I
Dustin
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this and learned some things. Arendt is fascinating, apparently present for many of the 20th century's biggest moments, and this graphic novel is a good intro.
Holly
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Loved this. I recently read Sabrina - another graphic novel that is on some year's best lists (and Booker long list?) and was really disappointed with the bland drawings and genderless, affectless people and cultural isolation-subject matter. It left me cold. By contrast, Krimstein's book checked off every box when it comes to what I want in a graphic novel: intricate drawings that I may have to linger over to catch nuance; historical significance; philosophical and/or scientific information; ...more
Lindsey
The thing I like best about this book is that it leads me to so many questions, and it has a great list for further reading. It was interesting to learn about Arendt’s work in a context of her as philosopher-first; however, I found the author’s writing to be so-so, and I found a factual error in a footnote (blaming Cecile B. DeMille for Birth of a Nation, which, as far as I know, he was not involved with—maybe the author was thinking of D.W. Griffith). That sounds nit-picky, but I know old ...more
Suzy
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have long been intrigued with Hannah Arendt even though I only know the barest outlines of her life and philosophy. So when I saw this graphic biography, I jumped on it! In The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt, we learn about Arendt's life in three segments, from her childhood in Germany to her death in the United States. Krimstein shows us how she focused on learning the truth from a very young age and how her philosophy about truth and human nature evolved over the years through her ...more
Narwhal
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
-I forgot how much I love graphic novels (or “comics”). Visual mediums are so much easier to absorb and have more room of observation and interpretation (which I imagine arendt would approve of)

-the graphics themselves. Messy and the lines make it look like things are moving. Looks like a storyboard strip for a movie.

-it made me want to be a child philosopher genius prodigy who eats up a ton of books

-I just really appreciated learning about Hannah arendt. What an intriguing person.

-the way
Miglė
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018, comics
A great biography of Hannah Arendt.
It's drawn in an easy, attractive style (I personally didn't find coloring very pleasing, but it fits the mood of the book), also, the material is dense and I couldn't read it in one sitting.
Her personal story is explored minutely on two levels, representing two conflicts: Hannah's battle with antisemitism on the narrative level, and her battle with Heidegger's influence and his conception of truth on the level of ideas. (Heidegger is really evil, btw!)
Simply
C.
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I think this is my favorite graphic novel
Peacegal
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will admit to not really knowing Arendt before picking up this book. I wasn't a huge fan of the scribbly art style, but this graphic bio did exactly what it sets out to do, which is teach the reader a great deal.
Roy
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is worse than a comic book/Cliff Notes version of War and Peace. In that sense, at least it gives people who have never heard of Arendt an introduction to Arendt.
I'm not sure how much of Arendt's work the author actually read. He appears to have read the secondary literature, but I doubt he's read "Totalitarianism."
After reading this graphic-novel biography, I was afraid I missed something. I read three on-line book reviews to check myself. The reviews describe it basically as snappy or
Kim
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The philosopher and writer Hannah Arendt is portrayed in this graphic biography with verve, passion, intellect, and power. Her life and "three escapes" run through some of the most climactic events of the last 100 years, and her fierce, free-thinking shines. This book will definitely send me on a trajectory of more works by and about Arendt. Fascinating!
Frederico
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked but not loved this biography. My favorite aspect in this book was the pacing and the plotting of the story. It gathers momentum and finishes triumphantly. The device of the three escapes works very well as a frame. But I found the art problematic, in that I found it really sloppy that the same drawing is utilized repeatedly, just cut and paste into another panel, maybe the drawing is mirrored or re-sized, but there's no love for cartooning here. I love different line stroke widths, but ...more
Milley
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Wendy
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I wandered into a bookshop this weekend and surrendered to my browsing, knowing that if there was a book for me to read, it would make itself known. Ken Krimstein's book sang out.

This was the right book for me in these dark days.
Hannah Arendt, Thinker and truth sayer. BRILLIANT woman.
I am a fan.

This is a graphic novel that takes us through Arendt's life history and her devotion to THINKING; her
Keen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
“The only thing free about your fellow French is they’ll freely hand you over to the Nazis.”

There are some obvious comparisons to be made between Arendt and Rosa Luxemburg, two highly intelligent, bold and exceptional Jewish women who were born and grew up in Eastern Europe. Both would never shy away from controversy and both would go onto make a name for themselves creating a huge impact well beyond their inauspicious beginnings.

This has its funny moments, and certainly provides some thorough
Tom
An interesting introduction to Hannah Arendt is what I would like to say about this graphic novel. Honestly though, there are obvious and glaring problems with the story. For one, it's rife with unnecessary namedropping, which distracts from the star of the show: Hannah Arendt! So what that she encountered a bunch of semi-famous men! It is of no further importance to the story, and Arendt herself has done more than enough to not be defined by the people she meets.

Secondly, it's just a bit of a
Erin
I struggled a bit in the philosophical weeds here, but not so much that I didn't enjoy this graphic biography of Arendt. She is rendered in green against a grayscale background of about a thousand illustrious thinkers and persons, many with German and/or Jewish names, and several who have more than one name. So Hannah stands out and is easy to follow even though the people around her are much more difficult to distinguish. The footnotes help.

Her philosophical journey was not uninteresting, but
Dakota Morgan
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt is a needlessly tough, largely fascinating read. Needlessly tough because the art and format makes it difficult to follow the actual flow of Arendt's life. Largely fascinating because, damn it, Arendt was cool! She lived a wild life, had grand ideas, and worked with deeply interesting people. One of the ways in which The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt shines is in it's footnote biographies of key figures Arendt encountered. I feel like I have a better grasp of ...more
Barbara McEwen
I went into this not knowing about this fascinating woman. She is strong and smart and her life is quite interesting. I am not sure I know a lot about her beliefs now though, this book is sort of a teaser or primer. As other reviewers note, there is a lot of name dropping, and it does take away from Hannah's story a bit, but I mean, what a time. Part of her life is having pastries with famous people shooting the shit. I liked the illustrations but didn't love them. I did enjoy all the splashes ...more
Miranda
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Great introductory biography about Arendt, but could have eased up on the name-dropping. It seems like that Arendt was only obsessed about Heidegger. The book says a lot regarding her relations with others, but fails to take into account much of her intellectual developments. The basics of why she writes what are there. I thought there would be more to it than that.
Tim
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 3.5. A decent introduction to Arendt and her work, but there seemed to be more emphasis placed on her personal life and name-dropping famous people she knew than on actually grappling with her ideas and their relevance for society today. Also I found the Americanisms a bit distracting, and quite frankly the drawing style wasn't great - or at least, it wasn't to my personal taste.
Antonio Delgado
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great illustrated introduction to the complex but accessible thoughts of the great Hannah Arendt. This text brings Arendt’s urgent and imperative need of thinking to an untrained reader of philosophy or political science. It brings her words back to the public space, rescuing her from the ivory tower of academic pedantry.
Shoshanna
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting comics bio about Hannah Arendt! Her world was very Jewey but also very male. :/ I wish I had a review that made me sound smarter but just know, it's definitely worth checking out, she was quite an interesting figure in history and philosophy and political science! <3
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Belonging: A German Reckons with History and Home
  • Rx
  • O Josephine!
  • Off Season
  • The Song Of Aglaia
  • Drawn To Berlin: Comic Workshops In Refugee Shelters And Other Stories From A New Europe
  • Hobo Mom
  • Home After Dark
  • Grass
  • Berlin
  • Cassandra Darke
  • La morte indifferente. Proust nel gulag
  • Letter to Survivors
  • Moi aussi je voulais l'emporter
  • Bezimena
  • Sabrina
  • Passing for Human: A Graphic Memoir
  • The Lie And How We Told It
KEN KRIMSTEINS cartoons have been published in the New Yorker, Punch, National Lampoon, the Wall Street Journal, Narrative, three of S. Grosss cartoon anthologies, King Features The New Breed syndicated panel, Cosmopolitan, Science, Psychology Today, and more. He has written for New York Observers New Yorkers Diary and has published pieces on humor websites, including McSweeneys Internet Tendency, ...more
“From beyond the grave,
Hannah says that although living in the world of plurality and natality is no picnic, if we want to avoid Auschwitz or the Gulag or Stonewall or Pol Pot or Attica or ISIS, we as a species have no choice but to embrace it and endure it.

In other words, there is no single answer, no single bullet of understanding to guide us, just a glorious neverending mess. The neverending mess of true human freedom.”
0 likes
“If we turn Eichmann into a demonic monster, we somehow absolve him of his crime, and all of us of our potential crime, the crime of not thinking things through.

The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
0 likes