Start by marking “Bad Friends” as Want to Read:
Bad Friends

Bad Friends

Starred review from Publishers Weekly:

Told with arresting honesty and strength, this graphic novel conjures a grim vision of growing up in late-1990s South Korea. Rebelling against her abusive father and teachers who routinely beat her, 16-year-old Pearl smokes, slacks off at school, and runs with the bad-girls crowd. Yet her situation is well-adjusted compared to her fell
Published October 16th 2018 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Friends

Start your review of Bad Friends
David Schaafsma
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading a memoir at least partly about cruel physical abuse, I now read Korean-born artist Ancco's autobiographical fiction of two girls. The main character is Pearl, who looks back on her chaotic adolescence, where she was wild, stayed out late, and was beaten constantly and brutally by her father, who she admits didn't know how to help her as she became, for several years, "bad." She was beaten by teachers, by school bullies, and when she leaves home with a woman she becomes friends with ...more
Rod Brown
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Told from the perspective of an adult South Korean cartoonist reflecting upon her adolescence, this story by an adult South Korean cartoonist gives the impression of autobiography but is apparently fiction.

Pearl and Jeong-ae are two teenage girls who have been deemed juvenile delinquents by family, classmates and teachers. In a culture steeped in domestic violence and corporal punishment, the authority figures and men in their lives either believe frequent and severe beatings will fix the girls
Yuna Lee
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
amazing.
Anita Fajita Pita
WiT

Oof. This black and white graphic about some pivotal years of young South Korean girls - mc Pearl, her "bad" friends: Jeong-Ae and the rest of the crowd, will take you into dark places. Pearl is now a cartoonist, and this book is her reflecting on her troubled youth in shadowed back alleys, deserted door stoops, shitty schools, and messy homes where girls like Pearl are beaten by seemingly every adult for all of their deviant behaviour.

Jeong-Ae's house, where her mother is never home and her
K.W. Colyard
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Han Kang, Min Jin Lee, and Crystal Hana Kim have given us their own unique glimpses into the Korean peninsula's history and present, but few novels of South Korea have gone to so dark a place as Ancco's semi-autobiographical work, Bad Friends. This brief, striking vision of South Korea's early Sixth Republic presents a side of the country rarely seen in the West, one driven by alcohol, drugs, and prostitution.

K-pop fans, beware. Bad Friends will shatter your illusions of a bubbly, happy South Ko

kerrycat
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
absolutely unbelievable - the acceptance of abuse in this culture (for whatever reason) is unbelievable. the beatings at home are one thing, but the teachers, authorities, and the men (complete strangers) beating on girls as if they have every right to do so, and no one offers to help? I seriously just shook my head as I read this. the expressiveness of the girls' faces is really exceptional and conveys exactly their fears, sorrow, and ultimately acceptance, which is so sad.
Sandy Plants
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health, comics
The story was VERY hard to follow (am I slow??) but it was BEAUTIFUL and so worth the confusion.
Shayna Ross
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
What makes a friend good or bad? When you make a bad decision due to the influence of your friend, is it solely on the friend for being a bad influence? Bad Friends analyzes these questions with a story that is a little painful and a little raw, but very telling.

Sixteen-year-old Pearl lives in South Korea during the late-1990s in a relatively privileged life with a family and roof over her head until she became friends with Jeong-ae, who lives in poverty. Now running with the "bad girls," Pearl
Carrian Troxler
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didnt really like it. Maybe something's were lost in translation? Not for me.
erica
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
After first seeing Ancco’s book featured on display at Drawn & Quarterly’s store front in Montreal, I read it in a single sitting while perusing a small indie comic shop in Vancouver.

Ancco’s sparse language is paired with fine pencil drawing in this graphic novel. Both of these have heavy and weighted effects. Ancco doesn’t filter her work through humour or rose coloured glasses, offering readers a stark glimpse of a childhood/teenager years filled with physical abuse, transformative friendship
Presley
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel made me a little depressed because of the subject matter but the art is superb. The inkiness reflects the dark times that Pearl goes through in her adolescence. There’s a lot of self-introspection that goes on, and a lot of it has to do with Pearl’s childhood friend, with whom she had dreams. The adults in this book are awful, thinking that violence will rehabilitate a child’s bad behaviour. Personally, I think that Pearl just needed someone to be kind to her.
Karl
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. A harrowing tale of violence, abuse, pain, and turmoil. Not sure I could really find a silver lining other than the resilience of Pearl to overcome these multitude levels of abuse. Be prepared for brutal and stark cartooning mixed with haunting, almost distant artwork. The kind of portrayal that makes child abuse common. Powerful
Danielle
The story was alright, but I found it a little difficult to follow at times. It kind of jumped around, which I wasn't a fan of. I did like that it focused on female friendship over time, but this didn't really stick with me.
tinaathena
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seemingly flawless translation. The foreground details were so well done that they felt like my own memories. The crude faces really added to the horror of some of the people's actions. The plain storytelling made this all the more bleak.
Sharlene
Wow this book was really brutal and, to be honest, quite depressing.

Why read it then?

What made me borrow this book was because it’s a translated comic, and one from Korea. I haven’t read many Korean comics, and this was a rare one on the library shelves.

The story is told from the perspective of 16-year-old Pearl, growing up in the 1990s in a poor neighbourhood in Seoul, South Korea. Her father is abusive, but then so is nearly every relative in the building she lives in, who treat her like a pun
Hollowspine
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stark, often monotone, drawings reflect the brutal realities faced by main character, Pearl, in this graphic novel depicting life in 1990's South Korea. Pearl seems at first a typical child, but after she endures abuse at home and at school she turns to the one place she feels welcomed and normal, the 'bad girls' crowd at school. Soon she and her best friend are running away and trying to make a life for themselves, though they are still only teenagers with no real options.

The story is told
Romany
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve read anything like this before. Growing up in Korea, two girls have terrible early lives. They find solace in each other sometimes. At other times... not so much.
More Bedside Books
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Friendships formed for specific points of our lives, whether dissolving as easily as they arose or, ending in regrettable ways always add something to our lives, sometimes lingering well beyond our last encounter. The Korean comic Bad Friends by Ancco charts a circuitous path from the forged friendship of two teenagers Pearl and Jeong-Ae together as classmates, delinquents, runaways and hostesses, to eventual sudden separation.

Pearl grows up in an environment where abuse is around every corner,
Jeanette Paak
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went to the bookstore just to browse and found this one. I didn’t know what to expect but man I left there with feeling...a lot of feelings.

The story takes place in Korea and the narrator/main character (Pearl) mainly focuses and talks about her best friend (Jeong-ae) from high school.
Jeong-ae has an abusive alcoholic father and a mother who is never home. She has seen and dealt with the worse kind of abuse.
She introduces Pearl to her messy world and they run away together for one night. An
George K. Ilsley
I’m calling it a fictional memoir because the main character is a cartoonist. A gruelling story of violence and abuse which made me wonder about life in Korea — is domestic violence (parents, teachers, friends) really so commonplace? The narrative thrust here was more of a gritty mosaic than an arc — the story wanders and jumps around. Almost everyone is horrible to each other. There is a pot in the tree. Smoking gets you beaten. Friends disappear.
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Max Loh
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TW: Violence. This was a depressing read because Ancco draws very deeply from her lived experience, which, if this book is anything to go by, was really tough and messy growing up. Bad Friends is a book length reflection and recollection of her childhood friendships, and how her own life could have taken a different turn if her luck ran out despite playing the cards which she had been dealt in life the best she could. Her deceptively simple linework manages to capture these moments of great emot ...more
Vel Veeter
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an absolutely heartbreaking and gorgeous graphic novel by a Korean artist. I will post a picture to close off this post to give you a sense of it. The art is absolutely haunting, and the art style is a lot like Akira, without the body horror and technology. The story involves a young woman who is kicked out of her house for being queer by an abusive father, and forced to find her way in the emptiness of her city, and like a lot of abandoned youth falls into sex work/trafficking. But it’s ...more
Layla Hussain
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 actually.

Very slow story-telling. This is supposed to be a graphic novel, which means it should have short dialogues that are on point in order to avoid distracting the reader’s attention.
It was also full of tautology and i was bored & annoyed with the repetitive information most of the times. However, I can’t fully blame the author for that because this is a translated book.

The drawing was amazing though and it suited the vibe of the story very well (it’s the main reason why Im giving this
Gemma
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book hard-hitting at times, but thats the point I guess. Really poignant and well written, with just the right amount of detail. I found sometimes that the way the story was being told got me a bit mixed up with who the narrator was referring to in certain scenes, but apart from that it was a good read overall.
Kelli
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was hard for me as I think I connected with the scenic art more than the story itself an how it was told? It was hard to connect to, for me at least. The near-constant abuse from not just family but seemingly all elders/men/people in a position of authority was painful to witness and I'm very glad the author shared this story in the way they did though.
Popzara Press
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
"Can be hard to read thanks to the abuse it touches on, but it’s a great friendship story that’s not bad at all."

Read full review at Popzara Press.
Jacinta Carter
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for black and white drawings in comic books, but the storyline in this one wasn't always easy to follow. It seemed to jump around from past to present at random and frequently repeated sequences with just a slight shift in perspective.
Stephanie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Powerful, heartbreaking, at times a little confusing. The drawings are incredible, and the amount of abuse and acceptance in this culture was devastating. I can already see this will be case where I will continue to get more out of the story the more I read it.
Kelly
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is a cultural gap here for me as this is a book translated from the Korean, and I probably didn't attend to it enough, but I found this book a bit hard to follow. I also felt disconnected from the characters. Ultimately, not for me.

• Brat
  • Alienation
  • Girl Town
  • Flocks
  • The Lie And How We Told It
  • Is This How You See Me?
  • Passing for Human: A Graphic Memoir
  • Moi aussi je voulais l'emporter
  • Coyote Doggirl