Start by marking “Home and Away” as Want to Read:
Home and Away

Home and Away

Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior, she's got great friends, and a supportive and wealthy family. She even plays football as the only girl on her private high school's team.

But when she catches her mamma trying to stuff a mysterious box in the closet, her identity is suddenly called into question. Now Tasia’s determined to unravel the lies that have
Published October 16th 2018 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Home and Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home and Away

Candice Montgomery
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: lol-i-wrote-this
I wrote this dirty little love letter to being young, Black and female. I kinda like it. Hope you do too. 🌻
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ page 49

I am absolutely not the ideal reader for this book. I was sent an unsolicited ARC of this book and despite having a really busy schedule of review copies I requested lately, I wanted to give it a try because I was incredibly appreciative of the publisher sending this to me, but I think I'm past the age of being able to deal with cranky YA contemporary protagonists being hateful to their families. I get that she's shocked by learning about this big "twist" in her family, but the way
Chasia Lloyd
Got to beta this beauty and it is a grand kick to the teeth with the complexities of family, friendship, and romantic love. can't wait for the finish copy 😭😭😭
Kayla Brunson
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I really don’t know where my rating stands on this one. I’m stuck really at a 3.5 but I’m going to stay at 3 stars. While this book really did touch on some good subjects, I was either confused or annoyed the other times I was reading.

Tasia character needed a pat on the back while at the same time needed a good slap across the face. The way she handled certain situations didn’t really sit well with me. I get her whole world collapsed but that really didn’t excuse her actions. Especially when it
Jazmen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I often get caught up in stories and covers that reflect so many of the faces and stories of people I know, people that look like me.

I can’t say that Home and Away was any different. The cover featured a black girl and the first line of the synopsis described her as “young, fabulous and black.”

I was in.

But I have some disappointments/dislikes along with some likes.

Tasia Quirk’s character reminded me a lot of Starr in T.H.U.G.

Seemingly balancing their blackness between two worlds. Dangling betwe
Dahlia
Just realized I never put my official author blurb in here, so! “Tasia Quirk is bold, funny, talented, passionate, vulnerable, fierce, and just plain fabulous. Get ready to meet your new favorite YA heroine in Taze, and your new favorite YA voice in Candice Montgomery.” – Dahlia Adler, author of Just Visiting

Seriously though, the voice, the raw emotion, the romance, the football-playing heroine...I love this book and I'm so, so excited for the next one already.
Mary H
Sep 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-august-tbr, arc
GIVE ME ALL THE GIRL FOOTBALL PLAYER BOOKS.
Mandy
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
**I received an ARC of this - thank you so much to Page Street Publishing but it didn't change my opinion at all**

I highs and lows with this novel, and I'm not sure what to do with myself. There were things that I really liked, but there were parts that had me frustrated. I even thought about bringing out my Elsa rating at some points, because I felt so conflicted about it (Elsa is my rating for books that I literally cannot figure out a proper crown rating because I can never figure out my true
Roxanne
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tasia is enjoying her life, a cornerback for a great team until one night everything in her life falls apart. I was going to spoil the heck out of the book, but I went back to check the synopsis before I just charged ahead and I am glad I did, because they didn't give it away and neither will I. So now my challenge is how to talk about this book without ruining it!

Okay first I am not a football fan, but I thought it was super cool that Tasia played football and went about playing in such a way
Heatherblakely
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, own, signed
I was 17 or 18 when I found out my dad wasn’t actually my father and I was actually biracial. I couldn’t find out anymore information because my mother was already dead, and no one is allowed to tell me how to feel about this book because it is a book of my heart.
Mel Howard
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Home and Away and decided I HAD to write a review for this fantastic book. There won’t be any spoilers in this review except for me stating explicitly the main character’s discovery about their identity, but it’s revealed pretty early in the book. If you still would like it be a secret, I’ll put *POTENTIAL SPOILER* before the paragraph in question.
First, let’s talk about the sports aspect since I was the most apprehensive about that part. I had already planned
ak
Jul 08, 2019 added it
I loved this as I knew I would!! There's so much heart in this book. I love it.
Tanya Tate
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as dnf
I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.

DNF @100 pages

I have zero desire to go back to this. It did started off strong with a little " The Hate U Give vibes" but then I started not to like the main character even when I though she had the makings of being a good one. I wanted to be in her side about finding something that could change her life but the way she went about it was just straight childish. So I have been trying to go b
M
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this beautiful book. The writing was amazing, the story *real* and human and full of complexities. I loved the layered characters, the deeply complex family and friendship dynamics and I adored the love the main characters shared with each other, no matter how frail or complicated their connection might be at times.

Plus, the questions and feelings and problems surrounding the simple request for honesty were incredible. Perfect and relatable and *real*. Very recommended.
Amy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tasia's life is turned upside down when a box is mailed to her and she catches her mother trying to hide it. The box contains information that her mother has never told her--that he father is not actually her biological father and that her biological father was never told about her. Upset by the lies she has been told, Tasia tracks down her biological father and then decides to live with him. Family secrets are the messiest and there are no clear cut fixes to this situation. Can Tasia reconcile ...more
Emily
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fiction
This is for sure one of those YA novels that is tough to read as an adult; I swear I spent half of it mentally going "wait, slow down, handle this better, don't rush to judgment, try and understand --" at the main character. Some pretty intense stuff happens to Tasia, and as much as she talks tough you don't forget that she's a kid who is only just learning how to handle this kind of thing. That's frustrating at times but I gotta admire Montgomery for not giving her a neat and tidy road to under ...more
Kimberly
This book asked the question of what do you do when you learn that your entire sense of self - your familial and racial identities - have been predicated on a lie? When Tasia Quirk discovers that the man she has called Daddy her entire life is not her biological father, her entire world begins to unravel. Compounding the lie she has grown up believing is the fact that her actual biological father is white, and the man she thought was her father is black. Tasia has to figure out who she is and wh ...more
Mary Fan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Loved Tasia’s voice, loved the memorable supporting cast, loved the emotional rawness, loved how the story unflinchingly depicted tough and complex issues in Tasia’s life...
Victoria
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
2/5 Stars **

Review to come.
Zezee
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I didn’t expect to enjoy this book as much as I did partly because of its genre and partly because of what the story is about. I immediately assumed it would focus a lot on football, which sort of turned me off, but I’m glad the mention of the mysterious box caught and held me and made me give the story a chance.

It’s the mystery that kept me reading. The more I learned, the more I wondered who sent the box, which contains much information about Tasia throughout her life, and what the sender’s mo
Natalie
Wow I really loved this debut. I was so lucky to win an ARC and very quickly fell in love with Tasia "Taze" Quirk our black girl football playing MC. It's all told from her POV and damn my feelings took a hit. They were allll over the place because Taze is going through some internal turmoil after some truths about herself come to light.

Taze by herself is such an amazing character. So well fleshed out. But then we see Taze interacting with others and damn i love a messy, makes mistakes all over
Jessie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
I appreciate how much Tasia was allowed to be angry here, the ways in which she defined what forgiveness needed to look like for her in different relationships.

Siblings <3 Tristan was one of my favorite characters. Trying to understand Tasia but not always doing it, feeling what he feels even though he knows it's not what Tasia intended, slowly initiating texts about random other things, all the lists.

I also really loved the dynamics among Tasia, Dahlia, and Victory. I didn't like Dahlia, and
Denise
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. The premise is really interesting, and it was great to have a protagonist talk out loud about some of the issues a lot of black women are afraid to vocalize really acknowledge outside of their circles. However, and this could be the fact that I'm way older than the protagonist, but I kept getting hung up on just how privileged Tasia was. She admits is, freely, but when she finds out this earth-shattering secret, she kind of jumps in to the mystery of it, guns-b ...more
Weston Humphreys
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book wrecked me in the best way possible. Anybody who enjoys feeling things should pick this up. What things? All of them, every feeling. Heartbreak, pride, gratitude, and fear.

“Home and Away” explores issues surrounding identity and belonging in a profound and personal way.

I can tell this story is going to be with me for a very long time.
Linor David
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this book has legs, lots of interesting characters, some romance, some angst, the main character is just this super cool football playing high school girl with so much going for her. Her search for her identity seemed like a bit of a stretch at time, but was also a driving force in the book. I liked Tasia a lot, I rooted for her the whole way through, and I think it would be hard not to.
Julia Marie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. HOME AND AWAY brings together the complexities of identity in really excellent ways that I know teens need, because I could’ve used this book when I was one. Really looking forward to what Montgomery puts out next!
Lauren
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Really good premise and themes, especially the intersectionality of identity, but the prose moved too fast and jumbled for me. I found myself wishing the novel would linger on scenes and descriptions a bit longer to keep me grounded.
Kim Trusty
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A few adult reviewers have been a bit harsh with this book. Tasia is a teenager. She acts, and reacts, like a teenager and Montgomery has done a stellar job of presenting that here. Super enjoyable. And just enough football to make it believable, without making me want to gouge my eyes out.
Dobie9 Library
What do you do when you find out that the genetic background you have grounded your identity in, is only half right? This novel is one girl’s soul searching journey into discovering where she truly belongs.
Kirsti Call
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, complex, thought provoking.

FYI: Not appropriate for a young teen...

• Fire Song
  • Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America
  • Here to Stay
  • Color Me In
  • God Loves Hair
Candice Montgomery is an LA transplant now residing in Seattle. By night, she writes YA lit about Black teens across all their intersections. By day, she teaches ballet to teen boys and works in the land of sobriety and rehab. It is the goal of her stories to interrogate the spaces of race, love, the body, and sexuality, all while being a witness of life.
She is represented by Jim McCarthy of Dyste