Start by marking “Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology” as Want to Read:
Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology

Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology

(Chronicles of the Black Gate 0.4)

With an introduction by Mark Lawrence, author of Prince of Thorns and Red Sister.

Hidden pasts. Secrets untold. Legends half-remembered. Fifteen fantasy writers gather to bring fifteen tales to life, each one a unique glimpse into a wholly original world.

On the Emerald Road, a dead Sage triggers a brutal trial beneath the forest floor. There, a young man must fight--and kil
Published January 15th 2018 by Terrible Ten

To ask other readers questions about Lost Lore, please sign up.
Dyrk Ashton We are the Singularity. We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

(to be honest, I just don't remember ;)

Petrik
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by the editor in exchange for an honest review

A good anthology comprised of 16 short stories written by some of the most well-known indie fantasy authors. Plus, it’s FREE!

Let me first say that you can get this book for FREE on Amazon. Okay, one more time, for FREE!! Until when? Forever! Regardless of my rating, you should download it to your Kindle immediately, because there’s absolutely no harm in doing so. Unless.. you don’t like free stuff… Anyway, on to the review.

Lost Lore: A F
J.P. Ashman
Nov 21, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Now FREE on Kindle, Kobo, iBooks etc. Don't miss out!

Super proud to be a part of this. I cannot wait to read the other stories in this anthology. It's been incredibly hard to know it's coming and not be able to read it all. Counting down the days - not long now!
Jody
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, kindle
"Some stories are short; anecdotes for the night-fires. Some are long, winding tales and glorious at their finish. Some are full of darkness. Others light. Others still are grey in their ambiguity."
Most of our stories are indistinguishable from the next. Unremarkable, was the word. Not everybody can have their name roared at roof-beams over the clash of tankards and foreheads. Few ever can have that honour, my father told me. Fewer still keep hold of it. For stories change with the writing and
Anton
A very-very delightful collection of short fiction from the new authors in the beloved fantasy/sword&sorcery genre. This book, effectively, is a 'tasting menu' of different worlds and writing styles. A great way to discover new authors to follow!

Great kudos to the editors/organisers of this release. This is an excellent job!

Other reviewers already noted the overall strength of this collection. It is unusually well rounded (for the anthology) and good quality throughout. Well worth your time
Samir
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my first anthology and the main reason I decided to give it try is because the majority of the authors were already on my radar and this was the perfect opportunity to get familiar with their writing. So, without further ado, here are my two cents.

No Fairytale by Ben Galley – 3.5 stars

An interesting story with intriguing characters. I enjoyed the setting and I really want learn more about this world and its magic. This story is basically a bridge between the Emanska series and the futu
Lukasz
The short story is a wonderful art-form entirely different from the novel. And yet, sometimes it's treated as an hors d’oeuvre, tasty but not as satisfying as a full meal. I guess that's one of the reasons anthologies aren't, in general, very popular.

Personally, I love the idea of anthologies. I've bought quite a few of them over the years, but I’m always left feeling a little disapointed with them. I tend to approach anthologies with high hopes and big appetite, expecting my mind to be blown a
Steven Kelliher
Dec 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Proud to be a part of an anthology that has taken about a year to come together in full.

I promise, for all readers of epic fantasy, dark fantasy and everything in between, this collection will blow your socks off.
Laura Hughes
Dec 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
I've read six of the other stories so far, and can already assure readers they're in for a treat! Can't wait to read the rest, and feel super lucky to have my own story in here alongside such amazingly talented friends and fellow authors.
Jon Adams
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This a great anthology. I liked every story in it and loved a few. Laura M. Hughes was my favorite, by far.
There was an average rating of 4.43, but I rounded up to 5 due Mark Lawrence's intro.

List:
JP Ashman - 5
David Benem - 3.5
Alec Hutson - 5
Dyrk Ashton
Thrilled to be a part of this. And dying to read everyone else's stories!
Justine
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always found anthologies to be something akin to one of those icebreaker sessions on the first day of school, where everyone gathers ‘round and introduces who they are and shares something interesting about themselves. You get the most minuscule idea of the person as a whole, but hey, they seem pretty cool, that’s my new best friend. Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology, superbly written and curated by fifteen indie authors who all participated in SPFBO, with an introduction by Mark Lawrence, is ...more
Timy
When I plunged into reading Lost Lore, I only knew two of the authors' work beforehand: Benedict Patrick, who clawed his way into my favorite authors list last year and Steven Kelliher. Others I heard about but haven't gotten around to read their work: Dyrk Ashton, T. L. Greylock, Timandra Whitecastle, Michael R. Miller, Ben Galley, Phil Tucker. I looked forward to read their stories, and discover some new authors to keep my eyes on. Thankfully, this book give me plenty of them: Laura M. Hughes, ...more
Richard Nell
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this. As with most anthologies some didn't work for me, others I savored, but then that's the beauty of so many stories/writers together. I should also note that this was my first experience with most of the writers, save for T.L. Greylock (read 1 book), and Ben Galley (his story in Art of War anthology). Yet again, my TBR has grown more monstrous. My top 5:

5. And they were never heard from again - Benedict Patrick

A sort of dark fairytale. I enjoyed the characters and prose, bu
Rae
Feb 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Reading this as part of a readalong :)
Invited by the one and only Benedict Patrick, Thank you by the way!!
Join us : Lost Lore Readalong
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, anthologies
This was great collection that enabled me to check out some of the authors I have been wanting to try and just haven’t gotten around to. While all of these stories were good, like with all anthologies there were some I liked better or thought were more suited to short story form than others which makes it a bit hard to rate, so I am going to go somewhere in the middle- think of it as a 3.5 (this is when that half star would be helpful) since I liked everything but didn't love everything.
Also I
T.L.
Dec 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Can't wait to share this!
Michael
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy
Recommended to Michael by: Michael R Miller
I received an early copy of this anthology from one of its authors for an honest review. This is a free anthology! That's right, FREE! so there's no reason why people shouldn't wish to give this a try.

To be honest, this collection didn't impress me as much as the Art of War anthology did. The stories were okay but mostly 3 stars or less (in my opinion).
The exception to these were my favourites as follows:-

Paternus: Deluge by Dyrk Ashton. As the title suggests it is from his Paternus world and d
Ben Galley
Nov 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm thrilled to be part of this anthology, and I can't wait to dig my teeth into the rest of the stories!
T.O. Munro
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My fondness for anthologies dates back to my early reading days when first “The Ten Tales of Shellover” and then a translation of the Dutch classic “King of The Copper Mountains” kept me enthralled from one night’s reading to the next. In Lost Lore we have an eclectic mix of very different tales by very different writers, that still kept me devouring stories at a more rapid rate than the one a night of my childhood.

Lost Lore kept me entertained and frantically noting many lines that charmed, or
Kristen
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review is here, on my blog!

I’d say it’s not often that I find an anthology in which I like every story presented, or at least not dislike any of them, but I find that this is happening more and more as of late. I don’t know if it’s the books that’ve changed or if I’m just making better reading decisions. I mean in the last two cases, it were books that were given to me (that I would have read either way), so maybe it’s a bit of both?

I’ll take it!

So, I once again really liked 99.9% of this a
J.M.
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, fantasy
Strong offerings make this anthology worth your time.

Lost Lore accomplishes its task of introducing readers to several amazing indie voices in dark epic fantasy. I’m excited to add so many new authors to my to-read pile!
Aidan Hennessy
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie, onkindle
A charming and enjoyable collection of short stories from a top group of indie fantasy authors. A good way to tip your toe into indie fantasy before being fully committed. Recommended.
Marielle
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-own
Excellent anthology! Very happy to add yet another few authors to my tbr!
Mihir
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review to come
Julian White
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting concept (think the history/story bits of the Lord of the Rings appendices) which provide the background/lore to some fictional worlds. A bit of a mixed bag - there were several standout stories (And They were Never Heard From Again; Into the Woods - both about storytelling and the power of words; A Simple Thing; The First Thread. Three of these make me want to read further in those worlds and I'd like more from the fourth as well, just not quite so much) and a few with intriguing ...more
Adam
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
An eclectic mix of short stories from some of my favorite independent authors. A must-read for fans of the genre.
Hannah
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had never read any work by these authors before but I absolutely loved their work - not a bad story in here, unlike many anthologies I have read. Definitely expanded my to be read list.
Pat
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More authors to add to my must read list! I enjoyed all of these stories - and a few I definitely want more of! The tales were long enough to get involved with the characters. I really couldn't say which I liked best, I was a bit like the dog in the meme..... oh, my favourite thing!! I definitely would recommend this to any fantasy fan, but especially if you are looking for new authors to read.
Bryan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun (and free!) collection of short stories that largely serve as histories for characters/places in the various authors respective series. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, from authors I already knew to discovering some new ones I'd never read before. While the level of enjoyment varied, I can honestly say there's not a single story I didn't enjoy at least a little.

Most of my favorites came from authors new to me: Benedict Patrick, Timandra Whitecastle, Laura M. Hughes T.L. Greylock and Alec Hu
Steve Thomas
I'll be adding to this review as I read through the stories. Since each of these stories is meant to introduce the author's world, I'll be focusing on how how effective they are are getting me interested in that world.

"And They Were Never Heard From Again" by Benedict Patrick: This one grew on me as I reflected on it. The bulk of the story is set-up. It's hinting at the magic system while justifying why the characters would do something very clearly stupid. The Halfwen stuff didn't quite work fo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lost Lore Readalong!: Introductions :) 68 76 Oct 13, 2018 06:18PM
Lost Lore Readalong!: Afterparty and GIVEAWAY! 19 31 Mar 01, 2018 05:59AM
Lost Lore Readalong!: Readalong Schedule 6 77 Feb 01, 2018 04:09PM
Oh! 1 16 Dec 11, 2017 06:26AM
  • Make Believe
  • Where the Waters Turn Black (Yarnsworld #2)
  • Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)
  • Escape from Bythos (Chronicles of the Black Gate #0.5)
  • A Mountain Walked
  • The Heart of Stone
  • Danse Macabre
  • Where Loyalties Lie
  • A Star-Reckoner's Lot (A Star-Reckoner's Legacy, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (The Dragon's Blade #3)
  • The Ant-Man of Malfen: The Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf (First Chronicle)
  • The Stone Road (The Forbidden List, #1)
  • Holiday of the Dead
  • Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
  • Art of War
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Official Zombie Handbook- The Ministry of Zombies
  • 13 Drops of Blood

Chronicles of the Black Gate (5 books)
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate #1)
  • The Black Shriving (Chronicles of the Black Gate #2)
  • The Siege of Abythos (Chronicles of the Black Gate #3)
  • The Iron Circlet (Chronicles of the Black Gate #4)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate #5)