Start by marking “Model Marine: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Model Marine: A Novel

Model Marine: A Novel

Gold Medal Winner in the Fiction - Literary category of the 2018 Readers' Favorite Book Award Contest!

Award-Winner in the Military category of the 2018 American Fiction Awards!

Finalist in the Military Fiction category of the 12th Annual National Indie Excellence Awards!

Molly Monroe had her future planned out for her. When she makes an impulsive decision to join the Mari
Published January 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Model Marine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Model Marine

harley stroburg
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Semper Fi!

Great story wonderfully told. The author did a wonderful job describing the Marine way of life and combining the civilian side as well.
Grady
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Oh no. You were quite composed and dignified. All except for your ribbons…you had two then, and they were on backward!”

South Carolina Author Sondra Sykes Meek earned her Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and combines that training with her career as a retired Marine Corps Master Sergeant, and a Project Manager in the Defense Industry. In addition to her book’s salute to the USMC Sondra’s goal in writing MODEL MARINE is to reveal the courage and sacrifices and the emotional journey of love
Patricia Fales
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So true

This story is so right and true.while reading this book I cried.The true test of a good story. My heart felt for John and Molly.
Myreadbooks
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank the netgalley site and the CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform editions for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover we see the beautiful Molly Monroe on the right in the foreground and in the background a woman with a camera a journalist perhaps.

We find Molly Monroe who had a future until the day she decided to join the Marine Corps. Except that her boyfriend drops her, her brother feels guilty, as for his mother, she feels betrayed. The people ar
C. Gonzales
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The writing was superb and the attention to detail was part of the reason everything seemed so real. Kudo's to Sondra Sykes for weaving a brilliant tale in which she uses vivid descriptions to capture the reader and bring them into her characters lives.

Meek manages to take the reader through a barrage of other emotions besides the typical and they will find themselves submerged in the world and feeling every single things that happens to these characters.

The author is able to unfold the plot b
Bailey Ember
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, fiction
Sondra Sykes Meek has done an amazing job of developing multi dimensional characters that the reader will feel invested in from the start. I love being about to picture everything about my characters and what they are doing.

While you have the main character, Molly, Meek also explores deeper into other characters lives as well giving another layer to the story. We have wonderful secondary characters.

I loved how smooth and quick of a read it was. It deals with War and a bit deeper/darker topics, b
Deana
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picture perfect

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I couldn't it it down. Would love to read either an extended epilogue or a follow up book.
David Styles
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is well-written, and can be readily presented as a fine example of feminism in literature without remotely being preachy.

Like most military stories I’ve read written by actual ex-soldiers (or in this case, an ex-marine), the focus is not on battles so much as the human elements and interactions, the life and the environment.

As a (British) ex-Para myself, my experience is very difficult to that of the American military; our military culture is very different in so many ways. To that end,
Kelly Chelten
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant about reading this book at first because I am not military and have no military ties, so I didn't think I could relate. The author proved me wrong! Such an amazing story about how certain events in life can change our decisions, our goals, our relationships and how we grow from those events and experiences. Also an eye-opener to a woman's perspective about being in the military. I admired the main character and related to her in many ways. The writing style is from multiple charac ...more
lori weisman
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keep tissues nearby

I like reading military love stories but I was getting tired of the handsome seal saving the beautiful woman. I didn't know what to expect from this book so I took a chance.
OMG this book had me sitting on the edge of my seat! Ms. Meeks had me at Paris Island, Camp Lejeune and at Camp Leatherneck. Her writing made me want to jump in and do something. The reader knew that real experiences were the base of this novel.
Ms. Meeks, thank you for your service and giving me a peak into
poppy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book it was recommended to me and I was a little unsure, to begin with, and it took me a while to pick it up I cannot believe I waited this was a such a super read I really liked Molly and enjoyed getting to know her this book will take you through a lot of different emotions and you may need the tissue at some point. It really is good give it a read you won't be disappointed.
Stephen Page
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Empathic and well-paced. Vivid language. Impactive scenes and storytelling. Realistic dialogue. Emotive all the way through. This is a memorable book, and if adapted, would make a thrilling movie or TV series.
Julius Blitzy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t you love when an establish formula is shaken and it turns out to be one of the best things I have ever read?
This is seriously not what I was expecting, I was caught off guard and it was the best surprise to find this book, a beauty queen standing on her own to make her path the way she wanted, everyone expect her to be the perfect and average pretty face and nothing more, well she has different plans now and what a way to make her path like she wants.
Of course, what she probably didn’t thi
Ann
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To help and back

This book is about a reluctant beauty queen who was so much more. Molly is innocent until a horrible event took away her feeling of safety. To get control back, she joins the marines where she excels. Injured in Afghanistan, she comes home to new realities for herself and those she loves. I was doing well until I came upon the description of a military recognition of their fallen comrades. Then I lost it, having a good cry for the wounded and departed described there and througho
Susan Swiderski
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The qualities that make a person a good soldier transcend things like outer appearance... and gender. When Mollie joins the Marines, it's a toss-up as to whether it's more a matter of her running to something or running away, but regardless of her motivation, this former beauty queen proves she has what it takes to assume the mantle of responsibility and to dedicate herself to service, both to her country and to her fellow soldiers.

The disjointed way the author tells the story is a bit disconcer
Archie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emotional- Educational!
An engaging and interesting story on marine’s life. The book is the journey of Molly Monroe from beauty queen to a combat camera marine. She faces many challenges, hardships, resistance from her family and also get wounded in war but what she faces, sees and realizes has a long time impact on her dreams. The book highlights many aspects of marine’s life, especially women and educates readers. The characters are well developed, descriptions are clear and an emotional read.
Spunky N Sassy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

I love military romance! This one was so swoon worthy it wasn't even funny. For readers who love military romance like I do, they should definitely read this book.
Elaine
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Insight into the Marine Lifestyle

I'm the proud mom of a Marine who enlisted a year ago, graduated in February 2018 and now at his PDS. We have yet to experience the big D, but I stand behind him and his Marine brothers and sisters, and their parents all the way.
Sherri Lynch
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A moving book

A moving and riveting book, that kept you going to the very end. You sympathized with the characters because of the sacrifice of lives in the story. A gripping book that sometimes was mixed up, but was resolved in the end.
Jane Paulsen
Aug 16, 2018
Karen Weisman
rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2018
Sondra Sykes Meek is originally from Florida, but has lived in several locations in the United States and abroad. She is a wife and mother of two, a retired Marine Corps master sergeant, and a Project Manager in the Defense Industry. She has a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, and has several stories in various stages of progress. She hopes to write full-time one day, but for now, she write ...more