Start by marking “We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices” as Want to Read:
We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices

We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices

Fifty of the foremost diverse children's authors and illustrators--including Jason Reynolds, Jacqueline Woodson, and Kwame Alexander--share answers to the question, "In this divisive world, what shall we tell our children?" in this beautiful, full-color keepsake collection, published in partnership with Just Us Books.

What do we tell our children when the world seems bleak,
Published September 4th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices

Start your review of We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices
Kristina Lenarczyk
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-for-review
I really enjoyed this collection, it was a very quick read that I picked up while waiting to board my flight home from NYC. There were a lot of writers and creators I hadn't seen or read from before, so I am interested in checking out some more works from a few of them! What I enjoyed the most about this anthology was its diversity in theme and presentation, each entry was unique and I loved getting more exposure into some of the poetry and artwork styles that were included.

Overall, I really
Mary Lee
I haven't finished reading every word of every page, but it seems prophetic to open this book (library copy--will be buying multiples for my classroom) right after finishing TROUBLEMAKERS, which gives us a new lens and new ways to define the students who

RISE
RESIST
and
RAISE THEIR VOICES.

I can't wait to begin shining a spotlight on the ways voices have historically been raised in response to the wrongs of the world. Thank you to the authors and illustrators of this collection for giving us just
Mary Ann
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Above all, this collection leave me with the feeling that there are caring adults who truly see children, who know how difficult these times can be, and who admire all the ways that our children walk in this world. Authors ask questions, share wisdom and provide support. By doing so, they open the window to talking about these difficult times. In the opening poem, Wade Hudson asks:
"What shall we tell you when our world sometimes seems dark and uninviting?
What shall we tell you when hateful words
Carol
Heartfelt advice and inspiration for young readers feeling discouraged by the current atrocious political climate and/or dealing with bullying based on their heritage and/or skin color. There are a variety of authors, formats, and illustrations/photographs that bring encouragement and motivation for kids to lift their voices and get involved, but to also know at the end of the day that you're loved and not alone.
Fran
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, poetry, recommend
What a wonderful insightful collection of poems. Despite being a short collection it is heavy and thought provoking, and left me feeling both hopeful and sad. The message is simply a reminder of strength and call of courage...two ideas that are anything but simple. Highly recommend for anyone and everyone.
Joy Kirr
I asked my students to think of a time they were made fun of, and for what reason. Then I read Ellen Oh's letter (two pages from this great book) to my students. They sat there - listening! We need to read and share these stories full of great advice.
Julie Overpeck aka Mrs. O's Library
With a country so divided, children naturally notice the tension and fear the future. Editors Wade Hudson and Cheryl Willis Hudson wanted to combat this hopelessness, so they asked many diverse artists to create works that would address the future. The result is a magnificent collection of creative works--poems, letters, essays, illustrations--that give hope and impart wisdom to today's children, especially children of color. It is a tender embrace of encouragement and hope from today's artists ...more
Kris Patrick
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful content.
I wish the text size was larger.
Kevin Hodgson
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful poems, stories and letters to remind us and our children that a path is still ahead, as difficult as it sometimes seems during these current years of political turmoil.
Linda
Perhaps to describe this book, I will use words from the forward by Ashley Bryan: "I'm sure just to touch this book, We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices, will lift your spirits." Editors Wade Hudson and Cheryl Willis Hudson tell in their introduction that they were inspired by their seven-year-old granddaughter who was so upset by the result of the 2016 presidential election. They write that she was frightened and confused, worried that her world would change. They asked themselves what ...more
Laura Gardner
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟/5 for WE RISE, WE RESIST, WE RAISE OUR VOICES

WE RISE is a gorgeous collection of poetry, art and essays on the topic of social justice. This inspiring and affirming anthology encourages students to believe in themselves, be kind, stand up and speak out. A love letter to young people struggling in a season of hate and exclusivity, this book is sure to have something for everyone who is struggling -- immigrant children who fear their parents will be deported, young black children who have
Chelsey
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Wonderful concept, lovely art.
Alicia
Wait??! Hold up! I'm talking about collections again? Yes, yes I am. These collections are superb, this one focused on a middle grade voice, but absolutely relevant for all ages. Poems, verse, short stories, design and illustration to compliment the words. Actions and voices raised. Moments of resistance and topics to speak up about? All boxes checked. Fabulous and timely authors, check. Vibrant front cover, check. Did I already hand it off to others? Check.

It's got some of my favorite people in
Dayna
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this book and its gorgeous art. Its a series of short stories, essays, letters, and more from various authors (many childrens, middle grade, and YA). This compilation is perfect to help explain what is going on in the country these days, while grounding todays struggles and resistance in history (especially the civil rights era). I would recommend this book to parents and teachers of middle grade readers, who are struggling to talk to kids about the racism, murder by police, ...more
Bookish
Full of messages ranging from comforting to inspirational, with carefully paired artwork for each entry. The range of written work means there's something in here for everyone, and the single-spread format makes the collection approachable for upper-elementary students while not off-putting for high-schoolers. The line-up of creators is a who's-who of contemporary diverse creativity for children.

A lot of modern resistance 'manuals' are hitting the shelves; this one will truly resonate with
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this more stars, I really did. I loved the concept of this collection. I loved the layout and the artwork. I enjoyed most of the poems and stories. However, some of them fell flat to me. And given the audience, I think the short stories, for the most part, told more than the poems--I think perhaps the intended readers would feel a disconnect trying to pull deeper meaning or even basic understanding from many of the poems. Overall, I liked what the contributors were trying to do ...more
The Rudie Librarian (Brian)
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was written in response to the question of African American parents who were struggling with what to tell their kids in light of some of the racism making its way more readily into American political rhetoric. It is short stories, poems, and art designed to restore hope to children who might be frightened. A beautiful keepsake.
McKenna Paul
Published September 4th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers
Biographies, Multicultural literature, Poetry
Diversity lesson. Important activists, artists, and other voices bring their experiences, thoughts, art, ideas, and opinions on today's issues and creating a just society.
SO many important lessons in this story. This read-aloud would practice mindfulness for my small beings of society.
Earl
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring anthology for upper elementary and middle school grades that tackles current issues that have happened in the past. It's a good reminder that things can be overcome but it takes time and teamwork.
JoEllen
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Words & Images of Hope is a must-have, must-share powerful collection. Incredible #heartprintbook with essays, advice and inspiration from incredible voices. Need to get the audio version too! Advice from Olugbemisola Rhuday Perkovich should be made into posters for every classroom wall.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Would be such a great book for the classroom.
Jae
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually go for audiobooks, but I'd recommend listening to this over reading it any day.
Amanda
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is very uplifting, inspirational, and authentic. I love the diversity and the thread interwoven among all of pieces: acceptance and love. Be kind, be you, and love others.
Kim
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-educators
Teachers, pick this up for your classroom.
Alvera
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
pg. 1 From the foreword, "I'm sure just to touch this book.... will lift your spirits..... Stand up , reader, and cheer for the good fortune that offers you this book to live by."

What a beautiful, powerful idea and collaboration between many prominent names in children's literature and illustration who happen to also be people of color! A must for school libraries and a treasure that would be an asset in any home or classroom library. A valuable resource to encourage positivity and perspective
Lisa Bonack
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written and illustrated by 50 famous people of color, this collection of poetry and prose is amazing. It's uplifting and inspiring. I will refer to it often. It ends with a detailed bio of each author/illustrator who participated in the creation of this book.
Nadia L. Hohn
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world can be a scary place for children with hate, police brutality, islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, and so much pain. This book holds and hugs and tries to mend a broken heart. Through prose and poetry, free verse, some of my favourite diverse authors and illustrators express their letters to the children of today. I loved Zetta Elliott and Kelly Starling Lyons poems in particular. I also love those authors who shared from their personal experiences as well as the mixed media and collage ...more
Elizabeth
This collection is definitely a must-read for so many different reasons. Are you a kid feeling confused about the state of the world? Are you struggling to figure out how to impact the world? Are you a parent/educator/person who works with children in general and in need of some sage words to pass on to those children? Answering yes to literally any one of these things means you should definitely read this.

Essays, letters, poetry, art, and photography have combined forces here to create a
Dan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This beautiful collection was super compelling.
Ms. B
A book to give hope to those who feel we are living in troubled times. Give this one to anyone who believes in basic human rights for all and/or is interested in social justice issues.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Genesis Begins Again
  • Dreamers
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!