Start by marking “The Mystery of the Colour Thief” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Colour Thief

The Mystery of the Colour Thief

First the accident, then the nightmares. The shadowy thief steals all the colours from Izzy's world leaving her feeling empty and hopeless. Will her new neighbour and a nest full of cygnets save Izzy and solve the mystery of the colour thief? A heartwarming story about families, friendships,school, nature, hope and self-confidence.

After a frightening car accident, Izzy's m
Published May 3rd 2018 by Zephyr

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Colour Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Colour Thief

Brenda
Izzy felt the only place she could be happy was with her best friend Lou – but when she suddenly shunned her, preferring the company of someone else, Izzy was shattered. The nightmares woke her every night – the shadowy man who took a different colour, one after the other, leaving her distraught and filled with guilt.

Izzy’s mother was in a coma in hospital; her dad was worried and unhappy, a shadow of his old self, and Izzy was consumed by feelings that a twelve-year-old shouldn’t have to feel.
Miss Cleveland
A beautifully heart-felt and poignant tale about family, friendship and hope through the blackest of days. Tissues were required!
BooksForTopics
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
his is an authentically told story that poignantly portrays life during dark times for twelve-year-old Izzy. After a traumatic car accident, Izzy’s mum is in a coma in hospital and Izzy feels like the whole thing is her own fault. Dad is struggling to keep things together and even Izzy’s best friend Lou is turning away from her.

While Izzy tries to act bravely and hold everything inside, something even darker is happening inside her mind. At night, a terrifying shadow man is haunting Izzy’s drea
Vee ♔Under Mountain Books♔
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
I read a book quite similar to this one this year, The Amazing Colour Of After. Like After, this deals with themes of birds, colour, growing up and loss, although in this book Izzy's mother hasn't passed away, she's in a coma. While this is a much shorter book, I did feel that this handled those themes better, and I connected to Izzy way more than I did Leigh in After.

I didn't like Izzy's family in this book. When Izzy's mum is in coma, her Dad shuts himself off leaving her overbearing aunt to l
Suzie Bull
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the Colour Thief sensitively handles the heartbreaking issues 12 year old Izzy is experiencing. Most pressing is the guilt Izzy feels for her mother being in a coma in hospital, yet in the background Izzy is dealing with starting high school and no longer having the friend support she was used to. This book highlights how to deal with change, guilt, loneliness and friendship in a readable yet sensitive manner. Highly recommended.
Kate Atkinson
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet story encompassing mystery, family drama and the consequences of a devastating accident. Izzy's dreams are haunted by a mysterious 'colour thief' and her life is spiraling out of control, but when she meets Toby from nextdoor and they begin to take care of a young baby swan, she finds that friendship and love will help her deal with her fears.
Elise AndHerBooks
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It gave me all the feels. No silliness, completely believable and so heartwarming. Strongly advise people to read this book.
Vincent Ripley
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book review will be published soon on www.mrripleysenchatedbooks.com
Mary
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, ever-unfolding story, with complex character, enormous depth, well filled out.
Highly recommended.
June
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an excellent book. I thought I'd have a quick flick through to check it out before giving to a friend's (8yo) daughter, but of course was quickly hooked and devoured it...

I loved the way that it combined gripping narrative with real depth and takes the reader on a powerful emotional journey with Izzy. It manages to cover difficult topics of loneliness, fear and guilt in ways that seem very accessible yet non-patronising (as far as this 36yo can tell!).

The friendship troubles
A Severs
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a regular reader of my book reviews then you'll know there is one quality above all others that I look for in children's novels: the potential for it to develop empathy in the reader. This book has that in spades.

Izzy blames herself for what happened to her mum. Since the incident her relationship with her best friend has suffered and despite many well-meaning adults offering support, she is finding life difficult to cope with. And it doesn't help that her recurring nightmare features
Stephen Baird
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Izzy is beset by a lot of problems in this story, her mum is in a coma in the hospital after a car crash that she feels is her fault, her dad is not coping at all, and her best friend, Lou, is shunning her for others.
This is a wonderfully written book on the feelings of a 12 year old whose world has turned upside down and is trying to stay in control of it.

This is achieved in the end through the help of a new friend, Tom, and in helping a weak cygnet gain strength and live.

There is also the prob
Jun 22, 2018
Caroline Middleton
Feb 22, 2019
St Stephen's C C
First the accident, then the nightmares and the thief who steals the colour from Izzy's world. Will her neighbour and a nest of cygnets help solve the mystery of the colour thief? First the accident, then the nightmares. The shadowy thief steals all the colours from Izzy's world leaving her feeling empty and hopeless. Will her new neighbour and a nest full of cygnets save Izzy and solve the mystery of the colour thief? A heart-warming story about families, friendships, school, nature, hope and s ...more
Dan
Nicole
Apr 25, 2018
Jessikah Stenson
Mar 03, 2018
Ewa Jozefkowicz grew up in Ealing, and studied English Literature at UCL. She currently works in marketing, and lives in Highbury, north London with her husband and twin girls.

The daughter of a bookseller, she has always been a lover of children's books and has dreamed of publishing her own. She wrote her first book aged 5 (meticulously self-illustrated with felt tip pen) and twenty five years la
“I felt a cold rush of air. The shadow and smoke cleared and I was lifted in a single jerking motion by a pair of string hands. I could clearly see the skin - soft, leathery brown. I knew who the hands belonged to. The shadow man. The color thief.” 0 likes
“I stared at the exact view that she'd painted. I wanted to remember - what she'd said, the smell of tubes of acrylic scattered on the grass, the sharp tang of the cheese and ketchup sandwiches. I sat for what could have been minutes or could have been hours, but nothing came back to me. Nothing, except that flicker of an image of the two of us there.” 0 likes