Start by marking “A Girl of White Winter (Dark Glass #3)” as Want to Read:
A Girl of White Winter (Dark Glass #3)

A Girl of White Winter

(Dark Glass #3)

Kara, as a ward with no parentage and no future, has been raised knowing nothing outside her lady’s chambers. Until Royce Capello, a visiting nobleman, is struck by her ice-pale looks, and demands her as payment for the land the family needs.

With barely time to protest, Kara is sold and packed off for a life as a concubine—until a raiding party descends on Royce’s company
Published August 7th 2018 by Rebel Base Books

To ask other readers questions about A Girl of White Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl of White Winter

Start your review of A Girl of White Winter (Dark Glass #3)
Carrie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A Girl of White Winter by Barb Hendee is the third book in the Dark Glass series. This series are historical fantasy reads that have one thing in common, the main character will be shown the outcome of three different paths from one choice they need to make in order to decide what to do. Each book features an all new story and characters so they could be read as a standalone if choosing to do so.

In A Girl of White Winter we meet Kara who was born to a servant of a wealthy family and then orphane
Shelley
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

A Girl of White Winter, by author Barb Hendee, is the third installment in the authors Dark Glass series. This is a series that began with the story of a witch who was killed, and found herself trapped in a 3-way mirror. As we have learned, the 3-way mirror seeks out those facing difficult decisions. The mirror gives the chosen 3 paths. They each live out their 3 paths, and then must make a choice between the 3. There are no do overs. Once t
Lexie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
More of a 2.5 - mostly because I did not particularly like the inclusion of the "he touched me and it was magical" in the third choice (which harkened back to her first choice).

I actually downgraded this because I realized a thing that happened in the second branching path - or honestly that entire path altogether - bothered the living daylights out of me.

edited to add: I downgraded this to a 1 star because looking over my six pages of notes and anger over the second path has me basically shakin
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
So Barb Hendee writes another wonderful novel.......

Again we have the three choices format as the lead gets the opportunity to live through three choices of how her life might be if she chooses one of three en in question, thanks to a magical mirror inhabited by the spirit of a witch.

This time the lead is Kara, the sheltered ward of a noble woman who's husband ends up selling Kara in exchange for some land to an awful man. When I say Kara is sheltered it's no joke as the girl hasn't left her man
Katherine Paschal
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
**3.5 Stars**
Kara has been kept secluded and sheltered as a helper to her Lady, with no real knowledge of the world or the dangers that can lurk there. When her Lady's husband sells her off as a mistress for a lord in return for much desired land, her careful world is ruined. While on the road to her new life, she is captured by thieves and by stroke of luck she gets to look into a magic mirror that shows her options. Kara has a decision to make, she must pick one of three paths with three diffe
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Raised in isolation as neither servant or family Kara has never seen much beyond her lady’s chambers. However, when she receives a rare invite to dine with her ladyship's husband, family and their guests she catches the attention of Royce Capello, a noble visiting on business. In exchange for some land he demands Kara as payment. The next day she is leaving everything she knows behind. However, Royce’s travelling party is set upon by bandits and Kara is once again taken. Kara is in despair, take ...more
Christa
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Girl in White Winter was a great addition to this fantasy series. Each book has a similar concept, but can be read on its own. So if you haven’t read the first two books, you will not be lost.

Kara is a ward, living with her aunt and serving her quietly. She is sold by her aunt’s husband as a concubine to Royce, who takes her out of her aunt’s manor for the first time. On the way to her new home, they are attacked by a raiding party and she is kidnapped and taken to their village.

She is given
Jen
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
A Girl of White Winter tells the tale of Kara, an orphaned girl raised in the care of a noble family. After being raised as the ward of the Lady of the House, the Lord sells Kara off to Royce Capello as part of a deal to obtain valuable lands. She's never been away from the manor before, rarely been outside, never been clothed in anything other than silk and other fancy gowns - a living doll. On the road, Royce's party is attacked by thieves and Kara is claimed by Caine, a member of an isolated ...more
Ola Adamska
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2018
I have to not read other books on this Series. And I was MESMERISED by The story. The Concept on its own was so fresh.
Kara is a companion to The lady for Her whole Life. She was secured for Her whole Life. The doesnt know Society or Life outside manor. Men come There and due to some buissnes she was sold to one of men as nie property. Then after some events she is to see three paths from which she will have to choose only one.
Each of Her choices is some kind of disaster in The end, but what will
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
Such a different and unique read. I loved how thought provoking this book was - more detail review to come
Leigh Hunt
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable read!
Mary Kay
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
All books in the series have the same format just different story lines. Enjoyable and easy reads.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
White Winter

I normally enjoy books with great characters. A great character can smooth over plot flaws and unrealistic circumstances. However, with this series it’s not the characters I enjoy. Most are not even characters that I like or can relate to easily. It’s the choices. It’s seeing how one choice effects the outcome of not only the individual making the choice but all those around her. Choices, even small ones, have a ripple effect. They not only change what happens to us but those around
Jaime
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoy this series, and was not disappointed at all by this book. Kara is timid, but she is able to find strength when needed. So although she is a damsel she often handles her own distress. I also liked that this time the choice was much tougher, at least for her as a person. I love that although I may not agree with her, the life she chose was a complete reflection of her personality. I can’t wait for the next book.
Steve
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good story but lack of fantasy

I enjoyed this book. The three alternate futures were very well done, the story was well paced and character development was excellent. On the other hand, there really was no fantasy element to the story aside from the dark glass which I found disappointing. This is the first book of the series I've read and it was good enough for me to want to read the others.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book via Netgalley for review purposes.
Claire
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book in the Dark Glass series. For the first time two of the choices were viable options. Usually, the main character has three choices but the way one of them is written is clearly the one we are supposed to want. Two of the choices in this book involve love and family. I did expect the reason for the different coloring of the main character (she has Snow Queen type appearance) be explained but it never did.
Cheryl Bonner
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so exciting I could not put it down. Read it from start to finish. Wouldn’t it be exciting if we all had a mirror like Kara to help us make life choices? I think she made the right choice. Read this book and give me your opinion. It was exciting, adventurous, and filled with romance.
Joan Mitchell
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Choices

What would you do if you could choose your future. This is a story of how one girl made her choice. Well written, the words and story flowed easily. I am eager to read the next book in the series. I recommend this book to those like fantasy or romantic novels. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Lucy Winton
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Where do I start?

Kara is a very sheltered, very vulnerable young woman. She's the ward of a noblewoman - and is in fact a blood relative, although she isn't treated as such - but the noblewoman, Lady Giselle, has no real power and her husband literally sells Kara to a visiting nobleman, Royce Capello, in exchange for the land he wants. Then a raiding party appears and Kara is kidnapped again.

(I'm not sure if the raiding party is one of the parties mentioned in 'A Choice of Crowns', but if they a
Janine
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This time I am not quite so thrilled like I was with the second book of the series. I still love the idea of the mirror that lets you live out three possible choices and decide afterwards which path you want to take.
But many of the aspects I criticized about book 1 made an appearance in this one as well.
Phrases and sometimes even entire sentences are repeated, apart from those that are necessary. In addition to that I had a hard time feeling with the characters because the style of writing seeme
cola_bear
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

LIGHT SPOILERS!!!

The Good: I absolutely adored this entry in the series. After living her life as a ward and companion for her Lady, Kara is suddenly thrust out into the world due to being sold by those who should have protected her. She is kidnapped on the road by thieves, and from there she is given three choices. Each of those choices have consequences, and difficulties for Kara. This book was a touch darker than the other two in terms of what our heroine is dealt. I didn't mind, bu
Nia Ireland
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book, which I understand is an underlying premise for the entire season: the protagonist finds themselves at a crossroads of difficult choices and suddenly BLAMMO - magic mirror with a witch stuck inside appears and shows them the outcomes of their choices so they can make an informed decision.

Kara has a run in with this mirror and now gets to choose between the men who have claimed ownership of her (ick) by seeing how they would treat her if she chose them.

I'm trig
Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all I want to say thank you for having held this amazing giveaway! Grateful to win this book.
This is another great story from Barb Hendee. Full of plot twists and guesses. However I’m disappointed that the ending was kind of predictable. I read the first novel in this series and the main character also chooses the same choice number (don’t want to spoil which one). Which is the reason to why I took away one star...
The character was sweet but her personality didn’t resonate with me at
Sherry
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it

The idea for this series is unique—the main character in each book is presented with the outcomes of pursuing three different paths of action by a magic mirror and must then choose her fate.

One of my complaints about the first in the series was that it was very repetitive, because in each version of the future it took awhile for events to diverge. In this book, the overlapping parts of the story are much briefer, so that problem is solved.

However, the other issue I had with the first n
Ozsaur
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really like this series, but I'm afraid this is the most disappointing book yet. The second book was better than the first so I figured the author was hitting her stride, and the series would just get better and better. Wow, no.

The whole second choice just didn't work at all. Actually, Kara only had two real choices instead of three because Royce wasn't any kind of choice at all. What an asshole! That entire timeline sucked, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to go there. Yeah, she ends up wit
Michelle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, series, fantasy
A Girl of White Winter (Dark Glass #3)

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book had such an excellent and unique concept. The story is centered around Kara, a girl whose appearance resembles winter. Due to being contained in a manor for so long, she is extremely shy and timid. She even fears the sky. Kara was given in exchange for land by her lord, only to be stolen by thieves the same day. She is given three choices. 1. Travel with one thief throug
Imogene
Well.... so I received this from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review. And I’m torn.

As what I took to be a fairytale adaptation with multiple endings it was pretty fab.
As part of a series of female protagonists who get to see three possible futures it’s a little more problematic.
I didn’t realise when I requested it, that it as part of a series of the “three options”. I don’t think that I’d actually go back and read the other books with the same narrative.

It was a clever way of exploring
Wendy Bunnell
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm flying through the Dark Glass series, as I'm curious as to what other choices the author can place before our intrepid heroines. This was more similar to the first in the series, as it really ended up being a choice between three potential mates for the young female lead. Only, she didn't realize that at the time of the decision, as she thought that she had the possibility to return to her former home.

I liked the choices and especially the differences in the paths for this book. The first bo
Chrissy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Kind of the opposite of the last one - where that one had no good choices presented to the heroine and she had to choose the least bad one, this one has all three fairly good choices (well, okay - two of them are better than the third, though that one ended up okay). Kara's an interesting character in that she is ridiculously sheltered and naive at the beginning of the story. Very different from the first two heroines in this series. But in all three of the scenarios she's presented with, she le ...more
ShinyObject
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of A Girl of White Winter by Barb Hendee from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had read the other books in the Dark Glass series and really enjoyed both. Unfortunately, this novel did not catch me in that fashion, however. I found the protagonist, Kara, to be less engrossing (less enjoyable?) than the previous novels and found myself not really having a strong opinion about any of three suitors/choices. Her character was simply flat seeming, I thou
Goodreads Librari...: Adding a Book to Barb Hendee Dark Glass Series 3 15 Apr 15, 2018 08:23AM

• You Could Make a Life
  • Tales from the Front (Air Awakens, #2.5)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Prisoner of the Crown (The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1)
  • A Comfortable Wife (Lester Family, #4)
  • A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)
  • Tone Deaf
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • Opal Plumstead
  • The Doll's Eye
  • The Queen's Bargain (The Black Jewels #10)
  • Passion Play (River of Souls, #1)
  • Call of Madness
  • Mission of Magic
  • Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1)
  • A Sight for Psychic Eyes (Piper Ashwell Psychic P.I. Book 0)

[See barbhendee.org]
Like most writers, I've worked at many jobs in my life, including teaching pre-school until I completed my master's degree in Composition Theory. Between 1993 and 2006, I taught college English while writing fiction on the side, some independently and some with my husband and life-long partner J.C.

Over the years, we've lived in Washington State, Idaho, Colorado, and now moved j

Dark Glass (4 books)
  • Through a Dark Glass (Dark Glass #1)
  • A Choice of Crowns (Dark Glass #2)
  • A Choice of Secrets (Dark Glass #4)