Start by marking “The Missing Girl” as Want to Read:
The Missing Girl

The Missing Girl

When Anna Flores' adored older sister goes missing as a teenager, Anna copes by disappearing too, just as soon as she can: running as far away from her family as possible, and eventually building a life for herself abroad.

Thirty years later, the death of her mother finally forces Anna to return home. Tasked with sorting through her mother's possessions, she begins to conf
Published 2017 by Mantle

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Girl, please sign up.
Swapna Yes, the ending is unsatisfactory. Why wasn't the culprit investigated earlier in a proper manner and how could he get away with all those murders?

Brenda
Twelve-year-old Anna Flores and her fifteen-year-old sister Gabriella were extremely close; they had always been, but Gabriella was changing. Teenage years; loud music; dark make-up – but still the sisters spent time together. It was on the afternoon that Anna was to meet Gabriella at their father’s shop after school, when Gabriella didn’t turn up, that lives changed forever. Gabriella was never found, and it destroyed her family…

Thirty years later, Rita, Anna’s mother’s best friend, notified he
Rachel Hall
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Missing Girl is an acutely well-observed and eloquently rendered portrayal of the disappearance of a teenage daughter and the very profound consequences on her family left behind. In a emotionally gripping story of family dynamics, the secrets that we keep hidden and the lies we tell ourselves, Jenny Quintana combines a dual timeline narrative which serves as both as a coming-of-age story and a poignant literary exploration of the coping strategies of a family splintered by grief.

Life for A
Liz Barnsley
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 Stars**

An excellent and beautifully written debut from Jenny Quintana here – a missing sister, a woman looking for answers and an evocative past/present setting that resonated.

The Missing Girl is emotionally gripping as we see Anna sorting through the aftermath of her mother’s death and returning again to that terrible time in her youth when her sister disappeared. Through flashback we see the events leading up to that day and, more importantly, the relationship that existed between the si
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
* https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
On an autumn day in 1982, a fifteen year old girl Gabriella goes missing. Thirty years later, Gabriella’s sister Anna comes to terms with her sister’s tragic disappearance and tries to piece together the loose ties from decades before. The Missing Girl is a slow burn style domestic thriller that leans heavily on the psychology between an unusual family and the bonds of sisterhood.

Anna Flores adores her older sister Gabriella. When Gabriella goes mi
Mandy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars.
This is the story of Anna Flores, who returns to her childhood home after the death of her mother.
Anna begins to remember her life when she was 12, when her sister Gabriella went missing when she was 15.
Anna begins to look into Gabriella's disappearance, just as she did thirty years before, in 1982. So one chapter is from Anna in the present and one chapter is from Anna in 1982. And this is the same throughout the book.
I thought this was a very accomplished debut novel, and I thoroug
Cathy
The Missing Girl is a compelling mystery but also an absorbing and believable depiction of a family coping with the disappearance of a child.  For me, this second element was the most rewarding part of the book.   As the mystery of Gabriella’s disappearance remains unresolved, it has a disturbing effect on the family.  Even more so coming as it does on top of overheard fragments of conversations and knowing glances between her father and mother the meaning of which twelve-year old Anna doesn’t u ...more
Zoe
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric, dramatic, and intriguing!

The Missing Girl is a slow-burning, captivating mystery that takes us into the life of Anna Flores who upon returning home to settle her mother’s estate decides to probe, explore and finally piece together what actually happened to her sister Gabriella on the afternoon she disappeared thirty years prior.

The writing is crisp and precise. The characters are troubled, determined, and genuine. And the plot, using first-person narration and alternating between 19
Tracy Fenton
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review: The Missing Girl is a really wonderful debut novel and one I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. The story is narrated through one character Anna Flores, alternating from 1982 to present day. Anna is now a 40 year old single woman who has to return to her home town after a 30 year absence to sort out her mother’s estate and uncover the truth about her older sister Gabriellas’ disappearance in the 80’s.

The chapters told from Anna’s 12 year old perspective were at times heartbreaki
Sharon Robards
I thought this was a beautifully written novel, which resonated very much.

I’ve had a sister missing for 25 years and have never found a way to describe the profound emotional roller coaster that happens when a sibling goes missing and remains missing for many years. The author, Jenny Quintana, has managed to capture much of what it can be like through her character, Anna Flores, who returns home after the death of her mother to the town where her older sister went missing from 30 years earlier.
Love
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover is striking and memorable, but I urge you (if like me you have the hardback version) to take a peek under the dust jacket. The blood-red cover with gold lettering on the spine is thrilling and truly spectacular.

Anna has no choice but to return home to settle her mother’s estate. She’s been hiding for so long but now she is out of excuses. The story flip-flops from current day to the 80’s. Where we get to puzzle together the fragments of the story and find out what happened to Anna’s si
lucky little cat
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to lucky little cat by: UK Independent Best Books of 2018
Missing-blonde-teen-sister mystery set in 2004 (with flashbacks to 1982).
dancing in the street is timeless
So much to miss about the 80s

Evokes the vanished closeness of village life, right down to the ubiquitous known-by-first-name street sweeper. Quintana is less successful at showing little sister Anna's inner turmoil, which eats up many a repetitive paragraph and feels arbitrary and forced. Not many genuine surprises: you will probably spot the culprit long before Anna does. Period tunes serve as window dressing. Debut n
4cats
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Anna Flores was a young girl her sister disappeared, never to be found, her parents never declared her dead and this tragic event haunted Anna to adulthood. Thirty years later Anna returns to her childhood home, her mother has died and Anna finds herself revisiting the past, trying to discover what happend to her beloved sister.

With a narrative which moves back and forward in time, this domestic thriller deals with loss, secrets and memory. If I was to take issue with The Missing Girl, I wo
Roy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this over the weekend. Has a 2 part story structure. Current timeline and past timeline. Im not sure what it was, but the POV and main character didnt interest me at all. The plot was solid, standard missing person story and writing solid for a debut.
Mikayla
If I could give it a 3.5 I would. It was slow moving and wasn't as much of a thriller as I thought it would be, but I was still interested in what happened to Gabriella.
Cleo Bannister
Wow! I’m not sure what I expected from this debut author but it wasn’t this evocative tale of a girl whose sister goes missing one autumnal day in 1982.

Anna Flores’ sister, Gabriella went missing, in fact we only see her reflected through her younger sister’s adoring eyes but it’s now thirty years later and Anna’s mother has died and it is time to clear the house and sort through the family possessions. Anna sadly returns from Athens to attend the funeral but finds herself needing to confront wh
Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog)
Having come straight from the highs of THE CHILD by Fiona Barton, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to jump straight back into a mystery surrounding a ‘missing’ person – but within the first few chapters, this feeling disappeared and I started to get into Anna & Gabriella’s story.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed THE MISSING GIRL. The mix of past and present story telling gives the reader the full picture and understanding as to why Anna has the relationship with her family as she does. We are taken to
Manda
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2018
My rating strategy:
5 stars = An all time favourite, I could tell you about this 10 years later.

4 stars = Loved this, really gripping/fun/exciting, will remember long term.

3 stars = Definitely enjoyed, might forget quickly though, but happy to read more by the author.

2 stars = Likely to have some good points, but it didn't properly captivate me.

1 star = Not my cup of tea at all, wouldn't return to the author.
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent, disappearance of a sibling, mentions of rape, (view spoiler)

So here's the thing: I thought this was a thriller, based on the blurb. Instead, it was mostly the story of a woman dealing with having to return to the village where her sister disappeared years earlier and which she's been avoiding ever since. But now, her mother has died and she has to go back and it brings up a whole lot of memories and emotions.

And I
Lucy Jackson
I'll round this up to 3.5 stars, I did enjoy this book, it didn't blow me away, but still a great read.
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was received from the publisher in return for an honest review

I was lucky enough to take part in the blog tour for Jenny Quintana’s debut novel The Missing Girl. The ARC dropped through my letter box last year and I was intrigued by the blurb and when I picked it up it certainly didn’t disappoint!

When Anna’s mother dies Anna is forced to return from Greece to the small village where she grew up, the village were her older sister went missing. Keen to get through the funeral and get bac
Lauren Mc
Just 2 stars for this one me, I just never really got into it and it took quite a while to finish. The main problem I think was that I never really felt much for Anna other than a little bit of pity, we don't get much of a picture of her other than being 'the missing girls sister'.
Parts of the book were great but they were too few and far between for me. The ending picks up a bit but it takes a while to get there and there aren't many twists along the way unfortunately. I really wanted to like
Maggie Kiely
Jul 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Again I think Im in the minority here but found this hard to get into and did not enjoy it The story did not grip me atall I would not recommend it
Jo Barton
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thirty years on from her older sister's disappearance and the loss doesn't get any easier for Anna Flores who was just twelve when Gabriella failed to return home from school in the autumn of 1982. When Anna returns to her childhood home after her mother's death, the grief and loss, so cleverly hidden over the intervening years, comes brimming back to the surface.

What then follows is a beautifully written family drama which looks at the secrets families keep, not just between themselves, but als
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
My Rating ~ 4.5*

‘It’s been thirty years since Anna’s sister disappeared.

Anna’s never stopped missing her.’

The Missing Girl is the debut novel from Jenny Quintana, a novel described as ‘a powerful, gripping and evocative debut, perfect for readers of Joanna Cannon and Kate Hamer.’ Released in January 2018 by Mantle ( a Pan McMillan imprint)

I knew from the Prologue of The Missing Girl, that here was a book that was going to be quite a visual read. I quoted the opening lines on Twitter that day a
Beth (bibliobeth)
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thank you so much to the lovely Annabelle Wright and Mantle publishers for getting to touch to ask me if I'd like to read a copy of debut novel The Missing Girl, in exchange for an honest review and to be part of the blog tour. Well of course I jumped at the chance, especially when I saw it getting early rave reviews from bloggers I know and trust, like the wonderful Cleopatra Loves Books who wrote a fantastic review HERE. I trust Cleo implicitly as we tend to have a similar taste ...more
Sha
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Mantle and Netgalley. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

I want to take a quick moment to mention that I saw this book on NetGalley and requested a copy even though it came out over a year ago. The Missing Girl may not be an upcoming release, but the summary drew me in so much I just had to see what
Rachel Emms
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Missing Girl is a tale of a family who fall apart after Gabriella Flores suddenly goes missing as a teenager. The story is narrated through the eyes of Anna, both in the present day who has come home to deal with the aftermath of her mother’s death, and in 1982 as an eleven-year old girl leading up to the event when her sister disappeared.

I loved loved loved this story. This is not your usual psychological thriller but is so much more. It does centre around the mystery of a missing girl but
Andrew
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable story which covers two time period. In 1982 Anna and Gabriela Flores are sisters growing up in a small village, despite an age gap 11 and 16 they are close until over one summer Gabriela begins to change and apparently grow away from her sister and loving parents before the day she disappears. Now as an adult Anna returns on her mother's death, intent on a flying visit but soon gets drawn into the mystery that haunts her of the loss of her sister.
Well constructed I enjoyed the story
Mrs Sue Collins
I was really gripped at the start of this book and was enjoying it because I could see it through the eyes of a young girl who, perhaps, wouldn't challenge adults peculiar behaviour.
However, I found it frustrating that as she grew up more questions weren't asked by her. I wanted to say to her, for goodness sake, get to the bottom of it!
So, my conclusion is that the book was a bit overly long and padded out a bit
Jo
Anna Flores returns to her hometown when her mother dies which prompts her to recall her childhood when her older sister went missing. The narrative switches between Anna in the present trying to work out what really happened and the events of 1982 when her sister disappeared. This was a slow moving story but quite well written.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Slaughter Park (The Belltree Trilogy, #3)
  • Murder, Mayhem & Men On Pause
  • On the Blue Train
  • Under the Cold Bright Lights
  • Greenlight
  • Supernotes
  • Pigen uden hud
  • Bright Young Dead (The Mitford Murders #2)
  • In the Mood
  • SAS Ghost Patrol: The Ultra-Secret Unit That Posed As Nazi Stormtroopers
  • Tallowood Bound
  • Murder Mile (Tennison, #4)
  • Daintree (The Porter Sisters #2)
  • Chase (Chase #1)
  • The Three Miss Allens
  • Preservation
  • The Soldier’s Woman (The Bladewood Legacy, #1)
  • Eleanor's Secret
Jenny Quintana grew up in Essex and Berkshire, before studying English Literature in London. She has taught in London, Seville and Athens and has also written books for teaching English as a foreign language. She is a graduate of the Curtis Brown Creative writing course. She now lives with her family in Berkshire. The Missing Girl is her first novel.