Start by marking “Plant-Powered Beauty: The Essential Guide to Using Natural Ingredients for Health, Wellness, and Personal Skincare (with 50-plus Recipes)” as Want to Read:

Have you ever looked at the back of your facial moisturizer or body cream and, despite whatever it claims about "natural" ingredients on the front of the package, seen complicated additives like this?

Isopropyl Myristate,Hydrolyzed Elastin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Benzoate, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea,(Red 40)

Published June 1st 2018 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Plant-Powered Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plant-Powered Beauty

Start your review of Plant-Powered Beauty: The Essential Guide to Using Natural Ingredients for Health, Wellness, and Personal Skincare (with 50-plus Recipes)
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
There are a lot of natural beauty books out there, and almost all have similarities.

This one boasted some perks and differences:

- The details of deconstructing the label with this before discussing details on carrier oils and ingredients.
- It goes into much heavier detail of plant extract differences and methods compared to a lot of beauty books outside of actual herbals.
- The Essential Oil section is generous, including a lot of mood and themed blend ideas.
- Beautiful and colorful pictures
Cozy Cat Reviews
I received a ARC of this book for review . My opinion is my own.
I have been using natural homemade skin care for many years with natural ingredients. I was thrilled to receive this book for review but found it does not transfer well to PDF and I was unable to read most of it. What I was able to read was informative and helpful . I appreciate the information on the various carrier oils and how to incorporate low price ingredients into our home beauty products.
Once you begin making your own
Ramie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was at page 155/305 (according to Adobe Digital Editions) before I really got into this book. The first 155 pages are mostly spent explaining what different ingredients do. The charts are useful for those who want to move beyond the recipes and formulate their own products. If your focus is on following recipes? The first part of this book isn’t for you.

While the charts are useful for reference when DIY’ing it, I am not going to lie, it’s a pretty boring “Read”. I think of this book more of a
Dianna
This book is incredibly detailed. There is information on scores of different natural ingredients used in making homemade beauty products (mostly moisturizers and masks), and I especially liked the parts on how the ingredients work with your skin to help it. I'd always wondered about that!

It is obvious that the authors of this book know a lot about formulating products and that they love what they're doing. I haven't tried any of the recipes (see below), but I have no doubt that they are
Amanda Tipper
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a helpful book! I came across this at the best time as I've recently been considering making my own cosmetics to have more control over what goes in them (and maybe save some money). The beginning half of the book instructs on how to read the ingredient lists of mass produced cosmetics and gives descriptions of the natural ingredients that can be used (oils, clays, infusions, etc) which is great for someone who isn't too familiar with natural cosmetics. The book also contains a list of ...more
Literary Soirée

PLANT-POWERED BEAUTY is a comprehensive guide for using natural ingredients to make plant-based skincare and beauty products. Includes more than 50 easy-to-follow recipes to concoct such homemade goodies as Almond Milk Face Cleanser, Choc-o-Mint Lip Balm, Vitamin-Rich Hair Boost Scalp Serum, and Quick & Fresh Cucumber-Thyme Body Scrub.

Chock full of tips and guidance from two seasoned aromatherapists and natural beauty experts, this wise guide shows readers how to make sense of beauty labels
Denise Riehle
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking to improve your beauty treatments, and want to know exactly what is going onto your skin and body, this is a great reference book to add to your library.Plant-Powered Beautyis written by Amy Galper and Christina Daigneault and this will be the type of resource that can help you grow into your love for working with natural ingredients. The photography included in this book is stunning, and it gets you so excited to use the natural options that they introduce to us.

Ingredient
Anjana
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of people out there who are doing research into what all consumers consume at any given time. It is for those people who make a conscious effort to keep an eye on what goes into the products on their shelf.This book is like that big encyclopedia that used to be an investment (at least that was the case at my home) which was to be brought down from the shelf to give a detailed answer to what we wanted to know before Google came. This is a very extensive book. It has possibly all ...more
Y.S. Stephen
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plant Powered Beauty is a look at alternatives to modern, synthetic cosmetics by using plant-based, but equally effective substitutes.

WHO WOULD ENJOY READING IT?
Anyone who is alarmed by the harsh effects of chemicals on their skin and is on a quest for alternatives.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT
The books goes a great length to explain the setup of ingredients on modern cosmetics and how to approximate the amount of what ingredient was used to manufacture products. Also, there is a section on the benefits
Elizabeth - Book Blogger
Owning 10-apiaries and a decent herb garden, I’ve blended my own natural skincare before this was exactly what I needed to inspire me to make new concoctions.

Sharing proven recipes and explanations of how and what to use with beautiful photos, the goal of this book is to get you feeling confident enough to try new mixtures.
With a comprehensive guide to essential oils and deconstructing labels in order to understand what ingredients were used proved to offer an in-depth understanding of today’s
Jeanne Grace
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from BenBella Books for my unbiased opinion of the book. I fell in love with this book! This is just what I have been looking for to solve my skin issues. I have very sensitive skin. I have been trying to get away from processed foods and all-natural ingredients from the food I eat and my skincare. I tried the Fresh Anti-Inflammatory and Brightening Facial Mask, Balancing Facial Scrub, and Sensitive Body Cleanser. I cannot wait to try all the recipes. The ...more
Elizabeth Grieve
This is a wonderful book for those who wish to make their own natural skincare products. I have been doing so on and off for many years, and loved this modern, comprehensive guide to making lots of marvellous recipes for cleansers, scrubs, face masks, moisturisers and much more. It goes into a lot of detail about ingredients of commercial products and explains why they are used. If you are concerned about what you put on your skin, look no further than this beautiful book and you too can learn ...more
Rachel
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provied by NetGalley

I loved that this book gave well formulated recipes, focused on sanitation and proper use, and gave a lot of very informative charts on ingredients. The recipes look good, but what I really love is the chapters on formulating and the charts on ingredient properties. There are also ample footnotes that point to their sources of information. They don't use preservatives, but I love that they didn't take a "all preservatives are bad" hard line. The author explained her
McKenzie Allyshia
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plant-Powered Beauty is absolutely gorgeously published; the photos are stunning. The writing is easy to follow and understand as well. Each recipe is accessible and simple. There are SO many wonderful and healthy do-it-yourself beauty products shared. This book is a real treasure. One that will be used for years to come! The instructions are easy to follow and allow for both beginners and more advanced individuals to create the perfect products. Not to mention, the authors break down the common ...more
Lili
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Netgalley for Review:

WOW this book is thorough! I have some experience with making my own skincare, but even I was not aware at exactly how many carrier oils there were...seriously...if you ever wanted to know all the various natural things that can be used in skincare this is a good guide and one I want a hard copy of once it is in print. This book definitely focuses on the how to and ingredients than the specific recipes, which is fine by me since I would want this book as more of a
Critterbee❇
Very intensive cookbook for making mainly plant-based skin care products for face and body, hair care products and other cosmetics.

The recipes are sometimes easy, but mostly pretty intricate, and sometimes even intimidating. This is for someone who is going all-in on making their own cosmetics, not really for the dabbler.

The thoroughness continues in the six pages of notes, very complete glossary, and resource list (for sourcing your ingredients).

Perfect for the person who makes homemade
Anastasiya
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book; The recipes I haven’t had a chance to try yet, so the jury is still out on that one.
But even if skipping the recipes, I’d still say this book is worth reading. They give explanations about how all the ingredients get made, how the skin works and why certain things work differently. I kind of wish there was a book dedicated just to explaining the details of how each essential oil works and maybe even more in-depth detail about how skin and body works. Overall, they gave
THT Steph
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful resource! As an herbalist I was aware of much of the information given, however, most people who have not been extensively trained in natural beauty ingredients can really benefit from the the details this book has to offer.
It is a pleasure to read a book that contains knowledgeable, honest, good, advice that has the readers safety as top priority. If you manufacture products, whether it be for just friends and family, or for resale, and are not a certified profession, do
Camille
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm into natural, non-harmful skincare, so this book is right up my alley. I am a beginner when it comes to making my own skincare and I would recommend this to other beginners. Everything is explained clearly.
The photographs are beautiful , which adds a nice touch to the wealth of information contained in the pages.

Disclaimer - I received a free digital copy courtesy of BenBella Books and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Meghan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced readers copy and have been looking for books for our 'NEW YEAR, NEW YOU" Display we are working on. This book had colorful pages and very in depth examples on cleanliness, organic and plant based foods that help you feel your best. I also liked how this book used graphics and charts to explain the benefits, foods, and rituals described in the book. If you are looking to give a vegan, organic lifestyle a try, this is the book to read. 5 Stars!
H
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book has some interesting recipes, the premise of the book rests on less than scientific claims and anecdotes. The authors are not doctors or scientists, but just two women with certificates in aromatherapy so it’s important to take anything in the book with a grain of salt and to consider doing your own research as well. Another minor gripe was the continued listing of essential oil blends (without ingredients) in the recipes.
Victoria Peipert
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Great, comprehensive ingredients, beautiful photography, and fun sounding recipes. I also appreciate that the author made a great point that these recipes being natural means they should be used quickly and that products bought in stores should have preservatives due to their shelf life needs. My only concern with that is some of her recipes are sizes that feel a little large and don't lend themselves to immediate use.
Kristy K
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, arc, netgalley
I've become more conscious of what is in the products I use, so was really excited to see a book showed a multitude of ways to use and create plant-based beauty products. Plant-Powered Beauty is extremely detailed and informative. Not only does it go into what each ingredient is and what they do, it also gives recipes for you to try at home.

Highly recommend for anyone who cares about the products they use and for those interested in discovering a possible new hobby.
Ashley H.
There were a few good tips, but there were so many funky ingredients in the recipes - stuff I've never even heard of and I have a ton of oils, butters, herbs, etc. at home. Plus, I got this ebook from my library's Hoopla account and the formatting was terrible.
Aspen Mitchell Mead
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book! Very informative on every step of the process. How to decipher the ingredients on product labels and how each ingredient is made. There’s even a section making your own almond milk! Full of charts and recipes, this is a great reference book I may add to my collection.
Sonee
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic and introductory book on plant-based ingredients. It goes through the different types of components that can be extracted and the benefits of a selection of them. It provides recipes for most beauty items that we use, encouraging us to make our own products. Makes it seem simple and easy.
Lara Maynard
The book is quite attractively produced, with nice photos, and quite a lot of information - maybe enough to start producing a whole skincare line if you were motivated enough.

As someone with multiple allergies and sensitivities, navigating the aisles of skincare, cosmetics and other personal care products is really not easy, so this book appealed to the part of me that might consider making my own products. But I found that anyone on the multi-allergic or multi-sensitivities side would not be
Abigail
I am always searching for more ways that I can use healthy and natural items around my house, so when I saw this book on NetGalley I thought it could be helpful. Thank you NetGalley for giving me a copy of this book.

At 256 pages this book was a fairly quick read. It was easy to follow along with, and I definitely learned some things. I'll be looking closer at the products that I buy from now on because of this book.

I don't think that I will be able to use any of the recipes in this book for
Elizabeth - Book Blogger
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Owning 10-apiaries and a decent herb garden, I've blended my own natural skincare before this was exactly what I needed to inspire me to make new concoctions.
With a comprehensive guide to essential oils and deconstructing labels in order to understand what ingredients were used proved to offer an in-depth understanding of today's
Chelsea Cummings
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is gorgeous from front to back. I love the idea of natural beauty-actually being natural. I get excited starting off that I may actually be able to change my routine with new products that I made from scratch. To be honest, I love the idea of all of that and that it will make me a better person. In reality, this is a life style change. I am not ready for that type of commitment nor do I think this change would be sustainable.

I came to this realization after spending weeks with this

• The Beauty Geek's Guide to Skin Care: 1,000 Essential Definitions of Common Product Ingredients
  • The Skincare Bible: Your No-Nonsense Guide to Great Skin
  • The Healing Power of Plants: The Hero Houseplants That Will Love You Back
  • Parisian Chic: A Style Guide
  • Homegrown Tea: An Illustrated Guide to Planting, Harvesting, and Blending Teas and Tisanes
  • Feel It Out
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 1 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 1] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #1)
  • たとえとどかぬ糸だとしても 1 [Tatoe Todokanu Ito da to Shite mo #1]
  • Sherlock: A Study in Pink #1
  • となりの怪物くん 2 [Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 2]
  • Sherlock: The Blind Banker #1
  • your name. Another Side:Earthbound, Vol. 2 (manga)
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 2 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 2] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #2)
  • Valuing: Poems
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 3 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 3] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #3)
  • となりの怪物くん 1 [My Little Monster 1]
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 4 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 4] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #4)
  • Pink