Start by marking “Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities” as Want to Read:
Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities

Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities

Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities is the fifth anthology from Brhel & Sullivan. It is a collection of dark fantasy stories which focuses on the interplay between the euphoric and lamentable moments of romantic commitments. These ten tales are light romances, which take turns through various fantasy subgenres such as science fiction, the paranormal, th ...more
Published February 10th 2018 by Cemetery Gates Media

Be the first to ask a question about Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities

Rebecca McNutt
Her Mourning Portrait definitely isn't your garden variety Harlequin romance! This anthology mixes elements of romance with more imaginative genres like horror, fantasy and paranormal, but it also throws in some humor to give each of the stories included in here an original edge unlike anything else. It reminded me vaguely of a modernized Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and the 1970's French film Rose De Fer at times, with some couples events taking place in a decrepit cemetery of all location ...more
Yamna Rashid
Thank you to the authors for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Book 8 of the get-them-known challenge

You know, I like this new tradition of reading a John Brhel / Joseph Sullivan every year. It’s been going on since 2016 and their books usually add a bit of spice to my reading.
As always, the story compilation ceased to disappoint (I have a feeling it’s mainly because I have a special place in my heart for horror/thriller books).
As with the other story compilation, this
Cameron Chaney
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities is the sixth book from John Brhel and Joe Sullivan, the creative minds behind the popular Corpse Cold: New American Folklore , which I read and reviewed earlier this year. Seeing as I loved Corpse Cold, I was excited when Brhel offered me a free copy of their latest anthology Her Mourning Portrait in exchange for an honest review.

This anthology is similar to Brhel and Sullivan's other books in that each story revolves around spooky happeni
Jeff Raymond
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll come out and say it - at this point, I'm not sure I like sort of traditional horror storytellers as much as I've been enjoying the output of Brhel and Sullivan.

Her Mourning Portrait is a collection of short paranormal tales, but this time with a bit of an angle toward romance and relationships. The result is a lot of short and simple, yet compellingly sophisticated stories that have a tendency to stick with you well after you're done.

Favorites included "Side by Side," which involved a widow
Seregil of Rhiminee
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Because I enjoyed reading Brhel and Sullivan's previous collections and found them highly enjoyable, I was excited about Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities and could hardly wait to read it. When I began to read it, I was glad to notice that the authors had once again done their best to write entertaining and thrilling stories.

Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities is a marvellous addition to supernatural dark fantasy and horror f
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: HER MOURNING PORTRAIT AND OTHER PARANORMAL ODDITIES

WILDLY IMAGINATIVE! With a continuing frisson of perturbation, each story deals with relationships: between mortals, between deceased, between mortals and deceased. In this collection, Love never ends. Nor does Vengeance, or Betrayal.

Almost every story in this collection I found unsettling. Many are perturbing,several are disturbing. All set hooks in my imagination and refuse to be uprooted. I actually feel like a different individual fo
Kat Dietrich
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her Mourning Portrait and Other Paranormal Oddities by John Brhel and Joseph Sullivan is an anthology of short stories encompassing romance from a different angle.

First, I’d like to thank both the authors, and Cemetery Gates Media for providing with an advanced reading copy in exchange for an unbiased review.

A brief synopsis of each of the stories follows:

• Her Mourning Portrait tells the tale of a dying woman who has a second chance when her husband paints her portrait.

• Side by Side explores t
Melody
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest and total review? 4.5 of 5 stars!

This is my favorite work of Bhrel & Sullivan's yet. The stories- all of which are short- all have fantastic twists to them that really rev up the vibe; just when you think they're coming to a nice, neat ending, something off-kilter pops up, and the story flies off again. I'm such of a fan of the writing style and overall work- I think these collaborators get better with each new work.

The only reason half a star is knocked off, is because of some minor
E.Y.E.-D
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, short-stories
This was a very well written set of short stories. It is different from the other books from these two authors though. Their other works have more of a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark vibe. This one is more of an emotional journey with some paranormal twists thrown in.

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this set of tales as they were not my normal type of read. But the way the stories were told kept them very engaging and got me feeling really connected with the characters.

I would
Ramona Plant
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her Mourning Portrait is a great collection of short stories by Brhel and Sullivan. I can very easily see these aired in the "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" since they have just that feel to them. They were very imaginative stories that range from romances to the occult or just plain weird. I read a few of these short story collections and I admit one of my favorites is probably the one about Dr. Marvelry, who makes an appearance as well as Mr. Green's Passion, which was very macabre.

Each one
Joseph Sullivan
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Stephania