Start by marking “Pick and Chews (A Barkery & Biscuits Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Pick and Chews (A Barkery & Biscuits Mystery)

Pick and Chews

(Barkery & Biscuits Mystery #4)

As a technician for a local vet and the owner of the Barkery & Biscuits dog bakery, Carrie Kennersly is proud to give back to the community by helping out with a rescue animal adoption event. She’s also happy to be in a relationship with veterinarian Dr. Reed Storme, despite his repeated pleas for her to butt out of the murder cases she keeps finding herself involved w

Kindle Edition
Published May 8th 2018 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about Pick and Chews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pick and Chews

Lisa Ks Book Reviews
I’ve read two other books in the Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries, and I really enjoyed them. Great characters, fun locations, and pets. A perfect trio for me in cozy mysteries.

PICK AND CHEWS has a well thought out plot. The murder comes later in the book which gives readers a chance to learn more about their surroundings and characters instead of jumping right into the murder.

Author Linda O. Johnston puts her all into each and every book she writes. PICK AND CHEWS, like her stories before, lea
Mithila
Thank you for sending me an e-ARC of this book to review.

I'm really sorry to say this, but I just couldn't complete reading this book. There were various grammatical errors. The plot seemed like it was going at a sluggish pace, and it wasn't paced well enough to keep the reader engaged into the book. While the summary of the book seemed interesting enough, the actual book itself disappointed me. Also, at times it felt that the author meandered away from the plot.

All in all, I wouldn't give this
Ann
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good little cozy series that always includes some great recipes for both canine and human consumption. Carrie and Reed are dating and Carrie is busy running her two bakeries and working part time with him at the veterinarian clinic. The clinic is interviewing for a new extra doctor and when an ex colleague of Reeds is found dead, he becomes the prime suspect. The small pet loving town expects Carrie to solve the murder and get everything back to normal.
Kirsti
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Ouch. The awkward moment where a book that should tick all the boxes ends up ticking none and you cannot wait for it to be over. Let me start by saying this is my first Linda O. Johnston book, although I have had them on my radar for many years. I even put the first book in this series on my Christmas wish list (Kind of hoping they pick one of the 50+ other options now) So I went into this with high expectations. They all
Kelly
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I voluntarily read this ARC**

The mystery was decent but it dragged a bit. It took way too long for the victim to be killed, and the pacing never really picked up from there. I was surprised by the killer, but by then I really didn't care who did it.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
So after giving the previous installment if the Barkery & Biscuits mystery a 3/5, which was still good, I am glad to say that this most recent installment jumped back up to 4/5. Carrie is still working double time and running her dual dog/people bakery as well as working part time as a vet time. Yet when her boyfriend's ex comes to town and tries to open a new vet clinic and suddenly winds up dead, she also takes on the role of amateur sleuth in order to clear many of her loved ones.

I will
Bonnye Reed
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GNab Pick and Chews is a sweet novel, a nice change of pace and one I thoroughly enjoyed. The protagonists are well rounded and likable, the bad guys are camouflaged until late in the tale, and the dogs are all adorable. I loved the interplay between Carrie Kennersly and the police as she tries to solve yet another murder to clear her friends - boyfriend Dr. Reed Storme and boss Dr. Arvus Kline - who are currently the prime suspects in the murder of fellow veterinarian Dr. Raela Fellner.

Ms. John
Mary Brown
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis:

Carrie Kennersly tries to help her veterinarian boyfriend when he's under suspicion of murder...Is he a keeper, or should she let him go off-leash for good?

As a technician for a local vet and the owner of the Barkery & Biscuits dog bakery, Carrie Kennersly is excited to host a rescue animal adoption event. She's also excited to be in a relationship with veterinarian Dr. Reed Storme, despite his pleas for her to butt out of the murder cases she keeps finding herself involved with. Ye
Tari
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read in this series so out of all fairness I am not familiar with this author's style but I can't honestly say I loved it, I just liked it. In places it was a little hard to get through, sometimes there was more regular chatter going on than was necessary (in my opinion) to solve a murder. On a positive note, there wasn't any unnecessary descriptions, just enough to know what was going on.

I do like the basic characters and have to say that even though Arvie, the mai
K.A. Davis
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars out of 5. PICK AND CHEWS, the fourth book in the Barkery & Biscuits Mystery series by Linda O. Johnston is a cute read for dog and pet lovers! Protagonist Carrie Kennersly is both a veterinarian technician and the owner of the Barkery & Biscuits pet bakery plus Icing on the Cake bakery for human treats. She has her hands full running her businesses with the help of great assistants, plus keeping her part-time job at the vet clinic in Knobcone Heights. I loved the location and t ...more
Alice Teets
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was given a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Carrie Kennersly is busy between working as a vet tech and running two bakeries; one for pets and one for humans. Plus she is in the beginning of a relationship with one of the veterinarians where she works and helps plan adoption events for the local shelter.

Her boss invites two potential new vets to interview for a veterinarian position. Her boyfriend used to work with these two doctors, but anot
Jessica Robbins
*I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley which I voluntarily chose to write an honest review for.

So I fell in love with Carrie and Biscuit back with book one so of course I just had to get my hands on this newest installment and I was not disappointed. This time Carrie gets wrapped up in the murder of vet that came to town and Reed is one of the main suspects since the two did not get along. Of all people to be murdered I have to say I was not upset at the choice for this one. That wa
Bree
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will have a howling good time reading this book! I love the treats, the villains (including the murder victim, seriously so happy to see that one dead) and the community that this novel is set with. You will find yourself drawn to solving the mystery with Carrie and you will want to cozy up in her barkery and enjoy seeing the pets!
Lisa Morin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really do not enjoy giving 1 star reviews. The errors with grammar, the plot and just the overall book itself was poorly done.
I was extremely disappointed in this book.
I did volunteer to read an ARC of this book provided by the publisher and NetGalley.
Barb
Carrie is busy running her two bakeries – one for people, one for pups – and working part-time as a veterinarian technician. When Reed, her boyfriend and one of the vets at the clinic, is accused of murder, she sets out to clear his name and find the killer.

This is the fourth book in the Barkery and Biscuits series, and this was my least favorite in the series. The relationships between the characters didn't seem to gel as well as in previous books, especially between Carrie and Reed. The murde
Lynne
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was a fun cozy. It never really grabbed my attention and it was easy to put down. I liked the characters. Carrie is very attached to her precious "Biscuit". All the players in the story are animal lovers from the cops to the council member. I did wonder about the murderer before the big reveal. But the person was not at the top of my list. I think another thing that made it more difficult for me was the language and wording used. At times I had to read the sentence twice to get the authors ...more
Kathleen
What drew me to this story was that I did read the previous book and did want to continue the story but I really liked the cover.

I felt this story was off to a slow start. I didn’t have a nice warm & fuzzy feeling for Carrie & Reed. I really hope they don’t make it as a couple.

As for the murder & solving it, in my opinion it took way too long to happen and then solve.
This is a standalone story that you do not need to read any of the others. You are told what you need to know and the
Kory Bull
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I have read the first three and fell in live with the characters. This book had a great pace. The mystery had me going back and rereading parts to see if I had missed a clue. I highly recommend this book and series.
Kathleen Gray
Hmm.. I liked the last book (which was the only one I'd read) but this felt less successful, in part because Carrie did not feel as engaging this time around. It IS a classic cozy, with an intrepid female amateur detective trying to solve a murder while running a unique business (bakery for dogs) and having a relationship with a guy (Reed) who wants her to stop investigating- until he's the one under the spotlight for murder. It also felt like this installment was written by rote. Thanks to Netg ...more
Donna
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie is back and this time it is her boyfriend that’s in the hot seat. Yep, this time it is Reed who is under suspicion for murder and now he is okay with Carrie playing amateur sleuth.
This fun story will keep you guessing and re-guessing up until the very end. Join Carrie and Biscuit and the gang as they try to say Dr. Reed and thus save Reed and Carrie’s relationship.
Brenda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Pick and Chews is the fourth installment in the Bakery and Biscuits Mystery series located in the small town of Knobcone Heights and featuring baker and vet technician Carrie Kennersly. Things are going well for Carrie; both her human and pet bakeries are doing a brisk business, her part time job at the veterinarian hospital is keeping her close to boyfriend Reed Storme and her joint adoption events with the Mountaintop Rescue have been very successful.

With the retirement of Dr. Angela Regles fr
Cindi
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you’re somewhat of a successful sleuth, what happens when your boyfriend is one of the top suspects in the most recent murder? That’s what Carrie Kennersly finds out when her boyfriend is accused of murdering a former colleague who has come to town. Lots of suspects, lots of speculation, but little that drew me in and captured my attention.

I found the story dragging on and the writing style clunky. While others complain of grammatical errors, ARCs clearly state that the book is not edited o
Mayank Rathore
This one is what I call a mild crime and mystery novel. I didn't find any grammatical errors in my version of the book as I think that the publisher has already fixed them up. But that should not be the point of view for readers until the book is released because until then this is publisher's work and as a reviewer, I will always say that to only him/her (Until releasing.).
As for my review, I didn't like the story that much just like other fellow reviewers because a lot could have been done wi
Sandra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Carrie and Biscuit come to work to vet clinic one day, emotions are running high. Her boyfriend Dr.Reed is arguing with his former collegue Dr.Raela, who has come for an job interview and ugly words are said. Situation is defused but not long after, Dr.Raela ends up dead. Although Reed usually minds Carrie's ""investigation"" this time he needs her help.
Interesting mystery and a cleverly told story. Real treat for all animal lovers, especially dogs.
Bonus treat, scrumptious recipes both for
Paula Ratcliffe
Kristin
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this as much I liked the other books, but I just felt Carrie was really obnoxious in her investigating and it turned me off. I gave all the other books in the series 5 stars but just didn't feel this one deserved it because I didn't enjoy it as much. The mystery was still great and I enjoyed the development of the characters' relationships over the series. I will read the next one and hopefully enjoy it more.
Tracy Marrs
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie who runs 2 bakeries, 1 for pets, and 1 for people also works part-time at the local vet office where she is also dating one of the veterinarians, Reed. Reed has contacted a few of his old office colleagues to help fill a position at this office. When one of the old colleagues ends up dead, Carrie sets out to solve the case. This is a fun read trying to put together all the clues to discover the killer before it is revealed.
JoAnn
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pick and Chews is a great cozy mystery. The author is new to me and I enjoyed her writing..
Marie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book. The characters growth from the last one in the series was evident. A decent mystery, a little romance, furry friends and tasty food. Who could ask for more!
Kay Garrett
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PICK AND CHEWS by Linda O. Johnston is the fourth book in the Barkery & Biscuits Mystery series.

It’s the story of Carrie Kennersly, owner of Bakery & Biscuits and Icing On The Cake, part time veterinary technician at the Knobcone Veterinary Clinic, and a pretty good amateur sleuth when it comes to solving murders.

Bakery & Biscuits and Icing OnThe Cake is really one business but with two entrances. They share a central kitchen where goodies for both four legged critters and humans are
Linda O. Johnston's first published fiction appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for Best First Mystery Short Story of the Year. Since then, Linda has had more short stories and novellas published, plus, by the end of 2018, she will have had fifty novels published, including mysteries and romance.

Linda currently writes the Barkery and Biscuits Myst

Barkery & Biscuits Mystery (5 books)
  • Bite the Biscuit (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #1)
  • To Catch a Treat (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #2)
  • Bad to the Bone (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #3)
  • For a Good Paws