Start by marking “Girls & Boys” as Want to Read:
Girls & Boys

Girls & Boys

An unexpected meeting at an airport leads to an intense, passionate, head-over-heels relationship. Before long they begin to settle down, buy a house, juggle careers, have kids – theirs is an ordinary family.

But then their world starts to unravel and things take a disturbing turn.

A tragic, violent look at parenthood and trauma.
Published February 8th 2018 by Oberon Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Girls & Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls & Boys

Start your review of Girls & Boys
Amy Bartol
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to Girls & Boys as an audiobook read by Carey Mulligan. (It's more accurate to say she "acted it out"--it was performed by Carey Mulligan because I could visualize every word she said.) I first listened to the sample, which was, quite possibly, the funniest snippet of an audiobook I've ever heard--and spot on as far as human nature goes...so I bought it, not really reading what this play was about. To be honest, it was Carey Mulligan that attracted me to the monologue. I saw her ...more
Dem
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dem by: Sonja, and Tania
Shelves: audible, recommended
What an amazing piece of theatre. The performance by Carey Mulligan really is stunning and thought provoking and what a wonderful way to experience theatre without having to leave the comfort of your own home and it was free for Audible Subscribers

I suggest if you are going to listen to this production that you take the 1 hour and 40 minutes, sit down and give this your full attention with no interruptions as if you were sitting in a theatre.

NOTE * This is a dark piece and some people might
Tomas
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Chrissie
I am reviewing the Audible Original version of the Off-Broadway play Girls & Boys starring BAFTA Award winner and Academy & Tony Award nominee Carey Mulligan. The play was written by playwright Dennis Kelly in 2016.

I went into the performance knowing very little. I recommend others to do the same. I struggled at the beginning and have come out applauding. At the beginning, I struggled with the excessive use of swear words. I struggled to feel empathy. I struggled to relate and then
Erin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Performed by Carey Mulligan. Directed by Lyndsey Turner 1:46:24
One of the Audible Original selections for September, this was one heck of a devastatingly beautiful performance of the evolution of one couple's relationship. Carey Mulligan is IMHO a brilliant actress that nails every role she takes on and Girls &Boys is no different. It's worth your time, but make sure vulnerable ears are not around as there is strong language and a horrific situation that occurs.
Sonja Arlow
WOW I was blown away by this play.

I have been struggling with audio books lately, not finding enough time to really listen for long stretches, so this was perfect. Short, powerful and attention grabbing.

Carey Mulligan you were a fantastic narrator!

The story may start off on a light and funny note, but it turns a dark corner quite quickly. The less you know the better, just dive in.
Dannii Elle
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the transcript for this extraordinary piece of one-person theatre and was spellbound from the very first page and left open-mouthed on the very last. The entire piece is one extended monologue, and as the female talks her audience through the details of her life the sickening details are slowly unfurled with a deadly precision and perfection of timing that left my both spellbound and horrified.
Tatiana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, plays
Wonderfully performed by Carey Mulligan. Became a bit of a lecture in the end.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Carey Mulligan is amazing, and performs this one-woman play on the stage as well. The playwright at the end talks about the small changes they made to make it work for audio. She is great, the subject matter is difficult, and the topic of violence toward women and children was just not really what I needed another reminder of this weekend.
Tania
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely awe-inspiring!

The performance by Carey Mulligan was incredible. I was captivated from word one, and I actually wished for more traffic, so I could finish this almost 2 hour audible play.

I would never have known about this play if not for the fact that audible now gives us the option to choose two free audible originals every month. Be prepared for an intense roller coaster ride - while listening to this you will experience many emotions, but boredom will certainly not be one
Krissy
This was utter perfection. I'm deeply moved and a lot emotional right now. Carey Mulligan was AMAZING. Probably one of the best narrations I've ever listened to.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Unforgettable....play that has just started
a its run in the West End.

It is just one actress…telling her story.
Carey Mulligan is on the stage alone for 90 minutes
..in Dennis Kelly's new play at The Royal Court Theatre London
This must surely win an Olivier Award this year!
Review

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook #209

Wow! Just blown away
The monologue was superb done by Cate Mulligan
And no I did not see that coming
Jaimie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2019
Absolutely incredible. This very short, concise, yet beautiful monologue shocked me. I listened to the audible original recording of Girls & Boys performed by Carey Mulligan, knowing nothing about it. Only that I had two people telling me I must listen to it immediately.

They were so right. This is crushing. Heartbreaking. Relevant. Made me cry. Such an incredible feat for such a short listen. [The audible recording is 1 hour 46 minutes.]

I suggest you don't read any more reviews. Just leap in
Laurelin Paige
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking
Tracey
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew absolutely nothing about this book when I bought it. I like Carey Mulligan and it was only a few dollars so I thought I would give it a chance.

The first 2/3 was completely uninteresting to me, and I normally would have DNF'd it but it was so short that I figured I might as well finish it. And the THE GIANT PLOT TWIST happened and I'm glad I did stick with it. It's still only a 3 star book, but what a ride.
Janet
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning! Unbelievable performance by Carey Mulligan. I received this Audible original free from Audible and was prepared for something mediocre....what a surprise. If you have an Audible account, you must listen to this right now!

This was written as a stage play, a monologue by a woman who has been a victim of domestic violence....it is absolutely chilling and made me replay my own life and how things could have taken a wrong turn and had disastrous results.
Dawn C
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-audible
Dennis Kelly has written a monologue about toxic masculinity but then refuses to use the term even though that’s exactly what it’s about. Sorry but I lost all respect. He *just* said little boys are brought up with playing with toy guns and violence is “part of their lives” and yet the “problem” is that society tries to stop men. No, just no, that’s *literally* not the problem at all, does he even understand cause and effect? Two stars for Carey Mulligan’s performance, zero for the story.
Philip
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5ish stars.

Great audiobook production with narration by Carey Mulligan.
Brendan Monroe
Q. Is a play a book?

A1. Hmm ...

Q. Is it still a book if you listen to it?

A. No, almost certainly not then.

You're right, but I'm reviewing this one anyway because it just BEGS to be talked about.

What's so great about it?

Carey Mulligan's performance, first and foremost, was unbelievable. This isn't an audiobook but rather a beautifully acted monologue. I'm not sure any other actor could have really pulled this off. Mulligan has performed "Girls & Boys" in front of audiences, and I'm sure
Megan Crawford
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My best friend recommended this play to me. She read it on a whim because she wanted a quick read and it captivated her so strongly that she was in a haze the rest of the day. I was worried she had over-hyped it and I was going to be let down, but I was so wrong. This monologue does real justice to such a serious and tragic topic. The brevity of the book really worked to enforce how sudden and jarring death can be. My emotions were all over the place and I appreciated every second of it. This ...more
Amina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good God!! Good God!! Good GOD!!!
This was brilliant!
That's all I have to say!
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This play was stunning, shocking, sad and unforgettable. Carey Mulligan was riveting. I loved the quiet way she handled the material. I love the little moments in which Kelly had the woman break the fourth wall and speak directly to the audience. And that little warning where she reminds me that what I was afraid was coming is actually coming, but also provides the trigger warning and then says to me that I need to remember it isn't happening to me and isn't happening now... that moment ...more
Kelsey Harrington
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
When I heard that Carey Mulligan was reviving her performance of this play in NYC, I was desperate to go. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the trip work but I lucked out with the release of this audiobook.

I hold the belief that Carey Mulligan is a singular, phenomenal talent. She really brings this play to life, so that even listening from my desk I could easily visualize her moving around the stage. This play had me breathless on the edge of my seat, completely wrapped up in the story she was
Brooke
This was... different.

The last 30% was where it really picked up for me.

Excellent narrative for this put together by audible.
Belles
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z2018
Boring. At least it was a free audiobook.
Nicole D.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audible has this new thing where you get two free audible originals each month. Last month one of those was this play by David Kelly. It was so good.

A one person show performed by Carey Mulligan, the performance was brilliant. The topic relevant, interesting, sad, harsh. Well worth the listen.
Joanie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not so much a book as it is a monologue that has been adapted to be an audible book read by Carey Mulligan. Damn! She should win some sort of award for what she did with Dennis Kelly's words. I was sick to my stomach before I even finished this series of stories. So powerful! I don't know how to describe it without giving too much away, but it is worth listening to the monologue as well as Dennis Kelly talk about it at the end. Fabulous.
Bethany Ames
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is so not what I thought it would be. I know the reviews said “there will be a huge twist” and “the ending is violent” I honestly didn’t think it would be this. This story is full of many twists and a lot of heartache and in the end you’re just left stunned as you try to reconcile everything that has happened. I don’t think any other narrator could have pulled off the level of sass and sadness and anger as well as Carey Mulligan does.
Jana
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Carey Mulligan.

Oh my. This a stunner of a listen.

Audible original of a play that is entirely a one woman monologue. I’m not going to be okay.
Play Book Tag: Girls and Boys - Dennis Kelly 5/5 3 19 Oct 20, 2018 07:34PM

• Killer by Nature
  • The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey
  • Where Should We Begin? The Arc of Love
  • The Last Days of August
THEATRE INCLUDES: Debris (Theatre503/BAC); Osama the Hero (Hampstead); After the End (Paines Plough/Traverse/The Bush/UK and international tour); Love and Money (Young Vic/Royal Exchange); Taking Care of Baby (Hampstead/Birmingham Rep); Orphans (Paines Plough/Traverse/Birmingham Rep/Soho). Plays for young people include: DNA (National Theatre) and Our Teacher is a Troll (National Theatre of ...more
“We did not create societies for men, we created them to stop men.” 6 likes