Start by marking “Quest for Leviathan” as Want to Read:
Quest for Leviathan

Quest for Leviathan

Leviathan took the life of Anath’s father. Anath has spent three years preparing for the voyage that will end the threat of Leviathan. Yet as the Valor launches into the depths of the Mediterranean, an inward quest also begins, taking Anath to depths he is not willing to face.

A short story.
Published June 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Quest for Leviathan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quest for Leviathan

Start your review of Quest for Leviathan
Greg Watson
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"it is not the dragon in the sea over which you must gain victory, but the dragon within."

In Quest for Leviathan, Amanda offers an inspiring story of a man trying to avenge his father's death by hunting Leviathan at sea. Amanda uses the story to present profound insights on inner turmoil, grief, and trusting in God's providence.

Christians can read it as devotional reading. Non-Christians can find in it an example of Christian fiction and Christianity at its best.

Take time to read this. You wil
Faith
I've been pleased with every short work I've read by Ms. Tero. This fictional take on the tale of the leviathan from Job 41 was no exception.

The story itself was great, offering clear detail without being wordy. The setting was well researched and I enjoyed the connection to Job 41, a chapter that has always intrigued and yet confused me.

The theme and message of God's plans above our own was tastefully done, speaking to me without overloading the few short pages.

4.5 stars!

A favorite quote ~
Olivia
I love everything about this book...from the setting, to the quest, and then the great Leviathan. I was pulled into the story from the beginning! I especially loved the details and the illustrations. Once more, Amanda has brought forth the Salvation message in a clear, beautiful well. I'm always excited to read her new works and there hasn't been one that has disappointed. I highly recommend!!

*I received this book to read in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.*
Amanda Tero
Jan 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Inspired from Job 41, "Quest for Leviathan" is around 4,000 words. I consider this to be historical fiction, not fantasy. Yes, the Leviathan is a sea monster, but I believe that there was indeed a true "fire breathing dragon" named the Leviathan! This was a fun story to write amongst all of the challenges!
R.A.
Wow, that was really good! I've read the passage in Job about the Leviathan, but this is the first fiction-story I've read about it. Believe me when I say it was amazing!

When I first heard Amanda was writing this, I knew I'd want to read it, so I marked it to-read - that was several months ago! I'm so glad I got to read it now! :)

I can't say a lot because of spoilers, but it was a great read, and I know one you'd enjoy it!

There was an amazing message and it was so encouraging! I also loved the i
Abigayle Claire
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very quick read that did a good job with powerful imagery, strong writing, a surprisingly well-developed spiritual arc, and what seemed like era-appropriate dialogue. It was enjoyable and packed a punch. The illustrations added a lot!
Nicki Chapelway
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I've always found the Leviathan fascinating so this was an intriguing read for me.

To be honest, I would have liked to have seen more action with the Leviathan, but this was an extremely short story and the main focus of it was Anath's spiritual journey. I don't generally like to read stories so short, but this story came to a satisfying conclusion. The pictures were really cool.

I received a free copy of this book from the author, all opinions, however, are my own.
Kate Willis
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

This story was short but very meaningful. It was a little slow to get into at first, but I ended up liking it. 😉 I loved the descriptions of the sea, and Joed bringing to Anath’s attention the miracle that it was was amazing. Kanah was, of course, my favorite character. He was so loyal… 😉 But, oh wow! The description of Leviathan was creepy! I’ve always been
Hannah
So... I really enjoyed this story of the days of old and a sea monster of which we know little. Anath's quest to bring the animal down for killing his father is obviously a common reaction to losing a family member—but is it a worthy one?

The writing is beautiful, with well-crafted descriptions that make you feel as though you are sitting in a front-row seat to the action. I also love the careful weaving in of what God calls us to, and the pages at the back with a clear salvation message.

All in
Allyson
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author Amanda Tero has done a fantastic job adapting an aspect of the book of Job into an adventure-packed short story! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Anath's thirst for revenge and how God uses his hardships to reveal His divine plan to Anath. My favorite character in the story was Joed, as he was full of Godly wisdom and did not judge Anath for his actions. The descriptions in the story were vivid and well-crafted, making me feel as if I were on the trireme with the characters. The author ...more
Addy S.
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Amanda, you are a really good writer! Thanks so much for giving me an ARC of your short story!

This follows a young man who lost his father to the fire-breathing Leviathan, and now, he wants to get revenge. Yet, through it all, he meets the One who created the Leviathan, and things change drastically for him.

A very inspiring story, and I definitely recommend!

The only negative thing I could find about it is that it’s a short story! I would love it if this was made into a novella!

Great job.
T
Rebekah Morris
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first heard about this book, I wasn't too sure I would enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of most biblical fiction, but it was an author I've enjoyed, so I decided to try it. I needn't have worried.
Very well written, this story takes you to the Mediterranean shore and introduces to characters you want to know more about. While short, the story didn't feel chopped. And the illustrations were a wonderful added touch to the time and place.

While the author admits this time period is difficult to res
Bethany
The Biblical account of Leviathan (found in the book of Job) always fascinated and intrigued me, since the powerful creature described there was obviously some type of dragon/dinosaur that lived right alongside man. So I was very excited and pleased to discover that Miss Tero was releasing a Historical Fiction short story about an exciting hunt across the waves in a man-powered ship to find the great and terrible beast, Leviathan. That being said I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from the sto ...more
Angela R. Watts
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Epic! The writing style was intriguing and clear. The characters were wonderful, and the main character's journey and lessons learned were so realistic and brilliantly done. The way Scripture was brought in was AMAZING. Also, Leviathan! YESSS. I love stories with that creature... so terrible... this story did a great job.
Bekah
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksreadin2018
I have read a couple books by this author and I really enjoyed them, so when I had the chance to read and review an advanced copy of this book in preparation for its release, I jumped at it. Let's just say I was not disappointed.

What I Liked: Amanda Tero did a great job with this short story. She definitely has a special knack for short stories. As a writer I can understand how hard it can be to write a whole story in just a few thousand words that doesn't leave too many details out or seem rush
Karis
God’s ways are higher, but we as feeble and nearsighted children of dust often fail to see it. Struggle to accept His will. To surrender to His ways. Amanda Tero develops this lesson beautifully all throughout “The Quest for Leviathan.” In Anath’s journey to take revenge for his father’s death at the hands of the Leviathan, the reader can see themselves foolishly shaking their fists at God, fighting him, arrogantly saying that we know what’s best for us more than God does.

I completely recommend
Luisa Knight
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, children
Here's a wonderful short story to read as a family!

With some illustrations for the younger children and a moving plot that will keep all engaged, this is a good, fifteen minute read to add to your morning devotions. It is full of valuable truths and addresses some of the bigger issues that each of us most likely will face at some point in life; namely how to handle our hearts when our desires are crossed by life.

Be sure to follow it up with a time of question and answer as well. Your children
Kellyn Roth
Title: Quest for Leviathan

Author: Amanda Tero

Genre: Historical Fiction

Era: Biblical – Time of Job

Publisher: Amanda Tero

Source: from author (in exchange for honest review)

Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

Quest for Leviathan by Amanda Tero

I’ve said “WOW!” a lot in reference to this novel. “Wow” when I heard that Amanda was writing it, as in, “Wow, I can’t wait to read that!” “Wow” when I saw the cover. And, finally, “Wow” when I finished the book.

However, I have to write an entire review using other words
Faith
Title: Quest for Leviathan
Written by: Amanda Tero
Genre: Biblical Fiction
Recommended ages: 10 & up

Introduction:
I have always loved the idea of Leviathan from Job 41 and what he might be like. Amanda Tero brought that brief description to life in this book and wove in an important message while she did so.

Characters: 1/1
There were very few characters who had speaking parts in this story, but each of them had a distinct personality and quality to them. I especially liked Joed.

Dialogue: 1/1
The autho
Hanna
That was a great short story--great development, short and to the point, with a clear message. It kept reminding me of Moby-Dick, since I've recently read it--but it was much better. Actually quite the opposite of Moby-Dick. The setting wasn't developed in-depth, but because it was a short story, and because there's not a whole of research to do for this particular era, I found no problem with it.

The way the characters shared their wisdom with Anath was really nice. Again, the message was p
Victoria Goodbrand
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well written! It was crafted together with skill and the whole thing was well written. The drawings inside that went along with the story were amazing! I just loved them!
I really liked the story. It was very interesting and not a piece of history people write about. The struggle Anath came to accept was so relatable, I loved the faith content, the setting and the characters you felt like you knew all your life instead of just for a few minutes. For such a short story, it’s very moving and
Lila Kims
Anath is out for revenge. The beast called Leviathan took his father's life. Now Anath has determined to take the Leviathan's.

What a strong short story!

Despite the sea-dwelling dragon, which is usually a fantasy creature and nothing more, Quest for Leviathan is historical fiction. The Bible clearly indicates that a creature called Leviathan once lived. It's really cool to me how Job 41 inspired this story, and I could almost feel the heart behind it. Inspiration from the Word of God is the best
Raechel Lenore
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was a great short story. It was unique, and definitely captivating, even though the pages were few. And the illustrations were splendid! I love the depth they added. Very well done. In ways, the short story gave off a slightly How to Train Your Dragon (book not movie) feel, but that could very well just be me. ;)
It had a Christian message of surrender which was very good.
My only "complaint", if you can call it that, is that it was too short. I would've loved to read even a novella length o
Kaitlyn S.
From the time I heard of this book, I was anxious to read it. The one home school study that I recall as being the most fun and informative was the study we did about dragons — Leviathan being one of them. And as I read this little gem, I desperately wished it had been written ten years earlier — this would have been the perfect short story to read in an afternoon to come along the study and reinforce it in our little minds!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was well written, the plot was well
Abigail
This was really good!! I have always loved the book of Job and this was a great biblical fiction about the 41 chapter of Job. Believe me when I say this was amazing. I believe everyone should read this book. It probably took me ten minutes to read it. It was a very short but amazing short story.

Amanda did a great job on her research. Even though there isn't really that much research out there about this time in history, Amanda did a great job at keeping it historically accurate.

I don't want to
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone of all ages.
(3.5 Stars)

Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

I think this was an interesting topic for the author to write about. I've never read anything like this, to be honest. It's set in Job's time, and although we really don't have much information on that, Miss Tero wrote it wonderfully. I really think it's amazing to know a fire-breathing creature existed a long time ago, but it's so weird that nothing like that is in this time now.

Anath was, overall, an okay character. He had been dealing
Janell R.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a personal friend of Amanda's I always enjoy ever opportunity I get to read and review her work. Having read her first works and accompanied her on her journey as an indie author, it has been an absolute pleasure to see how she has developed her talents and her author voice. This was such a great short story! I have to say that chapter 39 of Job has always fascinated me, and I have always loved the descriptions of leviathan and behemoth. I would love to know what they actually looked like in ...more
Mikayla
I do not normally enjoy biblical fiction, but this was a very different look at it. Set back not to long after the flood, this deals with the Leviathan. I have always been interested in the Leviathan, so I found it really fun to actually read a story on them. The discription of them was so vivid I felt like I could see it for myself and I loved it. Especially that eerie picture of it coming out of the water.
The message was clear and well done.

There were only two small problems I had. 1. I felt
Esther Filbrun
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful little story! I was drawn in right away, and although it’s short, I found myself really siding with the characters and hoping they’d win. Along with the main character, I hoped he would be able to come to peace after his father’s death, but life has it’s way of throwing curveballs and things don’t always go the way one has planned.

Learning to surrender to God is a big theme of this story, and one I needed to hear. I loved the simple way the author presented the thoughts, and wh
Cate
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I really enjoyed this biblical fiction. The characters were well-developed, and Tero did great with her descriptions. I felt as though Anath were Job, as he was being self-righteous about his father. I also thought that the illustrations were so good! My favorite was the one with Anath's hands raised in the air. The ending was very satisfying. I only wish that he didn't get hurt in the boat fight. Otherwise, I think that Amanda Tero has outdone herself with this short story! This story is a good ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kiera
  • Live Without You
  • I Don't Dance
  • When Beauty Blooms
  • Porch Swing Girl (Tradewinds, #1)
  • Love Blind
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • If Only It were Yesterday (A Season Passed, #1)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Case of the Cereal Robber (The Kitten Files, #3)
  • Yesterday's Christmas (A Season Passed, #2)
  • Dance With Me (Art of Love, #1)
  • The Great Lab Escape (The Kitten Files #0.5)
  • A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses  (My Time in Amar #1)
  • Esther Ashton's New Dress
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Baby Mine
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more