Start by marking “The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)

The Hanging Tree

(Doctors of Darkness #2)

What if you couldn’t remember the worst night of your life?
What if you couldn’t forget it?

May 13, 1994.

On her thirteenth birthday, newly orphaned Evie, witnesses a brutal attack at the hanging tree. She wakes the next morning on a bus to Los Angeles, dazed and bruised and desperate to remember. Her best friend died that night—she’s sure of it. But there’s no body, no crime
Published April 1st 2018 by Ellery Kane Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging Tree

Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2018
First off I want to say that I did receive an early copy of this novel but I also bought my own, so this in no way effects my thoughts on this novel.

Why on earth did I not read this sooner!? This author always pulls me into every story that she writes even if it's not normally a genre that I would reach for. this story is dark and full of mystery but the characters are the true shinning stars of her work, they always have been for me and this one is no different. The world building is always gr
Cathy
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hanging Tree by Ellery Kane is one of those books that you are not going to want to put down so make sure you have plenty of time to read!
Something happened to Evie's friend on the day Evie turned 13....what happened though even Evie is not sure and she was right there at the Hanging Tree when it happened.....
Very well written with characters that come alive in your mind. Excellent story with dark twists and turns that leave you turning the pages to see where it leads. Thank you Ellery Kane
Jessica Bronder
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Evie’s thirteenth birthday she witnesses her best friend, Cassie killed at the Hanging Tree. But she wakes the next morning on a bus, battered, and not completely sure of what happened. It’s been 23 years and she still doesn’t really know who killed Cassie. Now she works as a therapist for sexual predators and still wants to know what happened. So she starts hitchhiking in the same area to jog her memory but finds more than what she expected.

When Butch was a teenager her lost his family and
HeidiLynns BookReviews
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, I want to thank Ellery Kane for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

WOW!! What an amazing read from Ellery Kane with the Hanging Tree!!! She was not kidding when it said right on the cover some nights were left unforgotten!! This is the second book I have read from her and she did not disappoint me! I love her writing style and chilling story line that draws you into the story like no other does. Now every time I see a big hanging tree it will give me chills!!
This
Pat
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Catch up review. 3.5 stars.

I really don't remember much about this either, unfortunately. I liked it but didn't think it was great. Its all about what a young girl witnesses from this hanging tree when she was 13 but can't remember all the details - like the face of the villain. I think I'd had enough of stories involving amnesia at this point. I know it happens but its not THAT common. Cut to the present and she's some sort of therapist and another girl is killed at the hanging tree which she c
Candice Navejar
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
did not want to put down

I read the book in 3 days. It was a great read. I wasn't happy with the ending but everything else was great. It had a few surprises.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
I got this one as ARC but I was not able to finish it.It didn't even started good for me,so I gave up pretty fast.Sorry.
Becky
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great right up until the very end where I was like WTF.

This one took me longer to get into than the first one did but once I was into it, I really liked it. I’m dying for more books about Cutthroat Cullen and I really like Evie and Butch but that ending came out of nowhere.

Maybe it just needs explored further ....????
OpenBookSociety.com

By Ellery A. Kane
ISBN# 9780692053591
Author’s Website: http://ellerykane.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

She saw him strangling her best friend, Cassie. She was up in the tree witnessing the whole ordeal taking place below, and then nothing… She woke up the next morning, battered and bruised, on a bus to L.A. having completely forgotten what happened.

It’s been 23 years and Evie still can’t remember what ha
Cath
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book switches time frames from events that took place in 1994 and 2017, with two main points of view, from the main characters, Butch and Evie. On the night of Evie’s 13th birthday, she goes out, from the care home she has stayed at since the death of her mother, for the night with her best friend Cassie. Something horrible happens that night, at the Hanging Tree. Something which haunts her memories every day for over twenty three years.

She saw her best friend being killed, while she was up
Melanie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
When I read Daddy Darkest I knew Ellery would be one of those authors I always go back too. I noticed The Hanging Tree (Second book in the series, but these are standalones and could be read in any order) was on Kindle Unlimited I had to give it a go! I literally consumed this book in 1 sitting over a Sunday and could not put it down.

The Hanging Tree is told from 2 points of view, Evie and Butch. 2 very different characters, yet tied together but a series of events that happened in the past. The
Rebecca Austin
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: trsor
Doctor Evelyn Maddox was found when she was 13 years old bruised and battered and newly orphaned with no memories of what happened to her. Now as an adult she stares at a tree outside her office, which she has named The Hanging Tree and knows it has relevance to her past.

Butch Calder has spent the last 23 years in jail but has never forgotten about events that led him to jail in the first place. Now he is off to figure out the truth behind the events.

Can Evie get her memories back in time and wi
Beverly Laude
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
On her 13th birthday, Evie witnesses the murder of her friend Cassie under a tree. But, years later, she can't remember any of the details. Was Cassie really killed or was it her imagination?

Butch Calder was a troubled young man, turning to violence and drink after the tragic death of his entire family. He starts dating a beautiful young socialite, Gwen, and tries to impress her with a fast car and lies.

Another pivotal character is the evil pimp/drug dealer, Trey, who killed Evie's mother. He ha
Ashley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Ellery Kane that I’ve read. I was extremely pleased, and surprised, with the quality of this book. I knew that it was a psychological thriller and, knowing that, I was prepared and excited even for a book with content such as what was within this novel. However, what I didn’t expect was the raw power and poise with with Kane writes. Her characters are poignant and relatable, raw and scarred. They are multi-dimensional and complex and each page reveals a new trait.

The st
Norma
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The curtains open ..."
Kane's book is a clever constructed mystery thriller, written in the first person, which moves between two main protagonists, relating both the current occurrences in the present days of 2017 and their recollections of events in 1994. Dr.Evelyn Maddox, now working with sex offenders on parole, is still haunted by a trauma which took place on her thirteenth birthday when she lost her friend, Cassie, and still blamed herself, trying to recall, unsuccessfully, the face of an
Lita Thomas
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness #2) by Ellery Kane is the next story in the series of doctors in the psychiatric field who have psychological issues of their own. Evie has lived with a drug addicted mother and her drug dealer boyfriend . When the mom dies she finds herself in a group home. At 13 she experiences a trauma under the hanging tree and awakes on a bus in another place with no knowledge of how she got there. Years later she comes back to unravel what happened to her all those yea ...more
Loreana Maier
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-ebook
Great story, confusing and complicated style.

Butch and Evie have had difficult childhoods, each progressed through the adversity differently. The saga revolves around murder, memory loss, drugs, prostitution and violence. You get to see detailed windows into Butch and Evie's struggles to get beyond what can't be remembered, and how they deal with the consequences of their past actions.

This is the first book I've ready by Ellery Kane. I really like the story line presented, Kane does a great job
Hope Gerhardstein
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book! Evie’s Mother is a drug addicted prostitute who dies while Evie is still young. Evie ends up growing up in L.A. but moves back to her hometown after becoming a psychologist who deals with sexual offenders. The tree outside her office reminds her of her of a bad memory from her 13th Birthday, but she can’t remember all the details. She puts herself in a dangerous situation and is saved by Bruce who is 5 months out of Folsom for killing a girl. A murder occurs at the hanging tree a ...more
Katie Thompson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling Dark Mystery

Evie's best friend Cassie was raped and murdered under The Hanging Tree on Evie's 13th birthday. Now, she's a counselor and therapist for sex offenders, with her office right beside that tree. Butch Calder served a sentence in Fulsom Prison for killing a girl. The two seem to keep crossing paths, and another young girl is found murdered beneath that tree.

The story switches from Evie and Butch, and their present and past. The emotions are raw, numb, awkward, and so vividly
Gail A.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is brilliant in capturing the essence of friendship, justice, addiction, betrayal, determination, forgiveness and hope. One of the main characters, Evie is driven by her frightening past - an addict for a mother, seedy men, foster care, desperate attempts at friendship with Cassie and boys like Butch and abusers like Trey. They all come in to her life again as an adult with her work as a psychologist dealing with sex offenders. Evie's demons and unresolved truths are relentless and a ...more
Isis Ray-sisco
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely not for everyone...there is subject matters that may trigger some. It is an intense read that keeps you turning the pagers. There are a lot of twists and turns...some expected and others that you don't see coming. It is a enjoyable read if you like this genre. It's dark and gritty and full of action. It vacillates between Butch and Evie's perspectives. I would recommend it to others.
Corrinne
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hanging tree

It was interesting and surprising not what I was expecting and thought it was hinting at especially about Cassie and then mix in also butch and Sebastian. The ending was not what I was expecting but was good but ending with Sebastian was a bit of a twist it would be good to read Sebastian's story as he seems interesting but also devious
Amanda Williams
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in from the very second I started reading it. This author has now become one of my go-to authors. This had murder, suspense, horror, mystery. It had an amazing storyline that will keep you guessing and I'm really looking forward to continuing this series. This author is absolutely first-rate
Bella
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant, well-written, disturbing book by Ellery Kane. A real psychological thriller that hooked me from the first page, I was utterly captivated by the characters the author brings to life so incredibly well. An absolute must read for all loves of the genre, and for those who aren't sure about it as well.
Valisa S.
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hung Up on The Hanging Tree

This book was phenomenal. Evie and Butch both pulled me into their memories effortlessly. Even knowing "technically" who did what, the mystery in the present along with the past being slowly exposed makes the story AMAZING! This author is definitely now on my follow list.
Jackie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Evil is a successful therapist, but she’s haunted by something that happened when she was thirteen. She remembers a bit but not much. The story is extremely gripping and impossible to put down until you’ve finished. Received a free copy and reviewed because it’s fantastic. Don’t miss out once it’s released.
Kaila
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was an amazing story.. creepy... thrilling..and just a lot of fun. i enjoyed the dynamics.. i enjoyed the page turning awe i felt..i enjoyed being on the edge of my seat curious to see what was next. all around very well written and good story.
Abby
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Novel

The story was intriguing and I wanted to find out what happened. However, there was too much reflecting on the past between the dialogue. This made it difficult to follow the storyline.
Maria Angie Mendoza
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book 2 in the Doctors of Darkness series but it can be read as a standalone.
A chilling and intense mysterious psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns. I was captivated by the suspense of who’s who and what’s what and the ending was not anything I expected.
Mary Sheppard
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hanging Tree.

The book grabbed me in the beginning, and then slowed essay down. Eventually, all the switching from past to present made sense. But the ending was a surprise. Can you say misdirection?
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Now or Never (San Francisco Thunder #4)
  • Hideaway Cove (Windfall Island, #2)
  • This Is How You Fall
  • The Accidental Abduction
  • Body Rocks (Off Beat, #1)
  • Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3)
  • In Hot Water (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #3)
  • Coming of Winter (Jeremy Winter Thriller #1)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • Fire Kin (The Half-Light City, #4)
  • The Second Wife
  • My Favorite Cowboy (Heart of Texas #3)
  • The Given (Celestial Blues, #3)
  • Hot to the Touch (Brotherhood by Fire, #1)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)
  • Bonded (The Cavanaugh Brothers, #4)
  • Shadowbound (Shadow World, #5)
  • Perfect Timing
Forensic psychologist by day, novelist by night, Ellery Kane has been writing--professionally and creatively--for as long as she can remember. Just like many of her main characters, Ellery loves to ask why, which is the reason she became a psychologist in the first place. Real life really is stranger than fiction, and Ellery's writing is often inspired by her day job. Evaluating violent criminals ...more

Doctors of Darkness (3 books)
  • Daddy Darkest (Doctors of Darkness, #1)
  • The First Cut (Doctors of Darkness, #3)
“Whatcha listenin' to?"

"Oh, you probably wouldn't like it."

"Try me."

He shrugs as he passes the headphones across the slim space between our beds. This is gonna be good. I've got him pegged for a Yanni diehard, and I smirk a little as the music starts. One of my cellies had a thing for electronic rock, so I recognize the song right away. With the heavy breathing at the start, it's unforgettable and creepy as hell. Seriously. Like stalker-level shit.

I want you now, tomorrow won't do. There's a yearning inside and it's showing through.

"Depeche Mode, huh? Cool, man. Wouldn't have figured it."

Reach out your hands and accept my love. We've waited for too long. Enough is enough. Like I said, stalker-level.

His laugh is jittery, quick as the cockroaches in Folsom. "It's my favorite song. Reminds me of being seventeen again. You know, when sex was all you could think about."

I pretend I'm not totally skeeved out when I return his headphones and shut the lights.”
0 likes