Start by marking “The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)

(Doctors of Darkness #2)

What if you couldn’t remember the worst night of your life?
What if you couldn’t forget it?

May 13, 1994.

On her thirteenth birthday, newly orphaned Evie, witnesses a brutal attack at the hanging tree. She wakes the next morning on a bus to Los Angeles, dazed and bruised and desperate to remember. Her best friend died that night—she’s sure of it. But there’s no body, no crime
Published April 1st 2018 by Ellery Kane Publishing (first published March 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging Tree

Start your review of The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2018
First off I want to say that I did receive an early copy of this novel but I also bought my own, so this in no way effects my thoughts on this novel.

Why on earth did I not read this sooner!? This author always pulls me into every story that she writes even if it's not normally a genre that I would reach for. this story is dark and full of mystery but the characters are the true shinning stars of her work, they always have been for me and this one is no different. The world building is always gr
Cathy
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hanging Tree by Ellery Kane is one of those books that you are not going to want to put down so make sure you have plenty of time to read!
Something happened to Evie's friend on the day Evie turned 13....what happened though even Evie is not sure and she was right there at the Hanging Tree when it happened.....
Very well written with characters that come alive in your mind. Excellent story with dark twists and turns that leave you turning the pages to see where it leads. Thank you Ellery Kane
Jessica Bronder
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Evie’s thirteenth birthday she witnesses her best friend, Cassie killed at the Hanging Tree. But she wakes the next morning on a bus, battered, and not completely sure of what happened. It’s been 23 years and she still doesn’t really know who killed Cassie. Now she works as a therapist for sexual predators and still wants to know what happened. So she starts hitchhiking in the same area to jog her memory but finds more than what she expected.

When Butch was a teenager her lost his family and
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, I want to thank Ellery Kane for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

WOW!! What an amazing read from Ellery Kane with the Hanging Tree!!! She was not kidding when it said right on the cover some nights were left unforgotten!! This is the second book I have read from her and she did not disappoint me! I love her writing style and chilling story line that draws you into the story like no other does. Now every time I see a big hanging tree it will give me chills!!
This
Pat
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Catch up review. 3.5 stars.

I really don't remember much about this either, unfortunately. I liked it but didn't think it was great. Its all about what a young girl witnesses from this hanging tree when she was 13 but can't remember all the details - like the face of the villain. I think I'd had enough of stories involving amnesia at this point. I know it happens but its not THAT common. Cut to the present and she's some sort of therapist and another girl is killed at the hanging tree which she c
Jay
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. That isn't to say it wasn't good, I just expected more I think. The characters were all seriously flawed which is good. I think some of the logic in how the tale unfolded left me feeling unfulfilled. I really liked the way the story switched from the current time then to the past and how it developed from both perspectives. I thought the way both perspectives came together was less inspired. It felt to me that the conclusion was rushed.

This s
Candice Navejar
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
did not want to put down

I read the book in 3 days. It was a great read. I wasn't happy with the ending but everything else was great. It had a few surprises.
HeartBreaker
Jan 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
I got this one as ARC but I was not able to finish it.It didn't even started good for me,so I gave up pretty fast.Sorry.
Becky
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great right up until the very end where I was like WTF.

This one took me longer to get into than the first one did but once I was into it, I really liked it. I’m dying for more books about Cutthroat Cullen and I really like Evie and Butch but that ending came out of nowhere.

Maybe it just needs explored further ....????
OpenBookSociety.com
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heidi

Doctors of Darkness, Book #2
By Ellery A. Kane
ISBN# 9780692053591
Author’s Website: http://ellerykane.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

She saw him strangling her best friend, Cassie. She was up in the tree witnessing the whole ordeal taking place below, and then nothing… She woke up the next morning, battered and bruised, on a bus to L.A. having completely forgotten what happened.

It’s been 23 years and Evie still can’t remember what ha
Jesse
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all, let's get the legal stuff out of the way: "This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review."

The Hanging Tree is a pretty good book. There are a few things that keep it from being great.

First of all, the good stuff. The characters are quite compelling. Every single one of them has a secret or two, and the author does a good job of keeping you interested in the secrets and compels you to keep going in order to find them out. The suspense level is
Cath
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book switches time frames from events that took place in 1994 and 2017, with two main points of view, from the main characters, Butch and Evie. On the night of Evie’s 13th birthday, she goes out, from the care home she has stayed at since the death of her mother, for the night with her best friend Cassie. Something horrible happens that night, at the Hanging Tree. Something which haunts her memories every day for over twenty three years.

She saw her best friend being killed, while she was up
Melanie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
When I read Daddy Darkest I knew Ellery would be one of those authors I always go back too. I noticed The Hanging Tree (Second book in the series, but these are standalones and could be read in any order) was on Kindle Unlimited I had to give it a go! I literally consumed this book in 1 sitting over a Sunday and could not put it down.

The Hanging Tree is told from 2 points of view, Evie and Butch. 2 very different characters, yet tied together but a series of events that happened in the past. The
Rebecca Austin
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-companies
Doctor Evelyn Maddox was found when she was 13 years old bruised and battered and newly orphaned with no memories of what happened to her. Now as an adult she stares at a tree outside her office, which she has named The Hanging Tree and knows it has relevance to her past.

Butch Calder has spent the last 23 years in jail but has never forgotten about events that led him to jail in the first place. Now he is off to figure out the truth behind the events.

Can Evie get her memories back in time and wi
Beverly Laude
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
On her 13th birthday, Evie witnesses the murder of her friend Cassie under a tree. But, years later, she can't remember any of the details. Was Cassie really killed or was it her imagination?

Butch Calder was a troubled young man, turning to violence and drink after the tragic death of his entire family. He starts dating a beautiful young socialite, Gwen, and tries to impress her with a fast car and lies.

Another pivotal character is the evil pimp/drug dealer, Trey, who killed Evie's mother. He ha
Ashley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Ellery Kane that I’ve read. I was extremely pleased, and surprised, with the quality of this book. I knew that it was a psychological thriller and, knowing that, I was prepared and excited even for a book with content such as what was within this novel. However, what I didn’t expect was the raw power and poise with with Kane writes. Her characters are poignant and relatable, raw and scarred. They are multi-dimensional and complex and each page reveals a new trait.

The st
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a definite discovery. The author kindly, at my request, sent me a copy of the audiobook version. I hadn't read anything from Ellery Kane before so I wasn't really sure if this would be something I liked. This story is another psychological thriller, this time with a psychologist as the lead character Evie. I have to say I was really impressed with this story. Evie has had more than her share of challenges in her life but still sees hope and promise in even the worst people she meets. But ...more
Norma
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The curtains open ..."
Kane's book is a clever constructed mystery thriller, written in the first person, which moves between two main protagonists, relating both the current occurrences in the present days of 2017 and their recollections of events in 1994. Dr.Evelyn Maddox, now working with sex offenders on parole, is still haunted by a trauma which took place on her thirteenth birthday when she lost her friend, Cassie, and still blamed herself, trying to recall, unsuccessfully, the face of an
Lita Thomas
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness #2) by Ellery Kane is the next story in the series of doctors in the psychiatric field who have psychological issues of their own. Evie has lived with a drug addicted mother and her drug dealer boyfriend . When the mom dies she finds herself in a group home. At 13 she experiences a trauma under the hanging tree and awakes on a bus in another place with no knowledge of how she got there. Years later she comes back to unravel what happened to her all those yea ...more
Hope Gerhardstein
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book! Evie’s Mother is a drug addicted prostitute who dies while Evie is still young. Evie ends up growing up in L.A. but moves back to her hometown after becoming a psychologist who deals with sexual offenders. The tree outside her office reminds her of her of a bad memory from her 13th Birthday, but she can’t remember all the details. She puts herself in a dangerous situation and is saved by Bruce who is 5 months out of Folsom for killing a girl. A murder occurs at the hanging tree a ...more
Loreana Maier
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-ebook
Great story, confusing and complicated style.

Butch and Evie have had difficult childhoods, each progressed through the adversity differently. The saga revolves around murder, memory loss, drugs, prostitution and violence. You get to see detailed windows into Butch and Evie's struggles to get beyond what can't be remembered, and how they deal with the consequences of their past actions.

This is the first book I've ready by Ellery Kane. I really like the story line presented, Kane does a great job
Katie Thompson
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling Dark Mystery

Evie's best friend Cassie was raped and murdered under The Hanging Tree on Evie's 13th birthday. Now, she's a counselor and therapist for sex offenders, with her office right beside that tree. Butch Calder served a sentence in Fulsom Prison for killing a girl. The two seem to keep crossing paths, and another young girl is found murdered beneath that tree.

The story switches from Evie and Butch, and their present and past. The emotions are raw, numb, awkward, and so vividly
Gail A.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is brilliant in capturing the essence of friendship, justice, addiction, betrayal, determination, forgiveness and hope. One of the main characters, Evie is driven by her frightening past - an addict for a mother, seedy men, foster care, desperate attempts at friendship with Cassie and boys like Butch and abusers like Trey. They all come in to her life again as an adult with her work as a psychologist dealing with sex offenders. Evie's demons and unresolved truths are relentless and a ...more
Jeff
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand-alone novel having no characters in common with the previous book in this series. None of the characters in this somewhat confusing thriller are particularly likable, nor are they fully developed. Some of their actions and behaviors seem too contrived and unrealistic. Still, the story is gripping, although the last chapter is rather strange -- unsettling even.

Kristin James, Eric Stuart, and Brad Oxnam all gave acceptable performances. I especially liked Kristin's voicing of the
Jessica Mitchell
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hanging Tree

Hands down the best book you'll ever read. If you love murder mystery books. I will be looking forward to see more work from this author. Word of warning there are some triggers: rape being one of them. For those with a queasiness about certain things.

Evie is back in her old stomping ground where it all began. She now runs a sex offender therapy as one of the counselors. She wants to remember what happened all those years ago in 1984 when she turned thirteen. Why can't she rememb
Denise
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since I had read the proceeding one I just had to check this one out and was I glad she did. This author gives you a fully loaded suspense murder mystery that keeps you stuck like glue at parts of it. Evie is the character that keeps you going back and turning the pages. She has had a traumatic experience that shapes her life and when it creeps back in she needs some answers. Butch is not your average guy either he has history with keeping you intrigued on his steps. This author gives you a exhi ...more
Isis Ray-sisco
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely not for everyone...there is subject matters that may trigger some. It is an intense read that keeps you turning the pagers. There are a lot of twists and turns...some expected and others that you don't see coming. It is a enjoyable read if you like this genre. It's dark and gritty and full of action. It vacillates between Butch and Evie's perspectives. I would recommend it to others.
Maureen Tumenas
I received an Audible copy of this book to review. The story goes back and forth through past/present and really does go on too long. The narration was fine- female was a little dramatic and I would have preferred to skip most of the short songs the male narrator sang- but overall, better than the average audible narration.

I would give this one a 3.5*, better than average, but not a book I will be asking all my friends to read.
Jackie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Evil is a successful therapist, but she’s haunted by something that happened when she was thirteen. She remembers a bit but not much. The story is extremely gripping and impossible to put down until you’ve finished. Received a free copy and reviewed because it’s fantastic. Don’t miss out once it’s released.
Bella
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant, well-written, disturbing book by Ellery Kane. A real psychological thriller that hooked me from the first page, I was utterly captivated by the characters the author brings to life so incredibly well. An absolute must read for all loves of the genre, and for those who aren't sure about it as well.

• Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • The Rules of Murder (D.I. Dani Stephens, #2)
  • A Whisper of Sorrows (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #6)
  • Little Whispers
  • The Wall (Alex Demarchelier #1)
  • Fearful Symmetry: A DCI Will Blake Novel
  • A Poison Tree
  • Hush (Mason Black, #1)
  • The Restaurant
  • Whispers in the Dark: A Gripping Serial Killer Thriller (Darkwater Cove Psychological Thriller Book 3)
  • Bury Her Bones: A Gripping Serial Killer Thriller (Darkwater Cove Psychological Thriller Book 2)
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • The Hidden Grave: A Chilling Serial Killer Thriller (Harriet Harper Thriller Book 2)
  • Darkwater Cove: A Gripping Serial Killer Thriller (Darkwater Cove Psychological Thriller Book 1)
  • The Creek Killer: A Gripping Serial Killer Thriller (Harriet Harper Thriller Book 1)
  • The Silent Ones
  • Before She's Gone
  • Alter
Forensic psychologist by day, novelist by night, Ellery Kane has been writing--professionally and creatively--for as long as she can remember. Just like many of her main characters, Ellery loves to ask why, which is the reason she became a psychologist in the first place. Real life really is stranger than fiction, and Ellery's writing is often inspired by her day job. Evaluating violent criminals ...more

Doctors of Darkness (4 books)
  • Daddy Darkest (Doctors of Darkness, #1)
  • The First Cut (Doctors of Darkness, #3)
  • Shadows Among Us (Doctors of Darkness #4)