Start by marking “The Wingman” as Want to Read:
The Wingman

The Wingman

(Jack Sharpe #2)

In The Wingman, veteran Midwestern reporter Jack Sharpe has made it big thanks to the deep-rooted voter-fraud conspiracy he uncovered in The People’s House (the first of the series). At his new perch at Republic, one of America’s flashiest and fastest growing news networks, life is good—until it’s not. Following his beat reporter’s gut, he catches a whiff something rotten ...more
Published February 19th 2018 by St. Helena Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wingman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wingman

Start your review of The Wingman
Marcia
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good follow-up to his first book , “The People’s House”. Intriguing plot, if a bit breathless in the telling. Enlightening to hear the ramifications of the Citizen’s United (boy is that misnamed!) Supreme Court ruling from a Washington political insider. Plenty of material left for a sequel.
Jak60
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I started The Wingman immediately after finishing The People's House, trusting that such an outstanding debut would be followed up by a book of equivalent quality.
Unfortunately this did not happen; whether it is a typical case of the notorious sophomore syndrome or else, The Wingman falls into most of the flaws of the political thriller genre that The People's House had brilliantly avoided, to which I sincerely applauded.
The plot here is less strong, kind of disjointed, and more importantly the
Nancy
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
A great ripped from the headlines political thriller. An ex-serviceman runs for president and has some early success in the primaries so Jack Sharpe and his investigative team of TV reporters dig into his background. When they discover his war hero story may not be true, they realize they have found a much bigger story. Hard to put down. This is the second in a series so I am looking forward to reading the first.
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent political thriller!
Bob
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read BOTH of Pepper’s novels for insight into CURRENT American politics‼️

Though fiction, BOTH David Pepper’s mysteries illustrate the weaknesses of America’s current political system - what is going on in Washington, gerrymandering, 2016 election situation and the hidden & powerful influence of money.

Anyone who cares about our country should read BOTH of Pepper’s novels. They BOTH get their point across in a fun and thoughtful way. “The People’s Party” should be read prior to reading Pepper’s 2n
John Bohnert
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another engrossing political thriller by David Pepper.
Larry
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another must read from Mr Pepper

My new favorite reporter, Jack Sharp does another amazing job of uncovering some really bad stuff in our elections and it’s lobbyists. Pepper is really closing in on our politics and all its ugliness. A timely read and a really good political thriller.
Denise
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd time reading. 3.5 stars.
Really like this author even if his story lines scare me.
DD@Phila
Joan
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to book #3- great political thriller!
Ronda Canary
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5
Ken
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wingman by David Pepper is an engrossing follow-up to his first political thriller in this series, "The People's House" which focused on the problems of gerrymandering. In The Wingman, Pepper turns his attention to the curse of dark money infecting our elections.

We are again following veteran reporter Jack Sharpe, but this time he's reporting for national TV news, and he has a team of investigative reporters to chase the mystery. It starts out with an Iraqi war veteran, a Congressman runnin
Miriam
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
David Pepper brings fans another seat-of-your-pants political thriller. Jack Sharpe is on the trail of another political conspiracy that will shake political campaigning to its core. From vicious ad campaigns to 'fixing' elections, Sharpe and his crew investigate all and uncover a well-oiled machine that will chill you to the bone.

This intense political thriller won't let you put The Wingman down until you discover who is behind the political machinations and intrigue. Clear your schedule or set
Scott Belford
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great political thriller by David Pepper. Like his previous book, "The People's House", Pepper presents a highly plausible way for elections to be rigged; this time through the use of the "Citizen's United" ruling allowing Dark Money to buy elections. "The Wingman" is about a conspiracy led by an "embedded" defense contractor who wants a certain outcome in the presidential election and will stop at nothing to get it.

For those of you who don't know, "embedded" contractors are a real and,
Wood Hughes
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writer comes of age

I enjoyed the first novel in this series (The People’s House), but truthfully there were a lot of info dumps and the first half suffered because of it. By the end, you could see the writer finding better ways to bring info into his story without getting away from the human interests that are key to any good work of fiction.

Mr. Pepper has improved his style with this more complicated, and yet more intimate portrayal of Sharpe and his merry band of players.

Great read and I’ll be
Peter Driscoll
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good political thriller!

Excellent read! Mr. Pepper does another outstanding job weaving a story out of current events, fictionalizing everything yet adhering to publicly expressed concerns about the fragility of American democracy. Any political junkie looking for a break will enjoy this thriller.
Michael
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, not great

Both of this authors books have interesting twists, stories within stories. I’d call them ‘beach reading with an interesting perspective.’ I enjoyed the political perspective and information the most, it’s fiction and non-fiction combined. A good read
Brady Smith
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s a great story, very easy flowing and hard to put down. It all comes to a close very quickly though, I expected more at the end. I enjoyed the prequel more but hoping for a few more in the Jack Sharpe series.
Renee Jensen
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I’m hooked

David Pepper’s second Jack Sharpe book The Wingman, is another great read. Very realistic and plausible storyline with interesting characters. David Pepper will stay on my short list of favorite authors. Looking forward to the next installment!
Mary
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Once again, David Pepper gives a political thriller that is terrifying because so much of the background is true. Read it, and then think about how the candidates got on the ballot the next time you vote!
Martha Greenough
Excellent both as a guide to political skullduggery, and as an enjoyable read.
Highly recommended.
Susan Storrs
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary!

Too close for comfort. Who do we trust! I don't want to be cynical, but there may be no choice. We need another Obama.
Michknitz
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simultaneously"ripped from the headlines" and prescient. Hard to put down. ...more
Phil Howard
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good. I didn't like it as much as his first, "The People's House". ...more
Suzi
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am ready for David Pepper's next book. Exciting and well told, sound story line with revealing journalistic insider touches.. I hate to root for the Russian but I do . ...more
Jeffd134
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed a great deal. Hope to read the next one! While I must admit to like The People's House better, this second outing didn't disappoint. ...more
Dorothy Hynous
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
crisp writing, good plot development
scary realistic
Einar Vinje
Why?

Why waste my time reading a fictional novel about the crooked politics when the newspapers everyday publish the real stories that is just as entertaining and scary
Chris
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nowhere near as believable as his first excellent book, which I highly recommend.
Rick Lear
Mar 07, 2018
Mickie
Nov 24, 2019

• The Power Couple
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Under Pressure (Lucas Page, #2)
  • Twenty (Jack Swyteck, #17)
  • The Last Trial (Kindle County #11)
  • Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds, #15)
  • Breathe Your Last (Detective Josie Quinn, #10)
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • The Last Flight
  • The Last Agent (Charles Jenkins, #2)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • The Perfect Marriage
See top shelves…

Jack Sharpe (3 books)
  • The People's House (Jack Sharpe #1)
  • The Voter File (Jack Sharpe #3)

News & Interviews