Start by marking “A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty” as Want to Read:
A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty

A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty

What did a Victorian lady wear for a walk in the park? How did she style her hair for an evening at the theatre? And what products might she have used to soothe a sunburn or treat an unsightly blemish? Mimi Matthews answers these questions and more as she takes readers on a decade-by-decade journey through Victorian fashion and beauty history.

Women's clothing changed dram
Published July 2nd 2018 by Pen & Sword History

To ask other readers questions about A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty

Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
Well this is wonderful, I am a huge fan of Mimi Matthews work, whether that be her beautifully poignant romances, or her well researched actual pieces, like this. I will admit that as soon as I heard about A Victorian Ladies Guide to Fashion and Beauty, I was fascinated by it and I was jumping for pure when I got the opportunity to review it.

This is the perfect reference book for those interested in Victorian fashion and beauty, set out in different sections throughout the book it covers every a
Betty
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Women's fashions, hairstyles, and cosmetics changed a great deal during the Victorian era (between 1840-1900). If you're interested in learning about the various fashion dos and don'ts of a stylish Victorian lady, this is sure to be a book you'll enjoy.

Beautifully illustrated and well researched, Mimi Matthews book, A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty, will tell you everything you wanted to know about fashions of this time period. Sorted by decade, the complete ensemble—dresses, under
Kayleigh
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A fascinating look into the fashion and beauty regimes of the Victorian period.

This book covers everything from silhouettes to shoes to hairstyles and make up with full explanations and as much information as you could possibly want on each subject.

The amount of time and effort that went into a woman’s wardrobe each day is astounding, I honestly don’t know how they did it!

If you’re interested in either the Victorian period or historical fashion then you’ll find this a very informative read.

Than
Annarella
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good book, well written and well researched. It's full of interesting facts and clear explenation of how the Victiorian fashion worked.
The illustration are very good. The book is really entertaining.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Pen & Sword and Netgalley for this ARC
Elizabeth Lloyd
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read many of Mimi's online blog articles I know she has a prodigious knowledge of 19th century customs, art and fashion so I looked forward to learning a great deal from this book.  Well annotated and sourced, the first part takes the reader through each decade from the 1840s to the 1890s. Looking at clothing, underwear, millinery and jewellery, Miss Matthews describes the changing female silhouette, illustrated with beautiful plates of the particular decade. But in no way is this a pedes ...more
Camille
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely fascinating!

I recognised Mimi Matthews’ name as I recently read and enjoyed one of her books, The Pug Who Bit Napoleon, so I got quite excited to see she had another book out.

A Victorian Lady’s Guide to Fashion and Beauty is a thorough study of the world of fashion and beauty in the higher classes of Victorian society. There is so much detail, enriched by wonderful illustrations, that it all comes to life and you can just imagine what it was like. Anyone interested in the time period
Gianna
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is a complete, fully detailed guide to women's clothing and beauty habits in the Victorian Era. Accompanied by drawings, it is an interesting and informative guide, which is a must-have for everyone interested in that era.
Samantha
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent but extremely simple account of Victorian fashion and beauty. I was expecting a much more detailed contextual narrative (in part because the author claimed I would get this in the introduction), so the fact that the majority of the book is organized in something that I can only describe as One Step Beyond List Format was disappointing.

Still, it's accurate to the best of my knowledge, and the illustrations are excellent. I can't recommend it as historical narrative due to poor readabili
Annelies
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, non-fic

Great little book concerning everything to do with lady's fashion during the Victorian era.

The first part is a very methodical overview of the key points of fashion per decade, it is rather list-like and therefore gets a bit tedious, but I guess this would work if you want to use this as a reference book. The changes in dress through the century are addressed in detail, however I think it could do with more pictures. For one because I love those old fashion
Lesley Kay
Dec 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
This is so quaint and sweet, I love it. The illustrations of fashion and culture throughout the years is so neat. I have long held a fascination with Victorian times and everything related to them, so this book was a really fun read for me. It made me super grateful that I am able to slip on a pair of jeans!
Flora
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute delight! I've fallen in love with Miss Matthew's Victorian Romance novels and this one wasn't a disappointment for me either. Once again her meticulous research shines through and the details were refreshing. And of course the art was heavenly.
Lillian
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading all about Victorian Fashion, and my favorite part of this book was that it not only explained the fashion, but it explained why and how the fashion came about. And the thoroughness of the information was astounding! From shoes, hats and coats, to makeup and hair care, this book has it all!
Lora
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, well-organized and clever!
Debbie
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book provides an overview of women's fashion in England between 1840 to 1900. The author used information and quotes from 19th century beauty books, fashion magazines, and lady's journals. She also included some fashion plates. I'm not familiar with the fashion terms of the period. I would have enjoyed more illustrations or more detailed descriptions for commonly used words describing parts of the dress or accessories, but I still found the book very interesting and informative.

The first pa
Nicki Markus
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
A Victorian Lady's Guide to Fashion and Beauty was a delightful and informative read. Taking fashion and beauty in separate sections, the chapters moved from decade to decade, outlining the major fashions and changes during that period. The illustrations were helpful to demonstrate the different styles. If anything, I might have liked to have seen a few more included. Overall, though, this is a nicely presented, easy to read, quick guide to Victorian women's fashion, which will be of interest to ...more
Andrea Johnson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as an ARC through NetGalley and the publisher.
It is a non-fiction book thoroughly researched and written in great detail. What to wear and when. What not to wear. How the fashions changed throughout the period. I found the detailed descriptions a bit overwhelming but the pictures really helped to illustrate the fashions discussed.
Melissa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great overview of women's middle- and upper-class fashion in the Victorian era. I would have appreciated a glossary of terms (with photos!) for the fabrics and some of the bonnets.
Annette Meier
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great visual insight to all the costuming I read about in the historical fiction books I read/listen to. Very well done!
Tracy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book belongs on your bookshelf next to What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist—the Facts of Daily Life in 19th-Century England to round out your knowledge of 19th-century life.

Ms. Matthews takes a chronological tour from 1840s through 1890s in the first part of the guide. Next comes fashion etiquette ("What to Wear and When to Wear It"). The final part covers Victorian beauty: haircare, skincare, and cosmetics and was my favorite as it was so much fun to re
Amy
Alison
Apr 30, 2019
Amanda Rae
Jun 10, 2019
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical non-fiction and proper historical romances set in Victorian England. Her articles on nineteenth century history have been published on various academic and history sites, including the Victorian Web and the Journal of Victorian Culture, and are also syndicated weekly at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resi ...more