Start by marking “A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)

A Blight of Blackwings

(Seven Kennings #2)

Alternative cover edition of ISBN 9780356509617 found here

From the New York Times bestselling creator of The Iron Druid Chronicles comes the highly anticipated sequel to A Plague of Giants: A world-breaking war--an invasion of giant warriors--that inspires a movement to fight back.

SOLDIER AND AVENGER
Daryck is from a city that was devastated by the war with the Bone Giants,
Published February 6th 2020 by Orbit (first published February 4th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about A Blight of Blackwings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Blight of Blackwings

Start your review of A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I listened to this through my library and quite enjoyed it. Plan on getting the Audible edition.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Emma
Following straight on from A Plague of Giants, this book throws the reader right back into the story. This is somewhat problematic if, like me, you read the first book some time ago and can't recall the details. It meant that initially I struggled to connect with, or even remember, some of the characters. Perhaps I should have read the first again, but honestly, I just didn't want to.

There's a lot to like here, especially the very real diversity of this world, and above all the imaginative and
Bradley
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm very happy with Hearne's epic fantasy. It has all that vibe of the hinterlands and schools of primal magic while breaking a bit away from the first book's slightly YA vibe to hit pretty hard on the political stuff.

I mean, damn, I didn't expect it to veer away from political intrigue and just dive into CREATING A NEW POLITICAL SYSTEM instead. :) But why not? Fantasy (as well as SF) has always been known for vast worldbuilding, and this is just another aspect of the same. :) But please don't
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Thanks to Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

CW: general violence and political intrigue

What a follow-up to the first book!

I don't want to say too much, but it follows some of the same characters as the first book, as well as adds in new perspectives of characters that were on the side in A Plague of Giants and completely new ones. The book expands on the world that was already given. You learn more about the Bone Giants, the Kennings, and some new worlds. Believe
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I love the episodic feel of these books. There wasn't a single viewpoint I didn't enjoy - and once again it was the world itself that pulled me in.

Kevin Hearne has definitely created something wholly his own and I love that I get to be a part of it.

Excited as fuck for book 3!
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
A Blight of Blackwings is the second book in a wonderful fantasy series from one of my favorite authors, Kevin Hearne. The massive story is set in a world where certain members of the population are blessed with Kennings, the ability to manipulate one of the four elements, plants, or animals. The six nations of Teldwena are dealing with the aftermath from an invasion of an unknown race simply known as the Bone Giants (although some know the race to be the Eculans), as well as the discovery of ...more
Beth
Kevin Hearne has imagined another spectacular series to devour. He has created a unique writing style that pulls the reader into the world of his creation.

I do have to admit, this book had a slow start. It took me awhile to get caught up in the telling, which I do feel is the transition between storyteller (the bard) and the story itself but once it gets going, Im all in.

I highly recommend you sit aside plenty of time to travel through the lands that contain Bone Giants and Kennings.

I
Marlene
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

Like the character Dervan in this story, I became so caught up in the tale as it unfolded that I wanted spoilers! Or at least I wanted Fintan the Bard to get on with it a whole lot faster. Which meant that as much as I love the audio version of this story, I switched to the book at about the point just so I could find out what happened next. And next after that. And after that. And so on right until barreling through to the end, even knowing that this
Glennis
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The second book deals spies and the building of a new city. Only a few new characters come on the scene and there are some interesting discoveries during this book. Everyone finds out what is the seventh kenning and how it will change things. Most of the book is still told in flashbacks with everything being centered in Brynt with Dervan writing down everything the bard says. And even though he has close ties to the leader of his people, he is still surprised by what goes on behind the scenes.
I
Kat  Hooper
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Shawn Hartmann
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the first book in the series, Plague of Giants. This second book has come after Kevin teamed up with another author to right a fun set of books that are both whimsical and fun, full of endless innuendo. It's that work that has made its way into A Blight of Blackwings and quite honestly, has no place. Plague of Giants felt like a fresh new writing style from Kevin but all the dick innuendo in A Blight of Blackwings feels like several steps back. They have a time and place but not in the 7 ...more
Colette
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Kevin Hearne and the Iron Druid series which has ended. Fortunately I am enjoying the Seven Kennings series too. The first two books are a delight.

If you have never heard Kevin speak, you may not know how fun his audio books are. His narrator, Luke Daniels, is amazing and Kevin often plants difficult words, songs, and characters (voicing several different dogs for instance) into his books as a joke and a challenge for the narrator.

I read and listened to both Seven Kennings books more than
Tish
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars Satisfying sequel to A Plague of Giants if you have just recently read that one--or have a better memory than I do, anyway. I thought Hearne could have done a better job catching the reader up a bit rather than just jumping right in. With so many characters and nations and kennings to keep up with, I had some difficulty getting into this one. However, like the first, I did enjoy the characters and the pretty amazing world-building. I didn't feel like the plot advanced much here, but ...more
Linnaea
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is much better than my reading speed shows- yes it did take all 21 days of my library period to read and I cannot think of why it would, this book was exciting, answered questions from the previous book, and left me awaiting book 3.

This book picks up right where A Plague of Giants left off and follows the same style; the bard is telling stories about the Bone Giants and the world of the continent. We have some of the same narrators as in book 1 and we gain new voices here in book 2.
Sarah Wright
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars epic hopepunk fantasy at its most appealing

You might not expect a setting with animals like gravemaws and meat squirrels to be home to an upbeat, optimistic narrative. Then again, maybe youre familiar with Kevin Hearnes talent for juxtaposing the absurd with the touching and having both come away stronger for the proximity. A Blight of Blackwings, the second installment in the Seven Kennings trilogy, is Hearne in fine form, an intricately layered tale with insightful commentary on the
Jane
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

You can read all of my reviews at https://www.NerdGirlLovesBooks.com.

Wow. What a fantastic second book in an entertaining, riveting fantasy series. I loved the first book, A Plague of Giants so much (you can read my review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) that I was worried the second book would let me down. It did not.

The second book picks up shortly after the ending of the first book. The book is told in short chapters from different characters' perspectives, narrated by
Erik Parsons
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full Disclosure, I listened to the audiobook. Kevin Hearne continues to world build with this second installment of the Seven Kennings book series. Established characters continue to be developed, with new characters not taking away from the overall themes of love, loss, war, duty, and building a better world. There are twists you don't see coming, things that you do, but overall it is a good second book in the series. My gripes are few. I would highly recommend the audiobook, as Luke Daniels ...more
Riley
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Again, Kevin Hearne as put me through an emotional journey. After reading A Plague of Giants, I thought I would be prepared. I was not. Mr. Hearnes masterful storytelling is ingenious, wildly inventive and so skillfully presented that this reader was blown away before being given a chance to brace against the wind.

Having read book 1 over 2 years ago, I had a bit of a struggle getting back into the story. But somehow, suddenly I was there. There are so many fascinating, colorful characters, each
Will
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I suggest reviewing the first book in the trilogy before starting this one. It took me quite awhile to get into the book because I didnt remember the characters.

Brian
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and Ballantine for access to the eARC. I was highly anticipating the release of this book. I finished it several weeks ago and have enjoyed thinking back on it. Kevin Hearne has created a lush and vibrant world filled with mysteries that build and unfold with each page. Each chapter is told in from a shifting first person perspective. First from Dervan who tells of the current time period and his handling of the Bard Fenton, and Second from Fenton who transforms himself using ...more
penny shima glanz
In A Blight of Blackwings, the Raelech Bard Fintan continues his tales to the peoples congregated on Survivor Field in Pelemyn. We watch the historian Dervan wrestle with new knowledge and his role as he records Fintan's words. In this second book of the series, Hearne has polished his storytelling device and taken it to new levels. We meet and learn more about the characters of this new generation. It's a generation devastated yet also full of hope and revolutionary ideas. Each voice reacts ...more
Christine
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The world created by Kevin Hearne in this series is brilliant and deep and fully thought out. It's truly brilliant. Every character, every country, every church and political structure is thought out to the tiniest detail.

Honestly, the only real negative of this series is that it feels more like one insanely long book and not a series of individual stories.
Beth Cato
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy, netgalley
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

I loved Kevin Hearnes first book in this epic series, and the sequel lives up to all of my expectations. I needed a smidgen of time at the start to find the groove of this world, as its been a while since I read the first, but I soon recognized characters and immersed myself in Hearnes incredible setting. The magic continues to fascinate methe kennings with their unique abilities and consequencesbut the characters are what truly shine here. I
Donna
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have you read A Plague of Giants? No? STOP! Read that first. Then come back and read this terrific sequel. Keven Hearne has created a fantastic world where anything can happen and usually does. With masterful world building, witty humor and creative politics this tale will suck you in and keep your imagination a boil. And while this tale may echo some of the headlines in todays news I can guarantee you will enjoy this story more. This is epic fantasy at its finest.
Chrisana
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness,  this book was fabulous!  I  have long awaited the sequel to A Plague of Giants and I am not disappointed. So many times you wait for the sequel and are disappointed with the results,  but not today.  This book is great!
It continues the tale without missing a beat, bone giants and bards. A wild ride  that will make you laugh and cry.
5 stars, highly recommended!
Kate
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book picked up exactly where the last left off. I would highly recommend reading them back-to-back as there are lots of storylines and narrators to keep track of. This series gets Super Favorite status now. The magic system is just so cool and I love the way the story is being told. Highly recommend!!
Kevin
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Continues where Plague of Giants left off. Both in storyline and in amazing writing. Such an interesting story with characters you become enthralled with. Can't wait for the next book!
Tonstant Weader
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Blight of Blackwings is the second book in Kevin Hearnes Seven Kennings fantasy series. It moves several groups of people forward from A Blight of Blackwings. As before we have the historian Dervan narrating the story with some of his own life, but primarily he records the tales of the bard Fintan whose kenning is being able to tell stories of other people in the first person by taking their form and reciting their stories verbatim.

We come to the world after the devastating invasion of the
Clifford Smith
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors and this book reminds me why. Crafted with wonderful characters and tales of wonder. Looking forward to the next book. Recommend for liberal fantasy readers! ;-)
Kirby
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always a pleasure getting lost in a Kevin Hearne adventure and this lived up to all expectation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • The Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • Iron Council (New Crobuzon, #3)
  • Grass Kings, Vol. 3
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • The Crafter's Dungeon (Dungeon Crafting #1)
  • Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
  • Mirror: The Mountain
  • Eggsistential Thoughts by Gudetama the Lazy Egg
  • Mastermind (Titan Online #1)
  • Beginner's Luck (Character Development Book 1)
  • Bloodchild and Other Stories
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and the Tales of Pell, a humorous fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. INK & SIGIL, a new urban fantasy series set in the Iron Druid universe, will be out in 2020.

Seven Kennings (3 books)
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
  • A Curse of Krakens (The Seven Kennings, #3)

News & Interviews

“You gotta do the right thing and do a friend a good turn You gotta work and play, love and hate, make mistakes and learn” 0 likes
“When I walk abroad in the world I am moved to awe and wonder Grateful for such precious time For at home I rarely wonder And worry about the passing time Cloistered from the precious world So now it is once again time For me to embrace the wide world And renew my sense of precious wonder” 0 likes