Start by marking “The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings” as Want to Read:

"The Genesis Record" is the only commentary on the complete Book of Genesis written by a creationist scientist. Written as narrative exposition rather than a critical verse-by-verse analysis (although discussions on all important historical and scientific problems are woven into the narrative), “The Genesis Record” is equally useful to both the theologically trained and ...more
Published February 1st 1976 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Genesis Record, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genesis Record

Start your review of The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
Joshua Mitchell
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow...this devotional and scientific and historical commentary took me about 5 years to get through. But that included putting it down for about 1 year before I got married and then for 2 years while I lived "overseas" in Hawaii. This is a fantastic commentary with tons of great information about the culture, geography, and events that surrounded the development of the nation of Israel. I highly recommend that if you are a Biblical scholar, or try to be, like myself...pick it up and struggle ...more
Rich
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jesus said that if you do not believe the words Moses wrte how will you believe what He says?

If you have a difficult time with "in the beginning God" creatd. Then we will have a difficult time knowing He can make us new creations.
Don't let the lies and science so called of today and the world trip you up. Grab this study and go verse by verse with the dependability of the WOrd of God witha good teacher and some wonderful proofs the Lord has given us that point to Him.
Lisa
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It is unlike any other commentary. At times, I felt as though I was reading a novel. This book made Bible characters and places more real to me. I felt sad when some of the characters died because I almost felt like I knew them. A must read for anyone studying Genesis or for someone who has grown bored with familiarity and needs a fresh perspective.
Rod Innis
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago but I do keep going back to it as I read the book of Genesis. It is easy to read but a lot of great information about the book of Genesis
Tintinrulz
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The Genesis Record" by Henry M. Morris is an exhaustive commentary on the Book of Genesis as found in the Old Testament section of the Bible. The book tackles the many contexts contained herein: historical, cultural, theological, linguistic and even the scientific. For a book that's almost 40 years old, the scientific facts are surprisingly up-to-date (probably because he adheres strongly to a literal interpretation of Genesis). The only truly disputable theories presented are one or two ...more
John Rossitto
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
I had the privilege of having Dr. Morris as a professor at What is now San Diego Christian College.in the 1970s. I commit to focus on a book of the Bible each year, reading it over and over while reading commentaries. The Genesis Record was the last of the year. Knowing Dr. Morris, this is commentary reflects the scholarship of a godly man with the mindset of a scientist. Being one of the prime movers in the modern young Earth creationists, his insights on the first few chapters of Genesis ...more
Larry Killion
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-commentary
“This is quite possibly the BEST Commentary on the Book of Genesis that you will find on the market today. I've rated it as 5 stars and marked it as one of my FAVORITES."

Larry K wrote this review Saturday, March 7, 2009.
Laura Hodgins
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
So interesting. I can't believe I read the whole thing.
Terry Morgan
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read on the book of Genesis. I have taught Genesis for a local Bible College, and this was my go to book. This is a must have for a good Christian library.
Steven Below
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I once read a perspective on the importance of the book of Genesis, and how a person's weak point of view on It could lead to compromises that can jeopardize their foundational understanding of scriptural integrity. The Genesis Record will help foster some important critical thinking strategies about the importance of having a solid position in regards to origins and the assured nature of beginnings.
Judith Gerhardt
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend.

Could not put the book down. Totally awesome and informative in every way. I recommend this book to everyone wholeheartedly. This amazing record of Genesis will touch the hearts of many people who read it. I have already recommended this book to others and will buy more to give away. Excellent.
Wavey Cowpar
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great and really detailed commentary. I really enjoyed it.
Michael Schmid
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genesis, commentary
A very helpful, balanced and accessible study of Genesis, with a good balance between study of the text and devotional material.
Rita Schunk
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book walked me through Genesis verse by verse with great explanations and context. I know so much more about this amazing first book of the Bible.
Glenn Davis
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for any person who wants to and needs to understand the book of Genesis. I was able to use much of the information to be able to add to my Bible study teachings. This takes you chapter by chapter, paragraph by paragraph through the book of Genesis in a way that is simple to understand.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Nancy Bandusky
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent uncompromising Biblical narrative commentary on the first book, the foundational book, of the inspired Word of God - The Bible.

The author takes the reader verse by verse through Genesis providing information to fully understand this important, and often ignored, book of the Bible.
Tim Woody
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theological
Both readable and good as a reference. He does great job on the creation narrative and one of the best exegetical treatments of Jacob. Although he does precisely what he warns against with Joseph. Readable 6/10 as a reference 8/10.
Nathan
The Genesis Record is an excellent, well-written presentation of what the book of Genesis teaches us about Creation and the Flood. This book helped me learn to take Scripture at face value and to reject man-made ideas such as the "Gap Theory".
Dustin
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Morris's commentary causes the reader to view the Genesis account in new light with an in depth analysis of the true meaning of the Hebrew language in which it was written. The narrative method in which he wrote the book make the stories in Genesis more personal to the reader.
Kym
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this! Fascinating account with scientific support for the Creation and all of the histories laid out for us in the book of Genesis.
Troy Mcgahan
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful
Jeffrey
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
My Genesis text book from Bible College. Henry Morris is great and this book has many good things and has with stood the test of time.
Adam Ross
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good, not great.
Aundre-marc Stewart
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading again!
Ben
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read, and despite the fact that Morris makes some rather sizeable leaps in logic at times, I still consider this book to be a valuable resource.
Seth Winterhalter
Ed
Jan 02, 2014

• After The Flood: the early Post-Flood History of Europe
  • The Holy Bible: English Standard Version
  • 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
  • Chess and the Art of War: Ancient Wisdom to Make You a Better Player
  • The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace
  • Further Along the Road Less Traveled: Mythology and Human Nature
  • Stalin: The Kremlin Mountaineer (Icons)
  • Holy Bible: New International Version
  • HCSB: Holman Christian Standard Bible
  • Up from Slavery
  • The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected
  • The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing
  • 101 Things I Learned in Engineering School
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • The Pink Swastika
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Final Events & the Secret Government Group on Demonic UFOs & the Afterlife
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
“The Bible as a whole would surely be considered (even by those who don’t believe in its inspiration) as the book that has exerted the greatest influence on history of any book ever produced. The Bible, however, is actually a compilation of many books, and the Book of Genesis is the foundation of all of them.” 0 likes
“It has often been pointed out that if a person really believes Genesis 1:1, he will not find it difficult to believe anything else recorded in the Bible. That is, if God really created all things, then He controls all things and can do all things.” 0 likes